THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell

why cant we win

No, I don't see it. In the movie made about the origination of MNF I don't think Modell was even depicted. If he was it was only marginally.

Hunt and Wilson founded a League, Rooney founded a franchise at least. Davis was a good coach and GM..and even AFL commish.

Art did none of that.

I agree that the "moment of silence" should not be held because there would not be silence. Simply an acknowledgement on the PA system or scoreboard should suffice.

I agree Gips- there should be no "moment of silence" it would just give Cleveland fans a chance to pay their last disrespects.

Even putting his picture up on the jumbotron "Art Modell 1925-2012" would elicit the same response you get when the Cavs put a picture of the Steelers up on their jumbotron when the opposing team is shooting foul shots @ the Q, I'd wager.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shared many years of glory and heartbreak with Art Modell's Cleveland Browns. I feel sad that he has passed away. He was a generous and kind man.

That's good for you. I, on the other hand, was born in the late 80's, and by the time I started caring about the Browns, the team was taken away. I didn't really follow the NFL until our return. And damn was I excited.

I got to see us draft Tim Couch and Courtney Brown.

I got to watch an NFL referee end the career of one of our linemen.

I got to watch us get fucked out of the playoffs by the referees against Jacksonville. (I'm glad bottlegate happened)

I have only a single memory of the Browns in the playoffs, and it's a shitty one.

I got the pleasure of watching what used to be our team bring a Super Bowl title to Baltimore.

I saw the Charlie Frye experiment. Brady Quinn. Fuck. Where's the picture of that asshole with all their names on their jersey?

I guess I've seen a record turnover of head coaches and starting quarterbacks, so maybe that's something.

I saw the shittiest ownership in the league with the Lerners. Seriously. Worse than Al Davis.

I saw drafting and free agency that put us on par with Matt Millen.

He is the only owner to win 2 NFL championships, one with each of two different teams. His accomplishments in the league are many. It is a shame the NFL didn't have the testicular fortitude to let the man into the HOF while he was alive. Now? It means nothing.

Good. Fuck that guy and fuck the Lerners too. I'm glad Art will never get to pat himself on the back. This guy turned what I love into the steaming pile of shit we've been watching for the past 12 years.

For Fuck's sake, the greatest memories I have of the team were when Derek Anderson was the quarterback.

Christ.

So? You think that electing a black man President is as notorious as those other events?

Maybe THAT comment of yours is a true revelation about you. -The Gipper.

not to me. but a historical event anyways. no. i'm not a right wing money grubbing weasel. so a black president to me was a good thing.

i bet ya YOU never thought YOU"D see it in YOUR lifetime.

That's good for you. I, on the other hand, was born in the late 80's, and by the time I started caring about the Browns, the team was taken away. I didn't really follow the NFL until our return. And damn was I excited.

I got to see us draft Tim Couch and Courtney Brown.

I got to watch an NFL referee end the career of one of our linemen.

I got to watch us get fucked out of the playoffs by the referees against Jacksonville. (I'm glad bottlegate happened)

I have only a single memory of the Browns in the playoffs, and it's a shitty one.

I got the pleasure of watching what used to be our team bring a Super Bowl title to Baltimore.

I saw the Charlie Frye experiment. Brady Quinn. Fuck. Where's the picture of that asshole with all their names on their jersey?

I guess I've seen a record turnover of head coaches and starting quarterbacks, so maybe that's something.

I saw the shittiest ownership in the league with the Lerners. Seriously. Worse than Al Davis.

I saw drafting and free agency that put us on par with Matt Millen.

Good. Fuck that guy and fuck the Lerners too. I'm glad Art will never get to pat himself on the back. This guy turned what I love into the steaming pile of shit we've been watching for the past 12 years.

For Fuck's sake, the greatest memories I have of the team were when Derek Anderson was the quarterback.

Christ.

Believe me, that's where I feel for the younger fans- you guys never had the chance to see the Browns when they were ALWAYS good, the equivalent of the NY Yankees.

How much more crap football are you willing to put up with? Brady, Montana, Breese? Try playing in the equivalent of 10 Super Bowls (winning 4) running like Otto Graham did. Fast forward that to 2012, and ESPN would declare he could walk on water, and raise the dead.

Modell's 2 bad acts outweigh any good he ever did.

Firing Paul Brown and moving the team sealed his fate

To that I would add prematurely ending Jim Brown's amazing career by giving him shiite about filming a movie.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/09/when_art_modell_bought_the_cle.html

Here is an interesting article from the Plain Dealer waaay "back in the day".

I really like Paul Brown. It's sad to know that a Great Man like him was "done dirty" by a Bad Man like Modell.

The Bengals and the Ravens, coincidentally whom are both in OUR OWN division were by-products of Modell.

I was happy that he died because now the taint has lifted as well as any "curse"... and I really didn't believe in curses until the Madden Curse killed Hillis.

The one thing that Modell did do that I'm grateful for "in a strange way", is allowing for a NEW FRANCHISE to be reborn from the ashes of a Great Team. That is the moment I lit up for the Browns. It's been Hell. But, I LOVE this team as I would a beloved dog. For people that say think that the Old Browns just "left for three years and MAGICALLY came back"... They never came back... they won a championship and Cleveland's Heart Broke... it's that Championship that is a knock on us as a Franchise, never winning a SuperBowl... or even getting there. Steeler Fans gush over citing over and over that we haven't won since "black and white days".

That is why I'm EXCITED to be a Browns Fan right now, It's time to go get that GLEAM back guys. There's a gleam, there's a light at the end of the tunnel(no pun intended)... let's go get that Gleam.

Now that its over... Rest in Peace Art Modell. Let no harm become unto your Soul. But I do want to challenge you to a game of Madden when I get to Heaven... I've got the Browns.

...Here's that Article...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Art Modell bought the Cleveland Browns: How The Plain Dealer reported it

Sport front of Plain Dealer announcing Art Modell's involvement in purchase of the Cleveland Browns.

By John Kroll, The Plain Dealer

on September 06, 2012 at 4:37 PM, updated September 06, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Art Modell's name first appeared in The Plain Dealer connected with the Cleveland Browns in a story on the Sports section cover on Jan. 6, 1961, written by Chuck Heaton:

DAVE JONES STAYS AS BROWNS' CHIEF

New Owner in Miami; Brown, Gries Retained

MIAMI BEACH, Fla.—Dave Jones will continue as president of the Cleveland Browns when sale of the football team is completed about the middle of the month, it was learned last night.

A group of investors, headed by a 32-year-old New York television and advertising executive, Arthur Modell, is the virtually certain purchaser. These bidders are reportedly ready to go as high as a record $4,000,000 for the team which changed hands for $600,000 in 1953.

Modell arrived in Miami Beach last night from New York and said that any announcement of the sale would have to come from Browns' officials.

Ruled out almost completely was a bid from some young Cleveland businessmen headed by Bill Evans of the Diamond Alkali Company.

Bob Gries, a vice-president and owner of the Morgan Steel Co., will continue as an offi­cer under the new owners. Paul Brown, coach and general man­ager, also will retain his posi­tion on the board as vice-president.

Evans Reluctant to Sell

The Nationwide Insurance Co. holds 30%, or the largest block of stock. Herb Evans, a vice-president of the Browns, represents that company and has been somewhat reluctant to sell.

He has informed Brown, however, that he will go along with the wishes of the others.

Gries, who has had a finan­cial interest in the team since its formation in 1946, owns 20%. Jones and Ellis Ryan, former president of the Cleveland Indians, have 12% each, as does Brown, who draws a salary and also an estimated 15% of the net profits. Homer Marshman owns about 14%.

Silberman Sold In '55

Saul Silberman, Tropical Park race' track owner and former president of Cleveland's Randall Park, who bought 50% of the team when Arthur (Mickey) McBride moved out of pro foot­ball in 1953, sold his stock to the present owners for $575,000 in 1955. That would place a valuation of $1,150,000 on the team five years ago.

Jones, who is vacationing here and planning to attend to­morrow's Browns-Lions game, said he preferred not to divulge any names of the new purchas­ers, but Modell was believed to be the top man.

... "If something should happen and the deal didn't go through, it might prove embarrassing," the Browns' president ex­plained. "The group will include both Cleveland and New York" people.

Did Not Seek Buyers

"I have taken the stand all along that we're not trying to sell the team. We've always been willing to listen to a good offer, however."

"Nothing is definite until the papers are signed."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the next day's paper, some more information about Modell came out:

BROWNS 5-POINT CHOICE OVER LIONS

40,000 TO SEE RIVALS MIX TODAY

MIAMI BEACH, Fla.— Arthur Modell, who plans to move to Cleveland shortly after he takes con­trolling interest in the Browns, will be in the Orange Bowl stands this afternoon as Paul Brown sends his team against the Detroit Lions.

... Modell, 32-year-old bachelor who is ready to take over, indicated last night that he will be active in the operations and will be moving to Cleveland for that purpose. He didn't outline his program, but it is believed he will be active in handling pro­motion and perhaps some of the business affairs of the club. He discussed plans during a dinner with Dave Jones, president of the Browns, and NFL Commis­sioner Pete Rozelie.

[Paul] Brown last night was not yet prepared to say that the sale, was definite, although formali­ties probably will be concluded early next week.

"Certain things must be spelled out," said the coach and general manager who has eight years to go on his contract which also gives him the club's vote at the league meetings. He indicated agreement had been reached verbally and that attorneys now were drawing up the new contract. ...

Modell, a long time pro football fan who watched the Browns swamp the Chicago Bears a few weeks back, and his group will get 80% of the stock. With a figure close to $4,000,000 as the asking price, they must put up about $3,200,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The negotiations dragged on (only for months, although somehow the newspaper added another four years to its report of Modell's age). On March 20, 1961, The Plain Dealer reported:

N.Y. Man Joins Modell as Sale of Browns Nears

Rudolph J. (Rudy) Schaefer, New York brewery executive, will join Arthur Modell, Manhattan advertising man, as a principal stockholder of the Cleveland Browns when sale of the professional football club is completed, it was learned last night.

... [Paul] Brown continue as coach of pro football's most successful team, but Modell, who found quick success in television and advertising, plans to run the front office.

The 36-year-old Modell entered the television field soon after the end of World War II. He had served with the United States Air Force as a physical education instructor.

Gives Browns Full Time

The new owner already has an apartment in Cleveland and plans to devote full time to the operation of the Browns.

Within days, the deal was complete and the league had signed off (and Modell, according to the paper, was another year older). But it was still only a sports-page story for The Plain Dealer:

Brown Given Free Player Rein, 8-Year Pact as Modell Takes Over Browns' Front Office

Paul Brown and Arthur B. Modell will be "working partners" in the Cleveland Browns.

That is the opinion of the 37-year-old New York ad­vertising and television executive who yesterday became chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the National Football League team.

Modell earned the lofty post by digging up something like $4,000,000 for the sale of the club, which became official yes­terday. There are other stock­holders and board members but the chairman will run the front office.

Brown remains as coach, gen­eral manager and vice presi­dent with a new eight-year con­tract. He will concern himself, however, with the players and the field operation for the most part.

Sees No Conflict

It's a role with which he seems well satisfied. Like Modell, he anticipates no conflict.

A question pointed up the new' owner's feeling about the situation.

"Are the plays still going to be run in from the bench?" queried a reporter.

"As far as I'm concerned Paul Brown can send them in by carrier pigeon," grinned Modell. "In my opinion he has no peer as a football coach. His record speaks for itself. I view our relationship as a working partnership.

"Paul will attend the league meetings with me. He will de­cide any questions about player personnel and field operation. I am assuming the responsi­bility for such things as finances, admissions to the league, promotion and that type of thing.

"I feel we can do many things in the way of promotion. I'm not ready to reveal them today, but I have ideas.

"We'll be consulting fre­quently. I don't like to outline any delineation of duties. As I said before, we'll be partners in the Browns operation."

Brown, who retains a small amount of stock and has an option to buy more, declared himself 100 per cent satisfied.

"In consultation with my lawyers I drew up my contract just as I wanted it," explained the coach. "Arthur Modell read it and said 'that suits me.' He never quibbled on any phase of it.

"I still will do the hiring and firing as before and control the factors important to the suc­cess or failure of the team. Fi­nancial and promotional as­pects will be his problems.

"That's a healthy situation In my opinion. A fellow spend­ing this kind of money has a right to control the finances. The loans are his responsibil­ity.

Schaefer on Board

"This is the fourth set of owners I've worked with and I'm very pleased with both Mr. Modell and Mr. Schaefer."

R. J. (Rudy) Schaefer, re­ported to be the largest single stockholder in the group, will serve as vice president and member of the board. He is head of the F. and M. Schaefer Brewing Co. of New York City and a long time sports enthu­siast.

"I've always thought that the Browns were the finest organi­zation in football," declared the brewery chief, "And Ar­thur Modell quickly sold him­self to me as a young fellow with drive and ideas. I'll be coming out to Cleveland fre­quently."

... National League approval for the change of ownership didn't come until late Tuesday. For a time it appeared that announce­ment of the sale, made at noon yesterday at the Sheraton Cleveland Hotel, would be post­poned.

Other owners wanted to be sure that the switch had the complete approval of Brown so a majority of them talked to him by phone Tuesday. Cleve­land is a good pay day for vis­iting teams and the other clubs want it to stay that way.

Started Last Fall

Modell began working on the deal last November after be­ing informed by Fred (Curley) Morrison, former Browns play­er, that the club could be bought for the right price. He said that the $4,000,000 price tag was "substantially cor­rect."

This is the first of a series of posts telling the story of Art Modell's time with the Browns through the reporting of The Plain Dealer. Next story: Modell fires Paul Brown.

Success and challenges in the NFL (1950–56)

The AAFC proposed match-ups with NFL teams numerous times during its four-year existence, but no inter-league game ever materialized. That made the Browns' entry into the NFL in the 1950 season the first test of whether their early supremacy could carry over into a more established league. Some people suggested Cleveland was at best the dominant team in a minor league, while others were confident of its prospects in the NFL. The proof of Cleveland's mettle came quickly: its NFL regular-season opener was against the two-time defending champion Eagles on September 16 in Philadelphia. The Browns quashed any doubts about their prowess in that game, with Graham and his receivers amassing 246 passing yards en route to a 35–10 win before a crowd of 71,237.

------------------------------------------------------------

We've come full circle. Fulfill our Destiny with a 35- 10 thrashing of the Eagles this Sunday!!!!

..... there's a story there for you to write on the BR, Mike H. I'm doing it all for you... ;)

Success and challenges in the NFL (1950–56)

The AAFC proposed match-ups with NFL teams numerous times during its four-year existence, but no inter-league game ever materialized. That made the Browns' entry into the NFL in the 1950 season the first test of whether their early supremacy could carry over into a more established league. Some people suggested Cleveland was at best the dominant team in a minor league, while others were confident of its prospects in the NFL. The proof of Cleveland's mettle came quickly: its NFL regular-season opener was against the two-time defending champion Eagles on September 16 in Philadelphia. The Browns quashed any doubts about their prowess in that game, with Graham and his receivers amassing 246 passing yards en route to a 35–10 win before a crowd of 71,237.

------------------------------------------------------------

We've come full circle. Fulfill our Destiny with a 35- 10 thrashing of the Eagles this Sunday!!!!

and they played again 11 weeks later and the Browns won again WITHOUT throwing a pass. Paul Brown didn't like the fact that Phily's coach said this "Brown would have made a better basketball coach because all they do is put the ball in the air"

Joined the board just to express my disgust at how Art Modell ultimately crushed the hearts of Clevelanders.

Even though I moved from Cleveland in 87, I was a loyal Browns fan from birth (1963) until the day that they became the Ravens.

The NFL has not been the same for me since then.

As I Christian, I have resolved to stop hating Modell, and I have recanted my long stated promise to urinate on his headstone.

But I hope that the reports that Modell died broke are true and I hope that he NEVER makes the Hall of Fame.

Is horrendously funny when I think that Modell only paid 28k to purchase the Browns with some kind of civil bonds...the man was always a crook...good riddence

Believe me, that's where I feel for the younger fans- you guys never had the chance to see the Browns when they were ALWAYS good, the equivalent of the NY Yankees.

How much more crap football are you willing to put up with? Brady, Montana, Breese? Try playing in the equivalent of 10 Super Bowls (winning 4) running like Otto Graham did. Fast forward that to 2012, and ESPN would declare he could walk on water, and raise the dead.

Brown and Orange til the day I croak.

As a Christian

But I hope that the reports that Modell died broke are true and I hope that he NEVER makes the Hall of Fame.

what a joke.

you just proved my point that religion means nothing. just a tool for repression and war.

Christ.

That's an awesome quote ... but oh my God we have been sooo fucking pathetic, its beyond sad. The greatest thing in the new era was bottlegate, I'm trying to think of anything else to add ... ummm ... the tailgate parties and many friends met were awesome ... umm ... I saw some old men fight in the stands once ...

Thank God for High School football.

Bullshit, you don't know dick. He moved the team because he lost money from the Indians moving from the stadium. Cleveland voters overwhelmingly approved the aforementioned tax issue to remodel Cleveland Stadium. It was purely about money asshole.

Kosar, I was wondering- didnt Modell want a new stadium like the Indians got along with further concession and parking revenues? The city wanted to call his bluff and offered the remodel instead?

I guess I was like you when I heard the news of his passing, but kind of want to learn more about the man himself and the thought processes he went through.

condolences to the Modell family - peace

Hope for a respectful moment of rememberance if its done Sunday...

I believe that if this team wasn't so horribly awful since being reborn in 1999, more people would let go of the hatred for Modell. Watching the Ravens being competive year after year and even winning a super bowl really pisses most of us off. If we had a great franchise here instead of a bunch of jokers running it, the response to Modells death might be so what, in the long run we are glad he sold and left town.

Ten years ago I'd have lined up to piss on his grave. Today, I'm just going to refrain from celebrating anyones death, even Art's.

Kosar, I was wondering- didnt Modell want a new stadium like the Indians got along with further concession and parking revenues? The city wanted to call his bluff and offered the remodel instead?

I guess I was like you when I heard the news of his passing, but kind of want to learn more about the man himself and the thought processes he went through.

He was originally offered to be part of the Gateway project with the cavs and indians, but refused(don't remember the reason). I think he preferred to have his stadium renovated through a city wide tax, which passed even though it was announce before the vote that he had decided to leave.

So? You think that electing a black man President is as notorious as those other events?

Maybe THAT comment of yours is a true revelation about you. -The Gipper.

not to me. but a historical event anyways. no. i'm not a right wing money grubbing weasel. so a black president to me was a good thing.

i bet ya YOU never thought YOU"D see it in YOUR lifetime.

I don't know. I saw it in movies and TV where guys like Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert and Danny Glover and maybe others had portrayed the President long before Obama was elected. So when it actually happened it didn't seem like that big of a deal.

Modell's 2 bad acts outweigh any good he ever did.

Firing Paul Brown and moving the team sealed his fate

Yea, that would be like saying: we should judge OJ Simpson on how well he ran the football....on the field or through airports. Not on whether he may have killed his ex-wife and another or on the fact that he committed armed robbery.

It was not the city that came up with the remodel proposal (which was patterned along the lines of the remodeling of the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville...which by the way, is the stadium the Jags use to this day), it was proposed by Modell himself.

Archived