THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Ryan Mallett To The Browns?

Kosar_For_President

Could the Cleveland Browns Be in the Market for Ryan Mallett?

The Browns have hired Michael Lombardi away from the NFL Network and made him their new director of player personnel (essentially making him the GM).

This will be Lombardi's second stint in Cleveland after he served as Bill Belichick's director of player personnel from 1992 through 1995. And that Belichick connection is already leading to speculation.

One of the worst-kept secrets of the offseason was Cleveland's interest in Lombardi, which has given the media plenty of time to speculate on potential moves Lombardi would make.

Considering Lombardi's criticism of the Browns' selection of Brandon Weeden (he called it a "panicked disaster"), his documented interest in Ryan Mallett, and the Belichick connection, it's no surprise that Mallett-to-the-Browns ideas have already surfaced.

What is surprising, however, is the speculated asking price below:

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

If the Browns were to part with the sixth overall selection, it would be an unprecedented haul for a former third-round pick with a grand total of four pass attempts (including one interception) in two seasons as Tom Brady's backup.

For some perspective on what it should take to acquire Mallett, let's take a look at a few recent trades involving similar quarterbacks:

In 2011, the Cardinals acquired Kevin Kolb, a former second-round pick with seven career starts under his belt, from the Eagles in exchange for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick.

In 2007, the Texans acquired Matt Schaub, a former third-round pick with two career starts, from the Falcons in exchange for two second-round picks and swap of first-round picks (the Falcons moved up from 10 to eight).

So how does this apply to Mallett? For starters, both Kolb and Schaub had considerably more experience and were highly thought of around the league. Prior to the trades, it was a virtual certainty that a team would be willing to put together a package to acquire the quarterbacks. Both were widely regarded as future starters who were ready to finally step into that role. Mallet, on the other hand, has no meaningful experience at the NFL level which should keep his asking price significantly lower compared to both Kolb and Schaub.

Additionally, there's the tricky question of Mallett's off-field issues. While he has presumably stayed out of trouble during his two years in New England, reports of drug use and other off-field incidents played a significant role in causing his fall to the third round of the draft. And for that reason, a number of potential suitors would likely shy away from a trade for the same reason they steered clear in 2011.

So if the Patriots wish to move Mallett, they're dealing with a limited market. Only a handful of teams are interested in acquiring a quarterback every year, and of those teams, a portion of them may not be interested in investing in Mallett as a starter based on his limited experience and/or the off-field issues.

With the market in mind, it is difficult to envision the Browns needing to offer a package including the sixth overall selection to acquire Mallett. A more realistic trade would be to send the sixth pick to New England in exchange for their first-round selection (29-32 depending on the playoff results) and Mallett.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way possible they trade the 6th overall pick. It's inconceivable. Zero chance of happening. Lombardi may be a freaking moron, but Banner and Haslam are not. They won't even entertain the idea.

No way they swap picks either. Not for a guy who has thrown four passes in the NFL and sucks donkey balls.

Oh it'll happen...I told all of you. this man is gonna screw up the browns in ways you never thought possible...mark it down...2-14 next season.

Since Lombardi said Joe Haden didn't have the speed to be an elite corner and should

be a safety and that Josh Gordon was a bad pick maybe he should trade Haden and

Gordon for Mallet and throw in the #6 pick. I think the Pats would go for that. If not

he could tack on a few more first rounders for Matt Cassel err Ryan Mallet..

Since Lombardi said Joe Haden didn't have the speed to be an elite corner and should

be a safety and that Josh Gordon was a bad pick maybe he should trade Haden and

Gordon for Mallet and throw in the #6 pick. I think the Pats would go for that. If not

he could tack on a few more first rounders for Matt Cassel err Ryan Mallet..

Hey,Lets get Tim Tebow for Colt McCoy.

yeah i can't see any team in the league giving up more than a 3rd round pick for mallett. You dont get drafted in the 3rd round not play at all and have your stock go up.

Now if he had 1 or 2 games under his belt and put up numbers like Matt Flynn did in his chance i could see it..

the only trade that was remotely and i say remotely because Farve was taken early 2nd rd. and strangly enough He only attempted four passes in his career at Atlanta, the exact same number of pass attempts by Ryan Mallett

1991 NFL Draft by Atlanta (33rd overall). He was traded to Green Bay on February 10, 1992, for the 19th pick in the 1992 NFL Draft.

It isn't a BS article by Bleacher Report. The author sourced the rumors and speculation that he used to write his article. Blame them, not him for putting it together.

Yeah but rumors and speculations from whom? He says he has sources but fails say who. That's why it's bs.

Its the consistent change in regimes, and the bad choices combined.

smartest thing written in this stooopid thread.

i guarantee you mallet is better than weeden. guarantee it. but no way in hell we make a move for a qb this coming year, FA draft or trade. fuck that!

too many holes in other places (if we don't draft CB or LB with our first pick a beer is going through my flat screen!!!!). weeden or mccoy are serviceable (mccoy was serviceable last year which is why i screamed bloody murder with the weeden pick @22 last year) until we figure out if one of them can step up and win more than 8 games for us next year. yeah that's right i'm HOPING for a .500 team. is THAT too much to ask for? if the starter doesn't at least do that for us next year he won't be on the team in 2014.

come on jimmy give us SOMETHIN to believe in!!

McCoy should have never even been allowed to start in the league. McCoy will be cut as soon as its possible. I believe Weeden deserves another year also, but if we can get Mallet for say a 4th this year and a conditional pick (like a 4th that could become a 1st depending on his play) I wouldnt hate it. Whos knows what they think about Weeden or Mallett though. I guess we'll find out soon.

Here is the deal guys: Bill Belichick is going to want to use his relationship with Mike Lombardi to improve HIS team, not the Browns.

If there is any legitimacy to the rumor that the Pats would dangle Mallet in a trade to the Browns, then it means that BB believes that Mallet is a piece of shit QB and has no future as the heir to Tom Brady and that he is going to try to rob some poor unsuspecting team with a dumb bastard who is responsible for player personell.

That's a fact jack. I know JH is chummy with Bob Kraft and Lombardi is chummy with BB, but to engage in trade talks with those guys means, to me, that they are simply trying to "catfish" the Browns.

Run away swiftly from any such suggestion.

Mallett to the Browns will probably heat up. Browns will have to give up number 6 overall pick this year, plus more. No clue what else.

Oh sure and the same negotiations are also taking place between the Browns and Denver for Brock Osweiler's services. Browns may have to throw in an extra 1st rounder for Osweiler though.

Here is the deal guys: Bill Belichick is going to want to use his relationship with Mike Lombardi to improve HIS team, not the Browns.

If there is any legitimacy to the rumor that the Pats would dangle Mallet in a trade to the Browns, then it means that BB believes that Mallet is a piece of shit QB and has no future as the heir to Tom Brady and that he is going to try to rob some poor unsuspecting team with a dumb bastard who is responsible for player personell.

That's a fact jack. I know JH is chummy with Bob Kraft and Lombardi is chummy with BB, but to engage in trade talks with those guys means, to me, that they are simply trying to "catfish" the Browns.

I tend to agree, the only thing I can think of is Lombardi and Belichek have talked about Mallett honestly before anyone knew Lombardi would be working in the NFL again.

I don't know Gipper. Bill seems to be the type who wants his next team to be good and doesn't worry about 2-3-4 years down the road. He has Brady for another few years.

I liked Mallett when he was in school, but it would depend on exactly what we had to give up. I wouldn't bet the ranch on the guy. Maybe not even the north 40....say a part of the north 40.

Archived