THE BROWNS BOARD

Worst Head Coach In Nfl?

WRREBEL

IDk, look that shit up. It is what it is - what's Tom Brady's winning % without Belichik?

Does Tom Brady become a 3 time SB winner if he doesn't play for Belichik? My guess is if Tom Brady doesn't get drafted by the Patriots and someone were to ask who is Tom Brady we'd all guess it was some character from the Brady bunch.

IDk, look that shit up. It is what it is - what's Tom Brady's winning % without Belichik?

Does Tom Brady become a 3 time SB winner if he doesn't play for Belichik? My guess is if Tom Brady doesn't get drafted by the Patriots and someone were to ask who is Tom Brady we'd all guess it was some character from the Brady bunch.

So let me get this straight. Your saying that Tom Brady would suck unless drafted by defensive minded Bill BeLichik. yup makes perfect sense.

oh yeah Bill Belichick coaches without Tom Brady as his QB, he’s 53-53.

So let me get this straight. Your saying that Tom Brady would suck unless drafted by defensive minded Bill BeLichik. yup makes perfect sense.

oh yeah Bill Belichick coaches without Tom Brady as his QB, he’s 53-53.

You cant argue with idiots...These are the same morons that want Mangina to come back and bring in more useless over the hill playes like david bowens and the other useless bums he brought in...No thanks...been there...done that!.

hey maybe if tim couch was drafted by a team already built he would be still playing and we'd be talking about him in the same breath as the mannings and bradys.

how do you think ryan mallet is feeling right now? knowing that one day he'll play for one of the finest franchises in the past decade, meanwhile learning from some of the best minds in football.

do you think san fran was a dynasty before or after joe monatana joined the team? again the team was already built with an offensive genius as a HC. does that sound like couch or weeden? hell no.

i think this team is playing good despite the fuckups on the coaching staff...besides the FO.

half this sport is luck and it all starts with the draft. if you can find those gems in the 4-7th rounds, then you are going to be a contender.

belichick finds them every year. and he brings in retreads and makes something of them..again.

idiots.

hey maybe if tim couch was drafted by a team already built he would be still playing and we'd be talking about him in the same breath as the mannings and bradys.

how do you think ryan mallet is feeling right now? knowing that one day he'll play for one of the finest franchises in the past decade, meanwhile learning from some of the best minds in football.

do you think san fran was a dynasty before or after joe monatana joined the team? again the team was already built with an offensive genius as a HC. does that sound like couch or weeden? hell no.

i think this team is playing good despite the fuckups on the coaching staff...besides the FO.

half this sport is luck and it all starts with the draft. if you can find those gems in the 4-7th rounds, then you are going to be a contender.

belichick finds them every year. and he brings in retreads and makes something of them..again.

idiots.

Ryan Mallet ... LOL

Weeden has a chance to be a franchise savior. He plays football every Sunday. Who wants to hold a clipboard and follow Brady's act?

Zombo

Aaron Rogers.

Ryan Mallet is NO Aaron Rogers.

Puh lease.

More like Brian Griese following Elway or Jay Fiedler following Marino.

That's IF Ryan freaking Mallet ever replaces Brady. Not likely.

Aaron Rogers ... please.

Z

You cant argue with idiots...These are the same morons that want Mangina to come back and bring in more useless over the hill players like david bowens and the other useless bums he brought in...No thanks...been there...done that!.

IF they brought Mangini back (they won't) he wouldn't have nearly that much control.

Oh for th love of nake negroes, get off of it already. Belichink is not a good HC because his assistants have been shit head coaches?

Dude, you don't understand hierarchy, leadership and you certainly don't understand human nature.

I wasnted Crennell fired after the first pre season game. EVERYONE on this board INSISTED that I didn't know what I was tlaking about, and that you can't tell anything about a coach after one Preseason game........

Well, that's why most of you will never make $100,000 in a year for your entire life. YOu have too narrow understanding of the way things work.

Bill B is know to be a control freak. He is demanding, inflexible and things must be done HIS way. This is how I knew BEFORE ANYONE ELSE, that Crennell would be a failure.

All you jackoffs were giving me this bullshit about how Bellichik sucked and how it was really CRENNELL who made Bill WHat he was. Same shit I hear about Phil Sewage and Baltimore.

NEWSFLASH......... managers in ANY field, who served under demanding, inflexible bosses, NEVER, EVER experienced freedom to lead in thier own jobs. They took orders........... that's it. Rich and I both told you guys, Crennell brought coffee to Belichik and Sewage brought coffee to Ozzie.

Some coaches are teaching coaches, Belichik isn't. What he IS, is a three-superbowl winning head coach, who year-after-year has a competitive team.

YOu are indeed correct..... however, the QB is emphatically 75% of what makes a football team a winner or a loser. Take away Big Ben? The steelers are a 7 - 9 team. WHen Bradshaw was hurt, the Steel Curtain, Sawnn , Franco and company couldn't win shit.

Still, Belichik is a great coach.

First of all, i wasn't around when people were hyping Savage. I kind of wrote that guy off after the wonder years show ended.

Second.. I am not saying Bill B is a not a good head coach i just think the talk of him being great or the greatest heach coach of all time is over blown. The record speaks for itself with out Tom Brady.

Tom Coughlin and him are in the same category as far as I'm concerned.

Romeo Crennel.. how does this guy get a 2nd gig has head coach. If you think Shurmur is a bad coach which i do, Romeo makes him look like Bill Walsh.

Jamaal Charles, their biggest offensive weapon, carried only five times for 4 yards.

Why did Charles have so few attempts?

"Now, that I'm not exactly sure, either," Crennel said

So it is safe to say Romeo Crennel will be fired. Shurmur will be on his way out also. Unless the chargers turn things around Nov Turner will get fired. Andy Reid looks like a good bet to get the boot. Ron Rivera.

Other guys who may potentialy get canned.

Rex Ryan

Jim Swartz

Jason Garrett

Marvin Lewis

Chan Gailey

I would add

Leslie Frazier

Ken Whisenhunt

to that list depending on how Vikes/Cards finish the season..

Ryan Mallet is NO Aaron Rogers.

Puh lease.

More like Brian Griese following Elway or Jay Fiedler following Marino.

That's IF Ryan freaking Mallet ever replaces Brady. Not likely.

Aaron Rogers ... please.

Z

and you sir are no jack kennedy. i knew jack kennedy. and by no way would he be such a homo.

you really think ryan mallet couldn't come in right now and replace brady like he did bledsoe and lead the patriots to a better record than ours? (yes than ours, because in your eyes weeden will take us to the playoffs this year)......correct?

what's the over and under on the browns winning 3 more games?

pleez tell me now.

and you sir are no jack kennedy. i knew jack kennedy. and by no way would he be such a homo.

you really think ryan mallet couldn't come in right now and replace brady like he did bledsoe and lead the patriots to a better record than ours? (yes than ours, because in your eyes weeden will take us to the playoffs this year)......correct?

what's the over and under on the browns winning 3 more games?

pleez tell me now.

Ryan Mallet ... LOL

Weren't you one of the McCoy Munchkins too?

Why don't you jump on the Weedster Train before it is too far out of the station and back a winner for once in your life ...

Zombo

Ryan Mallet ... LOL

Weren't you one of the McCoy Munchkins too?

Why don't you jump on the Weedster Train before it is too far out of the station and back a winner for once in your life ...

Zombo

sorry. obviously you don't read half the threads you start or reply to all the way through but by the likes of TCPO and even some steeler trolls i've seen the light with the weed and a foot tall acrylic bong.

and as far as backing a winner once in my life...ahem....aren't we browns fans?

or maybe i misunderstood you and you meant back up to a weiner. nah man, i'll leave that to you and WRRebel.

oh and BTW they just signed a cover CB to their team when no one else is doing jack shit.

belichick knows what he is doing. if the players don't do it the patriot way then their out. sorta like the steelers or the giants orgs. they take a chance and either make or break 'em.

good move by them in my book. yet we sit on our hands.

go figure.

Romeo has to top list.. but loud mouth, fat ass, Rex Ryan is right there. Jason Garrett is vastly overrated but he is handicapped by his association with Jerry "Head-up-my-own-ass" Jones.

Andy Reid probably needs to be on the list... And not that I want him, but I also believe that he will be our next HC.... just a hunch based on circumstances.

IMO Mangini should never have been fired... and especially not to be replaced by Patsy. You cannot watch Eric break down plays on ESPN without being impressed. And as good as he is, he also knew how to delegate... as he did with Rob Ryan. Contrast that with Patsy insecurely clutching the offensive responsibilities.

As for Bill B... I think his gifts are in spotting talent in both players and coaches, and then getting the most out of them... classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts, organizational leadership skills. I fail to see how anyone can study BB's NE record in the light of the turnover in both staff and roster, and come to any conclusion other than BB is one great coach.

Romeo has to top list.. but loud mouth, fat ass, Rex Ryan is right there. Jason Garrett is vastly overrated but he is handicapped by his association with Jerry "Head-up-my-own-ass" Jones.

Andy Reid probably needs to be on the list... And not that I want him, but I also believe that he will be our next HC.... just a hunch based on circumstances.

IMO Mangini should never have been fired... and especially not to be replaced by Patsy. You cannot watch Eric break down plays on ESPN without being impressed. And as good as he is, he also knew how to delegate... as he did with Rob Ryan. Contrast that with Patsy insecurely clutching the offensive responsibilities.

As for Bill B... I think his gifts are in spotting talent in both players and coaches, and then getting the most out of them... classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts, organizational leadership skills. I fail to see how anyone can study BB's NE record in the light of the turnover in both staff and roster, and come to any conclusion other than BB is one great coach.

:lol: I think you just don't like fatty fatty fatties.

Yup the most over rated coach probably in NFL history. Not saying he is an awful coach but isnt a great one.

He was going to be fired in NE before Bledsoe got hurt. Amazing how smart a ELITE Franchise QB makes you.

you can say the same about Tony Dungy and Jim Caldwell. They had the best QB in the game in his prime and won 1 superbowl...

Sad thing is we haven't had a compatent coach since we have been back and were missing the franchise guy as well

I am no fan of Belichick, on what basis can you state Belichick was going to be fired before Bledsoe was hurt?

You act like having a great QB is the only thing needed to win a Super Bowl - Tony Dungy had the best QB and the game and won "only" one Super Bowl as if a Super Bowl is an easy thing to get. The Colts had to overcome the Steelers and Patriots - who combined to reach 8 Super Bowls from 2001-2011.

Dan Reeves was 0-3 in the Super Bowl with John Elway. Bud Grant was 0-3 with Fran Tarkenton. Marv Levy was 0-4 with Jim Kelly. Mike Holmgren was 1-1 with Brett Favre. Don Shula only reached 1 Super with Dan

It takes more than just a QB. A lot of great QBs do not win Super Bowls. Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Rich Gannon all won MVPs with career years at QB and failed in the Super Bowl.

Try and recognize it takes a team effort with that QB play to win a Super Bowl - and for a fan base that has never won a Super Bowl, one would think you'd consider a Super Bowl win with a little more regard.

Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Rich Gannon all won MVPs with career years at QB and failed in the Super Bowl.

Try and recognize it takes a team effort with that QB play to win a Super Bowl - and for a fan base that has never won a Super Bowl, one would think you'd consider a Super Bowl win with a little more regard.

great post.

dan fouts threw for more yards than anybody back in the day under the 'air-coryell' teams, until marino broke his record (now held by brees) and neither won a super bowl. in fact fouts never made it to the super bowl.

their 'team' was hi-octane offense with no running game and a shread of defense. sorta like NO now.

so do want a balanced team like the giants or a one sided fireworks show in NO?

i'll take the gints every sunday.

we could have easily won 3 more games than our record shows right now if not for a couple of personal blunders on both players and coaching staff.

don't be surprised if shurmur keeps his job.

I am no fan of Belichick, on what basis can you state Belichick was going to be fired before Bledsoe was hurt?

You act like having a great QB is the only thing needed to win a Super Bowl - Tony Dungy had the best QB and the game and won "only" one Super Bowl as if a Super Bowl is an easy thing to get. The Colts had to overcome the Steelers and Patriots - who combined to reach 8 Super Bowls from 2001-2011.

Dan Reeves was 0-3 in the Super Bowl with John Elway. Bud Grant was 0-3 with Fran Tarkenton. Marv Levy was 0-4 with Jim Kelly. Mike Holmgren was 1-1 with Brett Favre. Don Shula only reached 1 Super with Dan

It takes more than just a QB. A lot of great QBs do not win Super Bowls. Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Rich Gannon all won MVPs with career years at QB and failed in the Super Bowl.

Well to respond to your first question "I am no fan of Belichick, on what basis can you state Belichick was going to be fired before Bledsoe was hurt?"

According to reports and from Mangini who was on the coaching staff. Bill B told his coaching staff that he thought he was going to get canned. This according to mangini. Where this is smoke there is fire..

Also you are bringing up a different Era in football. The league is now a passing league. The rules have changed, DB's were able to do a lot more back in the day. Franchise QB are more important than ever. In the 80's teams like the Bears won with Jim Mckmannon. You think that shit would happen now? You had teams winning superbowls running the football. The Giants won with Phil simms and Jeff hostetler.

Funny you bring up Marino.. If Marino played during this era he would set all records and have won a lot more. Miami was always looking for a running game.

The game has changed. Having a franchise running back in the 80's and early 90's meant a whole lot more than it does now.

Let me repeat this so you understand.. Franchise and ELITE QBS are the one who win superbowls.. Coaches are there for the ride and not to mess shit up..

Bill B is a good coach, not great.. Tony Dungy was a abomination . Should have won more with Manning but he was a horrible coach. Always resting his players and the end of the season and they always came out flat for the play offs.

The days of teams winning with a great D and shitty QB are gone for now. The Ravens and Dilfer would never win a SB now with the team they had then.

Clearly having a great QB isn't absolutely mandatory to win a SB. Mark Rypien won a Super Bowl. The Steelers first SB in 2005 was done without a great QB. BR was actually pretty bad then. But to be fair, in 2008 he had become a great QB, and was the main reason for their win that year.

Sure, all true....but also look at the QBs those guys lost too. Elway and Marino lost to Montana. Levy and Kelly lost to Aikman. Grant lost to Bradshaw and Stabler. Favre lost his to Elway.

(and to be fair to P. Manning....he was losing AFC title games to Brady)

When two great QBs matchup...that is always fun, but also one has to be a loser. That doesn't make him less great.

Again, true. As often or not it takes great defense. '85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 05 Steelers. Great defenses without great QBs.

Sometimes you get both. Obviously the dynasties...Browns 50s/Packers 60s/Steelers 70s/49ers 80s combined great QB play with great defense.

How often do you get great QB but poor defense. Rarely if ever. As you pointed out. Marino could never win because that team's defense wasn't good enough....yet the same team, the Dolphins, could win with a Bob Griese (who no one I think would claim was as good as Marino) because his Dolphins teams had a much better defense.

Not sure where this comes from. Winning is winning regardless of your point of view.

Well to respond to your first question "I am no fan of Belichick, on what basis can you state Belichick was going to be fired before Bledsoe was hurt?"

According to reports and from Mangini who was on the coaching staff. Bill B told his coaching staff that he thought he was going to get canned. This according to mangini. Where this is smoke there is fire..

Also you are bringing up a different Era in football. The league is now a passing league. The rules have changed, DB's were able to do a lot more back in the day. Franchise QB are more important than ever. In the 80's teams like the Bears won with Jim Mckmannon. You think that shit would happen now? You had teams winning superbowls running the football. The Giants won with Phil simms and Jeff hostetler.

Funny you bring up Marino.. If Marino played during this era he would set all records and have won a lot more. Miami was always looking for a running game.

The game has changed. Having a franchise running back in the 80's and early 90's meant a whole lot more than it does now.

Let me repeat this so you understand.. Franchise and ELITE QBS are the one who win superbowls.. Coaches are there for the ride and not to mess shit up..

Bill B is a good coach, not great.. Tony Dungy was a abomination . Should have won more with Manning but he was a horrible coach. Always resting his players and the end of the season and they always came out flat for the play offs.

The days of teams winning with a great D and shitty QB are gone for now. The Ravens and Dilfer would never win a SB now with the team they had then.

So, what you are contending is that the NFL game has actually changed drastically in just the last 5-7 years? By your account you would have to be saying that.

Three of the "greatest defenses/poorest QB" Super Bowl winners took place in the decades of the doublenaughts 00s: Ravens/Bucs/05 Steelers. You are saying that since 05 the great QB is required? Perhaps: P.Manning, E. Manning, the improved BR, Brees, Rodgers.

The question is: If your contention is assumed true (and there is evidence for that) why did this happen? Why the dramatic change in just a few short years?

Rule changes...philosophy changes? What?

So, what you are contending is that the NFL game has actually changed drastically in just the last 5-7 years? By your account you would have to be saying that.

Three of the "greatest defenses/poorest QB" Super Bowl winners took place in the decades of the doublenaughts 00s: Ravens/Bucs/05 Steelers. You are saying that since 05 the great QB is required? Perhaps: P.Manning, E. Manning, the improved BR, Brees, Rodgers.

The question is: If your contention is assumed true (and there is evidence for that) why did this happen? Why the dramatic change in just a few short years?

Rule changes...philosophy changes? What?

Yes it has changed over the last 5-7 years drastically. Look at the stats.. There are many articles regarding this but here is just one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a44e69/article/passing-league-explaining-the-nfls-aerial-evolution

Passing league: Explaining the NFL's aerial evolution

By Steve Wyche

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

Published: July 5, 2012 at 10:38 a.m.

Updated: July 5, 2012 at 10:35 p.m.

7 Likes | 16 Comments

Email

Print

Read

Discuss

Associated Press

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (left) and Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson represent a new era in the NFL.

The NFL is a passing league. The stats prove it. The money paid to quarterbacks, receivers, pass rushers and cornerbacks prove it.

What has led to the change in the overall philosophy of a game that used to be based on running backs and the middle linebackers who tackled them? The reasons are many, and they are fascinating. They also go far beyond rule changes in recent years that protect quarterbacks and wide receivers.

In conversations with coordinators on both sides of the ball, several reasons were provided as to why the passing game has exploded. One element resoundingly mentioned by players and analysts -- the heightened enforcement of penalties for hitting defenseless receivers in the middle of the field -- was mentioned but minimized by offensive and defensive coordinators alike.

Quarterbacks

Over the past few seasons, quarterbacks have come into the NFL with a much better understanding of the passing game. This was a universal opinion. Though finding the right quarterback isn't easy and NFL-caliber execution isn't guaranteed, those coming out of college are better versed -- and in greater numbers -- on the intricacies of the passing game.

The coordinators said with so many high schools and college teams using spread offenses, the concepts of how to read the field and defensive-player placement before the snap have increased quarterbacks' awareness. Not long ago, quarterbacks were reading defensive ends and tackles to decide whether to hand the ball off to a running back or keep it and run.

Now they're reading safeties and linebackers to exploit the part of the field the defense leaves open in the passing game.

One offensive coordinator added that the growth and increased level of competition in 7-on-7 passing leagues for high schoolers has enhanced the awareness of passing-game concepts for quarterbacks and receivers, as well.

New Orleans' Jimmy Graham is part of the new wave of athletic, dynamic tight ends. (Tom Hauck/Associated Press)

The NFL is adapting to the skills and knowledge of the talent entering its league, instead of forcing players into an old standard.

Personnel

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said the talent and size of receivers have allowed offenses to dictate matchups. For the foreseeable future, the offense has the advantage.

"The athletes on that side of the ball, you're seeing bigger guys, faster guys," Zimmer said. "The talent level of the receivers has really increased. You don't see fullbacks or blocking tight ends anymore. Teams put three receivers on the field, use shotgun on first and second downs, and with that third receiver, they find the better matchups."

Flex tight ends such as Jermichael Finley, Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski and even veteran Antonio Gates have advantages over slower safeties, smaller nickel backs or linebackers who also have to key against the run in play action.

Compounding things, when defenses find somewhat of a proper fit against those players, teams like the New Orleans Saints counter with a smaller scatback like Darren Sproles (or Baltimore's Ray Rice or Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew) to exploit other matchups.

Schemes

Brooks: Kolb vs. Skelton: Who'll win?

Kevin Kolb or John Skelton? Bucky Brooks studies both Arizona quarterbacks and reveals who he'd pick to start in 2012. More ...

More teams are using shotgun sets, especially on earlier downs, to combat hyper-athletic pass rushers. The ability of great pass rushers to win battles against highly paid offensive tackles and force offenses to use an extra blocker triggered a lot of what we're seeing in the passing game, multiple coordinators said.

By using the shotgun formation, quarterbacks can survey the field before the snap, figure out the matchup advantage, take the snap and get rid of the ball quickly. By not having to take a five- or seven-stop drop from under center and get rid of the ball quickly, quarterbacks can reduce high-risk plays as well as pass pressure. That helps accuracy and gets the ball in the hands of playmakers.

"We've done things to give us as coaches and the players more choices," Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said.

Mentality

Coaches have changed more than players. Play calling has become more aggressive in the passing game on first and second down and early in games. Taking a lead and forcing the opponent to play catch-up is even more the thinking in today's game, one coordinator said. Just a few years ago some of the strategy was to play things close and let the defense put the team in position to pull the game out late.

Now, offensive coaches and play callers are more willing to take risks because of schematic and personnel advantages.

"More coordinators and play callers, once they feel comfortable in what they have, are willing to cut it loose," one coordinator said.

This puts pressure on defensive coaches to try and play to their strengths, whether it is using nickel or sub packages as the primary defense or hoping players are athletic and disciplined enough in the base sets to handle what offenses are calling.

Rules

The no-contact rule on receivers beyond five yards from the line of scrimmage has been around for years. What's changed has been the enforcement of contact against receivers running across the middle of the field, whether they have the ball or not.

In years past, treading between the numbers was a danger zone for receivers, who expected to be re-routed if they tried to run a crossing pattern or to take a potentially concussive hit once they caught the ball. With officials being more cognizant of penalizing helmet-to-helmet hits, players have backed off, making the middle of the field a far safer place to play.

Jeremiah: A championship quality

What is the common theme among recent Super Bowl champs? Daniel Jeremiah says it's a dominant pass rush. More ...

For proof, look at the New England Patriots. Wes Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez work the middle of the field like an Etch A Sketch. They exploit matchups, talent and rules arguably better than any team in the league -- especially with a pinpoint passer in Tom Brady.

Former Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos safety Brian Dawkins recently said that one of the reasons why he retired is that players are now in a gray area, meaning there are times a player has to think or pause instead of react. He said he found himself pulling up on bang-bang plays instead of leveling offensive players like he did much of his career.

That reluctance to intimidate has made offenses far more brazen and quarterbacks far more comfortable throwing the ball. Passing the ball to the middle of the field is much easier than trying to stick a 15-yard out pattern on the sideline. With athletes like Graham and Gronkowski and smarter quarterbacks who can decipher defensive weakness, throwing the ball is simply easier.

Archived