THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Needs To Stay

BaconHound

I might be the only guy in here but I watch all Shurmur's press conferences on the Browns page and I can honestly say I like the guy. I don't think he is the issue, the issue IMO is we have talent but not enough and not in all the right spots. This team lacks depth and continues to make mistakes but at some point players need to be responsible for their ability or lack thereof. If we get to the point where the Browns are clearly the more talented team on the field and they are losing then the Coach should be addressed. As it stands the Browns might be even talent wise with Buffalo and close with Cinci but everyone else they've played is more talented. The Browns points spreads have been 7.5, 7.5, 3.5, 10.5 & 10.5. Those numbers are reflective of a bad team not a team that is close with a coaching change..

So our 1st round 29 year old QB learns a new system to bring us to the playoffs? Or the new coach brings in his own first round QB? At some point we need stability..

would you rather see our 29 year old qb run shurmer's offense?

It's not about the system, the WCO can work in the NFL. But you can't stick strictly to the book and expect people not to know what's coming.

It IS about the system. Not 1 team runs the west coast system. EXCEPT the Browns. All the other teams have adapated and adjusted the system. But Shurmur keeps the system the same.

I think we would see a better scheme if we had a better team. We have a very good running back, an inconsistent offensive line, a rookie QB and our best threat at receiver is a pot smoker who didn't play college ball from July 2011 until training camp this year.

All the other teams have adapated and adjusted the system. But Shurmur keeps the system the same.

you mean holmshurmurgren don't you? you know the walrus is pulling the strings. how do you think shurmur got the job?

"do as you're told pat, do as you're told."

I think we would see a better scheme if we had a better team. We have a very good running back, an inconsistent offensive line, a rookie QB and our best threat at receiver is a pot smoker who didn't play college ball from July 2011 until training camp this year.

so we would have a better scheme if we had better players??????????????? well who's picking the players????????????? 3 years and we are the worst team in the league. THAT'S ON THE PEOPLE THAT THINK THIS SYSTEM WILL WORK IN 2012

I might be the only guy in here but I watch all Shurmur's press conferences on the Browns page and I can honestly say I like the guy. I don't think he is the issue, the issue IMO is we have talent but not enough and not in all the right spots. This team lacks depth and continues to make mistakes but at some point players need to be responsible for their ability or lack thereof. If we get to the point where the Browns are clearly the more talented team on the field and they are losing then the Coach should be addressed. As it stands the Browns might be even talent wise with Buffalo and close with Cinci but everyone else they've played is more talented. The Browns points spreads have been 7.5, 7.5, 3.5, 10.5 & 10.5. Those numbers are reflective of a bad team not a team that is close with a coaching change..

You like Shurmur? Well so do I he's a swell guy. So was Chris Palmer. Toooooo bad Shurmur is a LOUSY coach.

Heckert has upgraded every position on the team (except linebacker)and Shurmur is on a 5 game losing streak.

Stability is a fine thing- I hope you'd enjoy another 2-14 season- because that's where we're headed with Pattycakes at the helm. If I saw ANY hope Shurmur could turn into a 1\2 competent HC, I'd be wiling to give him a break. Buy a clue- Ram's fans were more than happy to see him gone as OC. So just WHO is calling the plays now?

Here's your dose of reality. Shurmur in on a ONE game leash. He loses badly to the Bnegals this Sunday, he may as well clean out his office on Monday- because sure as s**t Haslam will fire him come the 16th. A win saves his sorry ass until the next embarrassing loss- and those will come- trust me.

I can't defend Shurmur anymore. Between NOT playing Richardson on third downs, and saying they

are working on getting him ready to be an every down back... (what the hell?)...

then that is after deciding way too early, that Weeden must be the starter from day one,

that seems contradictory to me.

And going for a field goal when down by three scores with not much time left.... forget it.

then, when asked about Richardson not being on the field on third down... and Shurmur

says something Buttichek like, "was he?" or whatever. I like Weeden, but it was too soon to start him.

Colt McCoy deserved to have a legit chance to start, at least for a little while, to let Weeden get some game experience

here and there. Instead, Shurmur threw him in there. to make himself look like a frickin genius. Oops.

There's a hell of a lot more to qb'ing than having a cannon arm. And Colt wasn't prone to throwing stupid ints but rarely.

I'd be fine if Shurmur is gone, but if he stays, he'd better figure out that Richardson is already an every down back.

dammit. How stupid it is, to finally get a legit RT and a dynamic RB, and some wr's who can actually get open...

then screw it all up by dumping the qb who struggled last year with the lack of the above?

I would have started Colt, and if/when Colt was holding the offense back with his non cannon arm,

Weeden would step in in a new york second.

I am with you 100%. Good luck trying to be rational with Browns fans though. It seems like half of the members on this board and the local media thought that we were going to beat playoff and Superbowl caliber teams this year. The players have been playing hard, the offense looks more potent than it has since they have been back against some good defenses, and the defense has been missing three starters (its best player, a starting linebacker, and last year's 1st round draft pick). If you want to call for a coaches head, make it the special teams coach Chris Tabor. The special teams play has been awful.

Anyways BaconHound, I have a feeling that Shurmur will get more of a chance than fans think; especially if the Browns do well in the second half of the season. I wonder how many of these fans were calling for Belichik's head way back when.

I am with you 100%. Good luck trying to be rational with Browns fans though. It seems like half of the members on this board and the local media thought that we were going to beat playoff and Superbowl caliber teams this year. The players have been playing hard, the offense looks more potent than it has since they have been back against some good defenses, and the defense has been missing three starters (its best player, a starting linebacker, and last year's 1st round draft pick). If you want to call for a coaches head, make it the special teams coach Chris Tabor. The special teams play has been awful.

Anyways BaconHound, I have a feeling that Shurmur will get more of a chance than fans think; especially if the Browns do well in the second half of the season. I wonder how many of these fans were calling for Belichik's head way back when.

The only reason I have not necessarily called for Shurmur's head is because somewhere in the back of my mind I hear the words "Bill Walsh" and "Chuck Noll" and "Bill Belichick"....Hall of Fame coaches who started out far worse even than Shurmur did. Call it a gut feeling, I don't know..

The issue really isn't that Shurmur is a "bad guy". It's ok that you like him. While you certainly want to win every game, sure people will understand that the better team usually wins. The issue is that Shurmur has demonstrated several times through very poor decision making that he's not ready to coach an NFL team.

keep shurmur... hahaha this is funny!

At firt i thought it was a joke and then i thought it was a troll

Shurmur is a Ri-tard...

Show me where he has showed a glimspe like he has a clue what is going on?

call it a gut feeling but this will be his last NFL coaching gig..

Besides you don't think Haslam already has an idea of who he wants to hire? let the owner decide on the GM and get his guy to run the team..

I don't know anyone that thought that we would be good this season, nearly everyone thought it would be a rough, developmental season.

Fans are mad because we're seeing a terrible product out on the field, due to Shurmur's playcalling, which is the WCO by the book. He is running the most predictable offense in NFL history, and it's not getting any different.

Shurmur's predictable playcalling is holding this team back.

Plain and simple. He is either too scared or too inexperienced to do anything but call plays by-the-book.

It is predictable, but its our d that is killing us. You have to believe that the Browns knew that Bradshaw was going to run, and he ran for 200 yards. Its so hard to ask for another coach and another system because they will have another year learning curve. Hell the Packers run a wco and it tooks Rodgers 3 years to perfect it. If we keep changing coaches we are going to be stuck in the never ending circle that is losing. Coaches should have 3 years to work shit out.

It is predictable, but its our d that is killing us. You have to believe that the Browns knew that Bradshaw was going to run, and he ran for 200 yards. Its so hard to ask for another coach and another system because they will have another year learning curve. Hell the Packers run a wco and it tooks Rodgers 3 years to perfect it. If we keep changing coaches we are going to be stuck in the never ending circle that is losing. Coaches should have 3 years to work shit out.

There's a difference between continuity and sticking with a shit coach. The guy isn't anything close to an offensively gifted.

The Packers stuck with McCarthy because McCarthy at least had experience running an offense. McCarthy was an NFL offensive coordinator for five years before taking the job in Green Bay.

Shurmer had one (two?) year of coordinating. For the Rams. His claim to fame is helping the Rams climb from an abysmal 1-15 season to a respectable 7-9 record the following season. You know, with that first overall pick Sam Bradford. The QB who was supposed to be the most NFL ready QB in years, coming from a pro-style Oklahoma offense.

I'm sure Bradford didn't instantly improve that team overnight.

The difference between teams like Green Bay or Philly, who run variations of the WCO, and Cleveland is that the former only sample the WCO. They don't blindly adhere to it, as it's seeming Shurmer does. I

t's like he's standing on the sidelines on gameday going "Well this worked for my boss, so it will work for me". Has anybody checked the date on his playsheet? I'm almost positive it says "Property of 1996 Green Bay Packers"

When an NFL.com writer publishes an article saying that an outside source guessed the upcoming Browns play with 95% accuracy, it's time to start changing things up.

Archived