THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell

why cant we win

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Browns fans. Just wanted to add some thoughts from a Redskins fan, living in Maryland.

I can't even fathom the idea that someone would do to Redskins fans, what Art "Greedy Lying Bastard" Modell did to you guys. The most embarrassing thing about saying I live in Maryland, is knowing that my tax dollars went to stealing your football team. Believe me, it wasn't my choice. Baltimore was, and still is, undeserving of having a team, the way they hijacked it. I'm glad Cleveland retained it's rights, and history. And am thrilled you got another team. I have, and will, continue to cheer for the Browns to win, unless it's against my Redskins. I'm a vindictive SOB, and if I were a Browns fan, I'd be dancing a jig today. And, wouldn't care who didn't like it.

To Baltimorons everywhere, it's a friggin Crow!

You are confusing him with Arthur McBride. Only one title was won by the Browns while Modell was Owner, 1964. Seven were won under McBride.

And it was McBride and Paul Brown who brought in the black players when others didn't, like Motley, Willis, etc.

By the time Modell became an owner in 1960 every NFL team but the Redskins were loading up on black players. Look at the Colts and Giants title teams of the 50s. Plenty of black players.

But you are right about the Ozzie thing.

yeah i know about mcbride, but wasn't modell a part of the ernie davis deal? i know jim brown loved the guy (which some will say means dick, but the guy is the best running back of all time) which means something to me.

yeah i hated the guy at the time of the move but i blame it more on the non-movement of the political base in cleveland to assure modell of certain things, than i do the man himself. it is what it is. there's no time machines (yet). i'm sure there wasn't a night go by since he moved the team that he didn't cover his head wishing he had done things differently, shaming himself without having to hear a bunch of angry hateful fans that he left in cleveland still bitching about it.

having grown up a lot since then, i think that hate is such a strong word and should be left to those such as serial killers and terrorists or just plain psychotics. when you start growing long in the tooth and are questioning your own mortality you realize that 'hating' anything is just a waste of time. there's a lot more to do in life than walk around with a chip on your shoulder.

let the guy die in peace.

yeah i know about mcbride, but wasn't modell a part of the ernie davis deal? i know jim brown loved the guy (which some will say means dick, but the guy is the best running back of all time) which means something to me.

Bringing in Ernie Davis doesn't mean Modell broke any racial barriers. Jim Browns was on the team when Modell bought it. And so were many other African-Americans.

yeah i hated the guy at the time of the move but i blame it more on the non-movement of the political base in cleveland to assure modell of certain things, than i do the man himself.

Oh, no. It WAS the man himself, most assuredly. Being ousted as an NFL after moving to Baltimore is definitive proof of that. He couldn't make it here, he couldn't make it there, he couldn't make it anywhere.

it is what it is. there's no time machines (yet). i'm sure there wasn't a night go by since he moved the team that he didn't cover his head wishing he had done things differently, shaming himself without having to hear a bunch of angry hateful fans that he left in cleveland still bitching about it.

having grown up a lot since then, i think that hate is such a strong word and should be left to those such as serial killers and terrorists or just plain psychotics. when you start growing long in the tooth and are questioning your own mortality you realize that 'hating' anything is just a waste of time. there's a lot more to do in life than walk around with a chip on your shoulder.

I have no problem with that. I just want the record to be straight.

I think that too many Browns fans have a fetish about Art Modell.

The Browns team was the only real job Modell had. Nobody can lay blame for his money problems but him. Surely, he could have sold teh team once he realized he was craching and burning, but really, who among you, if you were so blessed to own the Browns would have done anything different than to cling to it as long as you could?

Browns fans hate to hear this but the city leaders also had a lot to do with this mess.

The piece that REALLY pisses me off, and that for some reason nobody every reported on was this Al Lerner business. Here are the givens we know about Lerner.

He was filthy rich

He was a friend of Modell

He loved Clevenad and the Browns

So where was this captain of industry in providing wisdom and leadership to keep the Browns? He sure found a quick $100 million to loan so that Modell COULD move teh team to Baltimore.

Sorry, but this kind of shit doesn't just happen. LIke Lerner thought to himself, " gee, let me, out of the goodness of my heart, lend Modell 100 mil almost interest free so he can move the team to Baltimore.

As if Modell moving to Baltimore was one of the important goals of Lerners financial portfolio?

Bullshit. Lerner wouldn't have helped Modell move the team if he knew damned well there wasn't going to be a big financial reward for him.

If you guys think that Modell's decision to move to Baltimore caught the NFL by surprise, then you are nuts.

The fan protest changed nothing other than forcing the NFL to announce that Cleveland would get a new team a little earlier than it wanted to announce it.

MMM, it really was the legal barrell that the city had Modell under that clinched the restoration....but I don't know about the timing issue. Perhaps you are right....though I think the three year hiatus was part of the settlement agreement.

By the time Lerner was on the plane with Art, there was already a plan in place to restore the Browns, IF AL could be successful in moving Art out.

As if 30 NFL owners are just going to assemble on a moments notice and decide on a whim to expand to Cleveland just because the fans in one NFL city were pissed.

PULEEEEZ spare me the simple mindedness.

Well, we all like a good conspiracy theory. You have come up with one. The truth may be out there somewhere.

I shared many years of glory and heartbreak with Art Modell's Cleveland Browns. I feel sad that he has passed away. He was a generous and kind man.

He is the only owner to win 2 NFL championships, one with each of two different teams. His accomplishments in the league are many. It is a shame the NFL didn't have the testicular fortitude to let the man into the HOF while he was alive. Now? It means nothing.

I disagree that he has HOF credentials...even if he didn't move.

But I won't piss on his grave.....at least not until I know where he will be buried. And probably not even then.(Rest assured, he will be cremated or put into a secure mausoleum just so that doesn't happen)

Lerner stated modell did not want to sell, he wanted to keep the team for his family. Ultimately he had to sell anyway, but that's another story I guess.

In that regard the two old men were alike.....they both had more passion for owning/running their football team than their kids did.

I think David Modell liked all the accoutrements of being an NFL owner, like hanging around with the players and having a party in the owners box and glad handing, but wanted no part really in the responsibilities of ownership.

Randy may have been the opposite. He seemed to like the internecine maneuverings of being an owner, but had no real passion for the game.

I wonder if David gets to keep his owners box? I suspect so. I would think he would want to.

I also wonder if, in a months time Randy will even care enough to maintain an owner's box. Even if he does it would probably be frequently empty.

Sad someone dies but overall I don't care. The only thing I care about is whether or not his upcoming death launches him in the HOF. He still doesn't deserve regardless of whether he is living or not.

I understand what you're saying. I had no remorse or sadness and also thought to myself well I guess he gets in the HOF now. At least he didn't live to see it, when he moved the team the only thing that kept me warm during our 3 years away was everytime B'more lost was a good day to me. It don't matter so much now with him out of the way. Now I can get closure...

In that regard the two old men were alike.....they both had more passion for owning/running their football team than their kids did.

I think David Modell liked all the accoutrements of being an NFL owner, like hanging around with the players and having a party in the owners box and glad handing, but wanted no part really in the responsibilities of ownership.

Randy may have been the opposite. He seemed to like the internecine maneuverings of being an owner, but had no real passion for the game.

I wonder if David gets to keep his owners box? I suspect so. I would think he would want to.

I also wonder if, in a months time Randy will even care enough to maintain an owner's box. Even if he does it would probably be frequently empty.

Well randy is a soccer fan. Nuff said. However I do think he tried to spend the money on numerous people who should have been able to run a football team. I don't have too much hate for Randy.

Bringing in Ernie Davis doesn't mean Modell broke any racial barriers. Jim Browns was on the team when Modell bought it. And so were many other African-Americans.

yeah i hated the guy at the time of the move but i blame it more on the non-movement of the political base in cleveland to assure modell of certain things, than i do the man himself.

Oh, no. It WAS the man himself, most assuredly. Being ousted as an NFL after moving to Baltimore is definitive proof of that. He couldn't make it here, he couldn't make it there, he couldn't make it anywhere.

it is what it is. there's no time machines (yet). i'm sure there wasn't a night go by since he moved the team that he didn't cover his head wishing he had done things differently, shaming himself without having to hear a bunch of angry hateful fans that he left in cleveland still bitching about it.

I have no problem with that. I just want the record to be straight. - The Gipper

so, he was among the owners that drafted african americans and jim brown was on the team when he bought it. thanks for the history lesson and tongue lashing at the same time. i guess i would have known this if i was alive when all this took place like obviously you were. or maybe i should have wikipediaed it. whatever. i didn't make the post to start arguing about historical events. i made the post to let all you uptight disgruntled fans (who continue to bash a dude in his head even after the dude is down and out) know how foolish you look.

we all complain about no media coverage for cleveland. espn has bill livingston on a segment of sportscenter today to comment on the passing of modell, and what does he do? no, he doesn't take the high road with some dignified answer he cries and whines about how all of cleveland and the browns fans will ever remember is his betrayal and ya de ya de da........... in other words gave creedence to all of you who live to make yourself feel better by beating up on some old frail dead guy. good for you. we get it. it's done. modell took the team to baltimore. the world trade centers collapsed under terrorist attack. a black man was elected president. lebron left for miami. no more space shuttle. it's over. done. get on with your life.

no wonder everyone laughs at you (all).

Well, right after the move I was caught up in the "rot in Hell Modell" and "the line to piss on his grave starts on the left" frame of mind, but time has softened my stance. I wish no one evil- not even Art.

I think Mike Ditka had it right- as well as several others. It's still a lie- "I had no choice". You certainly did Art- you could have sold out to Al Lerner then and there. Nope, you thought the Baltimore bribe was going to bail you out so you could pass the team on to our cigar chompin' kid. Turns out you wound up with neither your honor, or your team. Nothing short of Divine Justice in my book. If you hadn't won a SB it would have been icing on the cake, but you can't have everything I guess.

Gips is right- they had better cremate him. Even if they put him in a mausoleum, it will be found out and get a yellow shower on a regular basis.

Well randy is a soccer fan. Nuff said. However I do think he tried to spend the money on numerous people who should have been able to run a football team. I don't have too much hate for Randy.

Yes. Randy was a passionless person and there was/is no reason to work up any passion for him, positively or negatively.

so, he was among the owners that drafted african americans and jim brown was on the team when he bought it. thanks for the history lesson and tongue lashing at the same time. i guess i would have known this if i was alive when all this took place like obviously you were. or maybe i should have wikipediaed it. whatever. i didn't make the post to start arguing about historical events. i made the post to let all you uptight disgruntled fans (who continue to bash a dude in his head even after the dude is down and out) know how foolish you look.

we all complain about no media coverage for cleveland. espn has bill livingston on a segment of sportscenter today to comment on the passing of modell, and what does he do? no, he doesn't take the high road with some dignified answer he cries and whines about how all of cleveland and the browns fans will ever remember is his betrayal and ya de ya de da........... in other words gave creedence to all of you who live to make yourself feel better by beating up on some old frail dead guy. good for you. we get it. it's done. modell took the team to baltimore. the world trade centers collapsed under terrorist attack. a black man was elected president. lebron left for miami. no more space shuttle. it's over. done. get on with your life.

It's just some of us here are old enough to have some perspective of what went down in 1995, (or 1960 for that matter) didya know Modell waited until there was a newspaper strike when he canned Paul Brown- mainly to avoid the media backlash? and have a clear memory of what SHOULD have happened in 1995. Modell knew the ship was sinking, and he had a $100 million life preserver thrown him by the state of Maryland. Blame the NFL too, for screwing up expansion. Jacksonville, or Baltimore- tough one there. :/

Modell certainly could have sold instead of ahem- stabbing the most loyal fan base in the NFL in the back after years of incredible support. He took the selfish way instead. RIP Art- I'll let the guy upstairs be the final judge if what you did was right or not.

I have no problem with that. I just want the record to be straight. - The Gipper

It is not foolish to get your facts correct. And you notice you haven't seen any vitriol in my posts on here on Art's demise.

I come not to praise Caesar, but to bury him.

Perspectives on a man's life are always given at the time of his death. I simply expect it to be a true perspective, not a false one.

we all complain about no media coverage for cleveland. espn has bill livingston on a segment of sportscenter today to comment on the passing of modell, and what does he do? no, he doesn't take the high road with some dignified answer he cries and whines about how all of cleveland and the browns fans will ever remember is his betrayal and ya de ya de da........... in other words gave creedence to all of you who live to make yourself feel better by beating up on some old frail dead guy. good for you. we get it. it's done.

So, you are saying Livingston should have lied? As far as I am concerned telling the truth...about the man and about this communities feelings about the man is completely dignified.

It would be an outrageous travesty....and indignity to not relate the true proper perspective about the guy. If you want platitudes about him...go elsewhere.

If you want the reality, stay here.

modell took the team to baltimore. the world trade centers collapsed under terrorist attack. a black man was elected president. lebron left for miami. no more space shuttle. it's over. done. get on with your life.

So? You think that electing a black man President is as notorious as those other events?

Maybe THAT comment of yours is a true revelation about you.

You IS us.

And if you want lies then, how about this: The check is in the mail. I promise not to cum in your mouth. Art Modell was a wonderful human being.

Now swallow it.

You guys are a sad bunch.

There are bigger things than football. Now I understand why there is a lack of knowledge on this board.

and by the way, I thought the Browns were never moved? Baltimore was an expansion team , and the Browns just misteriously disappeared for a few years, then re-appeared?

That is exactly correct. Who told you otherwise? There was little sadness at Modell leaving, but he did leave Cleveland without its football team for 3 years. And we were stuck with the feculence that he left in his wake. After all, even though you may scare a burglar away or thwart an attempted rape, the emotional scars from the intrusion and violation of your home or body can long remain. The poor management by the Lerner ownership has made that violation even more difficult to overcome.

It's just some of us here are old enough to have some perspective of what went down in 1995, (or 1960 for that matter) didya know Modell waited until there was a newspaper strike when he canned Paul Brown- mainly to avoid the media backlash? and have a clear memory of what SHOULD have happened in 1995. Modell knew the ship was sinking, and he had a $100 million life preserver thrown him by the state of Maryland. Blame the NFL too, for screwing up expansion. Jacksonville, or Baltimore- tough one there. :/

Modell certainly could have sold instead of ahem- stabbing the most loyal fan base in the NFL in the back after years of incredible support. He took the selfish way instead. RIP Art- I'll let the guy upstairs be the final judge if what you did was right or not.

Just ask anyone from Baltimore if they sent flowers to Robert Irsay's funeral.

The fact is the Colts should never have been moved from Baltimore.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-04/news/1998277064_1_modell-moved-to-baltimore-lerner

Interesting article saying Modell and Lerner conspired to move the Browns to Baltimore as early as 1985.

Then have Lerner take over a new franchise in Cleveland, as they would eventually do.

I almost feel ashamed that I don't have this burning passionate hatred for Art Modell.

The Browns left a long time ago and we've got them back now, I'm over it.

I think Modell is a historic NFL figure and should be in the HOF.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-04/news/1998277064_1_modell-moved-to-baltimore-lerner

Interesting article saying Modell and Lerner conspired to move the Browns to Baltimore as early as 1985.

Then have Lerner take over a new franchise in Cleveland, as they would eventually do.

I almost feel ashamed that I don't have this burning passionate hatred for Art Modell.

The Browns left a long time ago and we've got them back now, I'm over it.

I think Modell is a historic NFL figure and should be in the HOF.

Perhaps to you and others of us who know him. To the geneeral populace he is no more historically important than a hundred other former owners/administrators.

Generally people, and including HOF voters are likely to say that many of the following are more likely to go in than Modell:

Robert Kraft

Jeff Lurie

Dan Snyder

Mike Brown

William Clay Ford

Bud Adams

Joe Robbie

Hugh Culverhouse

Tom Benson

Michael McCaskey

Carl Pohlad

Bob McNair

Jerry Jones

Pat Bowlen

Bill Bidwill

Georgia Frontiere

Robert Irsay

Jim Irsay

Eddie DeBartolo

Paul Allen

Bill Polian

Clint Murchison

Gil Brandt

Carl Peterson

Stan Kroenke

Bobby Beathard

Paul Tagliabue

etc. etc. etc.

Look who crawled out of his spider hole! I guess it took the death of Art Modell to get Furnier back in action.

Was that your self imposed exile? You wouldn't show up until the Wicked Old Witch was dead?

Hiya Gip....yeah something like that. Just been a busy year for me. Alot of wholesale changes. Trying mightily to get psyched for football this year. With Uncle Scum gone to his 'Great Reward' it does feel like a terrible stain has been removed from our troubled existence. So onward and upward! 16-0 here we come!

Perhaps to you and others of us who know him. To the geneeral populace he is no more historically important than a hundred other former owners/administrators.

Generally people, and including HOF voters are likely to say that many of the following are more likely to go in than Modell:

Robert Kraft

Jeff Lurie

Dan Snyder

Mike Brown

William Clay Ford

Bud Adams

Joe Robbie

Hugh Culverhouse

Tom Benson

Michael McCaskey

Carl Pohlad

Bob McNair

Jerry Jones

Pat Bowlen

Bill Bidwill

Georgia Frontiere

Robert Irsay

Jim Irsay

Eddie DeBartolo

Paul Allen

Bill Polian

Clint Murchison

Gil Brandt

Carl Peterson

Stan Kroenke

Bobby Beathard

Paul Tagliabue

etc. etc. etc.

i see nobody on that list more deserving than Modell. Considering his contributions to the league such as the TV contrtact which essentially invented Monday Night Football and his role with the AFL- NFL merger, he is certainly in the same class as Mr. Hunt, Rooney, Wilson and Davis.

BTW, the organization is in one heckuva pickle this Sunday. Do they ignore Art's passing, or attempt a moment of silence and allow many of our immature fans to embarass themselves and the city on national TV?

i see nobody on that list more deserving than Modell. Considering his contributions to the league such as the TV contrtact which essentially invented Monday Night Football and his role with the AFL- NFL merger, he is certainly in the same class as Mr. Hunt, Rooney, Wilson and Davis.

BTW, the organization is in one heckuva pickle this Sunday. Do they ignore Art's passing, or attempt a moment of silence and allow many of our immature fans to embarass themselves and the city on national TV?

Do the moment of silence early...at like noon when the majority of our cantankerous fans are still closing up shop in the lots.

Hiya Gip....yeah something like that. Just been a busy year for me. Alot of wholesale changes. Trying mightily to get psyched for football this year. With Uncle Scum gone to his 'Great Reward' it does feel like a terrible stain has been removed from our troubled existence. So onward and upward! 16-0 here we come!

Are you living back in Sandusky? I thought you had moved to Arizona.

Are you living back in Sandusky? I thought you had moved to Arizona.

Moved back to Sandtown in March. 4 years of Arizona was about all I could handle. It's good to be back.

No, I don't see it. In the movie made about the origination of MNF I don't think Modell was even depicted. If he was it was only marginally.

Hunt and Wilson founded a League, Rooney founded a franchise at least. Davis was a good coach and GM..and even AFL commish.

Art did none of that.

I agree that the "moment of silence" should not be held because there would not be silence. Simply an acknowledgement on the PA system or scoreboard should suffice.

Archived