THE BROWNS BOARD

Break Down Weeden's Rookie Year.

dab7291993

First off, I do not put the teams failures on Weeden's shoulders, I do put Weeden's failures on him though.

1. Weeden is supposed to be a QB that stands tall in the pocket, and coming from a quick read offense we expected him to drop back and fire. Instead, we got a QB that led the league in tipped passes and constantly held onto the ball for too long.

2. Don't care who you guys blame, Weeden averaged 6.55 yards per attempt, which ranked 28th in the league. He was supposed to open our offense up so we can attack down the field(which we did until defenses watched tape on Gordon and it was over)

3. His 14:17 TD:INT isn't terrible considering he's a rookie on a pretty bad team, but the fact that he could only put together a few drives a game where he was accurate has to worry you as someone who wants this team to be legit.

4. I really want to hear someone break down to me what his ceiling is, because if we're really gonna invest in this guy we should have the picture painted in front of us what he should become. He never really got better as the season went on, he'd have a good game then he'd regress and it was a cycle and I don't see how something like that stops for a QB who turns 30 next year.

5. He showed what he can do, he made some impressive throws this year and put together some great drives. But all the good is rivaled by what we saw more of, which is inaccuracy and indecision.

And finally, drafting a young QB with a lot of room to grow and setting him up to succeed is our best option IMO. We've seen a lot of young guys come in and have success right away in the last few years and I don't think it's impossible for us to pick one of them. My idea is to draft a QB(not sure who) and sign some vets to come in and help him and our other young guys grow. This won't make us a great team right away but it would finally show us that this team is going somewhere.

I know you guys will be pissed because you love Weeden, and really hate every other QB we've had since Kosar, but be reasonable and if you have an argument present it and I will respect it.

Weedens cieling isnt that high, how can it be? Hes 30 next year, man what a ridiculous reach at 22 in the draft, having a year to see Weedens performance just goes to show that it was A DUMB PICK at that point in the draft. How many other rookie QBs drafted after Weeden have outperformed Weeden? too many

Not saying Weeden sucks..(even though he kinda did this year)...but with the pick's position at 22, not a good pick and not a good showcase of his picks value.

First off, I do not put the teams failures on Weeden's shoulders, I do put Weeden's failures on him though.

1. Weeden is supposed to be a QB that stands tall in the pocket, and coming from a quick read offense we expected him to drop back and fire. Instead, we got a QB that led the league in tipped passes and constantly held onto the ball for too long.

He operated primarily out of the shotgun in college, which is a complete difference than the 3-step drops he was asked to take here. Hence the lack of batted balls in college. A quick fire offense from the shotgun doesn't give the defensive front time to pressure the QB or get in the throwing lanes.

2. Don't care who you guys blame, Weeden averaged 6.55 yards per attempt, which ranked 28th in the league. He was supposed to open our offense up so we can attack down the field(which we did until defenses watched tape on Gordon and it was over)

It's hard to have a higher average yards per completion when your receivers aren't asked to run more than 10 yards downfield. We took more shots than we did a season before, but still not nearly enough for teams to respect us deep.

3. His 14:17 TD:INT isn't terrible considering he's a rookie on a pretty bad team, but the fact that he could only put together a few drives a game where he was accurate has to worry you as someone who wants this team to be legit.

It used to be that rookies had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the game, and people understood that. Then Cam Newton and Russell Wilson come along and everybody expects a rookie QB to pass for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and throw 0 incompletions.

4. I really want to hear someone break down to me what his ceiling is, because if we're really gonna invest in this guy we should have the picture painted in front of us what he should become. He never really got better as the season went on, he'd have a good game then he'd regress and it was a cycle and I don't see how something like that stops for a QB who turns 30 next year.

His ceiling is that he has the size and arm strength of an NFL QB and McCoy doesn't. That alone should grant him a little more time than his rookie year. I bet the Chargers are still waiting for Ryan Leaf to become the QB he was "painted to become".

5. He showed what he can do, he made some impressive throws this year and put together some great drives. But all the good is rivaled by what we saw more of, which is inaccuracy and indecision.

God forbid a rookie QB shows inaccuracy and indecision. Let's fire him on the spot.

And finally, drafting a young QB with a lot of room to grow and setting him up to succeed is our best option IMO. We've seen a lot of young guys come in and have success right away in the last few years and I don't think it's impossible for us to pick one of them. My idea is to draft a QB(not sure who) and sign some vets to come in and help him and our other young guys grow. This won't make us a great team right away but it would finally show us that this team is going somewhere.

Which QB would you have us draft? Which vets would you have us sign? If you don't expect us to be a great team right away with the QB you think we should draft, why doesn't Weeden get that same excuse? Why waste a spot drafting a QB when you could use that to address another need and then bring in vets to help Weeden out?

I know you guys will be pissed because you love Weeden, and really hate every other QB we've had since Kosar, but be reasonable and if you have an argument present it and I will respect it.

I know you will be pissed because you hate Weeden and really love McCoy and every other QB we've had since Kosar, but be reasonable and if you have an argument present it and I will respect it.

Alex Smith is probably the best option, but he's not even that good of a qb. Others to consider are Flynn or Gabbert, but fuck that. I'd rather see what Weeden can do with more freedom in a spread offense because this year's QB draft class sucks and the guys I listed above aren't significantly better than Weeden.

How many other rookie QBs drafted after Weeden have outperformed Weeden? too many

Hmmm... maybe one (Wilson) but he is asked to be more of a game manager, while Weeden was asked to carry the offense on his shoulders.

Anyways, Weeden's ceiling could be anywhere from Eli Manning to Ryan Leaf. It's impossible to tell after one season, with young receivers and horrible playcalling. The OP didn't point out any positives like 1) he moves well within the pocket, 2) his arm strength is incredible, just needs to put more touch on short passes, 3) he's a student of the game and watches film religiously, 4) has guts...which I think Shurmur ruined half-way through the season, and 5) is a good leader, according to his teammates.

Drafting a QB in the 1st or 3rd would set this team behind another 3 years. Also, there are no FAs out there at QB that I see as an upgrade. Sorry, Weeden's the guy, and he needs to be given that chance. He really needs a vet WR and a good OC and I think we'll see a much better QB next year. Just my opinion.

I welcome an argument for a change at that position that would help us. I just don't see it.

Weedens cieling isnt that high, how can it be? Hes 30 next year, man what a ridiculous reach at 22 in the draft, having a year to see Weedens performance just goes to show that it was A DUMB PICK at that point in the draft. How many other rookie QBs drafted after Weeden have outperformed Weeden? too many

Not saying Weeden sucks..(even though he kinda did this year)...but with the pick's position at 22, not a good pick and not a good showcase of his picks value.

Cant blame Weeden for being picked @ 22 . Heckert and Holmgren were in pannick mode desperate to win now.Thats why one is gone and the other will be shortly.

"It used to be that rookies had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the game, and people understood that. Then Cam Newton and Russell Wilson come along and everybody expects a rookie QB to pass for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and throw 0 incompletions."

When was it normal for a 1st round QB to be one of the worst QB's in the league? When is it normal to treat a 29 year old rookie the same as a 22 year old rookie?

"God forbid a rookie QB shows inaccuracy and indecision. Let's fire him on the spot."

God forbid I expect progression out of my QB over the season, let's give him 3 years and see what he can really do because next year won't really count because it's gonna be a new offense. lol.

"Which QB would you have us draft? Which vets would you have us sign? If you don't expect us to be a great team right away with the QB you think we should draft, why doesn't Weeden get that same excuse? Why waste a spot drafting a QB when you could use that to address another need and then bring in vets to help Weeden out?"

Well, first off I wouldn't have reached for Weeden in the first place. Weeden doesn't get the same excuse as whatever QB we draft because Weeden is a terrible QB and hasn't shown otherwise. It wouldn't be a wasted pick because Weeden loses us games with his decision making, and Weeden hasn't shown he's worth investing in.

There are plenty of free agents this season that could come in and help this team, we just have to have money to throw at them. Jared Cook, Dwayne Bowe, veteran linemen whoever we think can come in and contribute. If we draft a QB we can sign the free agents to make up for other positions of need.

And finally, I don't love McCoy that much, I just thought the Weeden pick was the worst pick we've made in years. We reached for a 29 year old QB in the 1st round at it won us 1 more game than last year, but Colt had to go? He was the reason we were losing? No. You can throw around the same shit every other Browns fan throws around that Colt is a "noodle-armed drive-killing terrible QB" but at the end of the day this "upgrade" at QB did absolutely nothing for our team. At 22 we could have picked David DeCastro(position of need), Harrison Smith (position of need) and drafted a guy like Cousins (who I did want in the 3rd or 4th) and been in the same damn position we are now, without a coach or GM and a Top 10 draft pick. That's why I hate Weeden, I'm sure he's a great guy but he just epitomizes the ineptitude of our front office and what it has been for years.

The coaching staff SEVERELY hindered Weeden. He wasn't allowed to change plays, he was put into a system that doesn't exploit his strengths, and that system is outdated and totally predictable.

Now if he sucks again next year, with better coaching and a better system, then he has to go, But I would give him next year. There really isn't a much better option out there right now.

The coaching staff SEVERELY hindered Weeden. He wasn't allowed to change plays, he was put into a system that doesn't exploit his strengths, and that system is outdated and totally predictable.

Now if he sucks again next year, with better coaching and a better system, then he has to go, But I would give him next year. There really isn't a much better option out there right now.

Agree.

Also, remember in the first 5 games of the season, the Browns had a 70-30 pass-to-rush ratio. It just didn't make any sense to me-they didn't put Weeden in a good situation to perform right out of the gate.

My main concerns with Weeden is his pocket presence, as he doesn't feel the pass rush, and the stare-down of his primary target. Get rid of those flaws & you may see an above average QB.

My thoughts about Weeden can't be addressed until we truly know how much departed Shur-loss' moronic coaching & game planing spooked him. You have a qb with a cannon arm, so let's only go deep once (at most) a game?

It looked like after a few ints, he was afraid to even try to get it to a guy who was partially open. (Incidentally I didn't see that problem from Thad Lewis).

Yup, Weedster's got a slow release, minimal pocket presence, slow going through his progressions, not great at reading a defense, and like the baseball pitcher he was throws too many uncatchable high fastballs.

Sadly, isn't anyone in the upcoming draft, or potential FA that's much better. Maybe dangerous based on one game, but I'd give Lewis a shot to unseat him next year. :/

Next year Weeden will still be unproven.

Next year Weeden will be 30.

Next year he still will be immobile.

Next year he still will be an interception waiting to happen.

Next year this team will still suck if Weeden is the starter.

All these things are true yet still some of you want this guy back leading this young team under a first year coach for this team?

How is this a recipe for success? Weeden is a career back up in this league. Why can't you all ever be ahead of the learning curve instead of having to be bludgeoned with mediocrity before you get the obvious?

WOW I guess some really do not like Weeden

Fact: There is NO ONE IN THE DRAFT WHO IS BETTER THAN WEEDEN

Fact: He never was aloud to change the play at the line

Fact: Shurmer sucked

Fact: He had 3 rookie WR

Fact: God please no to Alex Smith

Weeden will be our QB next year and the year after. He will be fine, and no he is not RG3, Wilson, Luck. It is not his fault he got drafted 22nd in the draft. Lets see who our coach will be first. Everyone in San Fran hated Alex Smith for years than Harbaaugh came in and boom he was a good QB, than he got shafted

That is the problem with Browns fans want a new QB every year and a new coach every year. No wonder other fans come on here and bash the living shit out of us. We have moron fans!!!!

Here we go with the Browns fanbase saying which QB will be good or not. Geno Smith >>>>> Weeden.

You dudes never learn. Not a very bright set of fans supporting this team

Unfortunately I have to agree here. Maybe it's something in the air in Cleveland as I actually live in South Florida, but there are a lot of crybabies out there cryin over things that A) they have no control over anyways, and B)Just show how little they actually know about football.

Look at Drew Brees and the Saints this year...Do you mean to tell me that you think that them losing Sean Peyton for the year isn't the reason they were horrible? Every other year they were lights out until this year...same squad, same coaches minus him...

Too many HOF QB's had horrible rookie years for you to want to rinse, repeat Weeden so soon.

WOW I guess some really do not like Weeden

Fact: There is NO ONE IN THE DRAFT WHO IS BETTER THAN WEEDEN

Fact: He never was aloud to change the play at the line

Fact: Shurmer sucked

Fact: He had 3 rookie WR

Fact: God please no to Alex Smith

Weeden will be our QB next year and the year after. He will be fine, and no he is not RG3, Wilson, Luck. It is not his fault he got drafted 22nd in the draft. Lets see who our coach will be first. Everyone in San Fran hated Alex Smith for years than Harbaaugh came in and boom he was a good QB, than he got shafted

That is the problem with Browns fans want a new QB every year and a new coach every year. No wonder other fans come on here and bash the living shit out of us. We have moron fans!!!!

Good post. I cannot understand why Browns fans love to hate on their players. The guys just threw for over 3400 yards as a rookie. Instead reading threads of fans being excited about having a guy who can potentially throw for 4k yards I come on here and read about how he needs to be replaced and that Colt McNoodlearm would have won more games. It really is idiotic. I would also add as a fact that our tight ends are not very good either and Alex Smith is not really an upgrade. Anyways, I am not saying that Weeden has proven himself because he has definitely made some mistakes, but he does not deserve to be replaced yet either. As a sidenote, Banner and Halsam are not doing the rookies, Weeden included, any favors by changing the system (even if it was the right decision) as there will be another learning curve with whoever is brought in. I am on the fence about all of the change- Heckert especially- and they need to prove they can do it right to me before I get excited that the old staff was replaced. This years offense was a big improvement from last years dumpster fire of an O.

"It used to be that rookies had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the game, and people understood that. Then Cam Newton and Russell Wilson come along and everybody expects a rookie QB to pass for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and throw 0 incompletions."

When was it normal for a 1st round QB to be one of the worst QB's in the league? When is it normal to treat a 29 year old rookie the same as a 22 year old rookie?

See: Peyton Manning's rookie year. Eli Manning's rookie year. Drew Brees' first two years in San Diego. Drew Bledsoe's rookie year. Troy Aikman's rookie year. John Elway's rookie year. Terry Bradshaw's rookie year. Dan Fouts' rookie year. Donovan Mcnabb's rookie year. Need I really go on?

Why should the age matter? A rookie is a rookie. He had played in exactly as many NFL games as all the other rookies drafted with him. I don't see what's hard to understand about that.

"God forbid a rookie QB shows inaccuracy and indecision. Let's fire him on the spot."

God forbid I expect progression out of my QB over the season, let's give him 3 years and see what he can really do because next year won't really count because it's gonna be a new offense. lol.

Yeah, sticking with a QB for more than a year is such an awful idea. What's funny is that the idea you posed sarcastically is actually better than any idea you've ever had.

"Which QB would you have us draft? Which vets would you have us sign? If you don't expect us to be a great team right away with the QB you think we should draft, why doesn't Weeden get that same excuse? Why waste a spot drafting a QB when you could use that to address another need and then bring in vets to help Weeden out?"

Well, first off I wouldn't have reached for Weeden in the first place. Weeden doesn't get the same excuse as whatever QB we draft because Weeden is a terrible QB and hasn't shown otherwise. It wouldn't be a wasted pick because Weeden loses us games with his decision making, and Weeden hasn't shown he's worth investing in.

And here's where the butthurt lies. You just don't like him. It's DA/BQ all over again. Which games has Weeden explicitly lost us again?

There are plenty of free agents this season that could come in and help this team, we just have to have money to throw at them. Jared Cook, Dwayne Bowe, veteran linemen whoever we think can come in and contribute. If we draft a QB we can sign the free agents to make up for other positions of need.

Jared Cook is awful and we don't need tight ends. Dwayne Bowe has been a distraction in KC for the last two years and doesn't really possess any tools that Gordon doesn't already have. With an offseason under his belt, Gordon will be earning Pro Bowl nods. We do need two guards.

And finally, I don't love McCoy that much, I just thought the Weeden pick was the worst pick we've made in years. We reached for a 29 year old QB in the 1st round at it won us 1 more game than last year, but Colt had to go? He was the reason we were losing? No. You can throw around the same shit every other Browns fan throws around that Colt is a "noodle-armed drive-killing terrible QB" but at the end of the day this "upgrade" at QB did absolutely nothing for our team. At 22 we could have picked David DeCastro(position of need), Harrison Smith (position of need) and drafted a guy like Cousins (who I did want in the 3rd or 4th) and been in the same damn position we are now, without a coach or GM and a Top 10 draft pick. That's why I hate Weeden, I'm sure he's a great guy but he just epitomizes the ineptitude of our front office and what it has been for years.

At 22 we could have also picked Courtney Upshaw, A.J. Jenkins, Brian Quick or Coby Fleener- guys who have either underperformed or haven't even seen the field. It's easy to go back and say "we could have had so-and-so".

If Weeden were 22, you would have shit your pants over the pick because of his combination of measurables, size and production. If he were 22, he would have been a top 5 pick. Stop flapping your pussy about his age. If we get 8 solid years out of him what does it matter?

He had a bad rookie year, just like many rookies. He'll be the starter next season and he'll do better. So close your vagina and enjoy.

I'm telling you Weeden won't be the starter next year.

No coach going forward is going to have this guy manning his team. He'll throw 16-22 more picks next year.

He's a NFL back up. Not really that hard to see.

Then who will be the starter? And don't say McCoy. Weeden is WAY WAY WAY better then him

My main concerns with Weeden is his pocket presence, as he doesn't feel the pass rush, and the stare-down of his primary target. Get rid of those flaws & you may see an above average QB.

that and the fact that he can't decipher a defense that's laid out in front of him for shit, the overthrows, the bad throws (ints) and his clumsiness when there is pressure around him.

of course we've got to give him another year unless mcdaniels becomes our coach and somehow we can pull off a trdde for mallet.

I don't have to explain to you in detail why Weeden isn't the guy going forward. Honestly, I shouldn't have to explain. But since 85% of this fanbase is completely illiterate to what it takes tp attain championship football, overwhelming pressure is there for me to to go from Point A-to-Point Z as to why Weeden is a back up and why Richardson is not worth a top 5 pick years before that stateoment becomes an outright bonafide fact.

Sheeesh, forget that, I'm done trying to explain the facts even though you all act like the facts are opinions around here just because you purposely chose to not see a situation for what it is based on ignorance and fanboyism.

That's not my concern. That would be turning this team around or at least giving you the blueprint as to how that happens. Don't penalize me for not being the Browns GM. My ideas are the silver lining to sustained success and championship caliber football in this town.

This is about the actual front office getting close enough to what I say to give you all want you most which is a winner, THAT IS THE QUESTION.

I don't have to explain to you in detail why Weeden isn't the guy going forward. Honestly, I shouldn't have to explain. But since 85% of this fanbase is completely illiterate to what it takes tp attain championship football, overwhelming pressure is there for me to to go from Point A-to-Point Z as to why Weeden is a back up and why Richardson is not worth a top 5 pick years before that stateoment becomes an outright bonafide fact.

Sheeesh, forget that, I'm done trying to explain the facts even though you all act like the facts are opinions around here just because you purposely chose to not see a situation for what it is based on ignorance and fanboyism.

That's not my concern. That would be turning this team around or at least giving you the blueprint as to how that happens. Don't penalize me for not being the Browns GM. My ideas are the silver lining to sustained success and championship caliber football in this town.

This is about the actual front office getting close enough to what I say to give you all want you most which is a winner, THAT IS THE QUESTION.

While you're probably right, the question of what to do next year still remains. I'd say there's a 90% chance that Weeden is our starter next year, and I don't think that anyone's going to give up on that season already.

If you are SOOOOOOO smart, who will be starting next year?

I'm telling you Weeden won't be the starter next year.

No coach going forward is going to have this guy manning his team. He'll throw 16-22 more picks next year.

He's a NFL back up. Not really that hard to see.

One thing not hard to see is that you're nothing but a dumb ass troll.

We want a superbowl more than anything else in this city and people actually want us to obtain Ryan fucking Mallet.

And how you can overlook Weeden's age as if it's nothing astounds me, dude is 30 and there are 22 year olds better than him right now, but THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY WE CAN UPGRADE? If Weeden were 22 it wouldn't be as bad, you know, like all those other QB's you listed that had bad rookie years.

This isn't about Colt fucking McCoy or any other QB I favor over Weeden, it's about the fact he's 30, has bad mechanics and hasn't even shown he has the head to be a QB in this league. The fact that you have faith in him as if he can be our Andrew Luck or our RG3 is stupid.

Yeah and you'll never drop that "i'm right and you're stupid" attitude, lol. It's gonna get you far.

I'm sorry I care more about the team winning than getting connected to players, you can say I was connected to Colt but I'll tell you what it really was. Grabbing Weeden made this team no better, we could've let Colt's contract run out and signed a FA or drafted a QB with Weeden's tools and 6-8 years younger. Which is a smart move for a football team.

You're a troooooollll!!!

Really is that the best you got? The Browns have lost double digit games 12 of 14 seasons since they've return and you want to call me a troll for going against the decisions the established regimes have made?

Do you know how friggin stupid you sound? 11 months ago I told you dudes to do what it takes to draft RGIII and 1/2 of the board laughed it off only to be okay with trading 4 picks to move up to draft Richardson in the top 3 of an NFL Draft.

LMAOOOOOOO

You all are CLUELESS. Downright dumb as to what it takes to have a winner in this city. Leave your troll comments at the door... of my outhouse

We want a superbowl more than anything else in this city and people actually want us to obtain Ryan fucking Mallet.

so you know that weeden is better than mallet?

i would think that there is a reason that the fucking NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS who the browns, as an organization, aren't even a drop of sweat off their ball sacks have this guy as their number 2 QB.

but we have weeden, mccoy and thadeus lewis. hip hip hooray.

i'd trade all 3 right now for ryan mallet.

He threw for over 60 TDs and 19 INTs against the best conference in college football. And he's not 30, so you should love him.

On but he's not RG3 or Cam Newton and he's not very good in Madden so he's clearly not for you.

And how you can overlook Weeden's age as if it's nothing astounds me, dude is 30 and there are 22 year olds better than him right now, but THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY WE CAN UPGRADE? If Weeden were 22 it wouldn't be as bad, you know, like all those other QB's you listed that had bad rookie years.

I'm not overlooking it, but I'm not shitting over it like a big fucking pussy, either. I didn't realize that once a person turns 30, all of their talent goes out the window. Once again, if we get 8 years out of him then what does it matter?

This isn't about Colt fucking McCoy or any other QB I favor over Weeden, it's about the fact he's 30, has bad mechanics and hasn't even shown he has the head to be a QB in this league. The fact that you have faith in him as if he can be our Andrew Luck or our RG3 is stupid.

You show me where I said that. I'll wait.

Yeah and you'll never drop that "i'm right and you're stupid" attitude, lol. It's gonna get you far.

I am right and you are stupid. Why should I drop the attitude if its true? When you say something remotely intelligent, ill think about changing my mind.

I'm sorry I care more about the team winning than getting connected to players, you can say I was connected to Colt but I'll tell you what it really was. Grabbing Weeden made this team no better, we could've let Colt's contract run out and signed a FA or drafted a QB with Weeden's tools and 6-8 years younger. Which is a smart move for a football team.

Let me get this straight. Colt should have been given another year but Weeden doesn't deserve one?

The NFL is a bottom line business. Maintaining the status quo is a good way to lose a job. By not adding a QB in the draft, you don't raise the ceiling on the team. Nobody knew what Weeden was capable of doing in the NFL on April 28th, but we were all very aware of Colt's ceiling. It's easy to say now that "he made the team no better", but you or I had no clue what this season would bring on draft day.

Shurmur and co. were trying to save their jobs. It's was a high risk move that just didn't pay dividends. But had he thrown for 45 TDs for some other team, we would have been kicking ourselves for "staying with Colt".

By the way, he won one more game than Colt did last year, dumbass. So he did "make the team better".

Archived