THE BROWNS BOARD

Coordinators

thenew23

Right now, the front runners look like:

OC - Norv Turner

DC - Rahim Morris

ST - Chris Tabor (was denied interviews with other teams)

Chud seems to be making up for his lack of experience by bringing in some former head coaches. Which is smart, as long as he LETS THEM coach. Shurmur did the same thing, but had too big of an EGO to give up playcalling so he could focus on being a HC. Hopefully now Chud can focus more as a gameplanner/motivator/in-game adjuster.

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD

Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris will interview Friday with the Cleveland Browns for their defensive coordinator job.

Any thoughts?

OC - Norv Turner

DC - Rahim Morris

Chud seems to be making up for his lack of experience by bringing in some former head coaches. Which is smart, as long as he LETS THEM coach. Shurmur did the same thing, but had too big of an EGO to give up playcalling so he could focus on being a HC. Hopefully now Chud can focus more as a gameplanner/motivator/in-game adjuster.

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD

Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris will interview Friday with the Cleveland Browns for their defensive coordinator job.

Any thoughts?

Morris is a bright, talented guy whose team quit on him when he was HC in TB.

So I think we would have two Peter Principal guys ... good minds that are better off being coordinators and not HC material.

Zombo

OC - Norv Turner

DC - Rahim Morris

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD

Any thoughts?

Morris means a tampa 2 def... so we go from an extinct offense to a defense that has passed its time, great!!!!

1358390619[/url]' post='323160']

OC - Norv Turner

DC - Rahim Morris

Rick Stroud ‏@NFLSTROUD

Any thoughts?

Morris is seemingly interviewing for the OC position, not the DC position Please say it isn't so!!

Morris is seemingly interviewing for the OC position, not the DC position Please say it isn't so!!

What?

1) Why would a defensive backs coach be interviewing for a OC job

2) All articles and links say it is for the DC job

3) Norv sounds like he is going to be our OC

4) Morris has never coached any offensive part since breaking into the league

5) How the hell did you come up with that idea?

What?

Thanks for not making me say it.

Zombo

Honestly, I don't really care at this point. I just know it damn well better work.

As the HC search continued after the Chip Kelly saga, with all the offensive-minded big(ger) names coming out...I REALLY believed they sought to upgrade the Offensive x from the OC-to-HC Shurmer (then Shurm/Childress)...but one who would be willing to retain Dick Jauron at DC. The only guy (known) to be looked at NOT of that nature was Zimmer, and he was late in the process. Haslam's tenure saw him attend too many games where ?able play-calling and decision making cost us games. I can think of a few, and recall a look of near-disgust from the box at one (hard to say w/ so many to choose from...DAL, IND come to mind)

Bottom line, Shurmer failed in spectacular fashion to convince the new boss he deserved to stay on. I can understand Shurmer, and with him Chilly...and I am quite pleased with the Chud/Norv hires. My pleasantly shocked reaction to the news, 4m after put on twitter, was shot to hell by nights end w/ the report that "will change to 3-4" ...

WTF!?!

You mean to tell me, of all the names looked at...you pull out a shocker like Chud, and he's wanting a 3-4?!? So not only is the scheme taking precedence of the personnel, the decision is made before even considering what you're working with? And how ironic, the addition of Norv is broken almost immediately...yet the DC tbd!?! Yes, Chud+Norv is nice. But what won't be nice is when they're gone in 2 years because our D couldn't keep'em in enough games, while taking shape in the (unnecessary) transition.

BTW, sorry to lump Shurmer in there...first post, been fuming over the Jauron gone/3-4 thing for days. FWIW, as a TB resident and Bucs fan, I think Raheem could be a great hire. His Redskins unit was looking pretty dang stout @ season's end...and that was working w/out 2 of his best front 7 guys (Orakpo and Kerrigan), esp. with that wretched secondary. He is a "player's coach" they said down here...but the guys loved Jauron too. I will save any further ranting for the "3-4" topic/post down the board. Like I said...if this is (as I believe) all a result of Lerner selling/Haslam buying--hard pressed to believe Lerner would've fired Shurmer--JUST GET IT RIGHT.

Morris never was a DC actually, except at Kansas St. He jumped from DB coach to head coach in the NFL, Bucs thought he was the next Mike Tomlin. Bucs actually went 10-6 his second year as HC.

He is thought to be a brilliant tactician ... I'm really liking this.

Seriously guys ... A big time downfield passing offense, a finesse defense ... pretty much describes the four teams playing for the Lombardi.

Chudzinski is THE guy for this franchise ... Browns fans are like battered wives though ... just expecting the worst to walk through that door.

That shit changes with Jimmy and Chud.

Zombo

Do want to add, that Pettine guy outta NYJ would look pretty good about now. And go figure, Marrone with the hire. With the Kelly hire today, go figure it's Marrone who hired him on in BUF. Not sure how seriously they were considering him, but gotta wonder if we'd made a/the hire when he (Pettine) was still on the market...nah, can't think that way. I was just looking for an exact quote of his (and after having posted that prev. reply), but I like the guy...the gist of it is part of my last post: "You fit the scheme to the personnel you have, you can't/don't(?) try and fit the players to the scheme"

Follow the facts: What actually came out of Chud's mouth??? remember??

(paraphrased)

We will probably run a 4-3/3-4 Hybrid

We will fit our schemes to work with our players' strengths

Unless you heard HIM say otherwise, don't start freakin' out and thinking we're doomed. Personally, Jauron's defense fell apart half-way through the season. They couldn't get off the field and allowed too many sustained TD drives. I'm all for changing it b/c we have some of the base talent for either style. DT Rubin,Hughes DT/DE Taylor,Winn MLB Jackson OLB Gocong (sortof) CB Haden SS Ward. Really, we need to improve at CB, FS, OLB either way. So, the difference can be split by bringing in a competent 3-4 OLB via FA. Then we'd have a solid front 3, experience at 3 of 4 LBs, youth/depth at LB, and really only 2 solid DBs which is the weak spot once again with our D.

Morris never was a DC actually, except at Kansas St. He jumped from DB coach to head coach in the NFL, Bucs thought he was the next Mike Tomlin. Bucs actually went 10-6 his second year as HC.

He is thought to be a brilliant tactician ... I'm really liking this.

Seriously guys ... A big time downfield passing offense, a finesse defense ... pretty much describes the four teams playing for the Lombardi.

Chudzinski is THE guy for this franchise ... Browns fans are like battered wives though ... just expecting the worst to walk through that door.

That shit changes with Jimmy and Chud.

Zombo

What the hell is a finesse defense?

What?

I live in FL and of course it was news on our local channle since he was the Bucs head coach a couple years ago, but that is what the Sportscaster said. He had to be mistaken. I'm pretty sure he said he was interviewing for the Offensive coordinator position. I was thinking the same as you said when the sportcaster said it.

Archived