THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Obvious That Weeden Doesn't Understand What Separation Is In The Nfl.

dab7291993

He's used to Blackmon being 4-5 steps ahead of receivers, and he's not understanding that 1 step is normal separation in the NFL. He underthrew Massaquoi on the sideline, and so far he's only hitting wide open WR's.

This is the main improvement I think all of us need to see out of Weeden. He needs to show he can make the throws that AREN'T easy, and he's not doing that right now.

This guy doesn't have a lot of time to learn seeing he is older than most rookies. He was a wasted pick IMO . In addition, you have shetty head coach that won't help the situation.

I agree on the coach. If he had a "REAL" headcoach, it would help for sure

Yeah. Shurmur is probably the worst head coach in the Nfl, but he doesn't throw the ball for Weeden. Many of his throws were GOD awful today.

Ummm I think you made that up, I watched the game and that wasn't the case. I saw some decision I didn't like, like throwing a 2 yd pass when you are running 2 minute drill. I saw a couple of passes that could of been better, but nothing I would qualify as god awful. Lots of issues, god awful throws wasn't one of them. Not enough holes, too many drops on wide open receivers, no pressure from the D to name a few.

I think the point is that Weeden is really not our biggest problem. We need to be able to run the ball, get pressure on the qb, play better in punt coverage, and call better plays on offense. Additionally, our Wrs could run better routes and catch the ball more consistently, and we could stop making dumb penalties, ohh and our DBs could start making plays instead of doing the minimum. And then finally, Weeden could have played a little better.

I was getting more at the fact he doesn't know when to throw the ball..he waits until a WR has a few steps to throw it when he needs to know when they have an inch on them..then throw it.

Weeden isn't the reason we lost the last 2 games. He has work to do but he is hardly our biggest problem right now.

Weeden isn't the reason we lost the last 2 games. He has work to do but he is hardly our biggest problem right now.

Except I'm not pissed about losing, I know we're gonna lose a lot of games this year.

I'm looking specifically at Weeden's weakness...which is a HUGE weakness. If a WR isn't open, don't expect Weeden to make a great throw.

I was getting more at the fact he doesn't know when to throw the ball..he waits until a WR has a few steps to throw it when he needs to know when they have an inch on them..then throw it.

This is true, though not as slow as McCoy at reading the open man, but it would help if all the receivers weren't rookies or poorly coached and he had a clue where the hell they were going.

I'm not a Wheeeeeeden fan (should be obvious to any regular here), but this thread is way off base.

Several passes today were forced to targets that were open by no steps...

Several were made to targets that were only open one step...

Only once did a WR break "wide open" today and he was hit for a TD... better than the throws 5' over their head in Gm 1.

The problem is not BW's arm... the problems are:

- the WR's are not separating;

- Wheeeeeeden is locking in on his primary way too much... starring them down from the snap... this is even true in friggin' screen passes which we got nothing out of again today; and

- when he comes off his primary (and he did a handful of times today) he is now bound and determined to throw to his 2ndary... which he did twice today... with one a near pick 6.

As for the running... It's now obvious that the HC is not letting him. Three times today he ran TR into an 8 man front for a net of about 2"... and that's being generous.

I'm not a Wheeeeeeden fan (should be obvious to any regular here), but this thread is way off base.

Several passes today were forced to targets that were open by no steps...

Several were made to targets that were only open one step...

Only once did a WR break "wide open" today and he was hit for a TD... better than the throws 5' over their head in Gm 1.

The problem is not BW's arm... the problems are:

- the WR's are not separating;

- Wheeeeeeden is locking in on his primary way too much... starring them down from the snap... this is even true in friggin' screen passes which we got nothing out of again today; and

- when he comes off his primary (and he did a handful of times today) he is now bound and determined to throw to his 2ndary... which he did twice today... with one a near pick 6.

As for the running... It's now obvious that the HC is not letting him. Three times today he ran TR into an 8 man front for a net of about 2"... and that's being generous.

'The WR's aren't separating' is such an overly used excuse.

Guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, good QB's recognize when a guy has A STEP on a DB and gets it to them where they can catch it. That's what separates average QB's from the good ones. It's not like everyone of their receivers has 3-5 steps on every throw, but they get it to their WR's.

When a QB isn't making tough throws fans always jump to the separation excuse.

And the fact that his only TD pass was to a WIDE OPEN WR doesn't help Weeden, it just shows he can make the throws any QB is supposed to make(and he doesn't even do that consistently.) I want to see him make throws to WR's that aren't that open..that's what this thread is about. He hasn't showed us any of that.

Wow really, get off the guys jock already, hes still kinda new if you have forgotten already. Its about pressure if you ask me. Just like Flacco, if you put him under pressure he makes poor decisions. But for gods sakes he is still hampered by coaching, avg receivers, and less than stellar off line. It takes time for the team to truly gel. If they still look this bad week 10 than maybe we should be a little more concerned...

Ohh my bad.

So instead of talking about his weaknesses I should just say "Weeden is really bad"

Riveting stuff

No, I was merely pointing out that, while you think you sounded like you knew what you were saying...you, in fact, did not.

A la Boomer Esiason.

'The WR's aren't separating' is such an overly used excuse.

Guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, good QB's recognize when a guy has A STEP on a DB and gets it to them where they can catch it. That's what separates average QB's from the good ones. It's not like everyone of their receivers has 3-5 steps on every throw, but they get it to their WR's.

When a QB isn't making tough throws fans always jump to the separation excuse.

And the fact that his only TD pass was to a WIDE OPEN WR doesn't help Weeden, it just shows he can make the throws any QB is supposed to make(and he doesn't even do that consistently.) I want to see him make throws to WR's that aren't that open..that's what this thread is about. He hasn't showed us any of that.

Not an exuse... fact... and I meant the WR's are not separating AT ALL... not even one step on way too many routes.

Were you at the game? I was... section 319, Dawg Pound Mezzanine. And I saw the coverage you did not with the TV cameras trained on the backfield. BW threw into tight coverage too often IMO.

I can only come up with one pass attempt where the WR had your precious "step" and a better throw would have made a difference... the fly Benjamin ran up the right sideline that the DB got the back of his hand on to break up. A little more air and that's 6... Then again, Benjamin could have helped his QB, i.e., pulled up and jumped for the reception.

Today BW threw many more good passes than he did bad...

Again... I'm not a Wheeeeeeden fan, but I am objective enough to admit that he is showing improvement. L-o-o-o-ong way to go, but improving.

What about the Massoquio throw in the 1st where he underthrew it where Mo had 2-3 steps on his DB on the sideline??

That's just one of them.

And no he didn't, he hit a lot of receivers who weren't covered. Nearly all of his completions in the 1st half were to receivers that were wide open. That doesn't make them good throws, how many of those throws were actually difficult? You can't say he's making any of the throws that make you think "this guy could be great"

At least not yet.

He's made exactly one throw that I do not believe Colt could have made... it was in Preseason Game 2(?)... the sideline pass to MoMass (IIRC) between two defenders. Even Bernie was giddy over that one.

I do not recall the play MoMass' way Sunday you refer to... But I have the game DVR'd and head back to TX this week.

And, yes, BW threw a couple real ducks today... one backfooted, half falling down throw was utterly laughable.

Do I see great yet? No... but I see signs that very good, and maybe even great, might be there. Will it emerge? Got me...

No, I was merely pointing out that, while you think you sounded like you knew what you were saying...you, in fact, did not.

A la Boomer Esiason.

lol I missed this.

1. That is a terrible sentence; it's God awful.

2. I am not the only person to recognize that Weeden doesn't throw the ball early enough.

What about the Massoquio throw in the 1st where he underthrew it where Mo had 2-3 steps on his DB on the sideline??

That's just one of them.

And no he didn't, he hit a lot of receivers who weren't covered. Nearly all of his completions in the 1st half were to receivers that were wide open. That doesn't make them good throws, how many of those throws were actually difficult? You can't say he's making any of the throws that make you think "this guy could be great"

At least not yet.

Peyton Manning had over 25 incompletions today. The Broncos should release him. He waits too long to throw. He sucks.

Wut.

If you're gonna be a condescending asshole, you should at least make sense.

How long should I wait to criticize Weeden? Until we replace him?

Weeden will more then likely be the QB all season. Colt will not be the starter unless Weeden gets hurt. I'm not sure if Weeden will ever be good or not. He's only played 3 regular season games. He looked bad against Philly, great against Cinci, and bad against Buffalo. This team needs numerous changes (Coach, GM, etc) at leadership positions before we will get any better in my opinion. I hope (and think) that the new owner realizes this. But don't expect any major changes this year.

Just some thoughts.

Some of the deeper passes, could have been thrown sooner or deeper. This will come in time. God forbid, Weeden isn't the only throwing INT's or short balls this year. However the WR's were catching those balls as if they weren't being covered. I can't remember who it was, but he went up to catch the ball into his body instead of catching it at his highest point with his arms stretched out. I believe there were two if not 3 instances when our WR's are not fighting for the ball and trying to put themselves into position to make the catch. This is game time, not practice.

Little is not helping us with his drops either. He needs to take seat and let's put Cribs in or let Gordon or Benji start in his stead. Let him lose some reps and maybe he will straighten up.

Weeden's not perfect, but let's remember our WR's are not helping out too much. And I would like to see our TE's get involved more as well.

Archived