THE BROWNS BOARD

Jabar Gaffney Released

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7877329/jabar-gaffney-says-released-washington-redskins

Just saw Jabar Gaffney was released by the Redskins. Not saying he is really good, but we have NO veteran presence within the WR corp and I think it would be valuable to bring someone in not only to produce but to also help teach these young WRs. He did lead Washington in receptions and yard last year for what it is worth. Not saying he is the guy, but Id love to see a veteran WR like him get picked up, even if it is just one year. Its not like we need to conserve salary cap room in the short term...

no need to waste a roster spot on a guy just hoping for another paycheck before he retires. why do we need a veteran presence? isn't the guy thats supposed to be teaching/coaching up the WR's...the WR coach?

these short term band-aides "for only a year" do not help the franchise in the long term. it just sets us back by hampering the development of the young guys....2 of which could be considered veterans in their own right. ya certainly dont need a 30+ around to teach....cause players dont teach...they play.

no need to waste a roster spot on a guy just hoping for another paycheck before he retires. why do we need a veteran presence? isn't the guy thats supposed to be teaching/coaching up the WR's...the WR coach?

these short term band-aides "for only a year" do not help the franchise in the long term. it just sets us back by hampering the development of the young guys....2 of which could be considered veterans in their own right. ya certainly dont need a 30+ around to teach....cause players dont teach...they play.

I disagree. Idk if Gaffney is the right guy at all, but I think learning from veterans is very different and valuable in its own way compared to a coach. I think you can pick up a lot about subtleties in route running, reading defenses, relating to your QB from good role model veterans. When Massaquoi and Cribbs (college QB) are your "veterans" on the team, that scares me. A great coach helps a lot, but having that player whos been there before and teaches in between or alongside the coach, throwing in his 2 cents about his experiences is very important. In a lot of cases I think you learn more from peers/veteran teammates than the coaches.

MoMass and Cribbs are the veteran presence....that this team wants.

If we really wanted a veteran presence the Browns would bring in T.O.

He has been a master of the WCO. He certainly was in good shape. And I suspect he has been seriously humbled after a year out of the NFL and in the Arena League.

But then, he may be completely washed up. But he apparently doesn't think so.

Veteran WRs have another name... OLD WRs.

No need for a washed up average (at best) player like Gaffney.

I used to have that opinion, but think our WRs could benefit from someone who has been in the NFL at the position for 10+ years. Clearly Im in the minority. I know with sports that has been really valuable to me, learning from ppl with experience who werent the coaches.. Just a thought, I'll let it go now.

Thing is, after he was cut, he said they cited his pay and their desire to have rgiii grow together with his wr corp...same as us. Gaffney went on to say he would not go from #1 to third string.

This tells me that he's not looking for a mentors role, he's not teaching anyone to take his job while he thinks he's a #1.

Thing is, after he was cut, he said they cited his pay and their desire to have rgiii grow together with his wr corp...same as us. Gaffney went on to say he would not go from #1 to third string.

This tells me that he's not looking for a mentors role, he's not teaching anyone to take his job while he thinks he's a #1.

It seemed like a combination of a lot of things. First off he was the Redskins most productive WR last year and they said they wouldn't pay him anymore than minimum this season. Then they told him they were taking away his #10 jersey and giving it to RGIII. They don't respect the guy and they basically told him to his face they thought he was worthless. I would be pissed too. I don't want him but I can understand why he is mad.

If MoMass was released from another team, someone would post "Mohomed Massaqoi released! Hasn't produced much, but he was second round talent and his team had nobody to throw to him, he's worth a look!"

MoMass is probably the big winner of the offseason because we didn't get anybody to replace him. Guess we are giving him one more shot.

Z

The Browns will still be $9 million dollars under the cap after signing their draftees. Today, a couple of wide receivers hit the market when the Washington Redskins cut Jabar Gaffney, and the Houston Texans parted ways with Jacoby Jones.

John McClain reports that the Texans were unable to find a trade partner for Jones (27), who caught 31 passes for 512 yards and two scores last season.

The Redskins released Jabar Gaffney (31), who had a career bests last year in receptions (68) yards (947) and touchdowns (5).

who knows what this FO will do from here out....

TR pick great. even though with the next pick i woulda loved moving up and getting a top 3 WR.

all will play out next year and i might realize the FO did a great job (if we're winning) or call for heads to roll.

that's why the draft part of this game is so vital and intriguing.

Archived