THE BROWNS BOARD

Whelp... Shurms Is Gone

Smotage

They drafted a first-round QB and two second-round WRs.

How much more of a crutch are you going to keep giving TR? Does Adrian Peterson need fucking QBs or WRs to run the fucking football like a pro?

EARTH TO DUMB ASS --> When you pick a RB No. 3 overall you should not have to put him into the picture perfect offense for him to succeed. He is supposed to IMPACT the offense to help improve it. Not the other way around.

To say Richardson isn't AD isn't an insult but he isn't and 31 other teams don't have him either.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually an 8-8 team we would all be happy for one year...

Untrue.

This time last year you could have said "a stable runningback position and we would all be happy for one year..." and here they are, still bitching.

There's a difference between aspiring to be the best and being an impossible-to-please corral of Marys

This time last year you could have said "a stable runningback position and we would all be happy for one year..." and here they are, still bitching.

There's a difference between aspiring to be the best and being an impossible-to-please corral of Marys

Not impossible to please- just calling 'em as we see 'em. I give Richardson a passing grade this year, with room for serious improvement.

Petterson gets 25+ carries a game. Trent gets 11.............WE NEED A NEW COACH

I won't disagree with you that we need a new coach- but hell's bells, to this point Richardson has looked pretty ordinary for a #3 overall RB.

In this case stats don't lie. I'll be precise, and this is straight from NFL.com Peterson averages 20.6 caries per game, Richardson 18.4 . OTOH, Peterson is averaging an unreal 6.3 YPC. Richardson? 3.5, which puts him DEAD LAST in YPC among the top 25 in total yardage. Incidentally our Super Stud is also tied for DEAD LAST in runs of 20+ yards (2) Can we say no breakaway gear? (Peterson 20 for comparison)

If you want to blame his (relative) lack of production on Shur-loss, hate to tell you Hardesty is averaging almost 1 ypc better - in the same stinking offense. I'd think if Richardson wasn't such a high pick and getting force fed the ball, he'd already have been benched in favor of Montario.

Richardson HAS to learn how to stop dancing- this isn't college ball. Every dance step lets a defender (that's as fast as he is) close in on him. And we've seen Trent is NOT another John Riggins\ Larry Csonka type that can just run guys over at will.

Let me start this off right, I can't stand Pat Shurmur the media personality, the guy really comes off as condescending, or Pat Shurmur the playcaller, too conservative, especially when he has a weapon like Weeden/Gordon/Benjamin (I don't think they have established that deep threat enough. Do not take this as an endorsement for keeping Shurmur. I am on the "show him the door" bandwagon. Have been since the 0-5 start, haven't looked back.

BUT... here is the other side of the coin

More than one player has come out and said that they should keep Shurmur on as HC, most recently Sheldon Brown gave him the thumbs up, saying something about how the system is already in place and this offseason they would have a jumpstart and it would be more about tweaking things than implementing a new system.

My thought here is, would it be too much of a step back to go back to the drawing board with a new coaching staff and scheme (offense AND defense). We all have to admit that there has been some development and the on field product has vastly improved (even though the wins aren't quite there yet). This team is at least fun to watch.

Would it hurt more to keep this guy on another year i.e. mangini or kick him now and start from scratch. I would say that unless you can find a "can't miss" head coaching candidate it MIGHT be better to stick with Shurmur another year.

Again just arguing this point for the sake of argument. If it were up to me he would be gone, just playing devil's advocate.

I would partially blame the coaches for not ingraining it into to TRich to hit the hole and stop dancing. But as said before for #3 he hasn't produced. Its not bitching its the truth. No one is saying to trade him or bench him. Just stating the facts.

I am not absolving Trent for all that he hasn't done, he needs to be better next year for sure, but I think the coach is to blame more, for his lack of ability to use his players in the best situation. When the other team KNOWS you are going to run, you have very little chance to succeed

More than one player has come out and said that they should keep Shurmur on as HC, most recently Sheldon Brown gave him the thumbs up, saying something about how the system is already in place and this offseason they would have a jumpstart and it would be more about tweaking things than implementing a new system.

My thought here is, would it be too much of a step back to go back to the drawing board with a new coaching staff and scheme (offense AND defense). We all have to admit that there has been some development and the on field product has vastly improved (even though the wins aren't quite there yet). This team is at least fun to watch.

Would it hurt more to keep this guy on another year i.e. mangini or kick him now and start from scratch. I would say that unless you can find a "can't miss" head coaching candidate it MIGHT be better to stick with Shurmur another year.

Again just arguing this point for the sake of argument. If it were up to me he would be gone, just playing devil's advocate.

I was almost thinking along the same lines- until the Washington game. The Browns didn't get out-talented- the Shanahans flat-out destroyed Shurmur and Jauron in the coaching department. They made adjustments, and our coaching staff was unable to adjust to their adjustments. Yeah- it didn't help Weeden played like a bum either.

We'll see if Patsy gets out(Fox)ed again in Denver- Fox IMHO is one of the better HCs around. In that case, It's certainly adios, Shur-loss.

So how does this one fall to Shurmur? Weeden still stinks and the defense played poorly, so was it play calling again?

Vince Lombardi couldn't win with this team

Nah, but when you do dumbass shit like leaving your 1st round draft pick in the game during garbage time in a meanless game when they are blitzing the shit out of your offense to run up sack totals and he gets hurt it doesn't help your case.

If the coaching sucks, how does Weeden "stink". This is the problem this fanbase must get over. Shurmur and his offensive system was a disaster and is now gone. It never worked and no player, including Peyton Manning could make it work. He simply didn't have it as a head coach or offensive design manager.

He was a longshot on hire. Alot of people joked a "Murmur for Shurmur", but it was true. I knew he would last 2-3 years and be fired after 2-3 straight 10+ plus loss seasons. Never got into the Browns much in the Holmgren era after that hire. Just made little sense to.

Thankfully Randy sold the team sparing us another year.................

Until the team is made up of 53 #1 overall picks who each make it to the Pro Bowl, you little girls will find something to bitch about.

Exactly. Everyone on this board bitches about every god damn little negative thing. Don't give me "We're fans that care about the team" bullshit.

Richardson isn't Peterson? Bitch

Weeden isn't Manning? Bitch

So how does this one fall to Shurmur? Weeden still stinks and the defense played poorly, so was it play calling again?

Weeden still stinks?

He was playing pretty well until he got hurt. He's actually had a pretty good rookie season if u ask me. Especially with his #1 and #3 WRs being rookies and his #2 being a second year guy. Complaining about Weeden right now is simply idiotic.

Well since the planets would have to be in perfect alignment for us to win this game I wouldn't say the loss is on anyone. Denver is just a much better team on both sides of the ball. But Shurmur, again ditched the run way too soon. Richardson was averaging 6 yards per carry he only get to rush 9 times. You want to shorten the game against Manning with long sustained drives anyways yet we are passing like hell. So we lose this game anyways, but Shurmur made sure any flicker of hope gets snuffed out early.

I can't wait until we get an offensive coordinator that "get's it"... and a coach that inspires and controls the game. One who uses the talents we have here the right way. I could care less at this point... just looking forward to aaanoootheerrr rebuild... "yaaaay".... zzzz wake me up before pittsburgh then wake me up again in march... zzzzz

Just be careful what you wish for Browns fans. Remember things can always get worse. Do I think Shurmur is the answer? probably not. But out of the realistic rumored candidates none of them really excite me. Saban and Chip Kelly are very unlikely to leave their schools. Saban already tried the NFL and hated it. Chip Kelly already turned down the Tampa job, which is much better opening than Cleveland. John Gruden would bring excitement but other than his Super Bowl win with Dungy's team, he had a pretty mediocre career. But the name that scares me the most is Josh McDaniels. Honestly I think that Haslam is a smart man, but if they hire McDaniels we are in trouble. Remember...it can always get worse. Browns fans wanted Mangini gone and we got Shurmur...

Let me throw another name out there as a Head Coaching possibility.....Kyle Shanahan. I think he might be a real nice fit for the Browns.

We pretty much will know who is leaving in the next 2 weeks. It may be a game or few into the playoffs before we hear about replacements. I think it's looking like a clean sweep of the coaching staff & I don't think that's "starting over" as whoever comes in will inherit a number of solid players who already have decent chemistry built.

Time will tell.

Mike

Let me throw another name out there as a Head Coaching possibility.....Kyle Shanahan. I think he might be a real nice fit for the Browns.

We pretty much will know who is leaving in the next 2 weeks. It may be a game or few into the playoffs before we hear about replacements. I think it's looking like a clean sweep of the coaching staff & I don't think that's "starting over" as whoever comes in will inherit a number of solid players who already have decent chemistry built.

Time will tell.

Mike

We know Shur-loss is leaving about noon on December 31st. That much is a given.

In fairness to Holmgren, after losing out on Harbaugh, it was Heckert that advised him to look at his ole buddy Fritz's nephew's corner. This led Holmgren to feelings of negotism and a bad decision.

Heckert's mess with Shurmur probably won't make finding a job any easier, by far his biggest mistake, even beyond personal.

The sad thing, the only real answer was for Holmgren to hit the sidelines to get this rig up and running, once that didn't happen, it was only a matter of time before it died.

• 5 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2012 at 6:21 PM, BaconHound said:

What you fail to acknowledge like many on this board is he's had below average talent on offense the last two years. Now this year Richardson has been good, not great. Josh Gordon has been good the last seven weeks and Little has started to catch the ball better. That still doesn't overshadow Weeden's shortcomings. He is one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

The problem was Weeden was a bumb. Richardson was pretty good, not great his first year. He netted us another first rounder. 

Are you guys really ready to commit to Rosen or Darnold for the next 10 years? I don't like either of them THAT MUCH. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2012 at 10:46 PM, FearTheRoo said:

Just be careful what you wish for Browns fans. Remember things can always get worse. Do I think Shurmur is the answer? probably not. But out of the realistic rumored candidates none of them really excite me. Saban and Chip Kelly are very unlikely to leave their schools. Saban already tried the NFL and hated it. Chip Kelly already turned down the Tampa job, which is much better opening than Cleveland. John Gruden would bring excitement but other than his Super Bowl win with Dungy's team, he had a pretty mediocre career. But the name that scares me the most is Josh McDaniels. Honestly I think that Haslam is a smart man, but if they hire McDaniels we are in trouble. Remember...it can always get worse. Browns fans wanted Mangini gone and we got Shurmur...

You were right... it did get worse. Waaay worse. Back to back 5-11 seasons, that's 10 wins. It'll take Hue 20 years to match that at this rate! 

Archived