Guest Aloysius

Walter's New Mock

1. Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

curry.jpg

We take Shonn Greene in the 2nd Round (with Larry English, Fili Moala, and Alphonso Smith still on the board)

Other notable picks:

• Raji to the Packers at 9

• He has the Niners taking Everette Brown over Orakpo at 10

• Maualuga to the Broncos at 12

• Patriots take Aaron Maybin over Brian Cushing at 23

• Ravens get Alphonso Smith in the 2nd - a great pick

• He has Clay Matthews and Rashad Jennings falling to the 3rd - not likely to happpen

I think that top 5 is pretty much settled on nearly all the mock boards. I think that is a pretty close forecast.

What I am trying to do is look below us on these things and see if there are any teams who might want to move up and feel our spot is where they need to go.

Right behind us Walter has 3 teams all going OT....Cincy,Oakland, and Jacksonville with Cincy taking Eugene Monroe....if Monroe is the guy either Oakland or JVille really wants, they have to jump Cincy....and if by some fluke Andre Smith fell in our laps, you would have teams jumping to land that guy.

The way I see it, it might be possible to drop down to J-Villes spot and still get Curry be it in the 8 spot v the 5 spot.

I hadn't checked that value chart that circulates this time of year, but dropping 3 spots that high in the draft has to be worth a 3rd rounder...maybe more.

I would like to have Curry...but I am not sure I wouldn't rather have another pick or two in the top 100

Guest Aloysius

I think Monroe will end up going #2 instead of Andre Smith. Teams seem to prioritize pass-blocking when taking an OT that high, and Monroe is better at it than Smith (though Smith's a better run-blocker).

The most likely trade-down scenario would be if Crabtree or Sanchez fell to us. But for that happen it seems like Aaron Curry would have to be off the board at 5.

Add in that it's very difficult to trade out of the top 5 picks (even to 7 to 8), and I think it's more likely that we accumulate picks by trading DA and/or trading down in the 2nd Round (that'd be worth at least a 4th).

Guest Aloysius
cody brown & clay matthews falling? that wont happen those 2 wont get passed the mid 2nd round before there taken.

I'm inclined to agree.

Coming into the Senior Bowl, Brown was projected to be a 3rd Round pick. With a good Combine, he could sneak into the 2nd Round.

If we trade down in the 2nd, he could be the guy we end up taking (especially if all the top RB's are off the board).

I'm inclined to agree.

Coming into the Senior Bowl, Brown was projected to be a 3rd Round pick. With a good Combine, he could sneak into the 2nd Round.

If we trade down in the 2nd, he could be the guy we end up taking (especially if all the top RB's are off the board).

the key to that is who wants to move up and trade?

Guest Aloysius

In the '07 draft, Oakland traded down 5 spots (#33 to #38) and netted and additional 4th Round pick. Chicago traded down 25 spots (#37 to #62) and received an additional 3rd and 5th Round pick in the '07 draft, as well as a 3rd Round pick in the '08 draft.

If we traded down, our compensation would probably be somewhere in between. If we could pick up a 3rd Round pick, that'd be sweet.

I looked at that value chart.....the difference between our picks and JVilles is 300 points....JVilles 3rd rounder is valued at 230 points....again..that is just the value chart..who knows if teams really follow that or not...if that is a fair guide...getting their 3rd is well with-in reason.

I looked at that value chart.....the difference between our picks and JVilles is 300 points....JVilles 3rd rounder is valued at 230 points....again..that is just the value chart..who knows if teams really follow that or not...if that is a fair guide...getting their 3rd is well with-in reason.

'Peen...is that the OLD chart...or the revised one they have been talking about using going forward?

Shoot man....I don't know...whatever was listed on GBN

I will check the new one....like I said, I don't know how much that thing is really used, but I suppose it provides some sort of basis point.

new_draft_chart.jpg

If this new chart is used, you can see the there is a TON more chance of mobility at the top of the draft.

It was created because of the inflexibility of the old chart because the high price of BOTH the picks AND the cost to sign the player after picking them made it unfeasable for teams to trade up to the top of the draft.

This new chart has been floating around for a couple of years...but many speculated last year that THIS year it would actually be utilized a bit more...maybe not universally, but it will probably get trades to occur somewhere between the two charts.

Guest Aloysius

B.J. Raji could end up being someone teams are willing to trade up for. He's emerged as the only solid NT in this year's draft (his teammate, Ron Brace has a quick first step, but is not very good at moving laterally).

With Cinci, Green Bay, and Denver all in the market for a NT, there could be a rush to move up & get Raji.

If Curry's gone, I certainly wouldn't mind us making sure that Raji doesn't end up in a Bengals uniform.

Guest Aloysius
Wasn't that top five the same as Kiper's? Sanchez to KC is getting a lot of traction.

You're right. The top 5 could be locking into place, with Eugene Monroe possibly replacing Smith as the OT St. Louis drafts.

The again, the Combine and pro day's could blow the whole thing up.

If Curry's gone, I certainly wouldn't mind us making sure that Raji doesn't end up in a Bengals uniform.

I agree....good point, but the only way to see that happen is to be ready to draft the guy.

This kind of goes back to our conversation yesterday and us having Rogers.

I agree...I don't want him in our division.....but yep...he could be a trade target...this is the conversation I seek..trying to figure out the guys teams may want and who those teams might be...for me anyway...a trade down would probably serve us best.

Guest Aloysius
I agree....good point, but the only way to see that happen is to be ready to draft the guy.

Not necessarily. If teams like Denver and Green Bay are convinced that Cinci will take Raji, they'll have to trade in front of the Bengals to get their guy. And with the Bengals picking right behind us, we're ideally situated to make that trade.

I agree...I don't want him in our division.....but yep...he could be a trade target...this is the conversation I seek..trying to figure out the guys teams may want and who those teams might be...for me anyway...a trade down would probably serve us best.

I get the appeal of the trade down; I just don't see who that guy is that we'd take after trading down.

Maualuga's done some things this week that make me a little more comfortable with him. Or maybe it's just that it'd be interesting to have Bryan Cox come in to coach Maualuga. If there's anyone who can motivate Maualuga, it's a former psycho linebacker like Cox.

I agree on the Cincy point....Rey would still be in the mix....and we seem a bit fixed on a backer...that isn't the only thing we can do....who knows what is going to transpire in FA wich might alter any needs list we might have today.

Who knows...we might go RB....not a great chance...corner...one of the other DEs.

Plus...we have Beau Bell...what happened to him?? A few months ago some of the people around here were claiming him the next great backer in the league.....have we given up on that ;)

But going back to a earlier point....trading DA or Edwards or someone else might also change the attitude we take with the first pick and our willingness to trade out of it.

Guest Aloysius

What's interesting is that T.J. McCreight was very high on Bell during the draft process.

I wonder if he still is & if that'll affect our offseason plans.

And one thing we need to remember is no matter which way we go, we aren't going to fix everything.

We need 2 starters out of this draft.....I would assume the first 2 picks.

That is why I hope, no matter who we take, we aren't looking at some sort of project of a major degree.....like a DE and teaching him to play backer...

I can see transitioning a 4-3 backer into a 3-4 backer with little difficulty...or moving a LT to RT or something like that....but we need 2 guys who can come in and start pretty much from the get go.

Getting back to Curry...I guess i have always seen him outside.

My hope is bell is ready too...if not, we keep davis another year...he isn't horrible in the middle...we have to replace Willie...who do you guys see us playing there if we do draft Curry and put him inside.

And one thing we need to remember is no matter which way we go, we aren't going to fix everything.

We need 2 starters out of this draft.....I would assume the first 2 picks.

That is why I hope, no matter who we take, we aren't looking at some sort of project of a major degree.....like a DE and teaching him to play backer...

I can see transitioning a 4-3 backer into a 3-4 backer with little difficulty...or moving a LT to RT or something like that....but we need 2 guys who can come in and start pretty much from the get go.

Getting back to Curry...I guess i have always seen him outside.

My hope is bell is ready too...if not, we keep davis another year...he isn't horrible in the middle...we have to replace Willie...who do you guys see us playing there if we do draft Curry and put him inside.

It's not that Davis get's physically outmatched often it's the poor angles he takes and his poor play recognition, you would think with a vet like him that would be the least of his problems.

YET HE SUCKS CANAL WATER AS A MLB...JUST HORRIBLE....HENCE HORRIBLE DEFENSE! WE NEED A MLB MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE ON THIS TEAM!

It's not that Davis get's physically outmatched often it's the poor angles he takes and his poor play recognition, you would think with a vet like him that would be the least of his problems.

He gets easily bamboozled.../he has no football instincts period...he flat out sucks..I WANT HIM GONE!

No more Wali Rainer types please...

Hey guys....didn't mean to make skin crawl......lol

Just saying from a needs basis since many here are needs based in their thinking....OLB seems to be a bigger need than does MLB.

JMO

Hey guys....didn't mean to make skin crawl......lol

Just saying from a needs basis since many here are needs based in their thinking....OLB seems to be a bigger need than does MLB.

JMO

Disagree completely....as stated about a bazillion times...We need a stud in the middle to give us an Identity and someone to make plays at the line of scrimmage behind rogers. Rey should be ALL-World behind shaun the freak Rogers

Archived