THE BROWNS BOARD

We Turned Down Offer To Trade Down With Rams

BSipeBomber

Yep, that's the interesting thing, and how we will ultimately judge this draft. If we end up with pro bowlers from the third/fourth rounds here that we passed on then yes we can criticise Lombardi. But on the other hand if we get pro bowlers out of next year's picks, or even bundle them up to move up for a Teddy Twatwater or someone then yes, we can say he did well.

What you said in your last sentence is IMO the exact reason they made those two trades. If they don't like the progression that Weeden makes in year two, they will have two more picks that they can package together to try and move up ( possibly all the way up to the #1pick) and get THEIR QB. And if that's not what happens, well we get a 3rd from a 4th and a 4th from a 5th......WIN WIN either way for us. Most people are just disappointed that we didn't try and fill every hole or need this year with a 4th and 5th round guys. Its a no brainer for me.....I dig it

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this year was a record low for trading for future draft picks, not because teams didn't want to give up their picks this year for pick next year, but because teams we not willing to give next years picks in order to pick again this year. This year was a historically TERRBLE draft class. Light on the first round, deep in the 2nd and 3rd, and then dropped way off in the 4th-7th. Why pick the guys we did in the 6th and 7th then? Well for one we were lucky to trade for the picks that we did get. Secondly we grabbed a guy with 2nd/3rd round value (the actual good talent value section of this years draft) who fell because of injury, then we pick two boom or bust Div II prospects. So we actually managed to make good value on our last three picks.

This whole Lombardi sceeming to make himself look better shit is old. He's good, he's not good. Fuck it. Won't know until we see what the guys can do on the field. I would be listening to the same shit if he (and by he I mean him and fucking Banner cause no one seems to remember he holds equal share in making decisions) had traded down in the 1st and didn't trade our 4th and 5th round picks. Everyone would be bitching about how he let their personal favorite 1st round slip away, and how he picks who they didn't want in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th.

A number of experts said that after the first round this was one of the deepest drafts in years. And I agree.

I think the 2nd and 3rd round ran a bit deep, but after that the draft left a lot to be desired. And are you saying that there will be starters from the 4th round and later or good quality starters. huge difference between someone earning a spot and someone getting thrown in to play. I see a lof of the former happening, and it is what the Bowns were doing the past 2 drafts. Taking someone late and throwing him in as a starter or prominent rotation guy.

Next years draft is going to be much better talent wise, I think we wisely taded those picks. I undestand people have a different opinion on the matter, but I would ather have those picks to either use as ammo to move up in a draft with much more talent, or to take a player with better skill or potential one whole round sooner where we would have used them this year.

I think the 2nd and 3rd round ran a bit deep, but after that the draft left a lot to be desired. And are you saying that there will be starters from the 4th round and later or good quality starters. huge difference between someone earning a spot and someone getting thrown in to play. I see a lof of the former happening, and it is what the Bowns were doing the past 2 drafts. Taking someone late and throwing him in as a starter or prominent rotation guy.

Next years draft is going to be much better talent wise, I think we wisely taded those picks. I undestand people have a different opinion on the matter, but I would ather have those picks to either use as ammo to move up in a draft with much more talent, or to take a player with better skill or potential one whole round sooner where we would have used them this year.

I think it is impossible for a layman to say "this draft is really deep with talent, or that draft is top heavy in the first round but light in talent after that, or like this year they have said "this draft does not have a lot of up front talent but is deep in the later round".

I mean, who the hell really knows

Sometimes you cannot tell until years and years later.

If you saw that ESPN show on the "Elway to Marino" draft, 1983 had like 6-8 Hall of Famers just in that first round.

As do I. I think we'll see a number of third and even fourth round guys start at some point this season.

The nightmare all of us will have in the coming months is Shamarko Thomas, the tough S the Steelers took in the trade with the Browns, intercepting a Weeden pass in the final minute as the Browns drive for the winning TD. You just know it's going to happen!

I think it is impossible for a layman to say "this draft is really deep with talent, or that draft is top heavy in the first round but light in talent after that, or like this year they have said "this draft does not have a lot of up front talent but is deep in the later round".

I mean, who the hell really knows

Sometimes you cannot tell until years and years later.

If you saw that ESPN show on the "Elway to Marino" draft, 1983 had like 6-8 Hall of Famers just in that first round.

It was a deep draft and there are at least two scouts on my primary steeler board that preached it all offseason.

It was a deep draft and there are at least two scouts on my primary steeler board that preached it all offseason.

Well, that is what I heard as well, but then I heard others contradict that. So the "experts can't agree", so how can we layman tell?

Answer: we don't have to. We just sit back and figure it out a few years later.

And one teams "deep draft" may be another teams piece of garbage draft.

Take for instance the 1974 draft. A real suck job of a draft, right? Yes, if you were a Browns fan. You got the privilege of seeing these names called:

Billy Corbett, Mark Ilgenfritz, Billy Pritchett, Bob Herrick, Gerry Sullivan, Don Scott, Mike Peustow, Tom Gooden, Ron McNeil, Mike Seifert, Bob Hunt, Ransom Terrell, Preston Anderson, Carlton Buchanan.

A bunch of freaking household names? Hardly.

But, if you were a Steeler fan, lets see, you got to hear the names of Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, Mike Webster.

Ya follow my point? One guys deep draft is another guys deep pile of shit.

Archived