THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Needs To Stay

BaconHound

My main issue with Shurmer has to do with his duties on the sideline each Sunday. He has put way too much on his plate each week. He doesn't have the experience to be able to handle play calling and typical head coaching duties. To me, it seems like he losses grasp of what's happening in the flow of the game. This is certainly something a coach can see from the press box.

Last year he had Dick Juran on the sideline with him to help him a bit. Now all the "experience" is in a press box. I know Childress doesn't like calling plays Sunday, but in my opinion, one of two things needs to happen for him to succeed in Cleveland.

1. Transfer play calling to someone else

Or...

2. Bring Juran or Childress to the sideline on Sundays.

To Bacon's point, I think the talent has been a bit lacking, but there are other teams in the league in a similar situation as the Browns, but have shown success (Dolphins, Titans). This has to go on Shurmer. My point is that it isn't due to his inability as coach, but rather his self-imposed burden on the sidelines.

There's a difference between continuity and sticking with a shit coach. The guy isn't anything close to an offensively gifted.

The Packers stuck with McCarthy because McCarthy at least had experience running an offense. McCarthy was an NFL offensive coordinator for five years before taking the job in Green Bay.

Shurmer had one (two?) year of coordinating. For the Rams. His claim to fame is helping the Rams climb from an abysmal 1-15 season to a respectable 7-9 record the following season. You know, with that first overall pick Sam Bradford. The QB who was supposed to be the most NFL ready QB in years, coming from a pro-style Oklahoma offense.

I'm sure Bradford didn't instantly improve that team overnight.

The difference between teams like Green Bay or Philly, who run variations of the WCO, and Cleveland is that the former only sample the WCO. They don't blindly adhere to it, as it's seeming Shurmer does. I

t's like he's standing on the sidelines on gameday going "Well this worked for my boss, so it will work for me". Has anybody checked the date on his playsheet? I'm almost positive it says "Property of 1996 Green Bay Packers"

When an NFL.com writer publishes an article saying that an outside source guessed the upcoming Browns play with 95% accuracy, it's time to start changing things up.

Hit the nail on the head. Just another small piece of info about our lovely coach. I was looking over his resume and why the hell did this guy even become a head coach? His claim to fame was being the OC for the Rams, but in this 3 years there the offense ranked 29th, 26th, and 31st. I

Nevermind.... I thought it was a fill-in-the-blank thread...

Pat Shurmur needs to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Seems to do wonders for unskilled people working in other fields...

I don't know anyone that thought that we would be good this season, nearly everyone thought it would be a rough, developmental season.

Fans are mad because we're seeing a terrible product out on the field, due to Shurmur's playcalling, which is the WCO by the book. He is running the most predictable offense in NFL history, and it's not getting any different.

The fans must not have watched all of the games last year where the Browns averaged under 14 points a game against a bunch of mediocre defenses (with the exception of the Ravens, Texans, and 49ers). We are putting up more points and moving the ball with more consistency against some top flight defenses this year. In fact, the offense has shown improvement so far while the defense has struggled to stop the opposing offenses. Our weak linebacking, thin secondary, and inconsistent pass rush has really hurt us. So, I am going to have to disagree with the general consensus which seems to go along with the chorus line of the crappy Cleveland media. For example, Grossi (a hack) wrote an article that I read yesterday morning blaming the offense-who put up 27 points and kept the Giants D from sacking Weeden- for the loss in the Giants game when the real problem was turnovers and getting shredded by Eli Manning and Bradshaw's running. This makes no sense. Was the offense supposed to put up 50 against the defending Super Bowl champs? I watch all of the games and form my own opinions instead of listening to a bunch of disgruntled Cleveland beat reporters.

hell he might be another vince lombardi......in 20 years.

do we as fans of a franchise who hasn't won dick in decades want our franchise to be his on-the-job training post?

5 years plans went out about 5 years a go. if you don't get your job done and show improvement every year (not only in wins, but in discipline, showing diversity on both sides of the ball with different schemes, garnering talent etc. etc.) most people don't stick around past their second year. ask holmgren about mangini.

heckert has got us some talent. but has he done a GREAT job? eh, i'd give him a six out of ten. a lot of these guys are starting to show me a little sumthin' sumthin'.

but holmgren and shurmur have to be the 2 biggest blots on haslam's radar and he's probably already got the f-16s warming up on the runway to go shoot them down.

you mean holmshurmurgren don't you? you know the walrus is pulling the strings. how do you think shurmur got the job?

"do as you're told pat, do as you're told."

100% correct.

Archived