THE BROWNS BOARD

Brandon Weedon Better Next Year

Browns57

Maybe it is just because I am an analytical guy, or maybe it is because I couldn't stand watching the incompetence of Pat Shurmur last year. But whatever the reason is I enjoyed this artical by Terry Pluto and I think even beyond the numbers there are reasons to have a lot of hope for a great offensive display in 2013! Read the article.

My link

Great article....and I think it's right on the money. It was the problem with Shurmur and Holmgren and the rest of them. They had their system and anyone coming to play for the Browns had to learn that system or they wouldn't play here. In reality...McCoy was probably a better fit for Shurmurs offense although not by much. I think we're going to see a huge improvement from Weeden with a different set of coaches and play calling next season.

Pluto is always very good, though in this case he is being the master of the obvious.

Anyone that watched the Browns last year knew that Weeden didn't fit Shurmur's system. I am not sure even Joe Montana would have fit Shurmur's system, and he was the prototypical WCO QB. Shurmur couldn't coach.

I expect Weeden to be much better next year....more experience, an offense that fits his style, etc.

But, of course, we are getting feelers that Lombardi doesn't like Weeden. Well, frack off Lombardi, that is why no one trusts your judgment.

At this point I am more interested in Chud's and Turner assessment of how Weeden can run THEIR offense.

Lombardi will NOT dictate to them the style of offense they will run. His job is to get the players for Chud that fit what he wants to do....and right now I cannot help but think that Weeden could be very good in the Chud/Turner system.

Hell...Alex Smith would probably have been better running the Holmgren/Shurmur offense than the Chud offense, though he didn't do bad in that spread option thing. I don't think that is the style of offense, per se, that is going to be run here.

As I said in the other thread, I'm honestly just hoping they make the decision early and stick to it. I'm all in favor for competition in most every position in the NFL, but not QB. Use whatever saying you want but an NFL team comes and goes by the QB position. That guy needs to know from day one it's his team and build the rapport with the offense. I'm with you guys, I think Weeden can be really good in this system. But if for some reason they don't think he's the guy, trade/draft who you want and give him the first team reps from day one.

The coaching and scheme changes aren't as much of a concern to me as factors such as the guard position and the footwork/pocket abilities of Weeden coming into next year, BUT considering he will be in the shotgun more makes that aspect better. And another receiver in the mix as well for competition to the current starters.

Keep Weeden another season at least. Let him be a leader, he has professional sports experience, which IS worth allot. Can't help but think Shurmur never respected Weeden's ability, nor McCoy's which is just another reason Shurmur will not be good anywhere. The guy has little confidence that the players can be as much a part of the team's success (with their own input and decisions) as the coach. Norv has been around allot longer and seems much smarter. What baffles me is why, with the tracking capabilities teams have now, would they continue to use a failing system ? Surely the points this article bring out were able to be viewed during teh season as well. Not as much as hindsight, but even during the use, they couldn't see Weeden's capabilities and what his habits were and change their theme ? Dumb coaching, dumb management. Cannot say at this point Weeden will be the future of this team, but he definitely shows the most promise we've seen and read than anyone over the last several years.

Really looking forward to 2013 / 14 season, can't start soon enough !

Suck for johnny football?

Johnny Football does not fit our scheme in the slightest and won't have the same season next year as he did this year. He has some great tools, but he's an undersized, scrambling dink-and-dunker. Think Drew Brees with a smaller arm but more maneuverable.

He's Colt McCoy, if Colt McCoy didn't suck.

For the system we had under Shurmur, he'd be great. Not so much in Chud's offense.

Johnny Football does not fit our scheme in the slightest and won't have the same season next year as he did this year. He has some great tools, but he's an undersized, scrambling dink-and-dunker. Think Drew Brees with a smaller arm but more maneuverable.

He's Colt McCoy, if Colt McCoy didn't suck.

For the system we had under Shurmur, he'd be great. Not so much in Chud's offense.

Sorry but i disagree with everything you said.

Colt is not as fast and less arm.

Red shirt freshman beat #1 bama the kid was playing high school ball the year before i honestly cant see his numbers getting worse.

I dont know if anyone knows what chuds "offense" is. Are we going to see the 2007 version , or the spread option scrambling qb version? With that being said would it be fair to say that he fits his system to the Qb?

Sorry but i disagree with everything you said.

Colt is not as fast and less arm.

Red shirt freshman beat #1 bama the kid was playing high school ball the year before i honestly cant see his numbers getting worse.

I dont know if anyone knows what chuds "offense" is. Are we going to see the 2007 version , or the spread option scrambling qb version? With that being said would it be fair to say that he fits his system to the Qb?

Their arm strength is about the same, but Manziel's mobility is better.

As for the Alabama game, people seem to forget that the Texas A&M defense forced three turnovers on the Crimson Tide, converting two into touchdowns and the last one to save an inevitable Alabama comeback.

And he wasn't playing high school ball the year before, because he was redshirted. This will be his third year of college.

It's well know what Chud's offense is. It's a vertical passing attack reliant on TE's coupled with a strong running game. That's what we ran in 2007, that's what the Panthers ran last season, and that's what they ran the second half of this season after the cutesy read option proved to be ineffective.

It's fair to say Chud adapts to his QB's strengths but the common denominator of all of his QB's has been a cannon arm.

Their arm strength is about the same, but Manziel's mobility is better.

As for the Alabama game, people seem to forget that the Texas A&M defense forced three turnovers on the Crimson Tide, converting two into touchdowns and the last one to save an inevitable Alabama comeback.

And he wasn't playing high school ball the year before, because he was redshirted. This will be his third year of college.

It's well know what Chud's offense is. It's a vertical passing attack reliant on TE's coupled with a strong running game. That's what we ran in 2007, that's what the Panthers ran last season, and that's what they ran the second half of this season after the cutesy read option proved to be ineffective.

It's fair to say Chud adapts to his QB's strengths but the common denominator of all of his QB's has been a cannon arm.

Well since D.A was claimed off waivers by savage in '05 and chud wasn't part of the team until '07 and carolina drafting cam #1 overall was a no brainer its more of a fluke that they both happen to have good arms.

But you have to admit manzel played one hell of a game against the tide, kept his composure and another reason he won the Heisman.

that all being said if ginger stick still keeps telegraphing his passes and giving up horrible field possesion with ints, let alone pick 6's, and looking like a victim trying to audible out of a play etc. etc.... major off season for him.

it really sucks that the nfl is that way, but if you can't prove yourself in 3 years...you're a goner.

I expect a lot of early interceptions by Weeden followed by a midseason blockbuster game in which Weeden shatters the Browns passing yardage/game record. He'll finish the season with a YPG average of near 300, but will have 18+ INTs.

I also sudden boom of production from Jordan Cameron by week 5.

I also expect a decline in Gordon's catches but an increase in both yardage and TD's.

I also expect an increase in Richardson's carries and TD's but a slight decrease in his YPC.

I expect a lot of early interceptions by Weeden followed by a midseason blockbuster game in which Weeden shatters the Browns passing yardage/game record. He'll finish the season with a YPG average of near 300, but will have 18+ INTs.

I also sudden boom of production from Jordan Cameron by week 5.

I also expect a decline in Gordon's catches but an increase in both yardage and TD's.

I also expect an increase in Richardson's carries and TD's but a slight decrease in his YPC.

same here.

i think gordon and little surpass everone's expectations and become a top ten receiving duo.

even though it might look ugly, richardson will get his 1k rushing next year.

BIG Weedz fan. !! i predict he's gonna have a big year in 2013.

(>> Gordon too. Little i'm backpedaling a bit on...but hope he does as well. Norwoods my 3rd by a mile.)

pretty decent Pluto article, really nothing most of us didn't know tho. i was however enlightened only Shaub took more passes from under center than BW.

a pure shotgun guy at OSU and shrrrmmmmrrr couldn't tailor the O to him any better than that???

talk about horrible handling of a rookie. the inflexible hit the revolving door in today's NFL...which is why i'm especially excited about the Chud hire.

dude is current, relevant, adaptive, and aggressive. home run thinker with a couple home run players on the field >> a damn good start.

should be a fun off-season to sit back and watch them evolve. 7-9 or 8-8. bank it! k gotta split...got kool-aid all over muh face.

same here.

i think gordon and little surpass everone's expectations and become a top ten receiving duo.

even though it might look ugly, richardson will get his 1k rushing next year.

I'm feeling the same thing. I can see Gordon as our big play receiver a la 2007 Braylon, and Little will benefit from that. I feel a Jennings/Driver situation emerging.

And I think Richardson is gonna grind out a gross 1,000 as well. Nothing spectacular, but he'll have a handful of solid runs as well as many 2-3 yard chain movers.

that all being said if ginger stick still keeps telegraphing his passes and giving up horrible field possesion with ints, let alone pick 6's, and looking like a victim trying to audible out of a play etc. etc.... major off season for him.

it really sucks that the nfl is that way, but if you can't prove yourself in 3 years...you're a goner.

Well, you apparently seem to belive that if you can't prove yourself in one year you are a goner....or at least it seems that many on here believe that.

If that was the case then Peyton Manning, Bret Favre, Eli Manning, Tom Brady and just about every good QB out there woulda/should been a goner. (I guess Favre was....traded after his first year by Atlanta).

So, I don't know. It seems like a lot of you are looking for fool's gold, or at least a quick fix.

( ^^^^^^ reads "he was a gawd damn rookie fer krist sake!")

Weedz will be just fine. i'm thinkin it's about time for another orange jersey...and a Dawson, Thomas, D'qwell etc etc. found em for $21.59 free ship if i get ten or more (!). nike "official" stitched and everything >> hell at that price i won't even have to repeat one all year. hahaha!!

( ^^^^^^ reads "he was a gawd damn rookie fer krist sake!")

Weedz will be just fine. i'm thinkin it's about time for another orange jersey...and a Dawson, Thomas, D'qwell etc etc. found em for $21.59 free ship if i get ten or more (!). nike "official" stitched and everything >> hell at that price i won't even have to repeat one all year. hahaha!!

yeah i don't think that's an official jersey for $21.59

Are you sure it don't say nikie on it?

Archived