THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Practice With Geno Smith

TypicalBrowns

What does this mean for the 2013 Browns draft?

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- The Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft, will conduct a private workout with West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, a league source said.

Also, Browns CEO Joe Banner reiterated at the NFL meetings today that quarterback is not the focus at No. 6, but he didn't rule out taking one early, late or in the middle of the draft.

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

He declined to say if the Browns inquired about trading for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, which reportedly they have done.

He also said he has a great deal of respect for quarterback Colt McCoy and that whoever is on the roster will have a fair shot to win the starting job.

Other quick hits from Banner's 25-minute session with Cleveland media members at the meetings:

• He said a new scoreboard is in the plans for FirstEnergy Stadium, but it won't be in place for the 2013 season.

• New uniforms are also in the works, but they won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest "and probably not '14.'' He said it takes at least 4-6 months of market research first.

• He said he will not attend any Pro Days himself, nor will owner Jimmy Haslam. But Browns GM Mike Lombardi will.

• He said Lombardi is not out in front of the media right now because "he's a little bit of a lightning rod'' and Banner want Lombardi to focus on his job for awhile.

• He said he never had any rift with Eagles owner Jeff Lurie over the coach Chip Kelly sweepstakes.

* Banner said he doubts the Browns will receive any compensatory picks this year from net losses in 2012 free agency.

* He said once Phil Dawson signs somewhere -- whether with the Browns or elsewhere -- it will make sense why Banner was reluctant to address Dawson's situation.

Of course this is mainly speculation but damn, could CLE really take Geno at 6 or trade up for him? Is Weeden gonna compete with a 1st round draft pick?

If they want him or not, at least they are doing their due diligence. What if they are just checking him out to see what they think they could get for him in a trade back and then they end up falling in love with him? This offseason has been nuts. We've actually signed people and I truly have no idea how we're going to draft.

Checking out Geno means one of three things. Either we're evaluating him for a trade back, we're genuinely interested in him, or it's a smokescreen. The depressing part about this is that those are literally the only three options. They've fooled me so maybe they got other people with it too.

Of course this is mainly speculation but damn, could CLE really take Geno at 6 or trade up for him? Is Weeden gonna compete with a 1st round draft pick?

New regime means they might want their own QB to start off with. Maybe Chud and Norv and the rest have studied the film on Weeden and decided he's not the guy. Who knows. Could also just be a smoke screen for the rest of the league.

It will be a very interesting draft...that's for sure.

I don't think Geno would be drafted at #6 to push Weeden. He's coming in here at #6 as the starter next year. I don't know much about him but he would seem to be more of a Cam Newton type of QB than a stand in the pocket guy like Weeden. It would seem to be two completely different offensive styles.

I expected, & am elated to see, a HUGE change in the way things are being done by this new regime from how they had been done since the return. Change, especially following a long period of failures,is GOOD. None of us can predict what will happen next & that's wonderful....We are seeing Jimmy's statement of "We're going to do things the BROWNS' way" come to fruition.

It's all good.

Mike

He said the club will do everything possible to have the best players at every position.

He also said he has a great deal of respect for quarterback Colt McCoy and that whoever is on the roster will have a fair shot to win the starting job.

Don't read too much into this PG!

Other quick hits from Banner's 25-minute session with Cleveland media members at the meetings:

• He said a new scoreboard is in the plans for FirstEnergy Stadium, but it won't be in place for the 2013 season.

What's wrong with the current one?

• New uniforms are also in the works, but they won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest "and probably not '14.'' He said it takes at least 4-6 months of market research first.

The uniform homos are having an orgasm.

• He said he will not attend any Pro Days himself, nor will owner Jimmy Haslam. But Browns GM Mike Lombardi will.

• He said Lombardi is not out in front of the media right now because "he's a little bit of a lightning rod'' and Banner want Lombardi to focus on his job for awhile.

I hope you learned from your mistakes, Mike.

* He said once Phil Dawson signs somewhere -- whether with the Browns or elsewhere -- it will make sense why Banner was reluctant to address Dawson's situation.

Can only mean one of two things, which I've been saying all along. Either Phil doesn't want to be here, or he's asking way too much money. Considering Bleacher Report had him rated as the 4th best kicker in the league (I'll put him 2nd behind only Janikowski), and he's by far the best FA kicker out there, something has got to be up. You think the 49ers wouldn't want to upgrade at that position?

It makes sense to do due diligence. What doesn't make sense to me is to draft a QB in the first round 2 years in a row. I know it is a new regime, nevertheless, that is putting too much of a precious resource into a single basket. Especially since we still don't know fully what BW3 is capable of.

In the pantheon of NFL history Weeden had a decent rookie season. Its just that this past year was by far an aberration with the performances of rookies like Griffin, Luck, Wilson.

It also makes sense to engage with Geno Smith if the intent is to stoke the fires of a trade...and perhaps get some of the teams behind them into a bidding war over that #6 pick.

Move back a few spots this year...and pick up another first round pick for next year? That's what we did with Atlanta. Or at least recoup a 2d rounder this year?

Sure, get the other teams behind us thinking that Smith is fully an option for the Browns...unless they can make us an offer we can't refuse in a trade.

Anyone that is a top 10 draft prospect will get a workout. He is worth a look to gauge his abilities with norv,and chud I would assume they are able to judge talent at this point.

And if they get "Blown Away", then Weeden becomes a 30 year old backup, the Geno Smith era begins, and Colt McCoy goes to live with Poetic G's cat.

If they want to go that route, I am fine with it.

Zombo

I don't think Geno would be drafted at #6 to push Weeden. He's coming in here at #6 as the starter next year. I don't know much about him but he would seem to be more of a Cam Newton type of QB than a stand in the pocket guy like Weeden. It would seem to be two completely different offensive styles.

He is not like Cam Newton in terms of running the ball, but in throwing it he is. He can run if needed but he is a true pocket passer, with a great arm. According to reports from his pro day he was extremely impressive and can make all the throws. For what that is worth. I have been feeling for weeks that we are going to take him if he is there at 6. However I would be completely shocked if he is there at 6. My guess is he goes in the top 3. His pro day reviews were simple to good, and quarterbacks are hot commodities.

He is not like Cam Newton in terms of running the ball, but in throwing it he is. He can run if needed but he is a true pocket passer, with a great arm. According to reports from his pro day he was extremely impressive and can make all the throws. For what that is worth. I have been feeling for weeks that we are going to take him if he is there at 6. However I would be completely shocked if he is there at 6. My guess is he goes in the top 3. His pro day reviews were simple to good, and quarterbacks are hot commodities.

The fact that we have not sniffed the Ryan Fitzpatriicks, Kevin Kolbs and Matt Cassels of the world leads me further to believe they may have an interest in Smith. Can't seeing the new adminstration jumping for joy that they inherited Brandon Weeden as the starter and Colt McCoy as the backup. They didn't draft them, if they can find better they will.

Zombo

And if they get "Blown Away", then Weeden becomes a 30 year old backup, the Geno Smith era begins, and Colt McCoy goes to live with Poetic G's cat.

If they want to go that route, I am fine with it.

Zombo

Is it the route I would go... no. If he is a better option than he will be the fourth black qb to go to the superbowl (excluding Kapernick not sure what he is, but his new girlfriend has some nice titties) and the second one to win the big one.

The Bills WILL trade up to 3, 4, or 6 to get Geno, I am almost certain. I think the best we can get out of them is an early third rounder b/c they know we will not be missing out on much by only trading back 2 spots. Plus, according to the draft value chart, their 3rd rounder is worth more than the difference between #6 and #8. I'd rather have that now, than a 2nd rounder next year which is the other possibility.

Is it the route I would go... no. If he is a better option than he will be the fourth black qb to go to the superbowl (excluding Kapernick not sure what he is, but his new girlfriend has some nice titties) and the second one to win the big one.

colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-elite-daily.jpg

The fact that we have not sniffed the Ryan Fitzpatriicks, Kevin Kolbs and Matt Cassels of the world leads me further to believe they may have an interest in Smith. Can't seeing the new adminstration jumping for joy that they inherited Brandon Weeden as the starter and Colt McCoy as the backup. They didn't draft them, if they can find better they will.

Zombo

Word is however that the Browns have been sniffing around Jason Campbell. Which excites me none. What? Did Lombardi draft him or bring him to Oakland? That is the only reason that I can fathom that they would have interest in him.

Is Weeden gonna compete with a 1st round draft pick?

Well, it's not uncommon for a 30yr old aging veteran to have to compete against a 1st round draft pick at any position.

Word is however that the Browns have been sniffing around Jason Campbell. Which excites me none. What? Did Lombardi draft him or bring him to Oakland? That is the only reason that I can fathom that they would have interest in him.

Campbell was having a pretty solid season last year before he got hurt in the game against us. Then he was out for the season and the Raiders panicked and gave away the farm and then some to get Carson Palmer up off his couch.

I actually think another reason could be that Dawson might be deciding whether or not he wants to retire or return. If so I think the Browns owe it to him to let him make the announcement rather than start rumors saying that he is considering retiring. They can always say later that they offered him a contract and he said he was either going to return to the Browns or retire. He decided after talking to his family to retire. That way everybody looks good.

The only reason we are going to watch Geno is to stir the pot so other teams think we have interest so that we can get a 2nd round pick to give tender to Pitta...as Chud said, we have the biggest and brightest stars in the room at QB, they just need to find the switch to turn themselves on.

The only reason we are going to watch Geno is to stir the pot so other teams think we have interest so that we can get a 2nd round pick to give tender to Pitta...as Chud said, we have the biggest and brightest stars in the room at QB, they just need to find the switch to turn themselves on.

Is this an unfounded PG-esque love affair with a player that I smell?

I don't think the argument about wasting last years first round pick would stop the current FO from taking Smith if they did like him.

In a way it would follow their current policy of basically saying everything done previously was shit and we are starting from scratch in another direction. Saying the Weeden pick was a waste would look to prove their point.

I don't think the argument about wasting last years first round pick would stop the current FO from taking Smith if they did like him.

In a way it would follow their current policy of basically saying everything done previously was shit and we are starting from scratch in another direction. Saying the Weeden pick was a waste would look to prove their point.

And it would be a recycling of the same old crap we have been suffering through for 13 years now. Every two years some new asshole comes in and wants to get rid of everyone here just so they can put "their guy" in place, damned to hell how good or bad the guys here are or are not.

If these guys bring in a new first round QB, then that sumbitch better play for the next 8-10 years.

Let me get a handle on this: The Browns tried to get Alex Smith... and they won't STOP trying to get Ryan Mallett... but we think they'd pass on Geno Smith at #6, which he'll never get to?

Why? Because we don't wanna waste a high draft pick on a meaningless position like quarterback? Or because we've demonstrated such deep commitment to Weeden?

Of course he's in play. But he won't get to #6.

Let me get a handle on this: The Browns tried to get Alex Smith... and they won't STOP trying to get Ryan Mallett... but we think they'd pass on Geno Smith at #6, which he'll never get to?

Why? Because we don't wanna waste a high draft pick on a meaningless position like quarterback? Or because we've demonstrated such deep commitment to Weeden?

Of course he's in play. But he won't get to #6.

Yeah, and if the Browns really like him- they don't have near the ammo to move up like they did last year. :(

Archived