THE BROWNS BOARD

Interested In What We Do At Te

cribbs is the man

Ive read numerous places about both Chud and Norv's love for the tight end position. That being said, Im interested with how they handle the position here. Ben Watson is solid, but is a free agent and was a Heckert guy. I hope we resign him because he shouldnt be expensive and I feel that he is a good veteran presence/leader in the locker room; he still should have a few years left in the tank. I really really like Jordan Cameron and hope that the new coaches develop him well, but will his blocking ever improve at this point? Alex Smith and Smelley...whatever.

Although I am not complaining at all about taking Josh Gordon with our 2013 2nd round pick, it really is going to limit us on draft day. There will obviously be a huge gap between our first and second pick (barring a trade), and we cant pick up a need player (like a CB, or OG, or FS or whatever the brass identifies) in the second round. This may affect us in drafting a quality tight end if the coaches really want one. Or do we resign Watson and ride that wave a bit longer? Free agents?

Ive read numerous places about both Chud and Norv's love for the tight end position. That being said, Im interested with how they handle the position here. Ben Watson is solid, but is a free agent and was a Heckert guy. I hope we resign him because he shouldnt be expensive and I feel that he is a good veteran presence/leader in the locker room; he still should have a few years left in the tank. I really really like Jordan Cameron and hope that the new coaches develop him well, but will his blocking ever improve at this point? Alex Smith and Smelley...whatever.

Although I am not complaining at all about taking Josh Gordon with our 2013 2nd round pick, it really is going to limit us on draft day. There will obviously be a huge gap between our first and second pick (barring a trade), and we cant pick up a need player (like a CB, or OG, or FS or whatever the brass identifies) in the second round. This may affect us in drafting a quality tight end if the coaches really want one. Or do we resign Watson and ride that wave a bit longer? Free agents?

If they are smart they'll resign Watson the guy has amazing hands and does everything well. I wouldn't mind drafting a TE in later rounds either.

Ben isn't the biggest TE which is probably his only limitation at 6-3. Ideally in a "Vertical downfield" offense your gonna want your tight end with some height to have the ability to create match-up problems for the defense.

Needless to say Watson definitely had the trust of Weeden and should be utilized going forward in 2 TE sets. Moving forward, Cameron is gonna have to shine be the 1 guy and/or they're gonna pick someone who "they" like in draft.

I dont see us bringing back Watson unless he signs a cheap 1 or 2 year deal. He has lost a step and the chud loves him some athletic tes.

If chud doesnt think Cameron is ready to be the guy I could see him making a strong push for Jared Cook if hes available. This seems like the most logical scenario.

Another route is to go through the draft, but i dont care for this crop of tes. Fauria from ucla is a great red zone threat but from what i have watched of him it appears he is a bit soft. So unless there is a small school prospect i havent seen yet i think free agency or staying with what we have is our best move.

Eifert seems like he would fit nice but wouldnt work with us not having a early 2nd round pick where he would probably fall if not earlier. One guy I think projects really well with this style of offense would be Stoneburner from OSU. I'm not and OSU fan but he seems like a great fit seeing as they used him for everything from TE, to WR, to H back, he's 6-5 and runs a decent 4.7 40 yd dash, I see him being there in late rounds, could be a steal. Other guys I really like are Travis Kelce; Cincinnati, and Joseph Fauria; UCLA, all are great receiving TE's and would love to see any of them on our roster.

Eifert seems like he would fit nice but wouldnt work with us not having a early 2nd round pick where he would probably fall if not earlier. One guy I think projects really well with this style of offense would be Stoneburner from OSU. I'm not and OSU fan but he seems like a great fit seeing as they used him for everything from TE, to WR, to H back, he's 6-5 and runs a decent 4.7 40 yd dash, I see him being there in late rounds, could be a steal. Other guys I really like are Travis Kelce; Cincinnati, and Joseph Fauria; UCLA, all are great receiving TE's and would love to see any of them on our roster.

He is too much or a tweener and his nick name is Stonehandsburner.

Ben isn't the biggest TE which is probably his only limitation at 6-3. Ideally in a "Vertical downfield" offense your gonna want your tight end with some height to have the ability to create match-up problems for the defense.

Needless to say Watson definitely had the trust of Weeden and should be utilized going forward in 2 TE sets. Moving forward, Cameron is gonna have to shine be the 1 guy and/or they're gonna pick someone who "they" like in draft.

when did shurmer EVER let a TE run downfield?

DUMB.

TE is the least of our problems.

start a thread about depth at linebacker, cb or safety. then you'll get my attention.

until then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's fine you don't need to waste your time. But I started a thread on TE because we may have the answer on our team. Everyone knows we need to pick up a cb and OLB from somewhere else. Those are gaping needs that we don't have servicible ppl on our roster to fill.

That's fine you don't need to waste your time. But I started a thread on TE because we may have the answer on our team. Everyone knows we need to pick up a cb and OLB from somewhere else. Those are gaping needs that we don't have servicible ppl on our roster to fill.

and all i'm saying is TE is not one of those 'gaping needs'.

and all i'm saying is TE is not one of those 'gaping needs'.

No, but it might be A need. Right now the TEs on the Browns roster are:

Jordan Cameron

Alex Smith, listed as TE/FB

Brad Smelley, listed as strictly a TE

Watson....though he will soon be a FA

Bryan George??? practice squad

Dan Gronkowski reserve/future list....whatever that is.

No, TE may be an issue.

No, but it might be A need. Right now the TEs on the Browns roster are:

Jordan Cameron

Alex Smith, listed as TE/FB

Brad Smelley, listed as strictly a TE

Watson....though he will soon be a FA

Bryan George??? practice squad

Dan Gronkowski reserve/future list....whatever that is.

No, TE may be an issue.

Watson is solid, but like you said, a free agent.

So it all comes down to what one thinks of Jordan Cameron.

Or, more importantly, what Chud and Norv think of JC.

He's tall and athletic, but not real beefy.

He went from 6 catches his first year to 20 last year, so he could be ready to emerge ...

But considering the offense of Chud and Norv in the past ... we will be getting a real fullback and a significant influx of talent at TE

Zombo

Watson is solid, but like you said, a free agent.

So it all comes down to what one thinks of Jordan Cameron.

Or, more importantly, what Chud and Norv think of JC.

He's tall and athletic, but not real beefy.

He went from 6 catches his first year to 20 last year, so he could be ready to emerge ...

But considering the offense of Chud and Norv in the past ... we will be getting a real fullback and a significant influx of talent at TE

Zombo

How about Martellus Bennett TE from the Giants.Draft Joseph Fauria from UCLA in round 6 or 7.

Archived