THE BROWNS BOARD

Richardson's Big Play Potential

Nw220

Im a big fan of Richardson but my biggest concern that i had with him coming outta College was his Elite Speed and breakaway ability at the next level,Right now His longest run in any game this year is 32 yards and second longest is 26..After that he dosent have another game where he has broken a 20 yard run.

I hope that he shows he has that ability to get into that next gear but im not seeing it so far,i know he's been injured and not 100 percent but its still a concern i had with him coming into this league and as of now it still concerns me...

Thoughts???

Im a big fan of Richardson but my biggest concern that i had with him coming outta College was his Elite Speed and breakaway ability at the next level,Right now His longest run in any game this year is 32 yards and second longest is 26..After that he dosent have another game where he has broken a 20 yard run.

I hope that he shows he has that ability to get into that next gear but im not seeing it so far,i know he's been injured and not 100 percent but its still a concern i had with him coming into this league and as of now it still concerns me...

Thoughts???

He didn't look good today. I think he had 42 yards. He has a tendency to shuffle when hitting the line. Hardesty looked better today.

He didn't look good today. I think he had 42 yards. He has a tendency to shuffle when hitting the line. Hardesty looked better today.

Excatly and this is what i am talking about, when your a Top 5 pick you should be an Adrian Peterson type back which some people had T Rich rated higher than AP as a prospect coming out...Now im a Browns homer and ill defend Richardson till he isnt a Brown but im hoping after this year he gets into the NFL Offseason gets to hit the Weight and Strength Conditioning program and loses a few pounds and gains that extra step, in this league you need it....

we are all good.

he might not have been in 'beast' mode today (as his girlfriend PoG likes to say, but) they were stacking the box today not respecting weeden's arm. i'm sure their total focus was on stopping the run, and they paid for it. although it didn't gloss TR's #'s i'm sure he'd even tell you that the win is most important.

a complete running game isn't so without the change-up back. if hardesty rushes for 2,000 yards a year as a change of pace guy.....gotta love it!

nothing bad going on in that regard in cleveland.

I am not worried.

He isn't a "Big" play guy.

Think Steven Jackson and not Adrian Petersen. Trent, like Jackson is going to need his 25 carries to show the numbers and receive the love and appreciation.

It doesn't look like is going to be a HOF back YET. But that's ok, I can handle a slightly above average running game after what we've had the past few seasons. It looks as if that's the way are team is headed, a lot of above average players. When you get enough of em, your team starts to play above average, and you start having winning seasons

My thoughts, does Trent leave yards on the field at times, yes, but there are plenty of times when guys are in the backfield and unless your Barry Sanders thats almost always leads to a negative play. So yes he can improve and I have confidence he can and will. I also think we could get better guard play too. But there are things Trent can do to improve and when they stack the box we need to make them pay, looks like we have the WRs now to do that.

My thoughts, does Trent leave yards on the field at times, yes, but there are plenty of times when guys are in the backfield and unless your Barry Sanders thats almost always leads to a negative play. So yes he can improve and I have confidence he can and will. I also think we could get better guard play too. But there are things Trent can do to improve and when they stack the box we need to make them pay, looks like we have the WRs now to do that.

the stooler fans should read this.

worry about them old ass tired fucks in shittsburgh. tomlin=most overrated coach ever. hell i coulda taken that team to the superbowl.

give him a banana and tell him to keep his fingers out of his friend's ears.

the stooler fans should read this.

worry about them old ass tired fucks in shittsburgh. tomlin=most overrated coach ever. hell i coulda taken that team to the superbowl.

give him a banana and tell him to keep his fingers out of his friend's ears.

This is so amusing it's almost "toxic".

I think as our offense gets more balanced and our passing game is consistent Richardson will have plenty of big plays.

He isn't AP, he's not gonna be AP. I think AP is one of the best running backs of all time, and I'm fine with Richardson just being one of the best in the league which I'm very confident he will be. We all know he is a capable running back.

I think there are a few reasons why Trent isn't mesmerizing just yet as a running back.

Part of it involves the play calling. All they do is run him between the tackles. This wouldn't be terrible if we had guards that were worth a damn. We have a very good line, but only three pieces (LT, C, and RT) are playing lights out. To run up the middle the guards and center have to make bigger players.

Another part of it is that our passing game isn't respected yet. Yea, we have some big passing plays and our guys are getting better, but teams are still stacking the box. Trent doesn't have elite Jamaal Charles speed. He's more of a guy that will break tackles and, if he's in the open field, he can play like a speedster and make you miss. Stacking the box isn't helping him.

He's been playing with the rib injury. Obviously it isn't that big of a deal because he is playing, but I think it does affect how he's playing a little bit. At least at the moment it is.

He dances a lot. I think this will get better next year when he's had a year under his belt. Right now's hes holding back hoping for an opening. If he hits the hole,then I think he has more productive games.

All of this being said, he's still had a productive year. He'll get over 1,000 yards and he's got 9 TDs, which is pretty damn good for a rookie. Hillis had 1,177 yards and 11 TDs in his one year in Cleveland. Richardson will probably come close to that this year. Regardless of how he plays the rest of the season and how he's played this season, I think we can all agree that guy will probably end up being pretty damn good.

But he has had some elite TD runs. One, for fifteen yards.

There's two problems -

1. Running Richardson into the line on first down again and again and again and...

stop it, Shurmur.

2. Weeden's inconsistency. Their best bet is to sell out to stop the run until

Weeden proves (and the wr's, but they have been catching the ball and kicking ass !).

3. Wet field, I didn't see Charles going for good yards, except for the first play of the game.

He got beat up most of the time after that.

No worries. They are keying on Richardson, what else is there to expect?

Has he had a big homerun play yet no, he did have two great play in the Cincy game, but that SOB will take a 1 yard gain to a 5 yard gain bye moving the pile....

exactly. He doesn't have the speed of AP, Martin, or Wilson but he's still pretty agile and stronger than all of them. I still don't get it when people compare him to AP just because they were both drafted high. AP is a once in a generation type of player. I'm not saying TR won't be, but let's be happy with a decent running game for once.

So knowing what you know now would you still take Richardson at 3 where we did, or would you take Martin in the late 1st,Wilson in the late 1st or Alfred Morris anywhere at all because i believe the Redskins got him in the 6th round and he could be the steal of the whole draft...

These are the other Rookie Running backs this year and they all are looking pretty well...You could argue that 2 of them look better than T-Rich

Alfred Morris Car-253 YDS-1,228 TDs-7 Avg-4.9

Doug Martin Car-264 YDS-1,234 TDs-10 Avg-4.7

Trent Richardson Car-247 YDS-869 TDs-9 Avg-3.5

Doug Wilson Car-41 YDs-211 TDs-3 Avg-5.1

Why cant/dont we do this then if it is so successful?

It would take a couple seasons to fully implement it with the line. Look at Oakland this season, Dennis Allen switched from a power scheme to a zone scheme and DMC is averaging 2 YPC.

Richardson is a better fit for the power scheme. Zone is more geared toward one cut runners.

Also, outside of Thomas and maybe Mack, I don't see our linemen being a good fit for the zone scheme. Zone schemes tend to favor smaller, more agile linemen (don't tell that to Phil Loadholt).

I love zone blocking, but it doesn't fit with our personnel.

I am not worried.

He isn't a "Big" play guy.

Think Steven Jackson and not Adrian Petersen. Trent, like Jackson is going to need his 25 carries to show the numbers and receive the love and appreciation.

Adrian Peterson isn't a big play guy? Do you watch much football? :blink: (Peterson does have the breakaway speed FYI, in a major way)

Why cant/dont we do this then if it is so successful?

Because it's not successful with every team or every tailback. Darren McFadden is a prime example of how Zone blocking doesn't work for everyone.

Adrian Peterson isn't a big play guy? Do you watch much football? :blink: (Peterson does have the breakaway speed FYI, in a major way)

He is saying to think of Trent more as a Steven Jackson type player, not an AP... He never said that AP wasn't a big play guy, but said that Jackson was not a big play guy

Archived