THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumor: Ryan Mallett To The Browns?

Kosar_For_President

There will be a lot of Ryan Malletts to draft if needed.

not this year. gotta be one of the thinnest draft at QB in recent memory.

You're crazy, then. Belichick practically runs that area. Perks of winning a handful of Super Bowls. He may not have total control, but he can keep more out of the public eye than you may realize.

bill belichick cannot stop the league from testing his athletes or keep the league from announcing who got popped and for what.

quit hating on the pats and mallet.

no one (i hope) really thinks we are looking at bringing in any other QB this off-season unless the new coaches absolutely hate what we have now. the browns have to stick with weeden considering where we drafted him last year. if he totally stinks it up this coming season then we start looking at guys coming out in 2014 or who's available on other rosters. way too many holes to fill this year w/o squandering away picks and future commodities.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bill belichick cannot stop the league from testing his athletes or keep the league from announcing who got popped and for what.

quit hating on the pats and mallet.

no one (i hope) really thinks we are looking at bringing in any other QB this off-season unless the new coaches absolutely hate what we have now. the browns have to stick with weeden considering where we drafted him last year. if he totally stinks it up this coming season then we start looking at guys coming out in 2014 or who's available on other rosters. way too many holes to fill this year w/o squandering away picks and future commodities.

He can, however, get a warning of players that "may" be tested. He also can keep clean urine on file for those players who tend to have problems staying clean.

Don't believe that happens in the NFL? Keep buying your books at the grocery store, then. There's a very real dark side to the NFL, and it rarely sees the light of day. Just enough people get "busted" to keep suspicions down, but cheating the system is a very real thing and every team does it.

He can, however, get a warning of players that "may" be tested. He also can keep clean urine on file for those players who tend to have problems staying clean.

Don't believe that happens in the NFL? Keep buying your books at the grocery store, then. There's a very real dark side to the NFL, and it rarely sees the light of day. Just enough people get "busted" to keep suspicions down, but cheating the system is a very real thing and every team does it.

Well then that means that Belichick does it too...and he keeps no more handle on it than any other coach does. Do you think the league favors the Patriots because BB is their coach?

Well then that means that Belichick does it too...and he keeps no more handle on it than any other coach does. Do you think the league favors the Patriots because BB is their coach?

No, I'm saying that some coaches are better at it then others, just like gameplanning. Do you think every "troubled" player that goes to New England just magically gets better?

Haha, whats funny is I dont really love him as a player at all. Im just trying to defend him and the idea of getting him.

Give it up- you lost defending him. So how much of this guy have you seen- really? Or do you just love him because BB did? Incidentally according to Wiki, the Patsies acquired the pick to draft Mallet when they dumped Randy Moss. BB knows when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.

Mallet never "got caught with cocaine" somebody from an NFL team said that he admitted to drug use in combine interviews. Mallet when asked by the media said that that conversation is between him and the teams and rumors spread like wild fire. Another media rumor was that he was hung over and skipped a meeting with the panthers, turns out he got food poisoning eating dinner with execs from the team. What college kid doesn't do a little experimenting? Look how many NFL players popped positive for weed in college. Somebody on the pats board brought up tagging Vollmer and trading Vollmer and Mallet for the #6. The Browns would get an All-Pro offensive tackle and a franchise QB.

No, I'm saying that some coaches are better at it then others, just like gameplanning. Do you think every "troubled" player that goes to New England just magically gets better?

I think Belichick takes players that he thinks their love of football outweighs their weaknesses and he puts them in a position to only worry about football to keep them out of trouble.

Mallet never "got caught with cocaine" somebody from an NFL team said that he admitted to drug use in combine interviews. Mallet when asked by the media said that that conversation is between him and the teams and rumors spread like wild fire. Another media rumor was that he was hung over and skipped a meeting with the panthers, turns out he got food poisoning eating dinner with execs from the team. What college kid doesn't do a little experimenting? Look how many NFL players popped positive for weed in college. Somebody on the pats board brought up tagging Vollmer and trading Vollmer and Mallet for the #6. The Browns would get an All-Pro offensive tackle and a franchise QB.

The man's never taken a meaningful snap and he's suddenly an a franchise QB?

If he were a franchise QB, Belichick wouldn't trade him and a young franchise LT for anything less than two first round picks.

The man's never taken a meaningful snap and he's suddenly an a franchise QB?

If he were a franchise QB, Belichick wouldn't trade him and a young franchise LT for anything less than two first round picks.

Solder is the franchise LT, Vollmer was the RT and is 28. A lot of people think that Vollmer will leave to become a LT somewhere, and he is a free agent. We have a promising young tackle in Cannon right behind him, Cannon is 4 years younger and was projected to go in the second round two years ago before being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma at the combine. Look at Favre, he was traded for a first after seeing almost no snaps in the regular season.

Solder is the franchise LT, Vollmer was the RT and is 28. A lot of people think that Vollmer will leave to become a LT somewhere, and he is a free agent. We have a promising young tackle in Cannon right behind him, Cannon is 4 years younger and was projected to go in the second round two years ago before being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma at the combine. Look at Favre, he was traded for a first after seeing almost no snaps in the regular season.

Brett Favre held nearly every passing record at Southern Miss, most of which still stand to this day. He took a school that was a perpetual underdog into national prominence, beating a handful of ranked teams they shouldn't have ever beaten. He would have been the starter for Atlanta but Jerry Glanville was a bitch and never wanted to draft him in the first place, and went on record saying it would take a plane crash to put Favre in the game.

Even still, Brett Favre is an exception to prove the rule. For every one Brett Favre there is, you have 10 Colt Brennans.

Brett Favre held nearly every passing record at Southern Miss, most of which still stand to this day. He took a school that was a perpetual underdog into national prominence, beating a handful of ranked teams they shouldn't have ever beaten. He would have been the starter for Atlanta but Jerry Glanville was a bitch and never wanted to draft him in the first place, and went on record saying it would take a plane crash to put Favre in the game.

Even still, Brett Favre is an exception to prove the rule. For every one Brett Favre there is, you have 10 Colt Brennans.

Have you looked at the records Mallet has at Arkansas? And Arkansas was pretty bad before Mallet got there, overall record of 5–7 and a conference record of 2–6 in 2008, went 8-5 with a bowl win in 2009 with Mallet, and it 2010 he went 10–2, 6–2 in SEC play and earned a berth in the Sugar Bowl.

He got busted with cocaine his senior year. And we are set at tackle, unless Vollmer can play G, no thanks. How about Hightower and Mallett?

We already have one All Pro left tackle, and perhaps the best young right tackle in the game.

And Mallet sure as hell under no one's evaluation is a franchise QB.

So you chowderheads quit trying to fawn your dregs off on us....and leave us out of your silly fantasies.

You want to do something for us? Perhaps give us Aqib Talib for like a 6th round pick...if he is yours to give (or is he a FA).

Are you comparing the 3rd round Mallett who is 6'6 to the undrafted Colt Brennan?

He got busted with cocaine his senior year. And we are set at tackle, unless Vollmer can play G, no thanks. How about Hightower and Mallett?

I haven't seen a credible source say he got busted for cocaine, he had a public intoxication citation that cost $155 in fines and fees but that is his only legal record and he never failed a drug test. No way Hightower is traded, I think he is going to end up just as good as Mayo if not better.

I haven't seen a credible source say he got busted for cocaine, he had a public intoxication citation that cost $155 in fines and fees but that is his only legal record and he never failed a drug test. No way Hightower is traded, I think he is going to end up just as good as Mayo if not better.

OK then, until you come up with a credible proposition STFU.

How about this simple, symmetrical trade: Our backup QB for your Backup QB. Colt McCoy for Mallet.

...and you may be getting the better part of the deal.

We already have one All Pro left tackle, and perhaps the best young right tackle in the game.

And Mallet sure as hell under no one's evaluation is a franchise QB.

So you chowderheads quit trying to fawn your dregs off on us....and leave us out of your silly fantasies.

You want to do something for us? Perhaps give us Aqib Talib for like a 6th round pick...if he is yours to give (or is he a FA).

Except apparently your new VP of player personnel, who before the 2011 draft had him rated as the best QB in the draft.

OK then, until you come up with a credible proposition STFU.

How about this simple, symmetrical trade: Our backup QB for your Backup QB. Colt McCoy for Mallet.

...and you may be getting the better part of the deal.

and that is a credible proposition? lol. All I'm saying is that your new quasi-GM thought Mallet was top 10 pick worthy when he came out of college.

and that is a credible proposition? lol. All I'm saying is that your new quasi-GM thought Mallet was top 10 pick worthy when he came out of college.

Yeah unfortunately our new GM also thought Robert Gallery was going to be the next Anthony Munoz. I sure hope Lombardi has learned from his mistakes, or else it's not long until the Browns go 0-16.

We've posted this guys track record drafting- and it's second only to Matt Millen's for sheer stupidity. I almost puked when I heard Banner hired him.

Yeah unfortunately our new GM also thought Robert Gallery was going to be the next Anthony Munoz. I sure hope Lombardi has learned from his mistakes, or else it's not long until the Browns go 0-16.

We've posted this guys track record drafting- and it's second only to Matt Millen's for sheer stupidity. I almost puked when I heard Banner hired him.

We are going by "his" Oakland drafting? I think Al Davis had a bigger part in that than Lombardi.

We are going by "his" Oakland drafting? I think Al Davis had a bigger part in that than Lombardi.

Try Mike Junkin and Clifford Charlton on for size then. He's drafted exactly one stellar player in 20 tries Asomugah, and a couple adequate ones.

More recently, us picking up Josh Gordon in the supplemental was a "bad move".

Like Jimmy Johnson would say- "he can sure talk the talk, now it's time for Mike to walk the walk." Until proven otherwise, the guy is wearing a draft dunce cap.

Seriously- the McCoy for Mallet straight up is actually reasonable. McCoy has at least shown he's capable of being an adequate back up- Mallet has yet to prove anything.

Except apparently your new VP of player personnel, who before the 2011 draft had him rated as the best QB in the draft.

Yea, well, everyone here knows he's a dumbass. That is why there is no honeymoon with this team and this owner and President and FO.

Everyone knows we have gotten a guy who is a proven failure....and we are worried that this is just more evidence of his ineptness.

Have you looked at the records Mallet has at Arkansas? And Arkansas was pretty bad before Mallet got there, overall record of 5–7 and a conference record of 2–6 in 2008, went 8-5 with a bowl win in 2009 with Mallet, and it 2010 he went 10–2, 6–2 in SEC play and earned a berth in the Sugar Bowl.

Arkansas was bad for one year before Mallet got there in 2009. That was because of a coaching change as well as losing 13 starting players, 11 of which were seniors, from the previous season. They also lost both their All-American runningbacks in Felix Jones and Darren McFadden.

In 2007, they went 8-5, they beat #1 LSU and played in the Cotton Bowl.

In 2006, they went 10-4 (7-1 SEC)and played in the Capital One Bowl.

They had a two year slump in 2004 and 2005 but prior to that Houston Nutt had them in six straight bowl games.

In the 3 seasons before Mallet got there, they had made it to 2 bowl games. They went to 8 bowls in 10 seasons. Hardly what I'd call a "pretty bad" team.

Are you comparing the 3rd round Mallett who is 6'6 to the undrafted Colt Brennan?

Yes, both were considered to be fantastic college QB's, and both have yet to play a meaningful snap in the NFL. It's a more apt comparison than any you've made or anyone else has made in regards to Mallet. As a matter of fact, Colt Brennan holds a handful of NCAA Division 1 passing records, something Ryan Mallet does not.

Also, Colt Brennan was drafted in the sixth round, he wasn't an undrafted QB. As for the size comparison (I'm not sure why you would include Mallet's height in a discussion about when the person was drafted), Brennan is 6'4, only two inches shorter than Mallet.

Ryan Leaf was the same size as Mallet. How did his career work out?

Basically every team in that draft listed Gallery as the best prospect

Arkansas was bad for one year before Mallet got there in 2009. That was because of a coaching change as well as losing 13 starting players, 11 of which were seniors, from the previous season. They also lost both their All-American runningbacks in Felix Jones and Darren McFadden.

In 2007, they went 8-5, they beat #1 LSU and played in the Cotton Bowl.

In 2006, they went 10-4 (7-1 SEC)and played in the Capital One Bowl.

They had a two year slump in 2004 and 2005 but prior to that Houston Nutt had them in six straight bowl games.

In the 3 seasons before Mallet got there, they had made it to 2 bowl games. They went to 8 bowls in 10 seasons. Hardly what I'd call a "pretty bad" team.

Yes, both were considered to be fantastic college QB's, and both have yet to play a meaningful snap in the NFL. It's a more apt comparison than any you've made or anyone else has made in regards to Mallet. As a matter of fact, Colt Brennan holds a handful of NCAA Division 1 passing records, something Ryan Mallet does not.

Also, Colt Brennan was drafted in the sixth round, he wasn't an undrafted QB. As for the size comparison (I'm not sure why you would include Mallet's height in a discussion about when the person was drafted), Brennan is 6'4, only two inches shorter than Mallet.

Ryan Leaf was the same size as Mallet. How did his career work out?

Eh, he was 6'3, but everyone knew he didnt have the arm strength.

Man I hate to bust in on the awesome "argument" over Mallet, but I found this post interesting. If the NFL is so dark and people cover up so much shit, the Browns need a better cover up guy..... I mean an Aderol pill gets our best DB for four games, come on man

Basically every team in that draft listed Gallery as the best prospect

thank you. i don't like the hire of lombardi either but if he were to have passed on gallery who was rated the highest and he turned out to be another JT or JO he would have looked like a schmuck as well. hopefully he has learned something in his time off.

i liked heckert a lot but last year to me was one of his worse drafts as the brown's GM, considering the moves, where and who we picked. i would say gordon was the best pick overall. sure that could all change this year if our 2 first round picks step up and play like they should.

If the NFL is so dark and people cover up so much shit, the Browns need a better cover up guy..... I mean an Aderol pill gets our best DB for four games, come on man

lol. exactly.

i don't think anyone here is saying ryan mallet is a franchise QB, now or maybe ever. just saying he could be better than what we have now. maybe, maybe not. but like zombo has said in one of these posts is we need a QB. if turner can turn around weeden and get him going in the right direction, great. if he wants alex smith, great. if he wants mallet, great. just can we fucking get someone that can play the position pleez?

all i know is we can't give up any picks this year. it'd have to be a trade or a signing.

Man I hate to bust in on the awesome "argument" over Mallet, but I found this post interesting. If the NFL is so dark and people cover up so much shit, the Browns need a better cover up guy..... I mean an Aderol pill gets our best DB for four games, come on man

While I'd like to believe that the Browns organization holds themselves to a higher standard and chose not to hide any details from the league, I honestly believe our former FO was just too stupid to cover it up.

Of course if you go for conspiracy theories, there's an interesting one floating around about the supposed "Bermuda Triangle" of NFL franchises. A group of franchises that are all perpetually in the bottom 10 of the league and seem to recycle personnel between them. Rumor has it that they're supposed to lose for a multitude of reasons, each one more outlandish than the next. Personally, I think it's horseshit. But it is fun to think about.

Archived