THE BROWNS BOARD

Syria

I've been reading about that Chris.

Except for the hardcore right and left here it doesn't seem like there's much interest either.

The rebels don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, and I can't imagine why Asaad I would do something like this for no reason.

Nor do I see a handful of Scud missiles making much of a difference.

WSS

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's also a factor for a lot of people - it's not like we'd be removing Asaad and handing over to bunch of level headed guys with beliefs and a democratic system that lines up with the western view of a well run country. I think people are wary of another situation like Egypt where you're removing Murbarak but creating a huge power vacuum, with the consequences they have right now. There would need to be clear evidence that one side is in the wrong, the other side would make a 'fit and proper' government and that there wouldn't be massive uprisings as a consequence.

Look at this shit from March.

http://rt.com/news/syria-rebels-chemical-aleppo-479/

A photographer working for Reuters in Aleppo reported that the witnesses of the attack complained of a strong smell of chlorine near the epicenter of the attack. Reportedly, people had breathing problems and some of them died of suffocation.

"They said that people were suffocating in the streets and the air smelt strongly of chlorine,” the photographer said, stressing that most of the victims he saw while visiting the University of Aleppo hospital and the al-Rajaa hospital were women and children.

and

“This is an extremely alarming and dangerous development of events in the Syrian crisis,” believe Russian diplomats.

The Foreign Ministry stressed it is “seriously concerned” about the fact that WMD has fallen into the hands of the armed militia.

Consider this: the only beneficiaries from the atrocity were the rebels, previously losing the war, who now have Britain and America ready to intervene on their side. While there seems to be little doubt that chemical weapons were used, there is doubt about who deployed them.

It is important to remember that Assad has been accused of using poison gas against civilians before. But on that occasion, Carla del Ponte, a U.N. commissioner on Syria, concluded that the rebels, not Assad, were probably responsible.

So why can't they conclude now?

What a mess. This is a tough one.

But I thought liberals have all the answers.

Here's another tough one. How can it be that your Obama knows all the details regarding the Syrian situation, but knows nothing about what happened in Benghazi?

Perhaps you can clear that up for us.

"Each day that goes by," Kerry said, "this case is getting stronger. I mean, today I'm at liberty to tell you that we now have samples back from first responders in East Damascus - those samples of hair and blood have been tested, and they have reported positive for signatures of sarin. So, we are now getting a stronger case each day. The credibility of the United States is on the line here and I believe that Congress will do the right thing."

No one is second guessing that gas was used you fucking asshole. They really think we are fucking stupid.

"Each day that goes by," Kerry said, "this case is getting stronger. I mean, today I'm at liberty to tell you that we now have samples back from first responders in East Damascus - those samples of hair and blood have been tested, and they have reported positive for signatures of sarin. So, we are now getting a stronger case each day. The credibility of the United States is on the line here and I believe that Congress will do the right thing."

No one is second guessing that gas was used you fucking asshole. They really think we are fucking stupid.

Yet how long did it take for them to acknowledge the fuckups in Benghazi?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/31/krauthammer-amateur-hour-president-obama-syria

President Obama announced today that he will wait for Congress to return from vacation on September 9th for a vote on using limited military action in Syria. The president and Secretary of State John Kerry have both stated that the Assad regime must be held accountable for using chemical weapons on civilians.

Krauthammer believes it’s “absolutely necessary” for the president to seek Congress’s authorization. Deeming it "amateur hour," he said the president should have immediately called in the Congress when the first chemical attack took place. He said that to Syria, Iran and others around the world, “It looks like the president boxed himself into a corner and is looking for a way out.”

so there you have it yet AGAIN folks - the campaigner in chief feels it is more politically expediant to let SOMEONE ELSE make the obvious call!

When congress will say no to the US involvement. On September ...what, 9th? sheesh - what a timely act mr president

So what about Obamas first call to attack Syrias Assad regime?

"It has no purpose whatsoever. Unless it is to assuage the guilty conscience of a president. Or vindicate the vanity of a president who's become a laughingstock around the world and whose word means nothing because last year he spoke about a red line and has allowed all the red lines to be crossed without lifting a finger. Maybe he feels compelled as a way to vindicate himself, but you don't take a country into war as a way to vindicate your own standing," said Krauthammer.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/30/krauthammer-only-purpose-syria-attack-would-be-vindicate-obamas-vanity

nothing ventured - nothing lost and thats for our best result!

except innocents died last spring and the do nothing guy waited....

lll-88230948761.jpeg#lll

we shouldve kicked Assads ass last spring

oh wait, that was the USA we used to know.....

with a real commander in chief!

Yet how long did it take for them to acknowledge the fuckups in Benghazi?

my head just spins on how this still gets lost in the shuffle....http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/20/kerry-clears-state-officials-faulted-in-benghazi-report/

remember the fuckups in the state dept that were put on administrative leave after an independent panel criticized the security and “lack of proactive leadership.

They are back at work in the state dept. And thanks are given to Kerry by the forgotten token blamees! lol

but more importantly - nothing gets done The development comes amid concern that the U.S. still has not captured those responsible for the attack, nearly a year later.

THE BATTLING BOYS OF BENGHAZZI

We're the battling boys of Benghazzi
No fame, no glory, no paparazzi.
Just a fiery death in a blazing hell ...
Defending our country we loved so well.

It wasn't our job, but we answered the call,
fought to the Consulate and scaled the wall.
We pulled twenty Countrymen from the jaws of fate
Led them to safety, and stood at the gate.

Just the two of us, and foes by the score,
But we stood fast to bar the door.
Three calls for reinforcement, but all were denied,
So we fought, and we fought, and we fought til we died.

We gave our all for our Uncle Sam,
But Barack Obama didn't give a damn.
Just two dead seals who carried the load
No thanks to us..........we were just "Bumps In The Road".

yes there is a theme... an unfortunate circumstance "what difference does it make" kind of leadership

the narcissist in chief is looking for the "optimal" outcome for his ineptitude but Iran, North Korea, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and Syria keep getting in the way!

When all is said and done, someone there is authorising the use of chemical weapons. There are teams of people building them, soldiers using them and we have a moral obligation to the people of Syria to put a stop to it. And by 'we' I don't mean America, Britain, Russia, China, Canada, Germany, whatever, I mean the rest of the population of the planet. All this stalling is hopefully just to find out who's responsible - and honestly I'd use their own chemical weapons on them, it's a disgusting, immoral weapon of cowardice.

I don't think we have any moral obligation to be the worlds police force anymore. We cannot control what happens in the middle east. Or if some crazy people get ahold of WMD. If it is a direct threat to the USA or our allies, then yes of course. This is a civil war and I'm not at all convinced that the Syrian government is the ones who used them.

Actually gentlemen, nobody lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Saddam Hussein said he had them gave the Unitednations a list of them and then hindered the searches that were meant to find them. Yes we got some bad intelligence and yes by the time we finally invaded they were gone. Perhaps Saddam Hussein was bluffing. If so tough shit for him. But if we did get bad intelligence purposely why would we not suspect the same here? And yes Chris the rest of the civilized world has a responsibility to stop this type of atrocity. As soon as we are poitive that it wasn't planted.

if I were one of these rebels, who we pretty much agree are scum bags, that seems like a smart thing to do. Deliver a little gas make it look like Asad and have Obama do your dirty work for you. I'm not saying I do that's what happened but...

I'm not saying we need Team America to come in and save the mutha-fucking day now, I mean the rest of the world. A concerted effot, by the world's nations, united against this kind of thing. If only there were some organisation that united nations to deal with this.

America spends more on the military than the rest of top 10 countries combined. That's China, Russia, UK, Japan, France, Saudi Arabia, India, Germany and Italy. That's why you tend to be world police, because you may be the only country that can actually help in most/all cases where it's needed.

Erm, no, this has nothing to do with nukes in Iraq. Unless Bush made some remark about Syria that I don't know about.

well it was widely suspected that the WMD (in this case sarin gas) was being transported (to Syria) as Colin Powell was making the case at the UN.

Guess what?

http://www.mintpressnews.com/witnesses-of-gas-attack-say-saudis-supplied-rebels-with-chemical-weapons/168135/

The Saudis supplied the weapons to the rebels, who had an accident with them.

That is who used the chem wmd. The rebels. KneeJERK Obamao's favorite.

This president has egg on his face now.

Justfor the record even though I think Obama is a bungler and has probably handled this situation poorly I believe that the Congress should authorize him to take action should he see a need. I think it would be a bad precedent for the chief executive, the commander in chief, to have his hands tied by political bickering. He won't always be President so we don't need to start that type of tradition.

WSS

Russia raises alarm over Israeli missile test in Mediterranean

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg
Steve Gutterman 1 hour ago

By Steve Gutterman

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia raised the alarm on Tuesday after detecting the launch of two ballistic "objects" in the Mediterranean Sea but Israel later said it had carried out a joint missile test with the United States.

There were no reports of missile strikes on Syria. Syrian state sources said the missiles had fallen harmlessly into the sea and there were no explosions in the capital Damascus, Russian news agencies reported.

Initial reports of the launch by Russian news agencies had ruffled financial markets because the United States is preparing for a possible military strike on Syria over what it says was a chemical weapons attack by government forces in their conflict with rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

But the Israeli Defence Ministry said it had tested a missile used as a target in a U.S.-funded anti-missile system at 9:15 a.m (0615 GMT), about the same time as the Russian radar picked up the launch.

"The trajectory of these objects goes from the central part of the Mediterranean Sea toward the eastern part of the Mediterranean coast," Russia's Interfax news agency quoted a Defence Ministry spokesman as saying.

The spokesman said the launch was picked up by an early warning radar station at Armavir, near the Black Sea, which is designed to detect missiles from Europe and Iran.

He did not say who had carried out the launch and whether any impact had been detected, but RIA news agency later quoted a source in Syria's "state structures" as saying the objects had fallen harmlessly into the sea.

The Russian Defence Ministry declined comment to Reuters.

The Russian Embassy in Syria said there were no signs of a missile attack or explosions in Damascus, state-run Itar-Tass reported.

Syria's early warning radar system did not detect any missiles landing on Syrian territory, according to a Syrian security source quoted by Lebanon's al-Manar television.

Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu informed President Vladimir Putin of the launch but it was not immediately clear how he reacted.

Brent crude oil extended gains to rise by more than $1 per barrel and Dubai's share index fell after Russia said it detected the launches.

Russia opposes any outside military intervention in the Syrian civil war, and a Defence Ministry official had earlier criticized the United States for deploying warships in the Mediterranean close to Syria.

Assad's government denies responsibility for the deaths of hundreds of people in the alleged poison gas attack on August 21.

Russia, Assad's most powerful backer during the more than two-year-old conflict in Syria, says it suspects the attack was staged by rebels to provoke military intervention and is critical of U.S. naval deployments in the Mediterranean.

Five U.S. destroyers and an amphibious ship are in the Mediterranean, poised for possible strikes against Syria with cruise missiles - which are not ballistic. U.S. officials said the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and four other ships in its strike group moved into the Red Sea on Monday.

"The pressure being applied by the United States causes particular concern," Itar-Tass quoted Russian Defence Ministry official Oleg Dogayev as saying.

He said "the dispatch of ships armed with cruise missiles toward Syria's shores has a negative effect on the situation in the region."

(Writing by Steve Gutterman, Editing by Timothy Heritage/Mark Heinrich)

"As I have walked among the desperate, rejected and angry young men, I have told them that Molotov cocktails and rifles would not solve their problems. I have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through nonviolent action.

But they asked—and rightly so—what about Vietnam? They asked if our own nation wasn't using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted.

Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos, without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today—my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.

We can no longer afford to worship the god of hate or bow before the altar of retaliation. The oceans of history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tides of hate. And history is cluttered with the wreckage of nations and individuals that pursued this self-defeating path of hate." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Justfor the record even though I think Obama is a bungler and has probably handled this situation poorly I believe that the Congress should authorize him to take action should he see a need. I think it would be a bad precedent for the chief executive, the commander in chief, to have his hands tied by political bickering. He won't always be President so we don't need to start that type of tradition.

That's a great point, Steve, but this president has lost all credibility - his lack of integrity is alienating dems now. And given all of Obama's wavering, the Syrian gov is now putting their military in civilian areas. This is the same person who couldn't make a simple vote, and still holds the record for the number of times he voted "present" in Illinois. Couldn't/Wouldn't make any decision. That's the only way to hide himself before being found out to be what he is - an incompetent meglomaniac. He's an internationalist, and his decisions aren't sure to be in our nation's best interest. Where ARE all the lefties now, yelling that "Syria didn't do anything to us."

Archived