THE BROWNS BOARD

Walter sticks with Curry

Guest Aloysius

The strange thing about this and walters last mock is that in the 6 days since the last one we have swapped running backs with Indy, a whopping 25 places below us, in the 2nd round. Previously we were taking Donald Brown at 36 and Indy taking Shon Greene at 61, now its the opposite way around, anyone know why?

Guest Masters
Mayock on NFL network...whom I respect way more than kiper or fckshay....just said the exact same arguements that are said of Rey M were the exact same arguements of Troy P....looking back would you take Troy P at #5?

I respect Mayock. But a saftey and a ILB are apples and oranges. An ILB doesn't have the extra 5 yards to adjust if he runs himself out of a play. I'd be fine with drafting an ILB, just not Rey M. He is this years Derick Johnson at best imo.

Guest Aloysius
The strange thing about this and walters last mock is that in the 6 days since the last one we have swapped running backs with Indy, a whopping 25 places below us, in the 2nd round. Previously we were taking Donald Brown at 36 and Indy taking Shon Greene at 61, now its the opposite way around, anyone know why?

He must be re-doing his RB rankings. Javon Ringer also dropped 31 picks.

He must be re-doing his RB rankings. Javon Ringer also dropped 31 picks.

I'm not a Ringer fan at all. He's a body builder who got by on his fitness and strength at the college level, but he will add nothing in the league IMO unless he were to go somewhere with a killer running game already. At that point he wouldn't hurt a team, but he is not a difference maker.

I respect Mayock. But a saftey and a ILB are apples and oranges. An ILB doesn't have the extra 5 yards to adjust if he runs himself out of a play. I'd be fine with drafting an ILB, just not Rey M. He is this years Derick Johnson at best imo.

Really? I thought they were the same.....NO SHIT! The question was... looking back at that draft class.... were everyone said and had the same knocks on polamalu as they do rey.... and he TP fell to 16th or so b4 Pitt traded up to get him.....would you pick polamalu 5th overall??? as oppossed to 16th?

Sometimes you just argue for the sake of it.....I know you don't want Rey....you probably think Andra Davis is a good MLB...watever!

None of us are arguing that Rey won't be a good ILB. He just has more weaknesses than Curry, who is about as polished as you get, as well as the same ceiling as Rey. He is the best LB since Willis.

OTOH, I think if Curry is there at 5, theres no doubt we take him. Im just worried about KC. If he is taken, then I hope the Trade Down so someone can take Raji works best, but I wouldnt be mad if we CANT trade down and we take Rey or Beanie there.

Guest Aloysius

Maualuga at a chiseled 245-250 with a coach who strikes the fear of God in him & a contract that still leaves him hungry to earn his second one? That would be a great, possibly elite ILB. But there's no guarantee of that happening.

Instead, what happens if you give him top 5 money, he balloons back up to 260-270, and he's always freelancing because he doesn't like his position coach & he's being paid too much to bench? Obviously, that'd be a disaster.

Hence the good Rey/bad Rey problem here. He could be a great pro, but he's just too much of a risk to take at 5.

Guest Masters
Really? I thought they were the same.....NO SHIT! The question was... looking back at that draft class.... were everyone said and had the same knocks on polamalu as they do rey.... and he TP fell to 16th or so b4 Pitt traded up to get him.....would you pick polamalu 5th overall??? as oppossed to 16th?

Sometimes you just argue for the sake of it.....I know you don't want Rey....you probably think Andra Davis is a good MLB...watever!

My point is the same knocks on Troy P can't expected to be over come as Rey M. A saftey over coming running him self out of plays is way different than a LB. Hence the comment about the extra 5 yards off the ball. It is far easier to over come running the wrong way when you are an extra 5 yards off the LOS when you aren't gonna run into a G.

I have watched Rey for the last two years. He is a product of everyone around him. I was personally at the OSU vs. USC game as well. So I have seen him live. Cushing and Mathews make far more plays week in and week out than Rey. He's a thumper for sure, when he is actually where he should be.

It ain't about arguing. I just thing Rey is as over rated at Lauranitis, when it comes to real impact for a D.

Andre Davs is a good LB. But he is equal to Jackson, in that they are both the weak ILB (or clean up guy) in a 3-4.

Maualuga at a chiseled 245-250 with a coach who strikes the fear of God in him & a contract that still leaves him hungry to earn his second one? That would be a great, possibly elite ILB. But there's no guarantee of that happening.

Instead, what happens if you give him top 5 money, he balloons back up to 260-270, and he's always freelancing because he doesn't like his position coach & he's being paid too much to bench? Obviously, that'd be a disaster.

Hence the good Rey/bad Rey problem here. He could be a great pro, but he's just too much of a risk to take at 5.

Is there a guarantee on any of these guys??? I mean.... really? Shaun Rogers takes up three guys....Rey is best ILB in the draft imo...OUR greatest need for the last 40 years.....take him!

My point is the same knocks on Troy P can't expected to be over come as Rey M. A saftey over coming running him self out of plays is way different than a LB. Hence the comment about the extra 5 yards off the ball. It is far easier to over come running the wrong way when you are an extra 5 yards off the LOS when you aren't gonna run into a G.

I have watched Rey for the last two years. He is a product of everyone around him. I was personally at the OSU vs. USC game as well. So I have seen him live. Cushing and Mathews make far more plays week in and week out than Rey. He's a thumper for sure, when he is actually where he should be.

It ain't about arguing. I just thing Rey is as over rated at Lauranitis, when it comes to real impact for a D.

Andre Davs is a good LB. But he is equal to Jackson, in that they are both the weak ILB (or clean up guy) in a 3-4.

Andra Davis is a good Linebacker?????????????? You have lost all credibility to talk Linebackers with me!

Guest Masters
Andra Davis is a good Linebacker?????????????? You have lost all credibility to talk Linebackers with me!

Guess a lot of people around football don't know good LB either, since he has been talked about for years as someone to trade for, a possible pro bowler, or the one good player on CLEs D 4 years ago. I didn't say he was great or anything. I was clear to say he is the same as Jackson. Guy is playing out of position. He shouldn't be a SILB in a 3-4. He was fine as a 4-3 MLB back when CLE ran it. But I guess bad LB get 138 tackles and 5 sacks their sophmore year in the league, or a 149 tackles their first year in the 3-4.

I know, I know, they are all 5 yards down field (just like Jackson or Patrick Willis). When you have reasonable expectations of Davis, he is good. When you expect him to be something he's not, he's garbage.

By the way, is telling me I lost credibility with you supposed to mean something?

By the way, is telling me I lost credibility with you supposed to mean something?

Not at all, after that analysis!

Andra Davis had a decent year as a rookie and showed promise he hasn't come close to...for you to compare him to patrick willis is a evidence enough for me.

In the '07 draft, Oakland traded down 5 spots (#33 to #38) and netted and additional 4th Round pick. Chicago traded down 25 spots (#37 to #62) and received an additional 3rd and 5th Round pick in the '07 draft, as well as a 3rd Round pick in the '08 draft.

If we traded down, our compensation would probably be somewhere in between. If we could pick up a 3rd Round pick, that'd be sweet.

This is what I really expect to happen. Mangini never sat still in his drafts. As a matter of fact, it was hard keeping up with all the moves he made. No reason to think it'll be different now.

I think he's the kind of guy that knows what he wants and gets aggresive to see that he gets it.

The first three rounds of this draft is talented. I think Mangini will wanted to get that 3rd rounder.

Walter's New Mock
  1. Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

curry.jpg

We take Shonn Greene in the 2nd Round (with Larry English, Fili Moala, and Alphonso Smith still on the board)

Other notable picks:

• Raji to the Packers at 9

• He has the Niners taking Everette Brown over Orakpo at 10

• Maualuga to the Broncos at 12

• Patriots take Aaron Maybin over Brian Cushing at 23

• Ravens get Alphonso Smith in the 2nd - a great pick

• He has Clay Matthews and Rashad Jennings falling to the 3rd - not likely to happpen

NOT SO SURE GREENE MAKES IT TO US IN THE SECOND..BUT WE HAVE TO GET SOMEONE TO PLAY RUNNINGBACK THAT'S FOR SURE.

This is what I really expect to happen. Mangini never sat still in his drafts. As a matter of fact, it was hard keeping up with all the moves he made. No reason to think it'll be different now.

I think he's the kind of guy that knows what he wants and gets aggresive to see that he gets it.

The first three rounds of this draft is talented. I think Mangini will wanted to get that 3rd rounder.

I agree we neede more picks.. Trade anderson and trade down and come out with 4 or 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.. we have a lot of holes to fill

Guest Masters

Not at all, after that analysis!

Andra Davis had a decent year as a rookie and showed promise he hasn't come close to...for you to compare him to patrick willis is a evidence enough for me.

Have you actually watched Willis in the NFL, aside from what ESPN showed his rookie year? The vast majority of his 174 tackles came 5 yards off the line, just like Davis or Jackson. He has very few tackles for a loss. I have dug this one up before, but his TFL were no higher than Davis's. My point is that none of them are game changing LBs. They are weak ILB. In the case of Davis, he has been asked to play SILB, which he will never be. But I don't rag on guys for not being who some expect them to be.

Best case scenario for us is Crabtree is still on the board and we get to trade down a few slots and still get Rey with an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Want to add more picks?

DA is the obvious choice, consider him good as gone.

How about shuffling off K2?

Now before everyone goes apeshit on on me, hear me out.

K2 is probably the most consistent guys we have, yes, I know that.

Problem is he's got 1 more season left and then he's going to want a big extension with a lot of guaranteed money, and with the way the cap is starting to shape up I don't know if we'll be able to afford to keep him. Consider as well, PLUS how many surgeries has he had on his knees to this point? He's going to conk out or his skill sets are going to drop before that big contract is up and put us in cap hell. He's not as fast as he was coming into the pros. He can't block for shit. He's not the mismatch we were all thinking he would be. He blows up and hurts us almost as many times as he helps us. TE is a "deep" position for us we can afford to spare one. The offense looked better last season without him on the field.

So why not get something FOR him before we lose him?

I like the kid to this point, but he's made some bad decisions that are going to affect him long term. We should look to more successful teams as models and cut ties while we're ahead before it costs us dearly.

If there wasn't a cap, I'd say keep him forever, but there is and we can't get attached to our players like we used to growing up.

Just my 2 cents.

Walter's New Mock

1. Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest

curry.jpg

We take Shonn Greene in the 2nd Round (with Larry English, Fili Moala, and Alphonso Smith still on the board)

ALOY... just watched a half hour Butkis award show on foxsports southwest....Curry is impressive....not only on the field but what I heard from the family,his girlfriend,coaches etc...dude has the "be the best that ever was desire , attitude and ethic....I hope he's there when we pick....but I doubt it.

Best case scenario for us is Crabtree is still on the board and we get to trade down a few slots and still get Rey with an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Want to add more picks?

DA is the obvious choice, consider him good as gone.

How about shuffling off K2?

Now before everyone goes apeshit on on me, hear me out.

K2 is probably the most consistent guys we have, yes, I know that.

Problem is he's got 1 more season left and then he's going to want a big extension with a lot of guaranteed money, and with the way the cap is starting to shape up I don't know if we'll be able to afford to keep him. Consider as well, PLUS how many surgeries has he had on his knees to this point? He's going to conk out or his skill sets are going to drop before that big contract is up and put us in cap hell. He's not as fast as he was coming into the pros. He can't block for shit. He's not the mismatch we were all thinking he would be. He blows up and hurts us almost as many times as he helps us. TE is a "deep" position for us we can afford to spare one. The offense looked better last season without him on the field.

So why not get something FOR him before we lose him?

I like the kid to this point, but he's made some bad decisions that are going to affect him long term. We should look to more successful teams as models and cut ties while we're ahead before it costs us dearly.

If there wasn't a cap, I'd say keep him forever, but there is and we can't get attached to our players like we used to growing up.

Just my 2 cents.

K2 has no trade value,for the exact reasons you've listed.

BE on the other hand does have value.

The G-men need to replace Burris and have extra picks,but I'd like to see a trade to the Cards' for Boldin.

Only way this happens is if we swap #1s plus we'd get their #2 & a 3 or 4.

Think about it they'd be com'n out of a SB with a replacement AP WR plus pick at # 5

We get a freak (in more ways than one )WR plus two more picks.

Archived