THE BROWNS BOARD

Candidates

The Gipper

Clearly, as a result of today's press conference the Browns want to go for a STRONG personality at the Head coach....and secondary at the GM position. Thus, here is some speculation on candidates for these positions: I believe the "strong" personality at HC points toward a fairly big name:

Chip Kelly

John Gruden

Nick Saban

Bill O'Brien

Bruce Arians

Guys that seem like "lesser lights", guys that don't seem quite as strong:

Josh McDaniels

Kyle Shanahan

Greg Roman

Ray Horton

GM candidates:

Mike Lombardi...I do think he would be able to take a subservient role to a strong HC.

David Caldwell ...Atlanta Director of Player Personell

Tom Gamble...49ers Director of PP

Marc Ross...Giants Scouting Director

John Dorsey...Packer Director of PP

Brian Xander... Former Broncos GM

Eric DeCosta...Ravens asst. GM

Steve Keim...Card VP of PP

Tom Telesco..Colts Dir. of PP

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly, as a result of today's press conference the Browns want to go for a STRONG personality at the Head coach....and secondary at the GM position. Thus, here is some speculation on candidates for these positions: I believe the "strong" personality at HC points toward a fairly big name:

Chip Kelly

John Gruden

Nick Saban

Bill O'Brien

Bruce Arians

Guys that seem like "lesser lights", guys that don't seem quite as strong:

Josh McDaniels

Kyle Shanahan

Greg Roman

Ray Horton

GM candidates:

Mike Lombardi...I do think he would be able to take a subservient role to a strong HC.

Tom Telesco..Colts Dir. of PP

There's 5 guys on that list I'll take in a heartbeat over Lombardi. If we hire this loser on as anything more than a waterboy, I'll puke.

Chip Kelly

John Gruden

Nick Saban

Bill O'Brien

Bruce Arians>>

I'll take 'any of the above EXCEPT Saban.

Hopefully, his squirrely asp stays in AL where it belongs.

>>GM candidates:

Tom Telesco..Colts Dir. of PP>>

I'd take Dorsey in a heartbeat. When was the last time the Packers 'missed' on a draft pick?

Numero uno candidate is Cowher.........

then Saban........then..........Kelly..............then Mcdaniels.......which my source is saying is the frontrunner.........though the L.Smith situation may have just muddled that up.

The O'brien stuff is a hoot. Pure media mumbling.

This on Dirk Koetter: Per NFL.com

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons

At one point, while he was serving as the Jaguars' offensive coordinator, it was widely speculated that Koetter was being groomed to take over for Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville. When things went south there and the team was sold, Koetter went down with the ship, then resurfaced this year in Atlanta, where he helped lead Matt Ryan to the best season of his young career. That he's innovative offensively and has worked intimately with quarterbacks will help his stock, as will the fact that he's been a head coach at Boise State and Arizona State.

then Saban........then..........Kelly..............then Mcdaniels.......which my source is saying is the frontrunner.........though the L.Smith situation may have just muddled that up.

The indication that Haslam and Banner want a "strong leader" has somewhat been a counter to the fact that they may want McDaniels....as it seems that he may have a reputation as NOT being a strong leader.

Chip Kelly - great. we could have an NFL version of the oregon ducks? no thanks.

John Gruden - ha! meth-head psycho coaching the browns.

Nick Saban - doubt it.

Bill O'Brien - really? when did he become a good coach? because he took over for joe pa and he did better than expected? a single season does not make a great coach.

Bruce Arians - GTFOOH.

clearly this is just 'your' speculation. hopefully there is no more than 2 of those guys on haslam and banner's 'list'.

some of these names amaze me. do people just pull them out of a hat?

I'll take Seattle's D-coordinator Gus Bradley as head coach and Bring in Norv Turner as OC and A.J. Smith as GM. It's a wrap

NO!!!

Glad were not looking for a weak leader ...

Z

LOL...that's what i was thinking.

"I'd like to introduce the new coach of the Cleveland Browns, Caspar Milquetoast."

I'm really not feeling you on that IMO he is not one of the best talent evaluators in the league

He's drafted 4 QB's at San Diego. 2 being Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. In that same about of time we've drafted atleast twice as many and none of them measure up to Brees or Rivers. 13 pro bowlers over 10 years drafted ain't two bad either.

clearly this is just 'your' speculation. hopefully there is no more than 2 of those guys on haslam and banner's 'list'.

some of these names amaze me. do people just pull them out of a hat?

Oh, yes, it is just my...and other's speculation. But I didn't pull them out of a hat. I got them from some of these so called NFL insider websites and the like.

So, sure, it is possible the Browns could pull a Steelers when they hired Mike Tomlin. A guy that they thought they were just interviewing in order to fill the Rooney rule requirement, yet they were so impressed with him they decided to hire him. Sure, that could happen.

Maybe that Ray Horton is that sort of guy.

But, you are right. No one really knows except maybe 2 guys with the initials JH and JB. and maybe not even them.

Per Twitter: ‏@AdamSchefter: Though he'd like to be an HC again one day, Pats OC Josh McDaniels notified teams Monday he will remain in NE, not interview for HC jobs now.

You know, it is highly possible that Bill Belichick has told McDaniels "I am only going to be around a couple or three more years and when I go, I am putting you in line to succeed me".

This has been BB's 13th season with the Pats, and these days coaches just don't hang around that long. Andy Reid lasted 14 years with the Eagles. Cowher 15 with the Steelers. Fisher 17 with the Titans.

BB may want to give McDaniels a year with Tom Brady at QB...or he may want to go out when Brady goes out.

It is highly possible that BB may say to McDaniels "TB and I will go out together, and the time you have spent grooming Ryan Mallet will pay off for you because you and he will become the coach/QB combo that Brady and I have been.".

Per Twitter: ‏@AdamSchefter: Though he'd like to be an HC again one day, Pats OC Josh McDaniels notified teams Monday he will remain in NE, not interview for HC jobs now.

You know, it is highly possible that Bill Belichick has told McDaniels "I am only going to be around a couple or three more years and when I go, I am putting you in line to succeed me".

This has been BB's 13th season with the Pats, and these days coaches just don't hang around that long. Andy Reid lasted 14 years with the Eagles. Cowher 15 with the Steelers. Fisher 17 with the Titans.

BB may want to give McDaniels a year with Tom Brady at QB...or he may want to go out when Brady goes out.

It is highly possible that BB may say to McDaniels "TB and I will go out together, and the time you have spent grooming Ryan Mallet will pay off for you because you and he will become the coach/QB combo that Brady and I have been.".

Would make sense for Bill since he was a POS coach before Brady and likely to be one again without him.

Guys i would love to see come to coach the browns that haslam/banner cant get..

Chip Kelly

Nick Saban

Bill O'Brien

John Gruden

Guys i would be ok with that are somewhat more of a reality and perhaps in barter range of haslam/banner..

Josh McDaniels

Kyle Shanahan

Bruce Arians

Jay Gruden

What we will end up with most likely isnt on this list..

Banner/haslam are either moving slow and already behind the curve or have a couple specific people in mind that they want to take a look at but cant yet..

Guys i would love to see come to coach the browns that haslam/banner cant get..

Chip Kelly

Nick Saban

Bill O'Brien

John Gruden

Guys i would be ok with that are somewhat more of a reality and perhaps in barter range of haslam/banner..

Josh McDaniels

Kyle Shanahan

Bruce Arians

Jay Gruden

theres been a tweet the McDaniels is taking himself out of the running...and No to Saban...hes a carpet bagger.

theres been a tweet the McDaniels is taking himself out of the running...and No to Saban...hes a carpet bagger.

Jimmy Donovan reported after the press conference that Saban is the top choice for Haslam and that TruckerJim is willing to offer Saban 10 million a year

Carpet Bagger...OK...Come to Cleveland win 3 championships in 6 yrs like he gonna do in Tuscaloosa then move on...I'll take that

1356979911[/url]' post='320127']

I would break the bank for Cowher! But my next choice would be Kelly.

Archived