THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Udfa Thread

Harry Buffalo

I think alot of these guys are going to have a real chance of making the team. Cooper and Sanford are going to push for taking spots from Mitchel and maybe even Norwood. The DB's were brought in will make a good push to take the OkState Cb spot and the safeties have a good chance of pushing out Ventrone and maybe even Hagg. We could even see an extra roster spot open if Smelley shows to be a good H back pick and takes both Alex Smiths and Marecic's spots.

Players that I think currently make the strongest case would be...

Mike Allen - Good speed, good size, position of need. Came from a small school, so we do't really know exactly how good he is or can be. We currently have Haden, Brown, Dockery, Patterson, and I guess this David Sims character (listed as DB), and our 7th round pick who isn't guaranteed to make the squad either. Locks here are Haden, Brown, and Patterson. Dockery seems the next most likely and I have never heard of Sims.

Jermaine Saffold - Good spead, decent-ish size and good speed. In my opinion we have 4 current locks for the WR position. Little, Massaquoi, Little, and Benjamin. Carlton Mitchell is only one of the other 3 that I think stands a chance (It's him Owen Spencer, and Rod Windsor). Mitchell has the speed and size, and I am rooting for him, but he has had trouble catching. If we take 6, I think Saffold has a great shot to make this team.

Josh Cooper - Doesn't really have any of the measurables that you look for, but is a good familiar target to Weeden which may help him shine in the offseason and Pre-season. The rest is pretty much the same as above.

William Green - Blast from the past. But seriously, has average size and average strength and below-to-average speed for a 4-3 DE. We just signed two DEs, and I think that we are potentially going to move Billy Winn over (though as a 6th rounder, is guaranteed anything). Like pretty much every position on this roster, it is a position of need.

Jake Anderson - Has that prototypical size and strength. From an MAC school, so may not get the recognition he deserves, IDK I have never watched him play. I feel like a lot of being an offensive lineman is mental. You can always learn better technique, which is why I think if you keep someone you go with someone that is raw, but has potential. I think that Shugarts and Cleveland also have as good of a chance. I just am going to take Anderson

Garth Gerhart - We dont have a backup center. He is a center. End.

That is 6 players. Do I truly think that many will make it, no. But they have a lot of the measurables, and as one of the last cuts, I feel you have to look more at potential than say preseason production.

In all honesty I think that 4 will make it. Allen, Saffold, Gerhart and Anderson/Shugarts/Cleveland.

For the most part they only have to beat out some scrubs. Of those 4, I would say the OL will have the toughest time. We have some young players there already. Lauvao, Pinkston, Ryan Miller, Schwartz. I dont think any of those 4 get cut. Then we have locks in Mack and Thomas. That is 6, and we likely take 10, if Gerhart does in fact make it, that is 7. room for 3 more. All three COULD make it, but I think we keep Cousins and Greco to bring us to 9, so there is my room for one more.

EDIT: Forgot about Norwood in the WR department. He is definitely ahead of Mitchell. Not a guarantee, but much closer than Mitchell is.

Here's the list as listed on the Brown's website:

MIKE ALLEN – Four year letterman at James Madison University (2008-11)… Began collegiate career as a wide receiver before converting to defense prior to junior season… Totaled 63 career tackles, 10 passes defensed, three interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery… Attended Blessed Sacrament Huguenot High School in Powhatan, Va.

JAKE ANDERSON – Four year letterman at the University of Akron (2008-11)… Did not miss a game in four years, appearing in all 48… Utilized mostly at right tackle… Attended McDowell High School in Erie Pa.

JOHNSON BADEMOSI – Appeared in 48 games at Stanford University (2008-11)… Totaled 122 career tackles, two forced fumbles and one interception… Was also a member of the track and field team at Stanford… Attended Gonzaga High School in in Silver Spring, Md.

MATT CLEVELAND – Three year starter at the University of Idaho (2009-11)… Miss the 2008 season due to injury, but went on to start the next 38 games at left tackle… Attended Kentwood High School in Covington, Wash.

JOSH COOPER – Tallied 161 career receptions, 1,696 receiving yards and 11 receiving touchdowns at Oklahoma State University (2008-11)… As a senior, finished second on the team in receptions (71) and receiving yards (716), while adding three touchdown catches… Attended Mustang (Okla,) High School.

EMANUEL DAVIS – Appeared in 49 career games at East Carolina University (2008-11) with 38 starts… Notched 230 career tackles, nine interceptions, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 1.5 sacks… Attended Manteo (N.C.) High School.

L.J. FORT – Appeared in 50 games game at the University of Northern Iowa (2008-11) with 34 starts… Finished 2011 as the Division I FCS national leader in total tackles (184) and tackles per game (14.15)… Named the Missouri Valley Football Conference's Defensive Player of the Year and was selected as the FCS National Defensive Player of the Year by both College Sporting News and College Sports Madness… Finished fifth in school history with 356 career stops… Attended Waynesville (Mo.) High School.

GARTH GERHART – Started 35 of the 39 games in which he saw action in at Arizona State University (2008-11)… Opened 27 games at center, five at right guard and three at left guard… Brother, Toby, is a running back for the Minnesota Vikings… Attended Norco (Calif.) High School.

TASHAUN GIPSON – Four year starter at the University of Wyoming (2008-11)… Notched nine career interceptions… As a senior, recorded 95 tackles and three interceptions… Attended Kimball High School in Dallas, Texas.

WILLIAM GREEN – Appeared in 53 contests with four starts at the University of Florida (2008-11)… Totaled 53 tackles and 2.5 sacks… As a senior, saw action in 13 games, notching 21 tackles and half a sack… Attended Spain Park High School in Hoover, Ala.

ANTWUAN REED – Four year letterman at the University of Pittsburgh (2008-11)… As a senior, totaled 30 tackles, seven passes defensed and three fumble recoveries, including returning one for a touchdown… Named to the All-Big East second team after final season… Attended Greater Johnstown (Pa.) High School.

BERT REED – Four year letterman at Florida State University (2008-11)… Finished career ranked fourth in school history in receptions (170) and 12th in receiving yards (2,022)… Also notched 10 career touchdown receptions, while adding 34 rushing attempts for 243 yards with three scores… As a senior, totaled 29 receptions for 403 yards with five touchdowns… Attended Bay High School in Panama City, Fla.

JERMAINE SAFFOLD – Four year letterman at Missouri State University (2008-11)… Set the school single-season season (913 in 2011) and career (2,221) records for receiving yardage… As a senior, recorded 45 receptions with eight touchdowns and ranked 25th nationally in receiving yards per game (83.0)… Nine career 100-yard receiving performances were also a school record… Attended Grandview (Mo.) High School.

J.B. SHUGARTS – Four year letterman at Ohio State University (2008-11)… Three year starter at right tackle… Father, Bret, was a defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1987)… Attended Klein (Texas) High School.

ANDREW SWEAT – Appeared in 49 career games at Ohio State University (2008-11)… Totaled 201 career tackles, three interceptions, three forced fumbles and one sack… As a senior, finished second on the team with 72 tackles, while adding one interception and one forced fumble… Attended Trinity High School in Washington, Pa.

I didn't expect to see Bademosi as he was rumored going to San Francisco as well as the Browns. I figured Frisco, with their being a contender & having Harbaugh, would have the inside track.

It's always fun to watch these UDFAs battle & see what "sleepers" may be out there.

Mike

Here's the list as listed on the Brown's website:

MIKE ALLEN Four year letterman at James Madison University (2008-11)… Began collegiate career as a wide receiver before converting to defense prior to junior season… Totaled 63 career tackles, 10 passes defensed, three interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery… Attended Blessed Sacrament Huguenot High School in Powhatan, Va.

JAKE ANDERSON Four year letterman at the University of Akron (2008-11)… Did not miss a game in four years, appearing in all 48… Utilized mostly at right tackle… Attended McDowell High School in Erie Pa.

JOHNSON BADEMOSI Appeared in 48 games at Stanford University (2008-11)… Totaled 122 career tackles, two forced fumbles and one interception… Was also a member of the track and field team at Stanford… Attended Gonzaga High School in in Silver Spring, Md.

MATT CLEVELAND Three year starter at the University of Idaho (2009-11)… Miss the 2008 season due to injury, but went on to start the next 38 games at left tackle… Attended Kentwood High School in Covington, Wash.

JOSH COOPER Tallied 161 career receptions, 1,696 receiving yards and 11 receiving touchdowns at Oklahoma State University (2008-11)… As a senior, finished second on the team in receptions (71) and receiving yards (716), while adding three touchdown catches… Attended Mustang (Okla,) High School.

EMANUEL DAVIS Appeared in 49 career games at East Carolina University (2008-11) with 38 starts… Notched 230 career tackles, nine interceptions, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 1.5 sacks… Attended Manteo (N.C.) High School.

L.J. FORT Appeared in 50 games game at the University of Northern Iowa (2008-11) with 34 starts… Finished 2011 as the Division I FCS national leader in total tackles (184) and tackles per game (14.15)… Named the Missouri Valley Football Conference's Defensive Player of the Year and was selected as the FCS National Defensive Player of the Year by both College Sporting News and College Sports Madness… Finished fifth in school history with 356 career stops… Attended Waynesville (Mo.) High School.

GARTH GERHART Started 35 of the 39 games in which he saw action in at Arizona State University (2008-11)… Opened 27 games at center, five at right guard and three at left guard… Brother, Toby, is a running back for the Minnesota Vikings… Attended Norco (Calif.) High School.

TASHAUN GIPSON Four year starter at the University of Wyoming (2008-11)… Notched nine career interceptions… As a senior, recorded 95 tackles and three interceptions… Attended Kimball High School in Dallas, Texas.

WILLIAM GREEN Appeared in 53 contests with four starts at the University of Florida (2008-11)… Totaled 53 tackles and 2.5 sacks… As a senior, saw action in 13 games, notching 21 tackles and half a sack… Attended Spain Park High School in Hoover, Ala.

ANTWUAN REED Four year letterman at the University of Pittsburgh (2008-11)… As a senior, totaled 30 tackles, seven passes defensed and three fumble recoveries, including returning one for a touchdown… Named to the All-Big East second team after final season… Attended Greater Johnstown (Pa.) High School.

BERT REED Four year letterman at Florida State University (2008-11)… Finished career ranked fourth in school history in receptions (170) and 12th in receiving yards (2,022)… Also notched 10 career touchdown receptions, while adding 34 rushing attempts for 243 yards with three scores… As a senior, totaled 29 receptions for 403 yards with five touchdowns… Attended Bay High School in Panama City, Fla.

JERMAINE SAFFOLD Four year letterman at Missouri State University (2008-11)… Set the school single-season season (913 in 2011) and career (2,221) records for receiving yardage… As a senior, recorded 45 receptions with eight touchdowns and ranked 25th nationally in receiving yards per game (83.0)… Nine career 100-yard receiving performances were also a school record… Attended Grandview (Mo.) High School.

J.B. SHUGARTS Four year letterman at Ohio State University (2008-11)… Three year starter at right tackle… Father, Bret, was a defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1987)… Attended Klein (Texas) High School.

ANDREW SWEAT Appeared in 49 career games at Ohio State University (2008-11)… Totaled 201 career tackles, three interceptions, three forced fumbles and one sack… As a senior, finished second on the team with 72 tackles, while adding one interception and one forced fumble… Attended Trinity High School in Washington, Pa.

I didn't expect to see Bademosi as he was rumored going to San Francisco as well as the Browns. I figured Frisco, with their being a contender & having Harbaugh, would have the inside track.

It's always fun to watch these UDFAs battle & see what "sleepers" may be out there.

Mike

Well, hopefully one of these will be a John Randle/Warren Moon/Jim Langer/Larry Little/Emmit Thomas/Willie Wood/Willie Brown/Dick "Night Train" Lane/Jack Butler/or Emlen Tunnell....UFAs who made the HOF.

I predict it will be T. Gipson...after all, Thomas/Wood/Brown/Lane/Butler were all DBs.

That seems to be the one position that more quality players come into the league as UFAs.

In fact, the Browns last year had 3 UFAs in their defensive backfield: Ray Ventrone and Dmitri Patterson have each played 7 years in the league after being UFAs, and James Dockery made the roster last year as a UFA.

Just to clarify, because Canton Mike left some of this info off, here are the positions of these UFAs:

Allen CB

Anderson OT

Cleveland OT

Cooper WR

Davis CB

Fort OLB

Gerhart OG

Gipson FS

Green DE

A. Reed CB

B. Reed WR

Saffold WR

Shugarts OT

Sweat MLB

It does seem that some of the positions of need not fullfilled in the draft were went after heavy with the UFAs: CB, FS, WR, LB, even OT which they did address. Hopefully some of these guys can come in and really fill some of those holes.

In fact....how about a bold prediction: one of these UFAs will become a starter for the Browns before the end of next season!!

Now, you all speculate on who that one will be.

Just to clarify, because Canton Mike left some of this info off, here are the positions of these UFAs:

Allen CB

Anderson OT

Cleveland OT

Cooper WR

Davis CB

Fort OLB

Gerhart OG

Gipson FS

Green DE

A. Reed CB

B. Reed WR

Saffold WR

Shugarts OT

Sweat MLB

It does seem that some of the positions of need not fullfilled in the draft were went after heavy with the UFAs: CB, FS, WR, LB, even OT which they did address. Hopefully some of these guys can come in and really fill some of those holes.

In fact....how about a bold prediction: one of these UFAs will become a starter for the Browns before the end of next season!!

Now, you all speculate on who that one will be.

Gipper,

What is funny is that I left NOTHING off. I copied & pasted the list of UDFA signees directly from the Browns official site. I noticed when I was copying it that there were no position listings. IMHO, somebody there really goofed & I didn't have time to find & list the player's positions. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

BTW, Bademosi is a CB

Mike

Gipper,

What is funny is that I left NOTHING off. I copied & pasted the list of UDFA signees directly from the Browns official site. I noticed when I was copying it that there were no position listings. IMHO, somebody there really goofed & I didn't have time to find & list the player's positions. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

BTW, Bademosi is a CB

Mike

I guess I left "Badass-mosi" off. Thanks.

Today, team walrus announced they're bringing in QB Darren Thomas from Oregon to rookie minicamp. So we've got that going for us.

Tryout basis. Basically to make sure there are enough for WR's being brought in. Keep everything moving. Nice guy to bring in to try out though. Dynamic play maker even though I really think he has zero chance to even making the tryout let alone the team.

Kind of curious to see how this Safford kid performs. The only knock I can really find on him was that he played Div I AA ball.

Also Adonis Thomas rb and Jojo Dickson lb

And as we all know Sweat has moved on to law school.

I think Cooper can make a sig impact this season given the chemistry with Weeden and the ability to catch the football consistently

the grass is in scottsdale. tuscon is just sand. ;)

Sisky Fringo got on me for not knowing current pop culture trivia. Now I am going turn his ire around on you and get on you for not knowing Beatles lyrics/ (Besides, I was just in Tuscon in October, it is not all sand. There is quite a bit of concrete as well..

lol....well, not by heart anyway. im more a pre-heavy drug use beatles fan.....although sgt peppers was a decent album.

dont worry too much on current pop culture....music is not longer in the hands of the bands.....and mainstream america yucks it up like its good music or something.

i cant think of a single modern act with the musical acumen of the kingston trio....guys that actually played instruments rather than layering tracks of synthesized tub-thumping and samples from 30+ years ago.

originality is dead....

lol....well, not by heart anyway. im more a pre-heavy drug use beatles fan.....although sgt peppers was a decent album.

dont worry too much on current pop culture....music is not longer in the hands of the bands.....and mainstream america yucks it up like its good music or something.

i cant think of a single modern act with the musical acumen of the kingston trio....guys that actually played instruments rather than layering tracks of synthesized tub-thumping and samples from 30+ years ago.

originality is dead....

On the whole, I agree. Though I think there certainly may be some exceptions. Who that may be, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived