THE BROWNS BOARD

Your Top 5

Guest Aloysius

You are brilliant my man,,,,,,,,,even though you have been nearly 100% wrong on all things..........I am going to use your brilliance for all future ideas........meanwhile.......BOY DO YOU STINK IN ALL YOU SAY..the worst part is you have never admitted being wrong going on 97 out of a 100............oh my

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

I'm almost positive he will at this point. I have a hard time seeing him in a Browns uni unless we trade back...he will not be picked #5.

Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

Aloy, Who do you see in this draft that is worth a number 5 selection with the money that will have to be paid?

Do you really believe that Aaron Curry or any inside linebacker is worth a #5 pick

I am looking at a player who would make the most impact to the Browns and I know you like Curry but I just don't see how you can pay a inside LB that type of money, now if you were talking about a dominant pass rusher OK, I could do that.

IMO I think the guy with the most upside who might be available at #5 is Michael Crabtree and moving Braylon in a deal before he hits free agency next year or getting additional picks and trading down might be the best way to go becaue is there much difference for the Browns from selecting Curry at #5 and paying the money in that slot or trading down and getting additional picks and drafting another LB at 10-12 and paying less money or even drafting Orapko who is a pass rusher which IMO is a bigger need.

The Packer selected A.J. Hawk at #5 I believe and he has not been close to the player they thought they were getting

I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1 and be a impact player, so I ask you is Curry that much better than Rey Rey or Spikes who both will be available after the 10th pick or would Crabtree be the better player for the dollars if we stay at #5 and also be more of a game changing type player.

Would you consider Braylon, Derek Anderson and Kevin Shaffer to the Bear for there 1st round pick and 2nd round pick

I would never say never..and i know you didnt directly ask me...but if they could pull this off and still land CRABTREE i would consider it...mostly just to unload shaffers HUGE contract and get some value for DA...I think Braylon will rebound...but i worry about how badly he was rattled all season...

Guest Aloysius

Aaron Curry.

Any ILB? Sure. I think Patrick Willis would have been worth a top 5 pick. But I know you disagree.

If there were a Demarcus Ware-type prospect in this draft, I'd be all over it. I'm planning on watching some more of Aaron Maybin to see whether he could be that guy.

But at this point, I don't see one.

I think Curry's floor is that he'll be a Jerod Mayo or Lance Briggs-type player; his ceiling is P. Willis or Derrick Brooks. At worst, you're taking a top 10 guy with a top 5 pick. And if things work out, you have a guy to build your defense around.

To be honest, I haven't seen enough of Crabtree to say with any certainty how high I'd rate him. But I don't think he's a Calvin Johnson-type prospect; FWIW, nfldraftscout compares him to Braylon Edwards.

So I'm not sure he'd be much of an upgrade over BE. By contrast, Curry would be a huge upgrade over Andra Davis. And trading down for Rey Rey, though appealing (to you guys ;)) is extremely unlikely.

In the end, I think Curry is the practical, safe, best option.

I agree with you there on the Curry Analysis AZBrowns, We can refer to what Pioli said recently in an interview that your 1st and 2nd round guys should be able to come in and contribute right away and if Curry has a big learning curve to have to overcome then you just screwed away your pick.

We have had enough projects in here and need someone who can step in and take charge. Someone who is smart and can read offenses not someone who has a brain fart and and cant menatlly catch up to NFL game speed. Maualuga can be that guy who can be a starter from day 1.

You have that the wrong way. Curry is polished and NFL ready. Maualuga still is out of plays way too much and needs to be coached up a bit more.

Also, Wake played in the 34 alot already.

1) Taylor Mays

2) Aaron Curry

3) Knowshon Moreno

4) Andre Smith

5) Michael Crabtree

If Percy Harvin comes out - he goes to #4 and Crabtree slides to #6.

- Tom F.

ESPN Radio indicated Mays was staying in school. Revised list:

1) Aaron Curry LB

2) Kowshon Moreno RB

3) Andre Smith OT

4) Michael Crabtree WR

5) BJ Raji DT

- Tom F.

Great thread guys.....I'm still big on Rey Rey, just looks like a football player to me. I don't think he'd be a "miss." For those who are high on Crabtree, I also agree he's a sure-fire pro, but my thinking is we DESPERATELY need a difference maker on defense, someone who can lay the hammer down, like our hated bretheren in the AFC North (James Harrison, Suggs, for instance).

We can't stop the run. Maybe, just maybe, a Maualuga can be the difference maker. Don't you think our LBs, as a whole unit, are near the bottom of the NFL?

1. Aaron Curry ILB/OLB WF

2. Malcolm Jenkins CB OSU

3. Rey Maualuga ILB USC

4. Aaron Maybin DE PSU

5. Clint Sintim OLB VA

My biggest thing is I'm basically split on my top four. I'd rather rank them as 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d. The problem with this is I'd rather see the Browns trade down and grab one of these guys in the 10-15 range. Hell, presuming Maybin declares I may move him to the top of my board, but there isn't a clear-cut guy that stands out to me.

My hope is with an abundance of OT's needed, some team will want enough to leapfrog and grab one of the top OT's before they get scooped up. Trade down and get back our 3rd rounder (thanks savage). Then use that 3rd rounder on Clay Matthews.....and give him #57.

I have seen Curry numerous times as I have mentioned and I just don't see him as the type of player to take over a game and when you are selecting in the top 5 I believe the player you select should start from day 1

First of all, Hawk was slowed by two injuries this year which dropped his tackle total to 86.

In his rookie year he had an outstanding 120 tackles, followed by 105 his second year.

To say he hasn't been "Close" to the player they thought is completely inaccurate. This was his only disappointing year but as I said, he was injured for much of it.

I have no idea where you are getting your ideas about Curry. You are the only person I know that doesn't think very highly of him. You must have really scouted him closely.

In the 3-4 defense, what position is more important or better a choice at the #5 overall pick?

In the last half dozen years there have been a lot of LB's that are worth that kind of money. Lewis, Urlacher, Thomas, Vrabel, Harrison, Wilson, Tatupu, Merriman, Ware......Just to name a few off the top of my head.

What I had to chuckle over was your mentioning that the Browns should draft Crabtree with the #5 pick. This position is actually the position in which you are taking the biggest chance of drafting a Bust. In the last few years almost 50% of the WR's taken in the first round have been a bust or are at best marginal players.

I know you guys aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, but if I were in your shoes I'd be all over Orakpo. He is the prototype 3-4 OLB like a Demarcus Ware or Merriman. Curry will be a good LB, but he has no where near the pass rush capabilities of an Orakpo. Ray M. is another David Harris. Big dude, strong vs the run, but runs out of a lot of plays and doesn't offer much in coverage vs backs and TE's.

I know you guys aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, but if I were in your shoes I'd be all over Orakpo. He is the prototype 3-4 OLB like a Demarcus Ware or Merriman. Curry will be a good LB, but he has no where near the pass rush capabilities of an Orakpo. Ray M. is another David Harris. Big dude, strong vs the run, but runs out of a lot of plays and doesn't offer much in coverage vs backs and TE's.

I've been reading that Orakpo's stock has dropped after the Fiesta bowl. Early in the game he beat Boone a couple of times but was a non factor in the second half.

Not my opinion. Just what I've read.

Whats been up fellas I havent been on here for a while

My top 5 would look like this:

1. Rey Mag ILB USC

2. Crabtree WR TX TECH

3. M.Johnson DE/OLB GA TECH

4. B.Cushing LB USC

5. Maclin WR Mizzu

3 down we can trade back and get but there is alot of prospects I like in this draft like Oher, the DT from LSU whos name I cant remember right now, Raji, D. Brown RB from Uconn, etc

Whats been up fellas I havent been on here for a while

My top 5 would look like this:

1. Rey Mag ILB USC

2. Crabtree WR TX TECH

3. M.Johnson DE/OLB GA TECH

4. B.Cushing LB USC

5. Maclin WR Mizzu

3 down we can trade back and get but there is alot of prospects I like in this draft like Oher, the DT from LSU whos name I cant remember right now, Raji, D. Brown RB from Uconn, etc

Cushing's injuries and slow 40 time will make him a second round pick. He runs something like a 4.75 40. His injuries will scare people off even more. I think he's available when the Browns pick at #37

I hate drafting WR's high. Look at the history. 50% of the WR's drafted in round#1 end up being a bust or marginal players. When it comes down to it, WR's really are not impact players. They are solid and can help you win. But a defesnive stud can make a huge difference in getting your defense off the field and increase your chances or odds of scoring.

Look at the 4 team left this year. All have great defenses!! The Cardinals are #1 against the rush. The Eagles, Steelers and Ravens all have great D's.

As the resident Bears fan, I can tell you with 95% certainity (approaching shep's left nut range) that the Bears would NEVER do that trade.

First of all, GM Jerry Angelo is a draft guy who has had decent success over his career (except with QBs). He does NOT give out huge FA contracts, nor has he been much of a wheeler-dealer.

So that alone makes it unlikely but this idea wouldn't work from a personnel standpoint either.

The Bears just drafted their future LT in Chris Williams in '08 but veteran LT John St. Clair did a stellar job there last year so it's not crazy to think Williams may get his first crack on the right side in '09. Besides, both of these guys are better than Shaffer so what's the draw for them?

As for DA, HC Lovie Smith said today that the QB wasn't the team's top priority and they are comfortable with Orton, for now. And historically, the Bears aren't exactly known for their QB play so why would they put their faith into an inconsistent, big-armed scattershot?

The BE idea might make some sense for them since they let Berrian go and had not much but Hester's downfield threat going for the O this year. But again, they've been burned by WRs so much in recent years (David Terrell, Muhsin Muhammad, Mark Bradley, Berrian leaving) that I can't see them giving up a pick to get another big-headed, stone-handed WR.

All in all, the Bears can only be counted on as trade partners if they'd be interested in bringing in DA as someone to push Orton and give them a different look but like everyone else, they won't likely give up more than a 4th just for some QB competition.

" hate drafting WR's high. Look at the history. 50% of the WR's drafted in round#1 end up being a bust or marginal players."

It's all a freaKING CRAP SHOOT...qb(TIM COUCH), Rush DE(courtney Brown, DT warren, RB Green , Lineman Faine....I won't mind if they go Crabtree cause BE is a GONER!

Archived