THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslem Interview

dawg08

Did anyone hear the Haslem interview during the game Sunday? I didn't realize that there is has to me am owners vote yet for the finalizing of the sale of the team to him(I believe they said the vote is in 2 weeks?), so at this point if he wanted to make changes, he can't. So right now we are in a "sit and watch" horrible football mode it seems. He was asked if he was going to make any changes and he stated probably not seeing that it was in the middle of the season. Apparently he sat in the Dawg pound during one of the preseason games and says that he now understands how important football is to this town and how great the fans are and he vowed to make this team competitive again and would renew that rivalry with the Squealers again.

I really like what he said(although it was a very short interview) and hopefully he is going to do what he says and does it in a QUICK fashion.

Did anyone hear the Haslem interview during the game Sunday? I didn't realize that there is has to me am owners vote yet for the finalizing of the sale of the team to him(I believe they said the vote is in 2 weeks?), so at this point if he wanted to make changes, he can't. So right now we are in a "sit and watch" horrible football mode it seems. He was asked if he was going to make any changes and he stated probably not seeing that it was in the middle of the season. Apparently he sat in the Dawg pound during one of the preseason games and says that he now understands how important football is to this town and how great the fans are and he vowed to make this team competitive again and would renew that rivalry with the Squealers again.

I really like what he said(although it was a very short interview) and hopefully he is going to do what he says and does it in a QUICK fashion.

:blink:

I did like what I heard from him as well. Of course he isn't going to come out say "yeah, we're going to be firing Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmer, and most of the rest of the staff" before he is even voted in.

Where have you been? The owners vote to allow Haslam to take control of the team has been set for Oct. 16 for some time now. So, no, Haslam can do nothing until then.

Also, in that interview he said he does not think there will be any changes the rest of the year, that it would be imprudent to do anything until the season ends. At that point however...all bets are off.

Where have you been? The owners vote to allow Haslam to take control of the team has been set for Oct. 16 for some time now. So, no, Haslam can do nothing until then.

Also, in that interview he said he does not think there will be any changes the rest of the year, that it would be imprudent to do anything until the season ends. At that point however...all bets are off.

I still say if were winless...he makes some kind of change when he takes over.

I still say if were winless...he makes some kind of change when he takes over.

I agree! I think it's all about winning with this guy, whatever it takes. And I sure in the hell hope he puts some people around him that knows what they are doing. I don't think he'll put up with this losing year in and year out. What I like about him is he actually sat in the Dawg Pound, I believe, when the Browns played the Eagles in preseason. And I bet he got a good feel of how the fans feel about the team and their frustrations.

If he doesn't clean house then he wasted a cool billion...

Maybe, maybe not, but he doesn't have to make any moves before seasons end. In some ways, it makes sense for him to let it play out. That way people can't claim he made knee jerk decisions.

This is non Holmgren.....he's out. That's pretty clear to me. I am talking more about Shurmer and Heckert.

The only thing that might change this is if Juaron or Childress is a possible candidate to replace Shurmer. Then we might see a change, say around week 12-13 to give them a 3-4 game audition.

If that works, then Heck might be safe as that would indicate it was more a coaching problem over a talent problem.

We are already seeing some jockeying by Shurmer with his statement that if Little can't catch, we can't play him. A clear maneuver that coaching isn't the problem....bad players is the problem.....look at Heckert, he is the guy giving him the players.

We'll see...

If he has someone waiting in the wings, he may well wait.... regardless. But if not...

He has two former HC's on staff, either of whom he may want to audition... say coming out of the bye-week... and see how the team responds.

Maybe, maybe not, but he doesn't have to make any moves before seasons end. In some ways, it makes sense for him to let it play out. That way people can't claim he made knee jerk decisions.

This is non Holmgren.....he's out. That's pretty clear to me. I am talking more about Shurmer and Heckert.

The only thing that might change this is if Juaron or Childress is a possible candidate to replace Shurmer. Then we might see a change, say around week 12-13 to give them a 3-4 game audition.

If that works, then Heck might be safe as that would indicate it was more a coaching problem over a talent problem.

We are already seeing some jockeying by Shurmer with his statement that if Little can't catch, we can't play him. A clear maneuver that coaching isn't the problem....bad players is the problem.....look at Heckert, he is the guy giving him the players.

I cant help but feel it is a coaching issue.

I cant help but feel it is a coaching issue.

Play calling yes, but you have to execute your routes and block who you are supposed to. Also being able to tackle someone or catch a ball or overthrow, that is completely on the player. You can only scheme so much for an opponent. If you line up off sides and hold 8 times a game at critical situations then you will lose.

We are 9-26 since Mike Holmgren took over, if he doesn't fire him the minute he takes over control then I am going to lose respect for him from the get-go.

If the team starts to play better and wants to let Shurmur to coach out the schedule, that is one thing. If he thinks Heckert's as good at his job as other guys that are available, that's another thing.

But Fat Fuck Holmgren needs to go. He is responsible for the overall culture of the franchise ... and it is a very bad one.

I would imagine the fact the Jim Brown is sitting next to Jimmy in the owners booth means Fat Fuck is already gone.

Zombo

We are 9-26 since Mike Holmgren took over, if he doesn't fire him the minute he takes over control then I am going to lose respect for him from the get-go.

If the team starts to play better and wants to let Shurmur to coach out the schedule, that is one thing. If he thinks Heckert's as good at his job as other guys that are available, that's another thing.

But Fat Fuck Holmgren needs to go. He is responsible for the overall culture of the franchise ... and it is a very bad one.

I would imagine the fact the Jim Brown is sitting next to Jimmy in the owners booth means Fat Fuck is already gone.

Zombo

Well if come 16th October when Jimmy is meant to take over, we are 0-6 then I would expect all of them to be let go Holmgren,Heckert & Shurmur. Going losing 12 in a row is not acceptable especially when he has had a whole season and full pre-season to get the team playing and winning. If Jimmy has someone who is available already to step right in, let him come in and use the remaining 10 games to use as evaluation for all the players and get used to any new Schemes a new coach might be wanting to bring in, by them I think we all wouldnt care what the win-loss at end of season would be so as we are further forward into any new plans that might be forthcoming with Haslam taking over, This lets let it run til the end of the season is just bullshit. If a work employee is doing a crap job at work you sack him, who cares if its a week before christmas you dont let something rot more than it has to. Shurmur needs to be at least 2-4 come Haslam taking over to stand a chance of staying in my opinion. LETS SEE !!!

I say October 17th Holmgren and Shurmer are gone, I would let Ray Rhodes coach it out till the end of the year and his buddy from the Eagles ( I forget his name right now ) takes over as President. Only thing that changes that is we win every game from now till then, and I'm not sure that will even help.

I personally would NOT be in favor of either Chili or Jauron becoming HC of the Browns. And I don't see the point of getting rid of an HC and putting in an interim.....unless you do plan to make that interim the HC.

The only time in history...Browns anyway...where that worked was when Marty took over for Sam.

I say October 17th Holmgren and Shurmer are gone, I would let Ray Rhodes coach it out till the end of the year and his buddy from the Eagles ( I forget his name right now ) takes over as President. Only thing that changes that is we win every game from now till then, and I'm not sure that will even help.

Where is Ray Rhodes these days? He seemed like a decent coach in the past.

Zombo

What I think would happen Z is that there would be no annoucement before the end of the season that Holmgren has been let go...but there could be a de facto turnover. Holmgren will be allowed to go gracefully in that he will still have the title, but they will transition over to whomever JH puts in charge by the end of the season. (Banner?)

Haslam seems class act, so I don't think he will want to embarass Holmgren by publicly canning him. He will be eased out ever so softly and subtlely.

The problem as I see it is Shurmur is a horrible gameday coach in playcalling, down and distance, clock management- and he's too arrogant to admit he sucks at it, and hand the reins over to Childress in that department. Seriously- what was the sense in bringing Brad in if Shurms was still going to call the plays?

Well, he's going down with the ship. He loses the next three (likely) he's done in my book. If not on October 17th, certainly at the bye week- doubly if the Browns are still winless at that time

And a +1 on Z's comment about Holmgren. Whiffed on McCoy- and then did a desperation pick of Weeden. Thought a WCO would work in Cleveland. The best GMs fit their scheme to the players they have not try and pound square pegs into round holes. We've been down that road before, and it doesn't work.

The problem as I see it is Shurmur is a horrible gameday coach in playcalling, down and distance, clock management- and he's too arrogant to admit he sucks at it, and hand the reins over to Childress in that department. Seriously- what was the sense in bringing Brad in if Shurms was still going to call the plays?

Well, he's going down with the ship. He loses the next three (likely) he's done in my book. If not on October 17th, certainly at the bye week- doubly if the Browns are still winless at that time

And a +1 on Z's comment about Holmgren. Whiffed on McCoy- and then did a desperation pick of Weeden. Thought a WCO would work in Cleveland. The best GMs fit their scheme to the players they have not try and pound square pegs into round holes. We've been down that road before, and it doesn't work.

I truly think if we're winless or even with 1 win by October 16th that he's almost going to have to do something. Maybe it's just a simple move of dumping Holmgren which really wouldn't have any effect on the season but would position him to bring in his own guy in that role. Firing the coach mid season doesn't work unless he's convinced Jauron or Childress or Rhodes is the guy to be the next coach but I imagine with a billion dollar investment, he's going to want his own guys throughout the organization.

I truly think if we're winless or even with 1 win by October 16th that he's almost going to have to do something. Maybe it's just a simple move of dumping Holmgren which really wouldn't have any effect on the season but would position him to bring in his own guy in that role. Firing the coach mid season doesn't work unless he's convinced Jauron or Childress or Rhodes is the guy to be the next coach but I imagine with a billion dollar investment, he's going to want his own guys throughout the organization.

My feelings with bringing in Rhodes is just to send a message and change the thinking. If your still win less by the 17th then the seasons garbage and with an interm coach other prospects won't have to tippy toe about the job in respect to the guy who hasn't been fired yet.

You've got to let them know "JIMMIES IN DA HOUSE! "

All I want to see is this team be relevant again. Whatever that takes, watching THIS product has been brutal. I do agree with several posters that the coaching and playcalling is worse than the players we have. At least we have a few that will transition good. I just don't see this going on much longer than Oct 16th... Make us YOUR team Jimmy...PLEASE!!!

Archived