THE BROWNS BOARD

The Prospects @ 6.

PoeticG

Last year I went deep into the scouting process. Not so much this year, I'm just starting now...

It's that time of year again when we all break out our evaluation charts and give the upcoming prospects our best "Eyeball" exam. We read articles on their personalities and abilities, scrutinize many, many mock drafts from Mel Kiper to the 7-year-olds on Youtube. WalterFootball is a good spot to learn things about player rankings and stats. We'll watch highlights of players and take note of their competition and the system they are employed in. We'll listen to interviews and study raw gametape of players in highschool and compare the "jumps" they make from one level to the next and predict where the talent is going(some of us). Ultimately we will find a player that we believe will help The Cleveland Browns become winners and be exciting to watch on Gameday!

From the looks of it there is no real surefire Future Hall of Famer QB's coming out this year. There are a couple guys that a lot of people seem high on but nothing really worth throwing a couple future first rounders at. There are no Andrew Lucks or Peyton Mannings. Besides, the Browns have other areas to address this year and without a second rounder the process of picking the right player at 6 becomes so much more important as we won't be picking again until late in the second day. I'm not even going to consider going QB- I feel that it should be either Weeden or McCoy going forward, there is enough untapped potential there between the two of them from the previous regime that the current one will have their work cut out for them.

Runningback should not be involved either as we just dropped a heavy third overall on a great one last offseason. We have a future star on our hands as of right now and with the depth at the position with Hardesty coming along well, we need only focus on FullBacks and they don't go as high as runningbacks(Might there be a Great one in the Third or later rounds?).

Cashing in our second rounder early in the supplemental draft on Josh Gordon, who has turned out really well actually, he'd probably be mentioned as a late first rounder this year had he stayed in college, checking in another pick on a WR would seem to indicate an explosive offense. We could talk about whether to go offense or defense for days. I'd like to see us take the best player available as always. So if there is a WR that is like Calvin Johnson or an AJ Green we gotta take them even if we Need Linebackers or Cornerbacks. I'm not saying there is but you just can't pass on talent like that, agreed?

We could use an All-Pro LG or RG but at 6 is that something you'd really want to do, would the Brass even consider this with out a tradeback? Costanza didn't go until after our pick at 22... and that bugs me. We should have.... nevermind. Moving forward, I wouldn't consider a Guard or Center at six overall at this time. Although, the TE position is kinda an extension of the offensive line and we DO KNOW that the offense that Cleveland wants to run is reliant on quality play from the Tight End spot. So the question becomes, is there an option at TE that would compell us to make a TE that high of a pick? Is there an Antonio Gates in this draft? Is a TE even worth the Sixth Pick of the NFL Draft?

That's pretty much it for the offensive side of the ball- WR or TE. Slim-pickings on picking up improvement there. Which takes us to the Defensive side of the Ball. Here is area where we all feel that pretty much every position except for NT could use an upgrade. This could go a lot of ways and I haven't the time at this point to go into every position. I'll break down the individual spots later but for now I'm thinking Linebacker or Secondary. Franchise Linebackers being harder to land than ever before I'm hoping one will still be available at 6 overall. Getting a Clay Mathews Jr. at 6 would turn our franchise around. I've heard the Names Jones and Mingo but are they the real deal? Somebody to account for, somebody to strike fear into an offensive unit, somebody to not only scare a QB but to also minimize the TE threat. Who is it?

We have the 6th overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft... Who is it?

OLB.

We go OLB or we trade back and then go OLB. Taking a #2 CB is dumb, taking a G is dumb, taking anything other than OLB is dumb.

Of any position on the field that we need, OLB will have the biggest impact. An offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link, so taking one G would barely improve the line as we need two. A number #2 corner is just laughable at 6. As it is, corners are rarely influential in the run game, making something like 10% of the total tackles on run plays in the NFL. That takes away half of the game.

A truly elite OLB will be the catalyst that brings or team to the next level.

we need to start fresh and dump both weeden and TR. they were both not worth their value at said picks and underachieved greatly.

HA!! :lol:

just kiddin.

as TCPO has said we need a stud LB. i don't know about positioning and if we could move someone from inside to outside or vice versa but all i know is we need that above anything else. the problem is jarvis jones has the ? with the (spine/neck?) potential problem. that being said i think most teams are sold on him enough that he won't be there at six. so if milner is there do we take him? what about mingo even though he is a DE?

my thought is that even if we pass on someone at six and trade down to get a pick in the second, this draft is so stocked with defensive talent that even lombardi couldn't screw it up.

(we'll see. al i know is i'm a prayin').

Last year I went deep into the scouting process. Not so much this year, I'm just starting now...

It's that time of year again when we all break out our evaluation charts and give the upcoming prospects our best "Eyeball" exam. We read articles on their personalities and abilities, scrutinize many, many mock drafts from Mel Kiper to the 7-year-olds on Youtube. WalterFootball is a good spot to learn things about player rankings and stats. We'll watch highlights of players and take note of their competition and the system they are employed in. We'll listen to interviews and study raw gametape of players in highschool and compare the "jumps" they make from one level to the next and predict where the talent is going(some of us). Ultimately we will find a player that we believe will help The Cleveland Browns become winners and be exciting to watch on Gameday!

From the looks of it there is no real surefire Future Hall of Famer QB's coming out this year. There are a couple guys that a lot of people seem high on but nothing really worth throwing a couple future first rounders at. There are no Andrew Lucks or Peyton Mannings. Besides, the Browns have other areas to address this year and without a second rounder the process of picking the right player at 6 becomes so much more important as we won't be picking again until late in the second day. I'm not even going to consider going QB- I feel that it should be either Weeden or McCoy going forward, there is enough untapped potential there between the two of them from the previous regime that the current one will have their work cut out for them.

Runningback should not be involved either as we just dropped a heavy third overall on a great one last offseason. We have a future star on our hands as of right now and with the depth at the position with Hardesty coming along well, we need only focus on FullBacks and they don't go as high as runningbacks(Might there be a Great one in the Third or later rounds?).

Cashing in our second rounder early in the supplemental draft on Josh Gordon, who has turned out really well actually, he'd probably be mentioned as a late first rounder this year had he stayed in college, checking in another pick on a WR would seem to indicate an explosive offense. We could talk about whether to go offense or defense for days. I'd like to see us take the best player available as always. So if there is a WR that is like Calvin Johnson or an AJ Green we gotta take them even if we Need Linebackers or Cornerbacks. I'm not saying there is but you just can't pass on talent like that, agreed?

We could use an All-Pro LG or RG but at 6 is that something you'd really want to do, would the Brass even consider this with out a tradeback? Costanza didn't go until after our pick at 22... and that bugs me. We should have.... nevermind. Moving forward, I wouldn't consider a Guard or Center at six overall at this time. Although, the TE position is kinda an extension of the offensive line and we DO KNOW that the offense that Cleveland wants to run is reliant on quality play from the Tight End spot. So the question becomes, is there an option at TE that would compell us to make a TE that high of a pick? Is there an Antonio Gates in this draft? Is a TE even worth the Sixth Pick of the NFL Draft?

That's pretty much it for the offensive side of the ball- WR or TE. Slim-pickings on picking up improvement there. Which takes us to the Defensive side of the Ball. Here is area where we all feel that pretty much every position except for NT could use an upgrade. This could go a lot of ways and I haven't the time at this point to go into every position. I'll break down the individual spots later but for now I'm thinking Linebacker or Secondary. Franchise Linebackers being harder to land than ever before I'm hoping one will still be available at 6 overall. Getting a Clay Mathews Jr. at 6 would turn our franchise around. I've heard the Names Jones and Mingo but are they the real deal? Somebody to account for, somebody to strike fear into an offensive unit, somebody to not only scare a QB but to also minimize the TE threat. Who is it?

We have the 6th overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft... Who is it?

I don't think anyone in history has asked more rhetorical questions in one sitting since Socrates lived.

Dion Jordan should be the pick if hes available...Ohhh if there was ever a year to trade down...

He's the Oregon dude right? I watched his workout the other day...he's a little on the small side. Fast and everything but looks a bit small to play LB. I think he'll remind us of Wimbley who couldn't do anything but rush the passer.

Do we get Geno now the KC has traded for Alex Smith?

are you high?

we don't pick any QB this year. we've picked QB the last 2 drafts. this team needs much more attention in other positions.

just dumb. if weeden fails we draft next year in a better class (hopefully) of QBs. it's not the browns were a playoff team despite the play of the QB. sure it's one of the problems but not the only.

defense with the first pick. no doubt (unless it's a guard, i wouldn't be shocked seeing how heavy this draft is in defensive talent).

i say LB or safety.

Based on combine results and developments thus far, I'd expect Jordan, Milliner, and Jones to be taken before we pick.

That leaves us with Mingo, Hunt, and Ansah, the pass rushing "hybrids".

Honestly, I would take Hunt over Ansah at this point. They are both equally raw, but I think Hunt has higher upside being that he's physically larger and yet posted faster numbers than Ansah.

are you high?

we don't pick any QB this year. we've picked QB the last 2 drafts. this team needs much more attention in other positions.

just dumb. if weeden fails we draft next year in a better class (hopefully) of QBs. it's not the browns were a playoff team despite the play of the QB. sure it's one of the problems but not the only.

defense with the first pick. no doubt (unless it's a guard, i wouldn't be shocked seeing how heavy this draft is in defensive talent).

i say LB or safety.

I think you'll wish you had ate those words in a couple seasons when there's a couple Pro Bowl QB's from this year's draft.

No QB has pulled himself head and shoulders above the pack, I'll agree. But there are still some pretty impressive stat lines out there, along with some pretty solid combine performances.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Geno Smith have a Donovan McNabb-esque career. Nor will I be surprised if EJ Manuel turns out to become a solid franchise QB a la Daunte Culpepper. Same goes for Tyler Wilson.

The league isn't filled with Bradys, Mannings and Rodgers'. There's a stable of good QB's that weren't thought to be "all-stars" or consensus #1 picks. Hell, of the three I just mentioned, only one was a Top 20 pick.

For the record, I'm not advocating a QB pick at the 6 spot. But I wouldn't be entirely too upset if that happened, as long as it doesn't turn out to bite us in the dick.

Hunt didn't have the lateral mobility for me - Ansah is very adept at that - playing soccer. He can really move.

Hunt has that as a weakness...so they say....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/margus-hunt?id=2539310

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Tall, thick but athletic lineman with loads of potential. Much quicker than you’d expect off the snap given his size, and his long first step helps him pressure the outside shoulder of tackles when outside and win the gap at three-technique. Shows the ability to anchor from both the 3-tech and 5-tech spots. Has the speed to run the arm and beat tackles off the edge. Fast and strong hands stun his man, extends his arms to keep leverage. Uses his length very well to keep blockers off his body. Plays contain well on the edge, pops off his block and swallows backs with his strong upper body. Long strides eat a lot of grass when closing to the quarterback. Good closing speed. Will chase plays downfield. Height and length allow him to affect quarterbacks’ vision when unable to reach him; they also make him an ideal interior player on the field goal block team. Flashes the ability to come off the ball hard and low in short-yardage situations despite his height. Good natural strength – can anchor and shed even when he loses the leverage battle. Varies the tempo of his pass rush well once the offensive line overplays his speed rush.

WEAKNESSES Must be cognizant to play with bend due to his height, pops up off the snap and will stand upright during the play if tired, losing leverage. Agile for his size, but is still a linear athlete with questionable change of direction and flexibility. More mobile quarterbacks and quick running backs will elude him in the backfield. Turning the corner on his initial pass rush is a chore due to his bulk. Still learning the game, must find the ball consistently. Older than most prospects (will be 25). Doesn't bring his body when he tackles and subsequently misses a lot. Ineffective bull rush due to not playing with leverage and lacks counters when his initial move fails.

i'll be shocked as hell and sick to my stomach.

i guess some people don't understand that we have other positions of need and that we have drafted QB twice in the past 3 years. what do we just keep rolling the dice evry fuggin year til we get it right? or because it's a new regime they have to have their guy because the last regime didn't know what they were doing? when does this shit end?

Jones (if healthy), Jordan, Ansah, Mingo

No on Jones - that's the same genetic situation which forced Sterling Sharpe and others to retire early.

No on Mingo - he's simply not athletic enough for the top 6. He will go top 15, however.

I like Ansah over Jordan because Ansah is bigger. Jordan is relatively small -- and he will probably go #2 to Jacksonville anyway.

Since Milliner will go to Detroit at 5, the only other person we should be looking at is Richardson.. it's possible the Iggles don't take him at 4.

Werner is a 4-3 DE, not agile enough to play in space.

This won't be an offense pick, it's ridiculous to discuss Geno Smith/Eric Fisher as possibilities even if they're available.

No on Jones - that's the same genetic situation which forced Sterling Sharpe and others to retire early.

No on Mingo - he's simply not athletic enough for the top 6. He will go top 15, however.

I like Ansah over Jordan because Ansah is bigger. Jordan is relatively small -- and he will probably go #2 to Jacksonville anyway.

Since Milliner will go to Detroit at 5, the only other person we should be looking at is Richardson.. it's possible the Iggles don't take him at 4.

Werner is a 4-3 DE, not agile enough to play in space.

This won't be an offense pick, it's ridiculous to discuss Geno Smith/Eric Fisher as possibilities even if they're available.

Jones to me is the best defensive player in the draft. Would you not take Sterling Sharpe even knowing that he would have to retire a little early. If want to call Jones a gamble, I think it would be a stretch. Even if it was, he's a freak of a LB that I would gamble on

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to get the feeling that Jarvis Jones is going to be the pick. I just can't look past the numbers he put up last year, simply amazing feats and I think we could use him in the Middle next to Jackson...

I'm starting to get the feeling that Jarvis Jones is going to be the pick. I just can't look past the numbers he put up last year, simply amazing feats and I think we could use him in the Middle next to Jackson...

If we play him as an ILB then yes he would be very badass, I think he played mostly outside in college though. However he is a great football player and we need his ability to make plays. I just like the fact that there is finally a year where we are in position to grab someone worth a shit at the 6th pick, Haden not included. I have 10 on a trade down to 11 or 12 though. I will pay on the 1st game while tailgating with you crazy sons of bitches.

before the combine and everything else jarvis jones was a top ten pick. now he's rated in the mid-teens.

so, what, we'll over reach again this year on a player who most experts say will be lucky to break the top ten?

all you guys fall in love with these players for some reason, and i sure as hell don't get it unless you are 13 and are the pres of their fan club.

OUR FLIPPIN BIGGEST NEED ON THIS TEAM IS ANOTHER CORNER, GET IT?? WHO'S THE BEST CORNER IN THE DRAFT?? GET IT YET??

before the combine and everything else jarvis jones was a top ten pick. now he's rated in the mid-teens.

so, what, we'll over reach again this year on a player who most experts say will be lucky to break the top ten?

all you guys fall in love with these players for some reason, and i sure as hell don't get it unless you are 13 and are the pres of their fan club.

OUR FLIPPIN BIGGEST NEED ON THIS TEAM IS ANOTHER CORNER, GET IT?? WHO'S THE BEST CORNER IN THE DRAFT?? GET IT YET??

I was always partial to the corners in Winslow, Arizona

Arizona-Winslow-03.jpg

Archived