THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agents

darubes

According to the Plain Dealer:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns will pursue two of the biggest-name pass-rushers in free agency in Baltimore's Paul Kruger and Detroit's Cliff Avril, league sources told The Plain Dealer.

They're also likely to go after Raiders defensive tackle Desmond Bryant and Cardinals linebacker Quentin Groves, sources said.

Kruger, who helped the Ravens defeat San Francisco in the Super Bowl last month, will be one of the most sought-after pass-rushers on the market if the Ravens don't re-sign him by Tuesday. A second-round pick of the Ravens in 2009 out of Utah, Kruger (6-4, 270) had nine sacks in five starts at outside linebacker last season, and added 4.5 in the playoffs. Kruger could command as much as $9 million a year on the open market.

Avril, a defensive end, will also be a hot ticket come Tuesday. But the Browns might have the inside track, because their new defensive line coach Joe Cullen helped draft Avril, 26, in Detroit in 2008 and developed him as a rookie. That season, Avril led all rookies with six sacks and four forced fumbles.

Franchised by the Lions last season for almost $11 million a year, Avril, the former third-round pick out of Purdue, has averaged nearly 10 sacks a year over the past three seasons, including 9.5 in 2012 and 11 in 2011. Avril (6-3, 252) could play outside linebacker in Ray Horton's 3-4, multi-front scheme.

Groves, 28, played last season in Arizona for Horton, where he had four sacks in seven starts at left outside linebacker. A second-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2008 out of Auburn, Groves (6-3, 265) has also played for the Raiders (2010 and 2011).

Bryant, who was arrested Feb. 24th in Miami on a misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief, had four sacks in eight starts last season. He was originally signed by the Raiders as an undrafted free agent out of Harvard.

Teams can begin negotiating with other teams' free agents at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, and can begin signing them Tuesday.

The Cleveland Browns are moving into a new era in more than one way. From top to bottom everything is new, at least on the inside, for the Browns as they have a new owner, new general manager, new head coach and a new defensive scheme. Ray Horton’s new 3-4 defense has some holes in it right now but the team is hoping that those can be filled in free agency and the draft.

One piece of the new defense for the Browns is defensive line coach Joe Cullen used to be with the Detroit Lions, and coincidentally so did defensive end Cliff Avril. The Cleveland Plains-Dealer reports that the connection between Cullen and Avril shouldn’t be overlooked, as the ex-Lions pass rusher is on the list of free agent targets for the Browns. The paper also confirms the long standing suspicion that the Browns will target ex-Ravens linebacker Paul Kruger as well.

The Browns will pursue two of the biggest-name pass-rushers in free agency in Baltimore’s Paul Kruger and Detroit’s Cliff Avril, league sources told The Plain Dealer. They’re also likely to go after Raiders defensive tackle Desmond Bryant and Cardinals linebacker Quentin Groves, sources said.

However, while Avril makes sense on the surface in Cleveland, given his connection with Cullen and the Browns public demand for defenders in free agency, the 3-4 scheme clashes a bit with Avril’s style. Traditionally, edge rushers convert to outside linebackers in a 3-4 set and Avril may be looking at doing that very thing in Cleveland.

The fact that the Browns are interested in Kruger suggests that he’d play outside and Avril would be free to play defensive end, however if Baltimore signs both they could set up a defense that features both Kruger and Avril as opposite outside linebackers.

Both Avril and Kruger will be hot commodities come Friday when free agency unofficially opens, as both could have deals in place by the time free agency officially opens on Tuesday.

LOVE IT. And a first rounder DE. We will be stacked.

We are also rumored to be going after TE Jared Cook.

Dude, the barber shop forum is there for you to talk about Broadway. Do you want some cheese with that whine? It's the off season and we are talking football.

hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah. why not start another uniform thread if you don't like it?

Not sure I want Avril that much. He's going to the highest bidder which seems like it'll be a big mistake. Per Lion's fans, this guy wasn't anything until Suh came around requiring double teams. Also they say he can't stop the run worth shit, something we already suck at. Maybe at a decent price.

Not sure I want Avril that much. He's going to the highest bidder which seems like it'll be a big mistake. Per Lion's fans, this guy wasn't anything until Suh came around requiring double teams. Also they say he can't stop the run worth shit, something we already suck at. Maybe at a decent price.

Last season we didn't start either Winn or Hughes -- one was Sheard who's now playing OLB and the other was cut. Nothing wrong with getting the 5th guy in the rotation as a FA. Starting DL will be Hughes/Rubin/Taylor with Winn rotating in often. Bryant is good insurance at, what, 1M+. For the Ravens, Ngata actually lines up at the 3-4 DE spot, so Taylor at DE is exactly what we want due to his athleticism.

I have no idea how Avril will translate to OLB, hopefully he is athletic enough to cover TE's.. I'd guess he'll be asked to do moderately less run support than he was in DET. If Kruger is on the other side, perhaps they'll ask Kruger to do more of the run support than Avril.

10 Free Agent Bargains and Potential Busts according to Chris Burke of SI.com

Nothing can be decided in the NFL until teams take the field in September, of course, but often contenders are separated from pretenders during the span from the start of free agency until the close of the draft.

We’ll hit that portion of the calendar on March 12, when the free-agent market opens. From there, teams will have about six and a half weeks to get their houses in order before the three-day NFL Draft.

The teams that contend consistently do their best work in this approaching window. And those that attack free agency most competently know that the trick is not simply to spend, but to spend well.

So, which players will wind up paying off as smart acquisitions this offseason and which will lead to buyer’s remorse? A look at 10 potential bargains and 10 possible busts from this year’s free-agent class:

Bargains

Victor Butler, OLB: With the Cowboys sliding to a 4-3 defense, the pass-rushing Butler was an odd man out, and that might be another team’s gain. The 25-year-old Butler has been just a backup thus far — the 300 snaps he saw action on in 2012 marked a career high — but there is reason to believe he could handle a starting gig.

Brad Jones, LB: Jones, like the rest of the Packers’ defense, probably was at his worst in the playoff loss to San Francisco. Still, he started 10 regular-season games for Green Bay in 2012 and finished with 77 tackles (third-most on the team). Jones also graded out as the Packers’ fifth-best defensive player last season on Pro Football Focus. Jones is versatile enough to be valuable in just about any scheme.

Israel Idonije, DE: At 32, Idonije delivered 7.5 sacks in his eighth season with the Bears — and did so on a tidy $2.5 million contract. “He’s done a number of good things and had a number of good games both outside and inside,” Chicago GM Phil Emery said during the combine.

Fred Davis, TE: Coming off an Achilles injury, Davis may wind up back in Washington. But in a league that increasingly values productive tight ends, Davis could be a nice, affordable signing for a team willing to roll the dice. He had a 59-catch, 796-yard season in 2011, while playing just 12 games. If Davis can stay on the field, he’ll put up numbers.

Josh Cribbs, WR: Cribbs finished third in the league in kickoff-return yardage last season and caught a mere seven passes, so maybe he’s strictly a special teams player now. I still think there’s more in the tank elsewhere — and if Cribbs lands with a team creative enough to incorporate him into the offense, he’s still young enough (29) and athletic enough to hit a few home runs.

Sammie Lee Hill, DT: While all the focus on the Lions’ D-line fell on Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and others, Hill quietly went about his business for the past four seasons. He really thrived in the previous three, after shifting to more of a part-time role following a 2009 in which he started as an overmatched rookie. Any team needing some interior line help would be wise to consider the 331-pounder.

Greg Toler, CB: Toler was a top-15 cornerback in coverage last season, according to Pro Football Focus, ranking three spots ahead of teammate Patrick Peterson. Of course, Toler played only 308 snaps and missed all of 2011 with an ACL injury, so he would constitute a gamble as a starting CB. But, if his play is any indication, a worthy one.

Corey Lynch, S: The Chargers signed Lynch away from Tampa Bay prior to 2012 looking for little more than depth at safety and some special-teams help. Lynch provided that, then delivered steady play as a starter late in the season after Atari Bigby fell with an injury.

Mike DeVito, DE: You could make a case that aside from a healthy Darrelle Revis, DeVito has been the Jets’ most consistent defender for the past four seasons or so. Capable of playing in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, DeVito should find a home as a starter.

Donald Thomas, G: The Patriots will miss Thomas if he leaves — he stepped in and started seven games last season, after fighting for his roster spot during camp. He’s an athletic interior lineman, so he might appeal to teams that utilize some zone-read principles.

Busts

Andre Smith, OT: Smith was my first pick in SI’s Free-Agent Mock Draft earlier this week, so I don’t exactly anticipate his performance falling off a cliff next season. But teams must be wary of a player who carries questions about his conditioning and work ethic, then shines in a contract year.

Jermon Bushrod, OT: A Pro Bowl tackle in 2011 and 16-game starter each of the past three seasons, Bushrod has developed into a very solid tackle. The problem is he might be looking for top-tackle money — and he would be hard-pressed to repay that kind of investment.

LaRon Landry, S: Not only did Landry somewhat surprisingly make it through 2012 without missing a game, but also he managed to notch a Pro Bowl bid. How confident will teams be that either situation will repeat itself? Landry reportedly wants $6 million per year on his new contract, which would put him among the top six or seven highest-paid safeties.

Michael Turner, RB: This all depends on the level of commitment made to Turner by his new team. If he winds up with a role suiting his current skill set — i.e. a part-time back capable of grinding out some short yardage — then he won’t warrant a spot on this list. Any team hoping against hope that he’s capable of carrying the load as a No. 1 back will be disappointed.

John Abraham, DE: Another veteran ex-Falcon … and Abraham’s situation is not dissimilar to Turner’s. Abraham, who will be 35 in May, led the Falcons with 10 sacks and 38 QB hurries, both strong numbers. So, it’s a bit of a red flag that they cut him anyway, despite a rather reasonable $4.25 million salary. Abraham can still produce but, like Turner, will only be worth the cost in the right situation — for him, one that lets him pass rush while seeing limited action on first and second downs.

Sean Smith, CB: The potential is there for Smith to be a shut-down cornerback in this league. We even get to see that level of performance from time to time, like when Smith picked off two passes in a Week 4 matchup against Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals. Why he’s here, though, is that Smith frequently falls into bouts of inconsistent play, and that won’t pair well with the lucrative deal he’s sure to get.

Bryant McKinnie, OT: McKinnie lost his starting job in Baltimore back in training camp and only regained it in time for that magical playoff run. The 33-year-old veteran certainly deserves kudos for stepping up in crunch time. That said, McKinnie was benched prior to that for a reason, and he’s on the downside of his long career.

Mike Wallace, WR: It’s understandable to have major questions about Wallace, who, on paper, probably is the jewel of this free-agent class. That standing combined with a plethora of teams in need of a No. 1 receiver means Wallace will get paid. He often appeared unmotivated last season, though, so what will his mindset be once he cashes in a monster paycheck?

Aqib Talib, CB: Talib played an integral role for the Patriots late last season, and his postseason injury clearly helped lead to the team’s demise. Talib, 27, revitalized his career after arriving in New England. But he still has a lot of off-field issues on his resume for a player that likely will command a hefty deal.

Charles Woodson, DB: How much does Woodson have left in the tank? Based on his play in an injury-plagued 2012, not much. Woodson needs to be willing to take on a reduced role in 2013 and any team that signs him must accentuate his strengths. Otherwise, Woodson’s career could have a very disheartening final chapter.

What up, Browns Board?!!!!

Browns are going big, I think, adding to a pretty strong base of strong talent: CB and pass rusher are the priorities. After that, 5-tech DE, RG, TE, maybe WR.

It's all coming down to whether or not the team is ready to commit to Weeds for another year... or go with Geno Smith at #6. I think it's Weeds and a trade down... but that's always subject to change.

What's up, Zombo?

I think it's Colt at QB, picking up a new TE and FB.

On D we're taking an OLB or a cornerback at 6. Then we need the other position adressed. We need to find a FS worth his weight in salt.

We need to resign Cribbs and Dawson. Momass and Watson. We also need a FB that can do the things we need him to do, like catch and block. I'd resign Kaluka, he's a great depth player and won't commmand a very large contract. Vickers would be a beast blocking for Trent Richardson, did I mention we need a FB?

That's a joke about Colt at QB, right? The guy we couldn't trade to Green Bay for a sixth round pick? The guy who can't accurately throw a 10 yard pass to a crossing receiver?

I swear, he literally has negative value at this point. You'd have to trade him and a fourth round pick for someone to assume his salary. Not even good by backup standards. Couldn't fit Chud/Norv worse. Chances of being on the team three months from now are roughly zero.

If we wanna give Weeds another year, I could see Chase Daniel and Dysert in 4. If not, I could see Geno Smith at #6. Won't surprise me a bit.

That's a joke about Colt at QB, right? The guy we couldn't trade to Green Bay for a sixth round pick? The guy who can't accurately throw a 10 yard pass to a crossing receiver?

I swear, he literally has negative value at this point. You'd have to trade him and a fourth round pick for someone to assume his salary. Not even good by backup standards. Couldn't fit Chud/Norv worse. Chances of being on the team three months from now are roughly zero.

If we wanna give Weeds another year, I could see Chase Daniel and Dysert in 4. If not, I could see Geno Smith at #6. Won't surprise me a bit.

Its not a joke...PoeticG and the McCoy family are the only ones who see the guy as a starter in the NFL. His time in Cleveland is done. I think its Weeden and I actually think we bring back Anderson, especially now that Moore resigned in Miami.

MoMass is also gone...dude just can't stay healthy. I'd bring back Watson if the price is right.

I'd like to say I came up with this on my own... but rumor has it the Browns are calling agents for every CB on the market (well, all the good ones under 27). And they like Avril over Kruger. And they like Julian Edelman.

I'd like to say I came up with this on my own... but rumor has it the Browns are calling agents for every CB on the market (well, all the good ones under 27). And they like Avril over Kruger. And they like Julian Edelman.

I would ay you are right. Cabot just came out with a list of names that the Browns are in contact with.

Per @LaneAdkins #Browns have talked to reps for Julian Edelman, Cliff Avril, Brandon Myers, Keenan Lewis, Antoine Cason, Sean Smith and DR-C

Last for on that list are CB, DR-C being Cromartie. I like how we are looking at Myers. I think he would pair well with a more athletic TE such as Cameron.

Im gonna laugh when Farmer starts bringing garbage from KC here to play...this franchise is a joke anymore

I can't believe the Chargers' "restriction" on Danario won't require anyone to give them draft pick compensation. I'd snap up Alexander in a heartbeat.. all we have to do is outbid the Chargers for his signature.

It's because he was undrafted. The low round tender corresponds with whatever round they were drafted in.

It's because he was undrafted. The low round tender corresponds with whatever round they were drafted in.

Yes - and that's only a concern with the lowest tier of the tender. I can't believe SD tendered their best WR from last season only a 1.26M contract. The tender tier corresponds to the pick the next team would have to pay them to sign the RFA.. first, second, or original draft round.. as well as the salary of the next year.

I'm stunned about the Chargers and Danario. He played the last 10 games and put up like 670 and 7 TDs. For the first time since he was 5 (exaggerating) he won't have any surgery in the offseason, says he feels great. Alo compares him to Josh Gordon, similar guys. Norv certainly knows him well.

I'd snap that kid up in a New York minute. Get him, Vasquez, and Brandon Myers and the offense looks fantastic.

They should be calling the agents of every CB on the market. The FA market is probably where they are going to get a starter opposite Haden, rather than the draft. I don't think they want to take the chance that Milliner will be there with the #6 pick. He is the only prime CB choice in the first round, where they will have options at DE or OLB. So, to have a sure thing, the will likely go FA with the CB position. Browns have Skine and Trevin Wade, but I think they see them as nickel and backups.

Archived