THE BROWNS BOARD

Take A "chance" On Warmack

cdl15

this blue chip guard from Alabama with help the Browns more than any other players in the first round he would solidify the offense o line and possibly get the Browns the best o line in the league for the next decade.

Not only would you get more draft picks moving back to select him but he will help out last year's two number 1 draft picks tremendously.

ray hOrton will probably not be here that long before somebody wants to interview him for a head coaching job so I would rather load up the defense with ready to go talent this year then project defensive draft picks. but seeing how the skill level between first round and third round defensive players is not that big of a gap you might as well get the only blue chipper in the draft.

.when Joe Thomas retires it will be a lot easier to fill his spot with the talent including chance Warmack already in place.

but this will only work if you fill up the defensive side with some serious free agent Talent and then with the latter pics pick up some defensive men. since 1999 the offense of line has been a problem this is the first year dere u can solidify it. go for it

Rich and ghoolie Sorry LOL......

A guy that WILL HELP Trich and any qb score more points cant help the Brown's win?

The top 20 pass rushers in the NFL Draft are interchangeableand not even as close to the talent that chance is for his position. there are plenty of affordable ready to go pass rushers in free agency that are better than any one or two draft picks.

even Todd McShay who has the Browns taking chance says that he is the best guard that he is ever scoutedI don't hear him saying that about any pass rusher in this draft. getting Krueger and avril as well as a cornerback in free agency makes a guard pick plus 2 or 3 more pics to pick up more pass rushers or secondary is far from a wasted pic.

not that your opinion is wrong UNFORTUNALLY you're probably right

I agree..

We need an impact player on defense. Somebody that keeps opposing offensive coaches up at night in preparing to play our defense. Warmack is going to be a great player but we have bigger holes to fill at #6.

so if we get two or three impact players on defense in free agency which we will get at least a few. sorry I believe you get the best player available not just 1 hole that might not be as big a hole at the time of the draft

so if we get two or three impact players on defense in free agency which we will get at least a few. sorry I believe you get the best player available not just 1 hole that might not be as big a hole at the time of the draft

You take the best player available but you also take position into account. You don't draft a kicker or punter before the 3/4th round and you don't take a inside OL before 10. We would be wasting our draft position if we took Warmack over another spot. If we traded back I wouldn't be that upset, but to take him at 6 would be the stupidest move of the draft.

Having said this, it is a moot point. Banner has already said we wouldn't be looking at OL in the first.

Cause his word is gospil when talking to fans or media.

Besides there isnt a player in the draft worth the 6 pick. Which is y we probly stuck with it.

Ideally moving back to 11-15 for more mid round picks would b best case senerio. But since the rest of the league knows u can get an end or a lb in the 2nd with just as much upside as a 1st rounder it is moot. We can only pray that someone wants a qb with our spot. Cause id bet the farm 75% of the first round defensive talent will be a swing and a miss.

Bottom line is if we that hell bent on getting better thru the draft we need more than six picks.

Its not like the offense is head and shoulders better than the defensive side.

Build the offense with youngins and buy the defense with proven talent.

The point isn't that warmack is good. Seriously, stop defending this idea -- we've already got 2 first round and 1 second round invested in OL, that's enough this high.

Draft the player that gives you the biggest change in performance from our current roster. That position is the DE/OLB spot - either Jones or Ansah. Even if we sign both kruger and avril, we should still draft from jordan/jones/ansah.

We will get significantly better performance as a team by replacing Lauvao with Warmack's teammate Garrett Jones in the 3rd.

Cause his word is gospil when talking to fans or media.

Besides there isnt a player in the draft worth the 6 pick. Which is y we probly stuck with it.

Ideally moving back to 11-15 for more mid round picks would b best case senerio. But since the rest of the league knows u can get an end or a lb in the 2nd with just as much upside as a 1st rounder it is moot. We can only pray that someone wants a qb with our spot. Cause id bet the farm 75% of the first round defensive talent will be a swing and a miss.

Bottom line is if we that hell bent on getting better thru the draft we need more than six picks.

Its not like the offense is head and shoulders better than the defensive side.

Build the offense with youngins and buy the defense with proven talent.

You answered your own argument- about no one is going to want to trade up. Yup, Warmack is probably the best interior line guy to come along in a long time, but you don't draft interior line at #6.

You answered your own argument- about no one is going to want to trade up. Yup, Warmack is probably the best interior line guy to come along in a long time, but you don't draft interior line at #6.

Yep u too r right. Wouldnt take Him at 6. Just like i never said or implied. Just simply gave my opinion on a theoretical senerio. Not going to complain whatever they do.

Just wish the Brown's would finish building one side of the ball. Every new regimne seems to wanna stop building Which ever side the last was on.

Yes we need a pass rusher everyone knows that. But im sayin if we are two or three pieces away from putting a offensive jugggernaught together for six years or longer then damn it MY PERSONAL OPINION I WOULD GO FOR IT.

Yep u too r right. Wouldnt take Him at 6. Just like i never said or implied. Just simply gave my opinion on a theoretical senerio. Not going to complain whatever they do.

Just wish the Brown's would finish building one side of the ball. Every new regimne seems to wanna stop building Which ever side the last was on.

Yes we need a pass rusher everyone knows that. But im sayin if we are two or three pieces away from putting a offensive jugggernaught together for six years or longer then damn it MY PERSONAL OPINION I WOULD GO FOR IT.

There is a different from building on the offense if we brought back last years 4-3 as compared to this year when we are switching to a 3-4. On top of that we have how many FA and they plan on letting them all walk! Honestly if if you goal is making the offense better then why don't we just grab a WR or TE there isn't of a guard. Those guys would be able to drastically help the offense.

As tempting as Warmack would be at 6, I wan't some speed on D. Dion Jordan or Ansah would be Ideal. Especially if we can somehow pry Ellerbee from the Ravens(don't know if he resigned yet, and would rather have him over Kruger.

i personally couldnt pull the trigger for Him at 6. Honestly the Top ten pick sucks this year. No one is worth it. Thats why there is no real projection this year and the absolute highest rated player is a guard.

Besides chance there is no clear cut must have guy. Its whom ever u like i guess.

i personally couldnt pull the trigger for Him at 6. Honestly the Top ten pick sucks this year. No one is worth it. Thats why there is no real projection this year and the absolute highest rated player is a guard.

Besides chance there is no clear cut must have guy. Its whom ever u like i guess.

Chance isn't a must have either.

Guards have the last amount of value of all starting positions, that's why they have the lowest average contract.

There's rarely a must have guard. Especially for teams that have multiple positions of need like the Browns. Our biggest area of need is pash rusher, and there are 4 good ones in this draft. Why wouldn't take one is beyond me.

Chance isn't a must have either.

Guards have the last amount of value of all starting positions, that's why they have the lowest average contract.

There's rarely a must have guard. Especially for teams that have multiple positions of need like the Browns. Our biggest area of need is pash rusher, and there are 4 good ones in this draft. Why wouldn't take one is beyond me.

The only way I would like to see it is if the Browns trade down for 2 1st rounders and take Warmack and one of those pass rushers. But that is only a wild possibility. So it looks like a no.

Yeah, unless we traded down to the teens I wouldn't draft him. I thought we should have taken DeCastro last year with our 22nd pick, and even then people would have said the 1st round is too high for a guard.

Our guard play is our biggest weakness on offense though, we need better run blocking and we have to address the inside, but not with the 6th pick

2013 Cleveland Browns NFL Draft Prospect Profile: OG Chance WarmackPATRICK KALISTA 3 weeks ago

« PREVIOUS

NEXT »

Browns fans have sat through numerous drafts and have thought to themselves, “What were they thinking?” This year, there are many possibilities VP of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner will have to consider for the team’s ninth top 10 overall pick since the 1999 draft. With so many needs at multiple positions, not everyone is going to be happy come April 25, but I will try to make each possible pick make more sense in its own right.

The Browns made it a point to run the ball effectively last season and even though new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will bring what could be a more passing-oriented offense, the need to run the ball will be there in order to open up the passing attack.

After averaging just 3.6 yards per carry with main back Trent Richardson last season, Cleveland needs to bulk up the offensive line.  Offensive guard Chance Warmack would be a big-time addition to the weaker right side and would give the young tackle Mitchell Schwartz some help.

Most say taking an offensive guard in the first round is risky, but when you have a guy that’s ranked in most analysts’ top 5 in player rankings entering the draft, you take that risk.

Warmack put his muscle and speed on display during the BCS National Championship Game against the No. 1 ranked rushing defense and shined. The Crimson Tide had two rushers surpass the 100-yard mark and averaged 5.9 yards per carry, and the top-rated prospect had plenty to do with it.

However, if one game doesn’t provide the evidence of talent, than an entire season should. Warmack helped pave the way for two 1,000-yard plus rushers who averaged 6.3 and 6.5 yards per carry, respectively.

Individually, he led his team with 37 pancake blocks, managed a 99 percent grading in assignments met (721/728) and allowed just 3.5 sacks in 287 pass attempts. At 6-3, 320 pounds Warmack runs a 5.37 40-yard dash and is as strong as they come at his position. Along with his superior physicality he is also very disciplined mentally, as Warmack was penalized just twice throughout the entire season while the Browns’ starting line was flagged 31 times.

Not being  able to close out games has been a recurring theme in Cleveland and a solid running game would improve that greatly. If the Browns want to begin to have success next season, being able to run the ball consistently will give them a greater chance to do so.

2013 Cleveland Browns NFL Draft Prospect Profile: OG Chance WarmackPATRICK KALISTA 3 weeks ago

« PREVIOUS

NEXT »

Browns fans have sat through numerous drafts and have thought to themselves, “What were they thinking?” This year, there are many possibilities VP of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner will have to consider for the team’s ninth top 10 overall pick since the 1999 draft. With so many needs at multiple positions, not everyone is going to be happy come April 25, but I will try to make each possible pick make more sense in its own right.

The Browns made it a point to run the ball effectively last season and even though new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will bring what could be a more passing-oriented offense, the need to run the ball will be there in order to open up the passing attack.

After averaging just 3.6 yards per carry with main back Trent Richardson last season, Cleveland needs to bulk up the offensive line.  Offensive guard Chance Warmack would be a big-time addition to the weaker right side and would give the young tackle Mitchell Schwartz some help.

Most say taking an offensive guard in the first round is risky, but when you have a guy that’s ranked in most analysts’ top 5 in player rankings entering the draft, you take that risk.

Warmack put his muscle and speed on display during the BCS National Championship Game against the No. 1 ranked rushing defense and shined. The Crimson Tide had two rushers surpass the 100-yard mark and averaged 5.9 yards per carry, and the top-rated prospect had plenty to do with it.

However, if one game doesn’t provide the evidence of talent, than an entire season should. Warmack helped pave the way for two 1,000-yard plus rushers who averaged 6.3 and 6.5 yards per carry, respectively.

Individually, he led his team with 37 pancake blocks, managed a 99 percent grading in assignments met (721/728) and allowed just 3.5 sacks in 287 pass attempts. At 6-3, 320 pounds Warmack runs a 5.37 40-yard dash and is as strong as they come at his position. Along with his superior physicality he is also very disciplined mentally, as Warmack was penalized just twice throughout the entire season while the Browns’ starting line was flagged 31 times.

Not being  able to close out games has been a recurring theme in Cleveland and a solid running game would improve that greatly. If the Browns want to begin to have success next season, being able to run the ball consistently will give them a greater chance to do so.

So you quote an Ohio State student's article from before the combine?

And? A good quote

is a good quote. No did then someone talkin about 4 tweeners that dont crack 2012 top 15

And? A good white is a good white. No did then someone talkin about 4 tweeners that dont crack 2012 top 15

It's a good write with no more merit than anything we've said on here. It's not a scout's perspective or from anybody with credible sources. It's speculation from a fan, that's all.

Those 4 tweeners (post combine) would have all gone top 15 in last years draft, a couple even possibly top 10.

They are better physical specimens and had more production than anybody picked past #9. Jones could have been picked as high as 5th.

Just because they're in a draft class that doesn't have RG3 and Luck in it doesn't mean that they aren't quality prospects. Excluding Luck, Richardson, Claiborne RG3 and Kalil, the top 20 draft picks from 2012 didnt do much of anything.

Stop glorifying last years class and look at the facts, the Browns aren't taking Warmack at 6.

LOL never said take Him at 6. honestly if we don't move back to take chance I would rather take Milner than any of the pass rushers in this draftbut Tim Couch pulls out doesn't like that eitherso I guess that's not an option since he's not wasting oxygen and his s*** isn't gathering in a river somewhere like any other fan

LOL never said take Him at 6. honestly if we don't move back to take chance I would rather take Milner than any of the pass rushers in this draftbut Tim Couch pulls out doesn't like that eitherso I guess that's not an option since he's not wasting oxygen and his s*** isn't gathering in a river somewhere like any other fan

I advocate trading back, but I still don't advocate taking a guard when we have much more pressing needs. Our offensive line grades out higher than our linebacking corps any day of the week. So do our corners. We have to address the weakest parts of our team first.

Our biggest weakness is our pass rush (or lack thereof). There are three or four great pass rushers and you'd rather us take an offensive guard or a #2 CB? That's just ridiculous. Warmack only marginally improves our offensive production, we're still going to have DL blast through Luavao/Pinkston or come off the edge around Schwartz. Milliner only marginally improves our defensive production, QB's are still going to have 7-8 seconds to throw the ball because our pass rush is nonexistant. We're only as strong as our weakest link, taking a #2 CB or an G isn't going to have as much of an impact on our performance as taking a pass rusher.

I understand the appeal of wanting to shore up our offensive line and have a fantastic unit. I am an offensive lineman, nobody values the importance of the offensive line as much as I do. But I am also a realist, and we're lacking in too many other areas to worry about building the best offensive line right now.

Getting pressure on the QB makes our coverage inherently better.

Shit doesn't gather in rivers. It gathers on the shores of Lake Erie, and then they build it into a town named Cleveland.

Shit doesn't gather in rivers. It gathers on the shores of Lake Erie, and then they build it into a town named Cleveland.

I think I am beginning to understand. Whereever you go, whereever you are, it is shitty.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes: Shitty people lead shitty lives. It don't matter where they are.

I advocate trading back, but I still don't advocate taking a guard when we have much more pressing needs. Our offensive line grades out higher than our linebacking corps any day of the week. So do our corners. We have to address the weakest parts of our team first.

Our biggest weakness is our pass rush (or lack thereof). There are three or four great pass rushers and you'd rather us take an offensive guard or a #2 CB? That's just ridiculous. Warmack only marginally improves our offensive production, we're still going to have DL blast through Luavao/Pinkston or come off the edge around Schwartz. Milliner only marginally improves our defensive production, QB's are still going to have 7-8 seconds to throw the ball because our pass rush is nonexistant. We're only as strong as our weakest link, taking a #2 CB or an G isn't going to have as much of an impact on our performance as taking a pass rusher.

I understand the appeal of wanting to shore up our offensive line and have a fantastic unit. I am an offensive lineman, nobody values the importance of the offensive line as much as I do. But I am also a realist, and we're lacking in too many other areas to worry about building the best offensive line right now.

Getting pressure on the QB makes our coverage inherently better.

I agree with u. Pass rush is number one concern but if we go into the draft having to hope we get a guy that is a game changer that means we came up empty in FA. This is unexceptable. Kruger and Avril should be aquired. They have to get one at least. And im not writting sheard off either.

95% of any years draft picks need 2-4 years to be impact. And if Lombardi and Banner do their jobs in FA ur problemat pass rush should not b as severe at the time of the draft. Leaving options open. There will b rushers in rounds 2 and 3 to groom. We need to fill not to build on defense.

I agree with u. Pass rush is number one concern but if we go into the draft having to hope we get a guy that is a game changer that means we came up empty in FA. This is unexceptable. Kruger and Avril should be aquired. They have to get one at least. And im not writting sheard off either.

95% of any years draft picks need 2-4 years to be impact. And if Lombardi and Banner do their jobs in FA ur problemat pass rush should not b as severe at the time of the draft. Leaving options open. There will b rushers in rounds 2 and 3 to groom. We need to fill not to build on defense.

But why pay a FA LB an obscene amount of money when we can get a younger version for pennies on the dollar? The rookie salary cap makes it beneficial to pick skill positions early.

We can get a good FA guard for a fraction of the price of a FA LB. I agree we need to target Kruger and Avril, but they are still question marks. Avril would be a convert and Kruger would be going from benefitting from a great surrounding crew to being our main guy.

But why pay a FA LB an obscene amount of money when we can get a younger version for pennies on the dollar? The rookie salary cap makes it beneficial to pick skill positions early.

We can get a good FA guard for a fraction of the price of a FA LB. I agree we need to target Kruger and Avril, but they are still question marks. Avril would be a convert and Kruger would be going from benefitting from a great surrounding crew to being our main guy.

idk man.....we ALWAYS draft the position we need. For once i would like to spend for it. FA's dont work out we can just cut em no money guarrentted. We draft we kinda married to the pick for a few years. And in a guard leša chance of a bust. Just seems like its business as usual either way u go i guess

i'm totally on the fence on this topic. hopefully we trade back (if possible) and get a second round pick. if the best player available is warmack then we take him. i have advocated for a couple of years now to finish building one side of the team, either defense or offense. last year i thought we were only a couple of picks away from finishing off the defensive side of the ball, but now with the defensive scheme changing we are farther away than before. if adding a guard finishes off the offense (QB check, running back(s) check, WRs check, TE (i thought check), offensive line besides right side guard check=we need a guard.

now on the other hand the defense we need LBers (plural) CB(plural) S(plural). and the talent from the LB/DE position of where we would pick at 6 and a position in the second wouldn't be that far off.

that being said if jones or milner are there at 6 and we have no offers, we gotta pounce. i'm not sold on ansah at all.

Not so sure switching to a 3-4 really sets us back all that much.

Even if we were to stick with the 4-3 we'd need to add another 1-2 linebackers anyhow.

If Sheard can make the switch to LB we are pretty much in the same boat, needing a free safety and corner.

I'm just worried about Jackon in the 3-4 bc he's a smaller guy and they say he doesn't shed blocks well so he might not be nearly as effective as he was in 4-3.

I know we need more talent on D but I'm starting to warm up to Warmack. Let's be honest our O-Line is sub par at run blocking, we need a mauler type guy with this power running game between the tackles.

You can say that 6 is not worth a guard but look at it as protecting your investment in Richardson, if Warmack can help to unlock Richardsons potential in Norvs offense than I definitely think he's worth it at 6.

About trading down I just don't see how it could happen, I think our only shot is that the Chiefs don't take a tackle or some team really wants Gino Smith..even then I doubt they'd be willing to give up a 2nd rounder in this years draft.

Archived