THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency 2013 Edition

Erie Dawg

With the start of free agency starting in about a month, let’s look at our team needs and how they should be addressed.

My opinion of needs from greatest to least

1)Line backer. Obvious because the move back to the 3-4.

2)Safety- Cornerback. While Joe Haden had his lapse in judgment early in the season it was obvious we were thin in the secondary. And with Skrine seemingly getting penalized every time he took the field we need some playmakers to shore up the def. backfield. With Ray Horton (former CB) now the D.C. may be able to teach some of these young guys already on the roster better technique. I think Buster has the skills he just has to quit relying on his biggest asset, speed.

3) Tight End . Like TCPO has brought up chud likes to run to run a lot of 2 tight end sets and with the age of Watson and the uncertainty of Cameron, and Gronkowski able to step up and fill the role we are weak in this area as well.

4) Wide Receiver. I like who we have all around except I would like to see us bring in a slot type receiver that we can count on for those tough 3rd downs. Such as what we had with Joe Jurevicious. Amendola, Welker,or Harvin in FA?

5) Quarterback. Honestly the future of Brandon Weeden is still yet to be determined, and with the front office stating weeds isn’t the starter, who we bring in is still up in the air as well. And now we have the Flacco rumor heating up, honestly I can’t see giving up 2 firsts for him and that kind of cash.

6) Offensive And, Defensive Line. A Guard and depth at this point.

7) Running Back. Change of pace type back T-Rich should be able to carry the load.

8) Kicker. Pay Dawson and be done with it.

NFL trade rumors has a nice list of Free agents and they keep up on adding them as they become available.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/

If you are looking for team by team salary cap numbers they also have a link for that also. The numbers are done by Clayton and have changed since players have started to be released.

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-team-cap-space-6/

My list

Line backers Guys I would like to see us in play for are

Dannell Ellerbe – BAL

Paul Kruger – BAL

Both solid and immediate impact players

Tight endsThe list is thin because I believe most of the big name talent will be resigned.

But with every new coach they seem to bring in some of there own. wouldn't surprise me to see either of these guys in camp.

BEN HARTSOCK car

GARY BARNIDGE car

Wide Receiver Like I said above I would love to see a veteran slot receiver come in.

Amendola, Welker, and (a big maybe on harvin) would be nice to have.

secondary Lots of talent here in FA, so with it being a large group of guys at safety and CB we may be able to find value, but they could also elect to stay with the home team also for a discount.

With the start of free agency starting in about a month, let’s look at our team needs and how they should be addressed.

Yea, we probably need at least 2. Of course, I suppose those one of those 2 could come from the likes of JMJ, Fort, Robertson. But at least one definite stud at OLB is necessary. Jarvis Jones?...what FA if any?

2)Safety- Cornerback. While Joe Haden had his lapse in judgment early in the season it was obvious we were thin in the secondary. And with Skrine seemingly getting penalized every time he took the field we need some playmakers to shore up the def. backfield. With Ray Horton (former CB) now the D.C. may be able to teach some of these young guys already on the roster better technique. I think Buster has the skills he just has to quit relying on his biggest asset, speed.

Ditto on these positions. Maybe instead of an LB like Jarvis they will go for like Dee Milliner? And the safety could come in the third round?

Or, again, you asked the question, what is the answer: What FA DBs are out there to upgrade the Browns at those positions?

3) Tight End . Like TCPO has brought up chud likes to run to run a lot of 2 tight end sets and with the age of Watson and the uncertainty of Cameron, and Gronkowski able to step up and fill the role we are weak in this area as well.

Hadn't thought about this being the Browns third most pressing need....but it very well may be now that I give it some thought. Reports are that Watson will no longer be here. If Chud/Norv are going to rely on the TE position then another beside Cameron will have to be obtained.

4) Wide Receiver. I like who we have all around except I would like to see us bring in a slot type receiver that we can count on for those tough 3rd downs. Such as what we had with Joe Jurevicious. Amendola, Welker,or Harvin in FA?

Agree, a Jurevicious type could be useful (or, isn't that what Greg Little will be?) Maybe Josh Cooper can turn into a Welker type. Same body type, same good hands. Maybe he just needs experience?

5) Quarterback. Honestly the future of Brandon Weeden is still yet to be determined, and with the front office stating weeds isn’t the starter, who we bring in is still up in the air as well. And now we have the Flacco rumor heating up, honestly I can’t see giving up 2 firsts for him and that kind of cash.

I believe the Flacco rumors are just there to force Baltimore to pay a high premium for him...and thereby weakening the rest of their roster with salary cap cuts. Yes, force those asswipes to have to give up Boldin, Kruger etc. The previous SB Champs Giants didn't make the playoffs. These suckers can stay at home as well.

Kruger might just fit in well here at OLB in the 3-4.

No faith in Pinkston/Lauvao/Ryan Miller?

7) Running Back. Change of pace type back T-Rich should be able to carry the load.

It would not hurt to get a Jacquizz Rogers/LaMichael James type in here. Hardesty may now serve fine as a backup, but he is not the scatback type that we might could use.

Agreed. But some say if we don't keep Dawson they might look toward Mike Nugent.

NFL trade rumors has a nice list of Free agents and they keep up on adding them as they become available.

If you are looking for team by team salary cap numbers they also have a link for that also. The numbers are done by Clayton and have changed since players have started to be released.

I know who the starter will be. Here's a hint: He's played for Chud for 5 years.

No way in fucking hell Joe Flacco is coming to Cleveland. But I am excited about Baltimore needing to dump players to pay his bloated salary demands. Losing Boldin will be huge.

Well that would be an instant slap in the face of the entire browns fan base. I have a feeling they are trying to put the best product on the field they can and DA has shit on both teams he ever started for.

I know he's your boy but why was he brought to carolina? Because he's just a touch better than pickles.

I agree with the Baltimore situation, but didn't Boldin say he would retire if not resigned?

My hierarchy goes in the same order you listed. I think our most pressing need is getting a solid interior linebacker as well as a good pass rushing outside linebacker. As it stands now, I have Sheard playing Jack for us, but I'd like to see us add another threat to the pass rush while not sacrificing coverage abilities.

I'd also like to see us go for a good ball-hawking safety. I believe our run support from the secondary is strong enough, we need someone with a nose for the ball. At the same time, adding a solid #2 corner would enable us to move Brown to FS, like some have been proposing for the last 2 seasons. I would rather us address the FS position through FA, but any move that makes us better I am okay with.

My dream scenario would be for us to offer Flacco a ridiculous contract, assuming he's not franchised. Something like the $100 million he wants, but set up where 2013 would require a large cap hit. The Ravens aren't going to let him walk, they can't do it. They'll have to forsake either Ellerbe or Kruger, and probably both.

I would say our first priority would be Ellerbe. He's proven to be a solid starter, and his skill set would drastically improve our defense. He's solid in every phase of the game, and is a perfect fit for an inside LB in the 3-4 defense. With DQ's propensity for cleaning up broken plays and Ellerbe's solid all-around play, we can then invest in a pure pass-rusher.

I would love our linebacking corps to look like this:

Will- Dannell Ellerbe

Mike-D'Qwell Jackson

Sam- Jabaal Sheard

Jack- Jarvis Jones

I would possibly switch Sheard and Jones based on how well Sheard makes the transition.

By adding Ellerbe and not Kruger, we would also have the cap space to acquire Jairus Byrd at Safety or Sean Smith at CB. It's much more likely that Smith will leave Miami, but Byrd isn't a lock for returning to Buffalo either.

Will- Dannell Ellerbe

Mike-D'Qwell Jackson

Sam- Jabaal Sheard

Jack- Jarvis Jones

I would possibly switch Sheard and Jones based on how well Sheard makes the transition.

By adding Ellerbe and not Kruger, we would also have the cap space to acquire Jairus Byrd at Safety or Sean Smith at CB. It's much more likely that Smith will leave Miami, but Byrd isn't a lock for returning to Buffalo either.

This makes a lot of sense

yea, we probably need at least 2. Of course, I suppose those one of those 2 could come from the likes of JMJ, Fort, Robertson. But at least one definite stud at OLB is necessary. Jarvis Jones?...what FA if any?

Kruger or Ellerbe

Ditto on these positions. Maybe instead of an LB like Jarvis they will go for like Dee Milliner? And the safety could come in the third round?

Or, again, you asked the question, what is the answer: What FA DBs are out there to upgrade the Browns at those positions?

im going to reseve judjment on milliner until the combine but as of now he's high on my list.

Hadn't thought about this being the Browns third most pressing need....but it very well may be now that I give it some thought. Reports are that Watson will no longer be here. If Chud/Norv are going to rely on the TE position then another beside Cameron will have to be obtained.

still a little tread left on watsons tires if need be

Agree, a Jurevicious type could be useful (or, isn't that what Greg Little will be?) Maybe Josh Cooper can turn into a Welker type. Same body type, same good hands. Maybe he just needs experience?

I believe the Flacco rumors are just there to force Baltimore to pay a high premium for him...and thereby weakening the rest of their roster with salary cap cuts. Yes, force those asswipes to have to give up Boldin, Kruger etc. The previous SB Champs Giants didn't make the playoffs. These suckers can stay at home as well.

Kruger might just fit in well here at OLB in the 3-4.

No faith in Pinkston/Lauvao/Ryan Miller?

I went to a few games this year and its either Mack calling bad blocking schemes or the interior linemen but it seemed we got gutted at times. I think it was the redskins game where weeds had alot of tipped balls. It seemed to me the D linemen got a slight push in on us and held there spots waiting for weeds to throw. So basically just waiting then jumping and swatting the ball down. If they can't feel that the d linemen are baiting then something is wrong. Make the mofo pay for jumping. But After the game weeds finally threw shurmur under the bus when a reporter asked "why so many batted balls this game"? Weeds says "well when the play call is constantly a 4 yd crossing route you cant get no arch on the ball." And I give the guy mad cred for making half those throws because where the receiver is at when he throws is crazy.

It would not hurt to get a Jacquizz Rogers/LaMichael James type in here. Hardesty may now serve fine as a backup, but he is not the scatback type that we might could use.

Kenyon barner is my thought but his stock is going to rise fast at the combine and will not be on the radar even when the 3rd round comes around

Agreed. But some say if we don't keep Dawson they might look toward Mike Nugent.

havent heard that but interesting...

Here are my Top 5 Targets

1) Jairus Byrd, FS

- Byrd would step in and compliment his old teammate very well. He is a premier player; always in the right place at the right time. Be the first to offer him a 5-Year, $35 Million contract. Puts him in line with the top paid safeties in the league, which he will get this offseason.

2) Jared Cook, TE

- Cameron may develop into a mismatch, but Cook could step in and become one right away. This offense will feature a Tight End and Cook is the best one available. I'd expect something along the lines of a 4-year, $18 million woul get the job done.

3) Greg Toler, CB

- This is a guy I believe will follow Horton here. I have him ranked as the third priority because of how obtainable he is. Toler allowed a 51.5 passer rating when he was thrown at, which would be great as a number two. This would allow the Browns to cross Milliner off their first round draft board.

4) Brad Jones, ILB

- Jones was an excellent inside linebacker for the Packers last year after Bishop went down and Hawk was average as usual. He would most likely compete with JMJ for the one of the two inside linebacker positions opposite of Jackson.

5) Tyson Jackson, DE*

- Jackson is not available yet, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will be cut loose with his ridiculous cap number (I believe its over $17 million). He is an underachiever, but has experience in the 3-4. He has versatility and decent athleticism. Maybe a change of scenery will help him; if not the Browns fill a need by grabbing a 3-4 DE.

I agree with number 1 completely. We need an intimidating Linebacker out there that forces an offense to account for. With DQ, and Sheard and Rubin and Taylor along with this new guy, offenses should have plenty to worry about! I didn't even mention Haden which brings me to your second need... Secondary. I think we MIGHT be able to get Tyrann Mathieu early in the third round which would give us Haden as the number 1 and Tyran in the slot, we would need to sign a FA Cornerback to challenge and force Sheldon Brown out to Free Safety.

Number 3- The TE. If we resign Watson we shouldn't need another TE except for depth. We'd have Watson, Cameron and Smelley. Which is a good group of guys that can do different things.

Wide Reciever, Quarterback and Runningback I PERSONALLY feel that we are good at those positions. WR is pretty stacked with a bunch of YOUNG GUNS comming of age. Colt and Weeden will duke it out for the number 1 and the other will be the number 2. Runningback- Trent Richardson 2.0 is going to be 5x better than the one we all seen this year. The guy is a MONSTER... I could go one about Trent for an hour but I'm tired and there's no use in beating a dead horse back to life...

We HAVE to RESIGN PHIL DAWSON and JOSH CRIBBS... if not, I've lost all faith in the Cleveland Browns to do the right thing. We honestly need to find a slobberknocker at FB and another Bruising Offensive Lineman on the interior... that's about it, besides getting ready for the Playoffs.

defense, even though ours was rated decently last year, has to be the #1 focal point in both FA and draft. LB, LB, FS, CB and DE.

if we don't (as usual) go after any FAs then that's how you have to draft. IMO.

I don't disagree with the positions all that much, I just disagree it has to be that order. I still want the best players available even if we sell out and draft for need.

I don't disagree with the positions all that much, I just disagree it has to be that order. I still want the best players available even if we sell out and draft for need.

yeah i just tossed up IMO our most dire needs. however, whenever we can get 'em it's fine with me.

Nice comments mdmuch. I especially like this comment, This would allow the Browns to cross Milliner off their first round draft board.

Not so much as it pertains to Millner as I would be fine getting him. I like it because it is imperative the Browns use free agency to be able to cross something off the list.

If you head in to the draft having not fixed anything, you are really limiting your ability to improve as a football team because you end up having to draft for needs, which limits your list of players.

Good teams don't pass up better players because they have to find someone to play a certain position.

Fill some needs in free agency so that you CAN build through the draft and get the best players you can find.

Heard on the radio, that most likely neither Byrd or Smith will be available. The reason was that Miami loves smith to much to let'em walk he will get paid and Buffalo has been making cuts and possibly more to free up enough to keep Byrd.

Heard on the radio, that most likely neither Byrd or Smith will be available. The reason was that Miami loves smith to much to let'em walk he will get paid and Buffalo has been making cuts and possibly more to free up enough to keep Byrd.

I figured Byrd was a lock to return, but didnt think Miami wanted to pay Smith as much as he thought he deserved.

Oh well. We can still possobly add Toler and another safety...say Goldson or Moore.

Archived