THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Practice With Geno Smith

TypicalBrowns

Let me get a handle on this: The Browns tried to get Alex Smith... and they won't STOP trying to get Ryan Mallett... but we think they'd pass on Geno Smith at #6, which he'll never get to?

Why? Because we don't wanna waste a high draft pick on a meaningless position like quarterback? Or because we've demonstrated such deep commitment to Weeden?

Of course he's in play. But he won't get to #6.

No one knows for certain that the Browns tried for Alex Smith, nor that they are interested in Mallet. The interest is probably all one sided in that BB may very well be trying to dump his wasted QB pick on the Browns and get something in return for him , rather than just cutting him. Before he does that though he wants to see if there is a fish who will bite and he thinks that Lombardi may just be dumb enough to do that.

Though, I agree, it would not surprise me to see the likes of AZ or Buff try to move up to snatch Geno. Desperate times call for desperate measures. And both of those teams are desperate for a QB.

Is it scary good? Or scary bad?

Id say its both a combo of good and bad. He had some overthrows, batted balls, and some short inaccurate throws as well.

BUT he did have some good downfield throws with the wind at his back, also he can run the ball and does look like hes got the highly touted arm strength everyones talkin about.

Only if this regime trades big time for a higher pick I doubt we nab Geno. He actually looks pretty solid in thta vid tho.

if we draft ANOTHER (MUTHERFUCKING) QB this year we will be proven to be the worse 'new' franchise in football history. last year geno smith wouldn't have been compared to brandon weeden's irregularly sized left nut hair and now people are saying he'll be taken before number 6???

DID EVERYONE ON THIS FUCKING PLANET JUST GO INSANE??????

fuck it let's trade our 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to move up one spot to have buffalo trade up in front of us to take a guy that will be out of football in 2 years.

fucking morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2013, 4:05pm

PHOENIX — Trying to interpret the statement of every Browns official about their quarterback situation this offseason proved to be a wearying experience.

Words can be overstudied, expressions misinterpreted and intentions confused.

But one thing has become clear as owner Jimmy Haslam, CEO Joe Banner and coach Rob Chudzinski addressed the situation this week with the local media at the NFL annual meetings: The team at this moment plans to give Brandon Weeden every opportunity to keep the job.

And another thing has come clear as league types plugged into the situation reveal things: The Ryan Mallett rumors are nothing more than rumors. The Browns have not seriously pursued Mallett, a backup in New England, and barring something unforeseen (the usual caveat) he will not be joining the Browns.

The team’s position on Mallet is not to comment on him. Asked on Monday if he could say whether the Browns inquired about Mallett, Banner said: “(I) can’t, just because I won’t answer that about anybody.”

“I’m glad he plays for our team,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said.

It became clear from talking to league insiders that rumors about Mallett were merely floated because of General Manager Mike Lombardi’s previous affiliation with Belichick and the fact that Lombardi as a television analyst had spoken highly of Mallett.

Sometimes that logic plays out, as it did when Banner hired Lombardi.

In this case, there was no real substance to the reports and guesswork.

Though things can always change, the Browns now talk about competition from within. It’s possible the team could draft a quarterback, but Haslam and Chudzinski said the focus at this point is on the guys they have.

“I see it as creating competition,” Chudzinski said, uttering the latest catch-phrase for the position. “That can be from a number of different places. We have some guys that are there and again we’re going to coach them all and we’re going to coach them all hard and we’re going to give all of them opportunities to show what they can do. So I think there will be competition from within the room.

“Competition comes from within too. I think as coaches we have to bring that out in our guys.”

“I think you can have internal competition and you can have external competition,” Haslam said. “This is the first time I’ve gone through free agency, and of course you have the draft … it’s still a pretty long time ‘til camp, right? I think we start officially in mid-July. I think we’ll see how things shape up.”

Which leaves the door open in case someone is released or cut, or in case the Browns add a mid-round guy — Banner has made it clear quarterback is not the focus with the sixth overall pick.

But trading for Mallett or any player like him was and is extremely difficult given the Browns lack a second-round pick in this year’s draft. Acquiring a talented passer might require a third-round choice this year, which would further void the Browns of high picks. That’s not good when the Browns have said they want to build through the draft.

Giving up a second-round pick in 2014 also would be a problem, because it’s two years in a row without a second-round choice, which again is not good for long-term team building.

“We’’d certainly be very reluctant to trade any picks,” Banner said, speaking generally and not about a specific player.

At this point, it appears the market did not have a guy the Browns could easily bring in to compete. The team seems inclined to giving Weeden another year and seeing what happens.

“Chud and (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) are way better to answer that than I am,” Haslam said. “But I think they think the offense they’ll run fits our quarterback’s skill set and there’s potential there. They’re optimistic we can put points on the board.”

if we draft ANOTHER (MUTHERFUCKING) QB this year we will be proven to be the worse 'new' franchise in football history. last year geno smith wouldn't have been compared to brandon weeden's irregularly sized left nut hair and now people are saying he'll be taken before number 6???

fuck it let's trade our 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to move up one spot to have buffalo trade up in front of us to take a guy that will be out of football in 2 years.

You dont have to worry about being the worst franchise in football history. The Lions have that locked up.

I LOL when I see folks try to figure out what THIS FO is doing. I'm not poking fun of anyone here, it's just that we are experiencing a totally different management style with the Browns. None of us really have a clue what their next move is & that's a good thing. What they ARE doing is keeping their business in house & not leaking information to the gossip mongers (aka media). We are seeing professionals at work, which makes things far more interesting to me.

Mike

I'm not completely opposed to drafting a QB, but not before the 4th round. I don't understand why anyone would want to spend a first rounder on Smith, I don't get all this new infatuation.

I'm not completely opposed to drafting a QB, but not before the 4th round. I don't understand why anyone would want to spend a first rounder on Smith, I don't get all this new infatuation.

Again, it is desperation. The Bills and the Cardinals do not appear to have a capable NFL starting QB on their rosters, so whatever is out there that seems appealing comes up vastly overrated. Yea, last year Geno Smith might at best have been considered a 2d round pick. But because there is no Luck, RGIII, or even Tannehill and Weeden the best QB, even if he is mediocre gets a swift elevator ride to the top of the draft.

Also, no one, apparently, wants to miss out on the next Russell Wilson. Maybe that is who people think Geno Smith is.

Again, it is desperation. The Bills and the Cardinals do not appear to have a capable NFL starting QB on their rosters, so whatever is out there that seems appealing comes up vastly overrated. Yea, last year Geno Smith might at best have been considered a 2d round pick. But because there is no Luck, RGIII, or even Tannehill and Weeden the best QB, even if he is mediocre gets a swift elevator ride to the top of the draft.

Also, no one, apparently, wants to miss out on the next Russell Wilson. Maybe that is who people think Geno Smith is.

I seem to recall you saying that, outside of Luck, last year's QB draft class didn't compare to the class before. I also think Zombo quoted you on it recently.

That may have been someone else, however.

Either way, there seems to be a trend developing that believing the incoming class of rookies is never as great as the class before it.

I seem to recall you saying that, outside of Luck, last year's QB draft class didn't compare to the class before. I also think Zombo quoted you on it recently.

That may have been someone else, however.

Either way, there seems to be a trend developing that believing the incoming class of rookies is never as great as the class before it.

That may have been me. Until the end of last season NO ONE saw the pro potential of the likes of RGIII/Wilson, even Tannehill and Weeden.

It was generally considered that save Luck, the Newtons/Lockers/Gabberts/Ponders/Daltons/Kaepernicks/Mallets? etc. of the year before was of more quality.

Hell, for all we know that still may prove true.

That may have been me. Until the end of last season NO ONE saw the pro potential of the likes of RGIII/Wilson, even Tannehill and Weeden.

It was generally considered that save Luck, the Newtons/Lockers/Gabberts/Ponders/Daltons/Kaepernicks/Mallets? etc. of the year before was of more quality.

Hell, for all we know that still may prove true.

I can honestly say I saw the potential of Wilson, but I thought Tannehill would be terrible, RG3 would struggle and that Weeden would be fantastic.

As the NFL adopts more and more aspects from the college game, we'll see the rookie learning curve dwindle even further. More and more "system" players from the NCAA will find success in the NFL as the game evolves.

That's not saying we'll soon see 32 Case Keenum's playing on Sundays, but there's going to be more and more QB's taken that wouldn't have normally been drafted in previous years.

Archived