THE BROWNS BOARD

We Own You

Mr. T

The United States on Wednesday opened its banking market to ICBC, China's biggest bank, for the first time clearing a takeover of a US bank by a Chinese state-controlled company.

Just days after high-level US-China economic talks in Beijing, the Federal Reserve approved an application from Industrial and Commercial Bank of China to buy a majority stake in the US subsidiary of Bank of East Asia.

The transaction will make ICBC the first Chinese state-controlled bank to acquire retail bank branches in the United States.

ICBC has been the most aggressive of China's "big four" banks in expanding overseas.

According to the Fed the bank has total assets of roughly $2.5 trillion.

It will buy up to 80 percent of the US unit of the Hong Kong-based Bank of East Asia, which operates 13 branches in New York and California.

Read more HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m84pjc1YnKQ

This is a slap in the face to the hundreds of thousands of US soldiers who fought bravely in Vietnam and Korean wars against the communist red army.

The Fed reserve has clearly allowed three communist state controlled Chinese banks to enter the US market.

This is a slap in the face to the hundreds of thousands of US soldiers who fought bravely in Vietnam and Korean wars against the communist red army.

The Fed reserve has clearly allowed three communist state controlled Chinese banks to enter the US market.

Agreed, just messed up.

Going to be an intern. Does that mean you're a senior or a junior or post grad?

I am going into my Jr year. I didn't intern last summer cuz I was getting some classes out of the way at tri c. Thanks to that I can either graduate early or, ideally, work this winter semester as well next summer.

I am going into my Jr year. I didn't intern last summer cuz I was getting some classes out of the way at tri c. Thanks to that I can either graduate early or, ideally, work this winter semester as well next summer.

So I might turn to the dark side and be an engineer, myself. What kind of engineer are you?

Mechanical.

You could always go Biomedical Engineering. It has the most females too, maybe like 35% haha

What does a mechanical engineer do for a living?

I dated a ME student when I was at college, he was always writing papers about experiments with steel or some kind of metal.

Good for US Banks to have more competition, esp one that has plenty of liquidity.

Yea! Let's all run down to the bank of China and turn in our dollars for yuan! Does anybody expect Fanny Mae to force the bank of China to give silly home loans to people who can't even prove they have a job? Hell no!

Dollars used to make the world go 'round, I suppose they still do, I haven't checked in the last 10 minutes. Dollars run the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, oil is calculated by the barrel in dollars, paid for in dollars; all of our foreign aid is in dollars, all foreign contractors are paid in dollars, the Federal Reserve prints dollars out of thin air, Al Sharpton owes millions of dollars in back taxes.

But wait - China is buying tons of oil from Iran in yuan. China and Russia have started doing business in yuan. OPEC is planning to come out with their own currency. Nobody knows how many dollars will equal a Petro Dollar yet but we will have to pay it because they'll have us over a barrel.

How's the dollar working out for us?

In 1913 if you purchased an item for $100 today that item would cost $2,317.09. That's a 2217.1% annual inflation rate.

Anybody here born during the Carter administration? A $100 item in 1979 would cost $315.97 today.

How about a college education? Let's say in 1989 a four year degree cost $65,000.00, today that same education would cost $120,245.81

what am I getting at?

Hell, I don't know either.

$120,245 sounds like a bargain, lol, compared to out of state Michigan fees.

I also don't see why international currency is a bad thing. The US isn't gonna reign supreme forever. Things can be calculated in other currencies, who cares?

MEs can literally do any job almost any other engineering major could do. They are the most broad, but that means you might be less specialized for a certain field compared to a chemical engineer or something.

Engineers in general can almost do anything because of the fact they earned an engineering degree. I plan to go work in industry for a few years, maybe manufacturing (cuz that's northeast ohio) and then go back to school for an MBA. I hope to work my way more into the management and business aspect. Engineering + MBA is a deadly combo

$120,245 sounds like a bargain, lol, compared to out of state Michigan fees.

I also don't see why international currency is a bad thing. The US isn't gonna reign supreme forever. Things can be calculated in other currencies, who cares?

MEs can literally do any job almost any other engineering major could do. They are the most broad, but that means you might be less specialized for a certain field compared to a chemical engineer or something.

Engineers in general can almost do anything because of the fact they earned an engineering degree. I plan to go work in industry for a few years, maybe manufacturing (cuz that's northeast ohio) and then go back to school for an MBA. I hope to work my way more into the management and business aspect. Engineering + MBA is a deadly combo

International currency isn't a bad thing as long as it's your currency that's used internationally. I think we have some economists on the board here that can splain it. Maybe I'm just completely nuts, you think?

I believe you're right, the USA isn't going to reign supreme forever. Say hello to your new Chinese overlords, they're here now, Prez let them buy a bank. See, we used to do it to them, now they're doing it to us.

Well, I didn't know what the real cost of a degree in 1989 was, but you can see that it doubled in only those few years to 2012.

So you'll be designing manufacturing machines for awhile and then you'll take over the company. Love it, go for it!

Ball park - how much does a U of M education cost if you're in-state?

WOW that's A LOT of money.

Tuition prices just can't go up forever. I've heard there's a tuition bubble like the housing bubble, and when it blows some universities will have to declare bankruptcy and there will be a lot of professors on the streets.

I mean, what is a stupid Womyns Studies proff gonna do without a college to pay her. She has no skills just like the stupid people who get that degree to begin with.

Yeah, there is a whole thing on the education bubble.

The trick is to get a real degree.

Women's Studies, Literature, Poetry, etc., I won't be crying when a graduate can't find a job.

Do you know any people pursuing a womyns degree?

Are they all creepy progressive-lib-labs who want tax payers to buy their contraceptives? Are they all womyn?

I can't imagine a guy would enroll in anything that stupid.

Do you know any people pursuing a womyns degree?

Are they all creepy progressive-lib-labs who want tax payers to buy their contraceptives? Are they all womyn?

I can't imagine a guy would enroll in anything that stupid.

I'm an engineer, I barely know any females.

I could see a guy showing up thinking he could get bitches, only to realize that these aren't the kind of girls he's looking for lol. Crazy feminists. If you are actually paying all that money to get a Women's Studies degree then you must be crazy

I'm an engineer, I barely know any females.

I could see a guy showing up thinking he could get bitches, only to realize that these aren't the kind of girls he's looking for lol. Crazy feminists. If you are actually paying all that money to get a Women's Studies degree then you must be crazy

That's funny, you're an engineer you don't know any females. You liar!

I went to a university where engineering was THE field of study. No, I didn't get my Mrs. degree there. But the number one pick-up line was 'hey, let me see your slide rule'. All the guys had a slide rule in a thing attached to their belt. Nobody made fun of pocket protectors either, we didn't even know they were supposed to be funny. B)

So if you wanna meet some ladies get a slide rule and wear it with pride. They'll all want to see what it is. Do they sell them at the book store?

That's funny, you're an engineer you don't know any females. You liar!

I went to a university where engineering was THE field of study. No, I didn't get my Mrs. degree there. But the number one pick-up line was 'hey, let me see your slide rule'. All the guys had a slide rule in a thing attached to their belt. Nobody made fun of pocket protectors either, we didn't even know they were supposed to be funny. B)

So if you wanna meet some ladies get a slide rule and wear it with pride. They'll all want to see what it is. Do they sell them at the book store?

I have no idea what that is. But I roll with my TI-84 Silver and my badass safety glasses.

No seriously, Mechanical Engineering is like 10% females, maybe, lol.

I don't know if engineering is THE field of study at Michigan. It might be, but we are good at a whole bunch of things so you never know. Ask any engineer though and they'll say its engineering and all the students in LS and PlAy (joke on the LSA college, literature sciences and the arts) don't know how easy they have it.

Seriously you don't know what a slide rule is? It has a pair of logarithmic scales, used for multiplication, division, trig and roots. It is the calculator before there were calculators. Wiki has a good page about them.

A TI-84 Silver and badass safety glasses sounds super. You can get a lot of significant digits wit that. A slide rule will give you three significant digits, but it's faster than TI-84. Click the image for a close up.

post-16898-0-70968700-1336714028_thumb.jpg

Archived