THE BROWNS BOARD

Linebacker! We Don't Need A De

Comeonman

I know it's too soon to start another draft thread, but I just got into a debate with another browns fan who said we need to draft a defensive end.

The way I see it, we have Rucker for four more years and sheard on the strong side. Why draft a DE when we are clearly lacking OLB and DB. Jordan and Mingo are great, star Lotulleile or however you say his name is great too. But that's not where I see the need.

The debate raged on when he said it is likely that Teo or Jones will be gone, if not both when we pick ( we may not pick in the top six). I say if that is the case we STILL don't go with DE because the DB position should be filled in that case. The boards opinion?

Parker is 35. Rucker is 29 and a rotational guy.

If we were to solidify our DL with an elite pass rushing DE we would have a top front in the NFL. Who doesn't want that?

I'd love a linebacker as well, but you can't go wrong with taking the BPA pass rusher.

If we fall in the draft too much, I say we draft Eric Reid, FS from LSU.

It's not that it's all about BPA.

I want a pass rusher regardless of his position. I would love to have a front line like the Giants though.

BPA for sure at this point. Id love if that was at DB or LB but honestly BPA on defense is what Im hoping for. Id love some hard hitters/playmaking (preferably both) D players at any position really, a good D coordinator will be creative enough to get the best players on the field

We need a DE, a LB and a corner, all three spots need to be addressed. However, and top flight DE and we could wreak havoc with the guys we already have on the line and would help cover up any weaknesses at the other positions. Basically I would like us to take the BPA that is either a DE, LB or corner. We do that and I will be happy. My preference would be for a DE though.

in my mind the line is pretty set. when taylor and rubin are healthy we can stop the run. sheard who is our biggest pass rusher now, is a beast and frosty's name has been called quite a few times.

jarvis jones is the guy i'm looking at right now. fujita's career is in question. gocong is iffy. jmj and fort are up and comers but there is no dominate BEAST in our LB corp. DQ is the best we got and there's always a question about his health (if he can play 16 games).

I know it's too soon to start another draft thread, but I just got into a debate with another browns fan who said we need to draft a defensive end.

The way I see it, we have Rucker for four more years and sheard on the strong side. Why draft a DE when we are clearly lacking OLB and DB. Jordan and Mingo are great, star Lotulleile or however you say his name is great too. But that's not where I see the need.

The debate raged on when he said it is likely that Teo or Jones will be gone, if not both when we pick ( we may not pick in the top six). I say if that is the case we STILL don't go with DE because the DB position should be filled in that case. The boards opinion?

I think it will be a matter of who is available. I think the Browns will win some games the rest of the year thus dropping them down some draft slots thus dropping them out of the Jarvis Jones/Teo sweepstakes. Right now those guys seem like Top 5 talent.

If those two are not in the picture for the Browns there may be the likes of Barkevious Mingo or Sam Montgomery, both of LSU in the picture for them. Or perhaps the DB from Alabama, Milliner. That would be alright. At DE if they did go there they could go Moore of Texas A&M or Werner of FSU, both of whom are ranked in the top 10 overall prospects.

There is this OG Chance Warmack of Alabama who is also a Top 10 prospect, but, to me, Top 10 for an OG seems a little high....given that I think we could live with Lauvao etc. for now.

I think it will be a matter of who is available. I think the Browns will win some games the rest of the year thus dropping them down some draft slots thus dropping them out of the Jarvis Jones/Teo sweepstakes. Right now those guys seem like Top 5 talent.

That's what I'm thinking, we will pick behind KC CAR OAK JAC PHI and maybe a couple others. I guess we will go BPA ( defense that is or I will go nuts ) cause we won't trade up for anyone in this class

Team needs are:

DE/OLB (Pass rushing guy like Aldon Smith, not available in this draft, but we can try)

We don't know if there is not a guy like that available in this draft. Jones/Werner/Moore/Mingo are all DEs that are Top 15 prospects

CB

Milliner of Alabama Top 10

Jonathan Banks Mississippi St. Top 20

FS

Eric Reid LSU, Top 25

LG

Warmack of Alabama, Top 10 prospect

Jonathan Cooper, NC, Top 15

TE

Tyler Eifert of ND and Zach Ertz of Stanford...second round

FB

No one here higher than perhaps a 4th rounder.

If we were in the 8-12 range I'd take Reid.

Mingo isn't producing on the field this year, I was high on him coming into the year as well. If we land Jones I'll be ecstatic.

I wouldn't take a FB any earlier and Eifert is a guy I'd like. We gotta have a good draft, we gotta find some starters in the 3rd/4th that can produce.

If we were in the 8-12 range I'd take Reid.

Mingo isn't producing on the field this year, I was high on him coming into the year as well. If we land Jones I'll be ecstatic.

I wouldn't take a FB any earlier and Eifert is a guy I'd like. We gotta have a good draft, we gotta find some starters in the 3rd/4th that can produce.

With no 2d round pick the Browns would need to find a starter in Round 1 and Round 3. I don't think that a 4th rounder should be expected to have more than a 1/3rd chance of being a quality starter. In fact, less face it, the Browns history of drafting in the 4th round is awful. Since 1959 these have been the Browns 4th round picks: (they have not had a 4th rounder every year):

Travis Benjamin

James Michael Johnson

Jordan Cameron

Owen Marecic

Kaluka Maiava

Beau Bell

Martion Rucker

Leon Williams

Isaac Sowells

Antonio Perkins

Luke McCown

Lee Suggs

Kevin Bentley

Ben Taylor

Anthony Henry

Lewis Sanders

Aaron Shea

Wali Rainer

Other than the last two years (for which it is too early to tell) only Anthony Henry and Aaron Shea seem like starter material (on bad teams). Maiava is a starter only by default.

In fact, their third round picks historically have been not much better if at all. Here are their third rounders since 1999:

John "The Sausage King" Hughes

Colt McCoy

Shaun Lauvao

Travis Wilson

Charlie Frye

Chris Crocker

Melvin Fowler

James Jackson

Travis Prentice

JaJuan Dawson

Daylon McCutcheon

Marquis Smith

Only McCutcheon was a lengthy starter. Lauvao is a guy a lot want replaced. Chric Crocker was pretty good but he moved on at the first opportunity.

If those two are not in the picture for the Browns there may be the likes of Barkevious Mingo or Sam Montgomery, both of LSU in the picture for them. Or perhaps the DB from Alabama, Milliner. That would be alright. At DE if they did go there they could go Moore of Texas A&M or Werner of FSU, both of whom are ranked in the top 10 overall prospects.

There is this OG Chance Warmack of Alabama who is also a Top 10 prospect, but, to me, Top 10 for an OG seems a little high....given that I think we could live with Lauvao etc. for now.

The whole, don't take this position here, argument is basically void now with the new rookie pay scale (except for kickers, punters, and FB). It used to be no one wanted to pay a certain position so much money so they wouldn't draft them till later. That's why MLB and G/C would fall to the later half of the first round. Now that they don't make so much money right off the bat it's possible to pick they positions up around 5th overall.

The whole, don't take this position here, argument is basically void now with the new rookie pay scale (except for kickers, punters, and FB). It used to be no one wanted to pay a certain position so much money so they wouldn't draft them till later. That's why MLB and G/C would fall to the later half of the first round. Now that they don't make so much money right off the bat it's possible to pick they positions up around 5th overall.

I don't think that the Browns are quite at the point where they can just go take the Best Player Available. Those needs at OLB/DE/CB/FS are too great. Maybe they can afford to go with BPA within the parameters of those several needs, as I don't think they should take say, an offensive tackle, simply because one of those may be the best on the board.

Someone in that triumviate of need will likely be available, and likely be, according to the experts a so called value pick. (but, of course we know that 1st round busts do come witha high percentage figure).

WarMack is an Awesome name! Wedged in between Mack and Schwartz... our Line would be BEAST!

I also think LB would be nice. Certainly would prefer to go Defense in round 1. CB or LB, possibly FS if the right guy is there.

On offense... solidify the line, maybe add a FB? Not too many Needs left to fill on this team from my POV. Maybe with our Draft picks and an aggressive FA we could contend for a Title next year... that's IF we don't sneak into the show via a wildcard with an 8-8 finish...

WarMack is an Awesome name! Wedged in between Mack and Schwartz... our Line would be BEAST!

I also think LB would be nice. Certainly would prefer to go Defense in round 1. CB or LB, possibly FS if the right guy is there.

On offense... solidify the line, maybe add a FB? Not too many Needs left to fill on this team from my POV. Maybe with our Draft picks and an aggressive FA we could contend for a Title next year... that's IF we don't sneak into the show via a wildcard with an 8-8 finish...

i think we should look at addressing depth at the RB position. maybe we could trade a couple of picks and get the best available?

i mean TR sure hasn't produced like we all thought he would.

maybe the RB from wisconsin?

Why not try for a premiere left tackle

c,mon man....i'm waiting for him to take the bait!

(you're new here so all i have to do is say poeticG is TR's biggest fan. without doubt. no ?'s asked. to say he isn't performing is like throwin out the chowda to see who's taking the bait and waiting for the boat to get rammed.)

Haha! :lol:

Oh it's a battle everyday when I go to work. My partner has Doug Martin and I've got Trent in our dept's fantasy league. He's rubbing it in daily on how far ahead Martin is on Richardson. It's alright though, T-Dog has played 5 games vs the AFCN and is just hitting the easy part of the season. Plus, he's been battling injuries since last season's National Championship. Watch Trent Go! Tomorrow. 185 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's on the ground and add another 74 yards and a score through the air. He's about to go STUPID :wacko:

Haha! :lol:

Oh it's a battle everyday when I go to work. My partner has Doug Martin and I've got Trent in our dept's fantasy league. He's rubbing it in daily on how far ahead Martin is on Richardson. It's alright though, T-Dog has played 5 games vs the AFCN and is just hitting the easy part of the season. Plus, he's been battling injuries since last season's National Championship. Watch Trent Go! Tomorrow. 185 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's on the ground and add another 74 yards and a score through the air. He's about to go STUPID :wacko:

just lettin everyone know that we can poke fun at each other...but when it comes down to it...we're all BROWNS fans.

poG: i predicted in another post that i think TR will be pushing close to 200 yds. tomorrow with weeden looking like RG3...

a couple of thoughts... man come on KENT Fing STATE! they had it in their hands. and georgia. oh hoo georgia? my friend is measuring the distance from his overhead beam along with the chair distance drop. best friend. root for his team...turn my phone off.

nah. just kiddin. he's a 'touched' sec fan from a girlfriend long ago. but to hear "joe ja" for an hour and a half is pretty tough watching the real championship game: BIG TEN/12/14/16.

we might have a shot.

I think... maybe the Browns should pick up a big, buttkicking DT after all, about round 3 or 4, ....

and move Billy Wynn to DE......

To me,it would be lb in the first round...

few desperate needs for the Browns now. That should make it

an exciting draft.

Pass Rush, OL, WR

I think the DBs are solid if the QB is pressured.

The Browns have been missing Dmitri Patterson. Do you think if he is healthy that he is the answer to their CB issue?

He wasn't all that good when Haden was out.

No, I still think we are in need of a killer #2 cover corner...or a FS.

Archived