THE BROWNS BOARD

John Gruden fired by the Bucs

Geech

I always thought Gruden as a decent coach...but not great.

I will say that I wouldn't mind him as the Rams head coach, but I would prefer Herm Edwards (but he won't be available for another week or so).

I find this odd; why would they wait so long?

I would not consider this a Browns failure; Lerner made the effective decision in an efficient manner. I am really looking forward to next season!

I agree.....and I think Mangini is a better choice for this team.

As we move forward...I assume with Quinn...Mangini runs a more normal offense. Gruden runs a O that is unlike any other in so far as terminology....by all accounts unnecessarily complicated. I wouldn't want to go through those growing pains on that side of the ball.

Gruden available or not, I am happy with our situation.

...Gruden available or not, I am happy with our situation.

Amen brother. We have Mangini, our OC, DC, and special teams coordinator. Kokinis is as good as landed and now we're interviewing the QB coach at USC who is well respected and consider a big catch.

Pretty damn good for Jan 17th.

Pretty damn good for Jan 17th.

I agree. The season is 3 weeks done, and we have the important parts in place....with as you say, the GM just a formality...and even if that falls through, that isn't all that critical. There are other GM qualified candidates out there, even if it isn't a football guy. Nothing says the GM has to be a super scout...you have scouts and coaches who can do that. A GM needs to be organized, a team builder, a clear thinker, communicator, and be detail oriented. If he doesn't have those skills, it doesn't matter how good he is at seeing talent.

We have the coach and the 2 main assistants with a possible QB coach in the wings. The other positions on the staff will come together with qualified teachers...there are hundreds who can do a good job if given the chance.

I feel good....now check back with me in 2 years to see if the feeling is the same. ;)

(Crossed fingers)

Guys, Mangini won more games with less talent than Gruden did the last three years.

And Mangini has a defensive plan and purpose. Gruden stayed competitive because of Kiffen's defense, Tampa fans have been livid about the offensive lack of production for years.

Gruden's biggest problem has been his treatment of QBs. He brings everyone in, gives them a shot, then belittles them. He has some weird QB complex, like he is jealous that he didn't get their physical skills, because he would be the best QB ever with his knowledge.

He let Chris Simms twist in the wind for years for seemingly personal reasons. He had Garcia on the bench in the beginning of this last season when he was clearly his best chance to win. Too much QB drama with Gruden. If all did not go perfctly, he would yank Quinn for Anderson to teach him a lesson and then bring in Brian Griese the next year. Screw that.

Let Chuckie take a year off ... think of the pressure on coaches next year with the all-star cast of Cowher, Shannahan, Gruden, and Dungy sitting on the sidelines next year. I'm glad we got our guy this year: he's young, experienced, has a plan and a purpose, and we are committed ... leave the drama and the starxxxxing for other franchises, let's roll up our sleeves and get to back to good ol' fashioned Cleveland Browns football. Mangini's the guy.

Zombo

--Just improving our tackling and coaching on defense makes us a much better team already.

an underachiever since he got lucky five years ago..........

I thought we were talking about Gruden not Tressell. I guess they both can lay claim to No Mo Championships - it's just that 1 guy gets treated to Indiana, Northwestern, and Purdue more often - arguably less regular season challlenges in the Big 10. Same story though: winning records and talented rosters becoming better known for goose eggs destroying post season expectations the last 3 years.

- Tom F.

Maybe you can talk Tressell into coaching the Browns. Just think Jim would be a failure at the highest level. Can anyone say Super Bowl blowout?

7-1 against Michigan, four straight Big Ten titles, three NC games with one win. Yeah, he's a bum.

If you could equate that to NFL kind of stats or numbers, he'd go down as one of the great coaches to ever walk onto the field.

For example, if a Browns coach came in and went 7-1 vs. Pittsburgh, won four straight division titles and went to three super bowls, winning one, he' d be named God in this town.

You really can't think on your own can you? You probably rely on ESPN for all of your news. You are truly a moron.

Guest Masters
I thought we were talking about Gruden not Tressell. I guess they both can lay claim to No Mo Championships - it's just that 1 guy gets treated to Indiana, Northwestern, and Purdue more often - arguably less regular season challlenges in the Big 10. Same story though: winning records and talented rosters becoming better known for goose eggs destroying post season expectations the last 3 years.

- Tom F.

Guest Masters

- Tom F.

Ouch! Good stuff Tom. I'd throw in that if Gruden only won his title because having mostly Dungy's guys, the same could be said of Tressel winning with Cooper's players.

Ouch! Good stuff Tom. I'd throw in that if Gruden only won his title because having mostly Dungy's guys, the same could be said of Tressel winning with Cooper's players.

I guess Cooper was the better coach and better recruiter then, huh?

Tressel has done a much better job of getting better athletes than Cooper ever did. Try going to scout or rivals and taking a look. As a matter of fact, a few classes back the Buckeyes broke the NFL record for players drafted in one year.

That arguement about winning with someone else players is ridiculous. Gruden did something with the same squad that Dungy didn't do with them....Dungy went on to do it with Indy, but none the less, he didn't do it in Tampa while Gruden did, and with the same players.

Guest Masters
I guess Cooper was the better coach and better recruiter then, huh?

Tressel has done a much better job of getting better athletes than Cooper ever did. Try going to scout or rivals and taking a look. As a matter of fact, a few classes back the Buckeyes broke the NFL record for players drafted in one year.

That arguement about winning with someone else players is ridiculous. Gruden did something with the same squad that Dungy didn't do with them....Dungy went on to do it with Indy, but none the less, he didn't do it in Tampa while Gruden did, and with the same players.

I am really not knocking Tressel, nor do I think Cooper was better. If you follow what I was responding to, these were jabs at a certain poster, who made rediculous statements about Gruden.

Archived