THE BROWNS BOARD

Unconventional Offense?

Westside Steve

It seems over the many many years there have been some unconventional offenses around the league.

The run and shoot the hurry up the no huddle , all of them some what similar but what I wonder is this:

Has any team gone to and won the Superbowl with a flashy new style of offense?

If so was there any sustained success?

Wss

I did think of the WCO but I don't really think it was all that gimmicky. A few more short passes with yards after and throwing more to be tight ends, what more was there?

And like any other system unless you have really good people at key positions it ain't gonna work.

Of course if you have top notch talent at all the key positions you could probably when with the wishbone.

As I see it that's the key. Like if your quarterback is going to run the option on every play it gives carte blanche for defenders to slaughter the guy.

So you're going to need a couple fast and tough backups.

WSS

And like any other system unless you have really good people at key positions it ain't gonna work.

WSS

Exactly.

Plus, you have to be able to stop the run, and move the ball via pass/run on offense. Our new coach needs to clue into what our AFC North rivals do, and decide on how to beat them. It's that simple-you win the division, you have a chance to get to the Superbowl.

You guys are worrying for nothing, chip kelly most likely isnt coming to cleveland and everyone else that is available has nothing new, they are all retreads with no guts and little tiny offensive balls the size of a bb..

Experience means nothing when it is gained by a loser that got the experience using a losing system that eventually cost them their job..

If haslam cant get kelly (and i am betting he cant) he should go after lovie smith at least this guy can offer stability and a brutal defense and is head and shoulders above all other existing nfl retread yawnfest candidates..

I'd prefer Bruce Arians.

What will bring success, if anything, it will be some kind of consistency which we haven't had for years.

Let your core develop and get used to playing with each other in the same system for a while.

If you are fortunate enough that the stars are aligned you will win.

WSS

I'd prefer Bruce Arians.

What will bring success, if anything, it will be some kind of consistency which we haven't had for years.

Let your core develop and get used to playing with each other in the same system for a while.

If you are fortunate enough that the stars are aligned you will win.

WSS

[b]Well, Bruce Arians was the Browns OC for several years....and didn't do all that well. No one was disappointed to see him leave. Of course, maybe he didn't have the talent to work with.[/b]

Edit? After checking, I see that Arians was OC here from 2001-2003. Essentially under Butch Davis. And of course that is the time in which the Browns may in fact have had the most success. They made the playoffs in 2002...and should have beat the Steelers. Arians offense did give the Browns a 17 point lead in a playoff game that was eventually lost because Butch insisted on going into a prevent defense in the middle of the third quarter over the objections of his DC...and because Dennis Northcutt couldn't make an easy catch. He was gone after the following year however. His last year here was the year that the Browns went between Couch and Holcomb...and quite frankly didn't produce all that well offensively..they had 5 games where the offense didn't break single digits in scoring. And in 4 more games they didn't reach 20 points. Of course, the defense under Dave Campo was no better.

Additional note: Arians was, however later the WR coach or OC in 3 Super Bowls in which the Steelers appeared.

Archived