THE BROWNS BOARD

Inept Coach Throws Rookie Qb Under The Bus.

hish747

See the article here

Coach Pat Shurmur turns up heat on Browns rookie QB Brandon Weeden

This coach is an absolute embarrassment and is all about saving his incompetent hide. You have a monster at running back averaging more than 5 yards per rush and on a 3rd and 1 the coach calls for a rookie QB to throw a pass to a depleted WR corps. Then this genius has the nerve to blame the QB for the interception.

At this point, if you pay a billion dollars for a team and keep this guy as coach you really need to have your head examined.

See the article here

This coach is an absolute embarrassment and is all about saving his incompetent hide. You have a monster at running back averaging more than 5 yards per rush and on a 3rd and 1 the coach calls for a rookie QB to throw a pass to a depleted WR corps. Then this genius has the nerve to blame the QB for the interception.

At this point, if you pay a billion dollars for a team and keep this guy as coach you really need to have your head examined.

No kidding. Shurmer knows he is gone, and the players know he is gone. At this point Shurmer can't possibly help this team.

A caller on the radio earlier said Haslam should fire Shurmur and make Holmgren coach the remainder of the season.

And not in the thinking that Holmgren is such a great coach, but to make Holmgren come eat this horrible meal he is responsible for. :P

And of course even if there is not something in his contract to prevent such a move and Haslam would never do a thing like that in the first place it sure as hell would be a hoot if it happened.

You know, if ole Bruce Arians makes Indy look respectable and your new owner's history as part owner of the Steelers...I think you may already know who going to replace Shurmur. That would be quite ironic I think.

please anyone but arians.

barf city.

Shurmer has no control of this team and it's obvious. He's hands down the worst coach in the NFL and IMO the blame falls squarely on his shoulders about this team. You know, I was looking over his resume and why the hell did this guy even become a head coach? His claim to fame was being the OC for the Rams, but in this 3 years there the offense ranked 29th, 26th, and 31st. I don't care if he was an apple on the great coaching tree, he has absolutely no business being on the sidelines. The Walrus and Shurmer have to go, plain and simple. Heckert stays, Childress as OC, Jauron as DC, and when the Eagles fire Reid this year (I'm calling it now) scoop him up. This team isn't a super bowl champion but isn't 0-5 bad either.

Shurmer has no control of this team and it's obvious. He's hands down the worst coach in the NFL and IMO the blame falls squarely on his shoulders about this team. You know, I was looking over his resume and why the hell did this guy even become a head coach? His claim to fame was being the OC for the Rams, but in this 3 years there the offense ranked 29th, 26th, and 31st. I don't care if he was an apple on the great coaching tree, he has absolutely no business being on the sidelines. The Walrus and Shurmer have to go, plain and simple. Heckert stays, Childress as OC, Jauron as DC, and when the Eagles fire Reid this year (I'm calling it now) scoop him up. This team isn't a super bowl champion but isn't 0-5 bad either.

I think fat ass Holmgren hired Shurmur as a favor to his friend the late Fritz Shurmur. Not to mention, Holmgren's big ego wouldn't have allowed for a credible head coach to come in to coach this team!

You know, I was looking over his resume and why the hell did this guy even become a head coach?

...and when the Eagles fire Reid this year (I'm calling it now) scoop him up. This team isn't a super bowl champion but isn't 0-5 bad either.

As someone beat me to the punch, Holmgren hired him because of his friendship with Pat's father Fritz Shurmur. The Shurmurs share the same offensive philosophy as Holmgren (WCO).

The Eagles aren't firing Ried. If the Philly fans had any say so what-so-ever, Reid would've been gone 8 years ago. The owner (Lorrey) loves Ried and Philly is always in contention under Reid. Besides Ried is a Holmgren discipline, I'd think you'd want to go another direction.

Fuck that noise, get rid of them all, Heckert,Jauron,Whipple,Ray Rhodes,Childress fire the fuckin ball boys too.

Heckert has been a wizard of drafting good, young players. The guy has a proven record in the NFL of getting good talent on teams. I'm telling you, this team is not devoid of talent. A serious head coach would have this team we have now at least a few W's. The defense has looked bad the past couple weeks granted, but that's largely because our back-up CB's shouldn't even be near the field (Skrine is just awful). Juaron calls good blitzes and when Taylor gets back our front 4 is decently stacked. What I like about Childress is that he at least somewhat has gotten through to dumbass shurmer that the only way to win in the NFL is to pass down the friking field. I think if he got the full reigns we'd actually resemble a team that took good chances and not dinking and dunking.

Bottom line is Shurmer is God awful and Mike Holmgren is completely out of touch with today's NFL. Those two guys make the most important decisions for the team and both need to be canned, hopefully by the end of the month. Give Childdress or Juaron the team and like I said pick up Reid if the eagles dump him this year.

As someone beat me to the punch, Holmgren hired him because of his friendship with Pat's father Fritz Shurmur. The Shurmurs share the same offensive philosophy as Holmgren (WCO).

The Eagles aren't firing Ried. If the Philly fans had any say so what-so-ever, Reid would've been gone 8 years ago. The owner (Lorrey) loves Ried and Philly is always in contention under Reid. Besides Ried is a Holmgren discipline, I'd think you'd want to go another direction.

True, but Reid actually embraces the WCO and molds into today's NFL. Technically, the Packers and Eagles run the WCO. I think it's pretty obvious the differences there so I don't need to go into detail. And you're right, they do love the guy but he's getting to that Jeff Fisher/Marty status. Always in contention but never wins big. There's only so much of that someone can do before it's time to part ways. I know it sounds crazy but I'd much rather be in the race and lose towards the end than put up with this crap year after year.

See the article here

^+1. Exactly what I was preaching in another thread. YOU Mr. Shurmur put your rookie quarterback in a position to fail. If Richardson had gotten stuffed on that play the worst thing that would have resulted was a punt.

Other huge gaffes I noticed? That 3 yard out on third and five, smart call there Pat. Hey nice bomb to Gordon, showcasing Weeden's arm strength? Did we see another one all game? Nope.

Trent was brought in to be the workhorse- so let's take him out on third downs. Absolutely brilliant- NOT!!!

Let's add in the dumb penalties in crucial situations- that's coaching friends.

True, but Reid actually embraces the WCO and molds into today's NFL. Technically, the Packers and Eagles run the WCO. I think it's pretty obvious the differences there so I don't need to go into detail. And you're right, they do love the guy but he's getting to that Jeff Fisher/Marty status. Always in contention but never wins big. There's only so much of that someone can do before it's time to part ways. I know it sounds crazy but I'd much rather be in the race and lose towards the end than put up with this crap year after year.

As someone who grew up in primarily in the 80s, I say me too! At least the Browns were in the hunt, and there was always hope! Not to mention, it was a fun time! The 80s are my greatest memory of the Browns. As well as the 1994 season! But I went to every game that year, and didn't even have season tickets.

How long before Shurmur has a press conference meltdown?

every one of his pressers are a meltdown. The guy can't or won't take responsiblity for this crap of a team.

Okay, now I'm sold on Shurmur failing this team.

3rd and one.... and you take Richardson out of the game?

Even if you are going to throw,

....play action ?

What, he didn't want Weeden to have to decide to hand off or not based on how the defense set up?

I don't know. In the least, they need to stop Shurmur from calling plays.

Richardson looked upset - no, really pissed that he was taken out.

And why would you have a rookie I never heard of, playing on the line when

forcing their offense to punt... that doesn't know better than to jump offsides?

Shurmur is now seeming like a cross between Butch Davis and Butticheck as coach of the Browns.

dammit. Oh yeah, you're down by three scores, and you go for a field goal? Really?

And Sheldon Brown? Veteran? Big play that should have been a blatant and stupidass

interference? Really?

"sigh"

Heckert has been a wizard of drafting good, young players. The guy has a proven record in the NFL of getting good talent on teams. I'm telling you, this team is not devoid of talent. A serious head coach would have this team we have now at least a few W's. The defense has looked bad the past couple weeks granted, but that's largely because our back-up CB's shouldn't even be near the field (Skrine is just awful). Juaron calls good blitzes and when Taylor gets back our front 4 is decently stacked. What I like about Childress is that he at least somewhat has gotten through to dumbass shurmer that the only way to win in the NFL is to pass down the friking field. I think if he got the full reigns we'd actually resemble a team that took good chances and not dinking and dunking.

Bottom line is Shurmer is God awful and Mike Holmgren is completely out of touch with today's NFL. Those two guys make the most important decisions for the team and both need to be canned, hopefully by the end of the month. Give Childdress or Juaron the team and like I said pick up Reid if the eagles dump him this year.

If you want to kick Shurmur, I'm right there with ya, but make no mistake, this is Heckert's team. He's the one who drafted college tackles to play guard in the NFL. He's the one who cut a real FB after he drafted Marecic. (We're the only team in the league that starts a FB who can't block or catch.) Heckert's the guy who used a 2nd rd pick to draft a wr with one year of college experience in Little, and then did it again with Gordon. It was Heckert who blew 3 draft picks to move up for an injured RB in Hardesty.

And don't get me started on his use of FA, or should I say lack thereof.

I could go on, but you get my point. Heckert is JAG as an GM. There a reason why he never had final say in Philly, and he won't have it here after the season.

The team CAN and NEEDS to do a lot better than Heckert if we're ever going to get out of this mess.

If you want to kick Shurmur, I'm right there with ya, but make no mistake, this is Heckert's team. He's the one who drafted college tackles to play guard in the NFL. He's the one who cut a real FB after he drafted Marecic. (We're the only team in the league that starts a FB who can't block or catch.) Heckert's the guy who used a 2nd rd pick to draft a wr with one year of college experience in Little, and then did it again with Gordon. It was Heckert who blew 3 draft picks to move up for an injured RB in Hardesty.

And don't get me started on his use of FA, or should I say lack thereof.

I could go on, but you get my point. Heckert is JAG as an GM. There a reason why he never had final say in Philly, and he won't have it here after the season.

The team CAN and NEEDS to do a lot better than Heckert if we're ever going to get out of this mess.

I agree 100%. You build a team with mid to late round picks. ANY GM can get the first round correct. It's the "GREAT" GM that gets high quality talent in rounds 3-6. Not everyone on your team can be a first rounder

Who needed a couple games? lol

When Holmgren hired Shurmur it was obvious he was not qualified to be a HC and on top of that the whole Lamonte thing came into play, thing stunk of cronyism from the get go.

I don't think anyone is surprised Shurmur is a complete failure.

Surprised? No- but hopeful for the best, as always. Holmgren wrote his legacy firing Mangini, and gift wrapping the job to one of his pal's kid. I really wonder where we'd be right now if Big Mike had the guts to say Mangini looks like a pretty decent coach, and maybe HIS not my (outdated) system will work here.

Personally I'd bet the ranch we wouldn't be 0-5.

Agreed holmgren is a poop.. He was never all in which was apparent during his radio interview in Seattle.. He botched the mangini firing.. He had no intentions ib keeping mangini. Should have fired him the first year he came in or kept him.. Mangini is way better coach than shurmur...

You don't keep a guy for the sake of continuity..

I can only Hope that haslam makes a good choice with GM and headcoach.

Holmgren, heckert, shurmur fuck you too!

I agree 100%. You build a team with mid to late round picks. ANY GM can get the first round correct. It's the "GREAT" GM that gets high quality talent in rounds 3-6. Not everyone on your team can be a first rounder

I agree. The best teams build from the bottom up. Most everybody on this board could make a 1st through 3rd rounder and hit or blow it as well as any GM out there.

By blow it, I mean we could make the same pick 3/4 of the GMs would make and the kid just flunks out for no apparent reason....that happens.

The guys who last and make the money and win a ring are the guys who consistently find starting to solid back-up players in rounds 4-7.

Oddly, Heck hasn't done all that badly there, but his 2nd and 3rd rounders have been very iffy at this point.

They ain't going to fire anyone till the end of the season. Then you will see a big change. What is with you people who think they will fire after so few games? Fucking kids.

11 game losing streak is one reason why I don't think Shurmur sees the end of the season. The new owner is going to want to make an impression immediately with the fans and the losing streak could be at 12 by the time he takes over and a coach with a 4 and 17 record possibly at worst or 5-16 at best just isn't going to cut it I wouldn't think.

You guys have way too much hope. Weeden will never be a QB in the NFL. Your dreams are spoiled. Live with it.... Bring in Colt

Says the guy who thinks a QB that no one in in the NFL wanted for as little as a bag of footballs is better than the guy with 5 NFL starts and he made at least one play on Sunday that Colt can only dream of making. And it wasn't the crappy INT on 3rd and 1. We saw plenty of those from noodle arm Colt in his 2 years of playing.

Roosterdick is even worse than lumpburg used to be for Derek Anderception...at least lumpburg could be funny once in awhile.

Say what you want about Shurmur but he's right about that pass. He is getting killed for the 3 &1 throw but newsflash, Gordon was open and Weeden threw a terrible pass. If the ball was where it should be and Gordon doesn't drop it.......wait for it.......First Down Browns. What kills me is the second guessing of run vs pass when it was clear Gordon was open.

Archived