THE BROWNS BOARD

Ray Horton

BadNewsBrowns

Since Arizona hired Arians and did not retain Horton the word is he's coming to the Browns.

Horton is a 3-4 guy who coached secondary for the Steelers and brought that same type of defense to Arizona.

In other news MKC just tweeted Mike Lombardi is interviewing for GM job today.

Do you have a link confirming Ray Horton?

I believe that those players gave up on their head coach last season, Horton didn't have much to do about it. The only reason they won't their first 4 games of the season was because the defense was dominate, so I believe that Horton would be a good hire for DC, especially when you consider he has something to prove now after being passed up for the HC spot with the Cardinals and because compared to who else is available he is probably at worst one of the top 2 guys available, if not the top guy.

@AdamSchefter 1/18/13 @3:00P

Former Cardinals DC Ray Horton expected to become Browns new DC...

I know it's another Twitter report, but Schefter usually doesn't just tweet garbage. Usually knows something. BUT, still not a sure thing yet.

Just got a text from the Browns its confirmed, Horton is a great hire and he ran a hybrid 3-4 4-3 attacking zone blitzing defense in Arizona. Great hire! Much better than Jaurons break but dont bend defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/browns-hire-ray-horton-as-defensive-coordinator/

It didn’t take long for Ray Horton to find a new job.

Horton, the former Cardinals defensive coordinator who was reportedly unhappy when he was passed over for the head-coaching job in Arizona, has landed in Cleveland as the Browns’ new defensive coordinator.

“We are truly excited that we were able to get someone of Ray’s caliber as our defensive coordinator,” Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said in the team’s announcement. “He possesses a great deal of experience as a player, position coach and coordinator in the NFL and has been part of some of the top defenses in the league throughout his career. He is an extremely talented coach and I know that he will work very well with the young nucleus of players we have on defense.”

Horton has been the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator for the last two years. Prior to that he spent seven seasons on the coaching staff in Pittsburgh, two seasons in Detroit, five seasons in Cincinnati and three seasons in Washington. Before becoming an NFL assistant coach he spent 10 seasons as an NFL player.

His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

Yeah, that one game is what you should go on.

The one where the Arizona offense turned the ball over 8 times and gave up two touchdowns.

Don't look at the 20-18 win the Patriots. Or the fact that their defense was statistically better than ours.

The only problem I have with Horton is that if we have one really good year he will be gone to a head coaching position. He nearly got one this year.

Zombo

--Was the BEST of all names bandied about for DC.

Yeah, that one game is what you should go on.

The one where the Arizona offense turned the ball over 8 times and gave up two touchdowns.

Don't look at the 20-18 win the Patriots. Or the fact that their defense was statistically better than ours.

The only problem I have with Horton is that if we have one really good year he will be gone to a head coaching position. He nearly got one this year.

Zombo

--Was the BEST of all names bandied about for DC.

Unless he DOESN'T and he gives us TWO really good years!

I'm so tired of people bringing up that 58-0 loss. As Z said the offense turned the ball over 8 times and two for Tds. What the hell do you want a coordinator to do when you're unit is out there 80% of the time guarding the red zone? This guy was the most sought after minority coach in the NFL and clearly is well respected in the league.

Like the hire but worry he could be a one or two year rental. He was a lot of people's short lists of head coaches (if only for Rooney Rule purposes). I see him getting a HC job soon.

That would be assuming the Browns get a winning record or at least a very strong defense which would still be a good thing and put positive energy in the organization.

Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

His Arizona "defense" gave up 58 points to Seattle.

I hate to say it, but this season is going to be a disaster.

I enjoy coming to this board to read about Browns news and hear the opinions of others. I usually don't comment unless I read something so ridiculous that I am forced to.

Your posts are always negative. Your statements are reductive and never take the context of a situation into account. Zombo said it best, so I'm not even going to address the x's and o's of your ridiculous post.

I only have one question; are you ever NOT bitching?

P.S. I was born and raised in Akron and I can say, without a doubt, that NO ONE fears the roo.

It's not like it was Cleveland putting up 58 against Arizona, it was the Seahawks. The same team also put up 42 against the 49'ers defense. They're kind of good, you know? Anyways, glad to see us making some steps in the right direction. Judging by some Twitter responses by our guys on defense they seem to be excited about working with Horton as well. A motivated team can take us far.

Does anyone feel good about this hire in terms of Horton wanting to come here and signing so quickly?

He's regarded as HC potential so he might believe this team will be serious for signing like that.

you would imaghine horton's thinking about his future and this successful defense will look great on his resume.

I dont think it was a quick hire, i thought they talked to horton when they were talking to kelly.!

I definitely feel a little bit relieved. Shortly after the rumors of him being a "sure thing" for the Browns DC job surfaced there were also rumors of Philly possibly being interested, that would have looked really bad had Philly stolen him away.

I dont think it was a quick hire, i thought they talked to horton when they were talking to kelly.!

Well they interviewed him for the HC job while they were in Arizona pretty much just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Come to think of it Horton looks like he may have some white in him. I wonder if you have to interview 2 bi-racial candidates to satisfy the Rooney rule?

It was still uncertain whether or not he'd stay with the Cardinals at that point, but I guess it couldn't have hurt.

It's not like it was Cleveland putting up 58 against Arizona, it was the Seahawks. The same team also put up 42 against the 49'ers defense. They're kind of good, you know? Anyways, glad to see us making some steps in the right direction. Judging by some Twitter responses by our guys on defense they seem to be excited about working with Horton as well. A motivated team can take us far.

Can't wait to see this D blitz again. With 40 million in cap space I really hope they go after Byrd from Buffalo and Smith from Miami if they hit the free agent market.

I think Haden will have a big year if we finally blitz and play some zone again, add in a ball hawk like Byrd and things could really get exciting.

Last time we played the 3-4 and blitzed we were a team full of old,slow linebackers... will be fun to see these young guys with speed get after it.

We ultimately should be playing either the 3-4 or 4-3 based on the opposing teams strengths at RB.

I remember how in the Buffalo game this year CJ spiller looked like he was gonna break a rushing record against us before getting injured..

Explosive backs will gash us so a 3-4 would be better suited against a back like him. And when you have Green-Ellis on the Bengals or Dwyer/Mendenhall the 4-3 is wondrous as they are slower to the second level/outside.

We do need to sure up OLB though no matter what.

ok i'm not caught up on all these hirings and firings. horton sounds fine to me BUT what happened to jauron? was he fired? did he quit?

Technically I think he was fired. But it is more like he was told that he could interview for other positions after bringing in Chud who wanted another guy. They liked him enough to not fire him right off the bat because they wanted him around in case the new head coach wanted to keep him. But considering that alot of DC spots have already been filled around the league he might get offered to stay on as DB coach/assistant DC since they are still talking about a hybrid 4-3 3-4 type defense.

Great hire!!!

Horton was a potential head coach and my guess will be a head coach in this league someday.

We finally have a proven staff surrounding our head coach.. When could this be said in the past?

Norv maybe a bad head coach but he has excelled as offensive CO it is the reason why he kept getting head coaching jobs..

I like Chud as a hire. He has a creative mind. My only knock on him is how he adjusts year to year. First year with Derek Anderson he blew it up, next year flop.. Cam Newtwon the same thing, but Cam came on the 2nd half of this year..

I think with an experienced staff he could excel.

Archived