THE BROWNS BOARD

Lombardi-Saban Rumor Heating Up...

jbluhm86

nick-saban.jpgNick Saban holding the BCS trophy. DOes he look happy?

I really dont want this carpet baggin Mother fucker here...

Next year I fully would expect whomever the coach is here, Shurmur, Saban, McDaniels, Peewee Herman, Tooney Lucas, Humbo Nooney to have the Browns in playoff contention.

Also, the Browns beat the steelers. Are you saying the Steelers are not playoff contenders? If the playoffs started today they would be in. And the Browns beat the Bengals. Are you saying they are not playoff contenders? They certainly are.

The Browns lost close games to the Ravens, and the Cowboys, and the Bengals and others.

With another year under their belts the bushel basket of first and second year players on this team should all be better next year.....and the Browns could very well be augmented with some decent draft picks...and maybe even a couple of free agents.

No....next year the Browns WILL be considered contenders. If they flop...then they will be flops.

Right here, right now I believe that all 4 teams in the AFCN are operating at parity. The Browns young team had a learning curve the first half of the season, but today they can play with the Ravens/Bengals/Steelers without much doubt.

I admire your optimism. Many people thought the same thing about the Lions this year too. They shit the bed.

I just have a different outlook. And yes the Steeler team we beat wasn't a playoff caliber team. Playoff caliber teams generally don't give the ball up 8 times and lose by less than 10.

No, I disagree. Saban, I believe, at heart is an NFL coach.

Why should he leave college football? Because he is bored there...and if he stays...as I have said before, he should just announce his retirement.

Is he really bored there? He's the king of college football, and as they say it's good to be the king. First, if Saban wanted to give the NFL another try (where he wasn't exactly the stuff of legend) why would he come north? Saban strikes me as a warm weather guy who abhors cold weather. November and December in Cleveland don't really allow him to work on his golf game.

Second, do you really think Saban wants a rebuilding project? (You suppose he is considering retirement, the last thing you want to do at the end of your career is "rebuild." You want to give it a go with a team primed a championship so you can go out on top). If you had Saban's college record and were looking to get into the NFL what team would you go to? I would choose Atlanta (as you know that coaching job will be vacant when they fail to win a play-off game again this year), especially if I'm looking for an established team that needs that extra little bit to be a SB contender/champion. Alternately, the Chargers have to look attractive to him for similar reasons. If Saban wants money/media attention, the Dallas job is going to be open (but not much chance of success with Jones making personnel decisions). Cleveland probably won't outspend Dallas.

Is he really bored there? He's the king of college football, and as they say it's good to be the king. First, if Saban wanted to give the NFL another try (where he wasn't exactly the stuff of legend) why would he come north? Saban strikes me as a warm weather guy who abhors cold weather. November and December in Cleveland don't really allow him to work on his golf game.

Second, do you really think Saban wants a rebuilding project? (You suppose he is considering retirement, the last thing you want to do at the end of your career is "rebuild." You want to give it a go with a team primed a championship so you can go out on top). If you had Saban's college record and were looking to get into the NFL what team would you go to? I would choose Atlanta (as you know that coaching job will be vacant when they fail to win a play-off game again this year), especially if I'm looking for an established team that needs that extra little bit to be a SB contender/champion. Alternately, the Chargers have to look attractive to him for similar reasons. If Saban wants money/media attention, the Dallas job is going to be open (but not much chance of success with Jones making personnel decisions). Cleveland probably won't outspend Dallas.

Chargers need to rebuild less than Cleveland? Comes as a surprise to me and the NFL power rankings where they're well below us. Just because they beat the steelers doesn't make them good again.

Actually last year (and so far this year) he would be able to work on his golf game. Been kind of a North Carolina winter so far.

Chargers need to rebuild less than Cleveland? Comes as a surprise to me and the NFL power rankings where they're well below us.

The power rankings are popularity polls. Phillip Rivers is fawned over by coaches and media alike...and has put up some numbers. Weeden has yet to really impress statistically. So if you are coach looking at Weeden and Rivers who do you think is more likely to get you to the big game. (I know you are a Cleveland fan and you want to believe Weeden will be the best QB in the history of the league, but you can't look at it from a fan's perspective). QB is the most important position and to have a winner you need a good one.

Then you have to look at personnel and systems in place. While the Browns and Chargers currently share the same records and the Browns are trending more favorably in popularity polls, the perception is that the Browns are rebuilding and the Chargers are underachieving. A coach looking to win would prefer an underachiever to a rebuilder. The Chargers problems may be bigger than many care to acknowlege, but the perception is still that they are not that far from a contender and Cleveland has a ways to go.

Saban went to Kent State...and coached in Cleveland for several years. And Michigan St. He can handle the weather

Again....if he wants to retire and play golf, sure he should not come here. If he wants to be a football coach THIS would be a prime opportunity.

And, FYI, he is only a Baron if he stays in college....if he wants to truly be king....the NFL is where he needs to go.

Second, do you really think Saban wants a rebuilding project? (You suppose he is considering retirement, the last thing you want to do at the end of your career is "rebuild." You want to give it a go with a team primed a championship so you can go out on top).

And that is exactly what he has here. The "rebuilding" is more or less done. Some tinkering needed, yes. But this team could be considered loaded with good young talent which in a year or two could in fact be "prime" to contend for a championship. Some of that talent of his own creation: TR, Smelley etc.

If you had Saban's college record and were looking to get into the NFL what team would you go to? I would choose Atlanta (as you know that coaching job will be vacant when they fail to win a play-off game again this year), especially if I'm looking for an established team that needs that extra little bit to be a SB contender/champion.

Maybe....but the Atlanta job isn't going to be open. Mike Smith is coach there and will be coach there. Shurmur may be out the door.

Alternately, the Chargers have to look attractive to him for similar reasons. If Saban wants money/media attention, the Dallas job is going to be open (but not much chance of success with Jones making personnel decisions). Cleveland probably won't outspend Dallas.

Well, the Chargers may have nice weather....but he would have to get along with the owner there....difficult task.

And I don't think their young talent matches the Browns.

And yea, the Jerry Jones factor wouldn't be appealing to Saban because I think he is a bit of a control freak...and he wouldn't have it there. As for "outspending"....A. Jimmy Haslam is far wealthier than Jerry Jones and B. there is a salary cap. Spending is the same for everyone. This ain't baseball.

Do you have an NCAA trophy stuck up your ass? Cleveland is the most storied town in all of pro football. WHy would he leave Alabama? Same reason we would drop your wife in a NY pork minute to go chase Jennifer Anniston.

BIG UPGRADE

Cleveland 'storied history has absolutely no bearing on Nick Saban or any other coach that the Browns will hire in the future (though many may pay lip service to it). Coaches and football players have two motivations in life, generally in this order (occasionally it is reversed).

1. Money

2. Personal Glory

Fans care about team history/pride and most owners probably couldn't give a damn about it unless it increases their bottom line.

Jennifer Anniston's getting up their in years maybe you should pick someone a little younger for your analogy. Personally, I would've chosen Chistina Hendricks or Barbara Meier. Then again the Browns championships haven't aged so well, so maybe Anniston is a good choice.

The power rankings are popularity polls. Phillip Rivers is fawned over by coaches and media alike...and has put up some numbers. Weeden has yet to really impress statistically. So if you are coach looking at Weeden and Rivers who do you think is more likely to get you to the big game. (I know you are a Cleveland fan and you want to believe Weeden will be the best QB in the history of the league, but you can't look at it from a fan's perspective). QB is the most important position and to have a winner you need a good one.

Well, I think the jury is still way out on Weeden. He is a rookie for Chrissakes. Rivers has a track record, sure....but it is a sketchy one. You might take the proven vet over the rookie....but that doesn't mean that a year from now that vet may be better. A guy like Saban would certainly do his own analysis to determine where the future of the QB lies. And we have no clue how he might decide.

Then you have to look at personnel and systems in place.

Sure...and Saban (or whoever) would do that...and I suggest that if he went position by position he would conclude that the Browns have better...younger talent at a sizeable majority of positions.

And remember....the damn Chargers .....may not even be "in place". They may be talking about a move to LA. Not sure if that would matter to Saban, but it is not what I would call a stable situation.

While the Browns and Chargers currently share the same records and the Browns are trending more favorably in popularity polls, the perception is that the Browns are rebuilding and the Chargers are underachieving. A coach looking to win would prefer an underachiever to a rebuilder.

I am not so sure about that. It depends on where he sees what stage the team rebuilding is in. Two years ago the Browns were definitely at ground level....now they may be on a fast elevator toward the penthouse. And the Chargers may still be stuck between floors.

The Chargers problems may be bigger than many care to acknowlege, but the perception is still that they are not that far from a contender and Cleveland has a ways to go.

Well, reality must trump perception. I think the reality is that right now the Browns have a higher upside based on potential than the Chargers.

A new good coach would theoretically remove the Chargers from that "underachiever" perception. Or, maybe not. Maybe they really aren't that good.

A more knowledgeable expert at evaluating this sort of thing would have to say which situation is better....but for a guy like Saban having such a young team as the Browns which can be molded to his ways I think would be more attractive than a much more veteran team.

Cleveland 'storied history has absolutely no bearing on Nick Saban or any other coach that the Browns will hire in the future (though many may pay lip service to it). Coaches and football players have two motivations in life, generally in this order (occasionally it is reversed).

1. Money

2. Personal Glory

And what makes you think he couldn't get either here? If he were to come he could certainly be well satisfied with his compensation package...of that I have no doubt. As for the personal glory...it goes back to everything I said in other posts. He can take a young, talented team ready to take the next big step if the leadership and coaching are there to postseason glory. I have no doubt that if he has confidence in himself that he could look at this team and say to himself "I can do it here".

Fans care about team history/pride and most owners probably couldn't give a damn about it unless it increases their bottom line.

Winning will increase the bottom line. I am not sure of the relevency of this comment.

Jennifer Anniston's getting up their in years maybe you should pick someone a little younger for your analogy. Personally, I would've chosen Chistina Hendricks or Barbara Meier. Then again the Browns championships haven't aged so well, so maybe Anniston is a good choice.

I have always thought you a bright guy, but this is the dumbest comment I have heard you make. I think quite the opposite is true....those 13 titles have indeed aged well....maybe partly because they are so old.

again, not sure where your thinking is there.

but the perception is still that they are not that far from a contender and Cleveland has a ways to go.

That is YOUR perception, not THE perception.

We started the season with the youngest team in the NFL. Three rookies and a 2nd-year player starting in the "skill" positions, our best defender suspended, both of our starting linebackers out and our best defensive young lineman out until midseason. That led to an 0-5 start.

Had the season started then, we would be 5-3 (with three close losses)and contending.

Everyone in the NFL is noticing. San Diego, meanwhile, is looking like they are getting a reboot, which will put them behind us. (Actually we already beat them this year).

Are you defending San Diego now after you laughed when I said they would beat you last week?

Zombo

Archived