THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Lombardi Bring In Jamarcus Russell?

bonedawg

We all know Lombardi's tenure with the Raiders was disastrous on all accounts, and it culminated with his involvement drafting one of the biggest busts in NFL history in JaMarcus Russell. Well, Russell is planning his "big" NFL comeback (link below). Could Lombust-o be the guy that give JaFatass Russell his second chance?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-bust-jamarcus-russell-attempting-nfl-comeback-043914730--nfl.html

Fun Fact! Russell is 2 years younger than Weeden...

Fun fact: that's the stupidest article I've read in some time. No one is going to give that fat lazy turd a chance.

Well I disagree slightly only because the CFL, UFL or AFL will give the guy a contract. I mean most of those places are desperate for things to bring people to games (see TO). Just reading an article I found this funny, here's all the people drafted behind fatass in the first round in 2007:

(2) - Calvin Johnson

(3) - Joe Thomas

(6) - LaRon Landry

(7) - Adrian Peterson

(11) - Patrick Willis

(12) - Marshawn Lynch

(14) - Darrelle Revis

(18) - Leon Hall

(23) - Dwayne Bowe

(25) - Jon Beason

(28) - Joe Staley

(29) - Ben Grubbs

Well I disagree slightly only because the CFL, UFL or AFL will give the guy a contract. I mean most of those places are desperate for things to bring people to games (see TO). Just reading an article I found this funny, here's all the people drafted behind fatass in the first round in 2007:

(2) - Calvin Johnson

(3) - Joe Thomas

(6) - LaRon Landry

(7) - Adrian Peterson

(11) - Patrick Willis

(12) - Marshawn Lynch

(14) - Darrelle Revis

(18) - Leon Hall

(23) - Dwayne Bowe

(25) - Jon Beason

(28) - Joe Staley

(29) - Ben Grubbs

That was a really good first round save Jamarcus. Any team would be happy with any of those players I feel. The worst player on that list is probably LaRon Landry, and he had a few really good seasons.

(2) - Calvin Johnson

(3) - Joe Thomas

(6) - LaRon Landry

(7) - Adrian Peterson

(11) - Patrick Willis

(12) - Marshawn Lynch

(14) - Darrelle Revis

(18) - Leon Hall

(23) - Dwayne Bowe

(25) - Jon Beason

(28) - Joe Staley

(29) - Ben Grubbs

I was talking about the NFL. I agree with the other leagues maybe giving him a shot just for attention.

Well I disagree slightly only because the CFL, UFL or AFL will give the guy a contract. I mean most of those places are desperate for things to bring people to games (see TO).

Yea, really, I think going to the UFL is this dudes best option. If he wants to prove he can do something, prove it in the minor leagues first. If he tears it up there, then maybe he can have a shot back in the big leagues. I am not sure why football should be any different than baseball in this regard.

Well I disagree slightly only because the CFL, UFL or AFL will give the guy a contract. I mean most of those places are desperate for things to bring people to games (see TO).

Yea, really, I think going to the UFL is this dudes best option. If he wants to prove he can do something, prove it in the minor leagues first. If he tears it up there, then maybe he can have a shot back in the big leagues. I am not sure why football should be any different than baseball in this regard.

Tommy Maddox flamed out in the NFL...was out of the game and went to the XFL and parlayed that into an NFL gig. No reason if he's serious about making a comeback, which would be the biggest issue since most reports were the guy had no interest in trying or working hard when he had his first shot at the NFL. Go prove yourself somewhere else and then get an NFL gig.

308 lbs? Currently? Maybe we can give him a shot on the OL. He's only 3 less lbs than Mack and 4 less than Thomas... Or maybe a DE if we do in fact switch to the 3-4...

Damn right- he could bulk up into a great OL. LOL. However, I wouldn't doubt Joe Thomas is smarter than he is- that was one of the knocks on him- and that's not a race issue, it's from the reports filtering back when JR was in the NFL- he wasn't exactly too bright.

hey, robert gallery was a great pick (raiders) so was mike powell, steve everitt and foote (i collected all their cards thinking they would be somebody)......

what's the guy 1 out of 25 average?

hope he slathered some cock while he was out of action and get some of his 'down low' buddies some blackmail gay photos on draft day.

hey. we should get WRRebel to take him down south (if you know what i mean) and show him some good stang. hope the GMs who are picking above us get a little taste and maybe the stooge can actually make a good pick.

if it ain't j. jones then he's a failure.

hey, robert gallery was a great pick (raiders) so was mike powell, steve everitt and foote (i collected all their cards thinking they would be somebody)......

what's the guy 1 out of 25 average?

hope he slathered some cock while he was out of action and get some of his 'down low' buddies some blackmail gay photos on draft day.

hey. we should get WRRebel to take him down south (if you know what i mean) and show him some good stang. hope the GMs who are picking above us get a little taste and maybe the stooge can actually make a good pick.

if it ain't j. jones then he's a failure.

Like you didn't know

(2) - Calvin Johnson

(3) - Joe Thomas

(6) - LaRon Landry

(7) - Adrian Peterson

(11) - Patrick Willis

(12) - Marshawn Lynch

(14) - Darrelle Revis

(18) - Leon Hall

(23) - Dwayne Bowe

(25) - Jon Beason

(28) - Joe Staley

(29) - Ben Grubbs

Why did you leave Timmons off that list? I get Harrell and Jarvis Moss.

Why did you leave Timmons off that list? I get Harrell and Jarvis Moss.

Well, it seems that that draft was the best of times, the worst of times.

In addition to Russell, the following 1st round picks from that draft are no longer active in the league according to PFR: Gains Adams (who died), Levi Brown, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzales, Justin Harrell and Jarvis Moss. I don't know if it is that unusual to have so many high draft picks shucked to the wayside only 5-6 years later.

(and I suspect that Timmons was left off because he was only listing those who made the Pro Bowl, which Timmons hasn't.)

Beyond that, that 2007 draft was pretty loaded with potential HOFers, such as:

Calvin Johnson: All Pro 2, Pro Bowl 3

Joe Thomas: All Pro 3, Pro Bowl 6

Adrian Peterson: All Pro 3 PB 5

Patrick Willis: AP 5, PB 6

Marshawn Lynch: AP 1, PB 3

Darrelle Revis: AP 3, PB 4

Jon Beason: AP 1, PB 3

Joe Staley: AP 0 PB 2

Beyond that, that 2007 draft was pretty loaded with potential HOFers, such as:

Calvin Johnson: All Pro 2, Pro Bowl 3

Joe Thomas: All Pro 3, Pro Bowl 6

Adrian Peterson: All Pro 3 PB 5

Patrick Willis: AP 5, PB 6

Marshawn Lynch: AP 1, PB 3

Darrelle Revis: AP 3, PB 4

Jon Beason: AP 1, PB 3

Joe Staley: AP 0 PB 2

The first four guys with a continuation of the way they're playing now are locks IMO. Heck, there's pretty much no argument that the top four are the best at their position in the NFL and all came out of the same draft class.

In addition to Russell, the following 1st round picks from that draft are no longer active in the league according to PFR: Gains Adams (who died), Levi Brown, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzales, Justin Harrell and Jarvis Moss. I don't know if it is that unusual to have so many high draft picks shucked to the wayside only 5-6 years later.

(and I suspect that Timmons was left off because he was only listing those who made the Pro Bowl, which Timmons hasn't.)

Got ya. Timmons should have made it twice, he's been snubbed both times, especially this season.

I've always said even in the first round it's a 33\33\33 proposition. You get 1\3 stars, 1\3 OK players, and 1\3 busts. What's killed the Browns since '99 is having an inordinate number of high first round busts, with guys that will go into the HOF still on the board.

I've always said even in the first round it's a 33\33\33 proposition. You get 1\3 stars, 1\3 OK players, and 1\3 busts. What's killed the Browns since '99 is having an inordinate number of high first round busts, with guys that will go into the HOF still on the board.

Or, in the Browns case that year, it was 50/50. They got a potentiall HOFer in JT in that first round, and an apparent bona fide bust in BQ later on.

Yea, he was snubbed...because better players were chosen.

Ray Lewis got in because he said he's retiring after the season and he's Ray Lewis. Timmons was snubbed this year, period. You didn't even look to see who made it this year I'd wager. Johnson had a nice year but Lewis with 57 tackles and a sack? Get the hell out of here. Timmons had 106 tackles, 6 sacks and 3 int's, one of which was for a touchdown and 2 forced fumbles. Timmons got snubbed just like he did in 2010.

Jamarcus Russell could be the one QB who would be worse than picking up Derek Anderson. In terms of the best free agent QB, you might as well go with Flacco. Besides, it would make for a helluva season with the Browns stealing the Ravens QB (and possibly the Super Bowl winning QB). The runner up in the QB department (and I don't think he's a free agent) would be Alex Smith. One way or another the 49'ers have to be unloading him and he'll likely be cheaper than Flacco.

Jamarcus Russell could be the one QB who would be worse than picking up Derek Anderson. In terms of the best free agent QB, you might as well go with Flacco. Besides, it would make for a helluva season with the Browns stealing the Ravens QB (and possibly the Super Bowl winning QB). The runner up in the QB department (and I don't think he's a free agent) would be Alex Smith. One way or another the 49'ers have to be unloading him and he'll likely be cheaper than Flacco.

Russell is a no brainer to stay away from. Flacco's agent is already talking franchise QB money, and the Browns at least aren't paying it.

Smith will get dumped- and if Chud isn't convinced about Weeden he's the best (and probably cheapest) alternative. I did say best- Russell will have to prove himself in the CFL before any team will give him a sniff.

Flacco's agent is already talking franchise QB money, and the Browns at least aren't paying it.

Why? Flacco's made some helluva good passes during this years play-offs. Yeah, he won't be talked about as a top 5 QB, but he's no worse than top 10. Why not spend some money and improve the QB position? What's wrong with Flacco that the Browns won't shell out big bucks for...the Browns probably have the most money to spend of all the NFL teams.

What sense does it make to court Derek Anderson when you could potentially have Flacco? You weaken the division champ and improve your team. The Browns finally generate some buzz after failing with RGIII. (I have the feeling the Ravens may franchise Flacco, but if they don't make a splash and quit playing the pathetic "we want a cheap ass QB" card).

Why? Flacco's made some helluva good passes during this years play-offs. Yeah, he won't be talked about as a top 5 QB, but he's no worse than top 10. Why not spend some money and improve the QB position? What's wrong with Flacco that the Browns won't shell out big bucks for...the Browns probably have the most money to spend of all the NFL teams.

What sense does it make to court Derek Anderson when you could potentially have Flacco? You weaken the division champ and improve your team. The Browns finally generate some buzz after failing with RGIII. (I have the feeling the Ravens may franchise Flacco, but if they don't make a splash and quit playing the pathetic "we want a cheap ass QB" card).

I'm not courting Anderson- but Lumburgh still is. :)

Even if the Ravens don't win the SB, it's going to take Franchise money + to pry Flacco away from the Ratbirds. Why on earth would he want to leave a SB team to come to the Browns, unless the Browns offer him Franchise money +? If I were Joe, I'd take a hometown discount to stay put.

My .02 is if Chud doesn't think Weeden is the answer, I'd go after Alex Smith. He'll come a damnsite cheaper, and the dropoff in talent isn't worth the extra $5-7 million.

PS- just heard- to no one's surprise the Bungles top the cap room list- at $55 million. They also have a bunch of FAs they need to retain.

Archived