THE BROWNS BOARD

10 Commandments In Oklahoma School

Here's the story:

The little town of Muldrow, Okla., is in turmoil after a national nonprofit organization reportedly threatened a lawsuit if postings of the Ten Commandments aren't removed from the walls of a public high school.

A letter from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation (FRFF) was sent to school officials after an anonymous student contacted the organization aboutthe postings of the Ten Commandments at his high school, according to multiple reports.

In the letter, the nonprofit group, which advocates for the separation of church and state, asked the school to pull the postings down. The foundation indicated that a lawsuit would result if the school refused, the Sequoyah County Times reported Friday.

Ever since the letter arrived, the community has been up in arms.

Multiple petitions have been signed by hundreds of people, pray-ins have been held at the school, pro-Christian messages lit up Twitter with the hashtag #FightForFaith, and church officials and politicians have railed against the request to remove the religious postings.

"A nation that refuses to allow educators to teach children right from wrong will become a corrupt nation, where sin prevails, evil abounds, and everyone does as they please," said Republican state Rep. John Bennett, according to the Sequoyah County Times.

"It's Christianity under attack," Muldrow First Baptist Church Pastor John Mooreinveighed. "It was promised in the scripture [that this would happen].

A local church even bought hundreds of T-shirts, printed with the Ten Commandments, and offered them for free to students to wear to school.

The school, for its part, reportedly said students who wore the shirts would be forced to turn them inside out, the Sequoyah County Times reported.

Meanwhile, the anonymous student who first contacted the FRFF took to Reddit to lament that his classmates have "started to figure out" it was he who sent the letter.

"All I have received [since then] were dirty looks and an argument with a rather large linebacker," he wrote. "I am not upset at that because I expected that, what I am upset about is the fact that my little sister has been yelled at by a school bus full of brainwashed children."

Yet in spite of the backlash, it appears the Ten Commandments will probably have to come down.

Muldrow school administrators who consulted legal experts said that a 1980 court ruling meant the plaques would likely have to be removed, according to the Southwest Times Record.

In 1980, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Kentucky statute that had mandated every public school classroom have the Ten Commandments posted on its walls. The ruling has been interpreted to mean public schools cannot have the Ten Commandments on display year-round.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," a statement that has been interpreted through the years to prohibit governmental preference of one religion over another.

The Muldrow School Board is scheduled to meet Monday evening to discuss the matter of whether or not to remove the Ten Commandments from school walls, according to the Southwest Times Record

Anyone think a 10 Commandments display in a public high school is Constitutional and should be allowed to stay?

Yes.

and I'm not even a Christian.

furthermore I think the people who would spend their time, resources and energy to fight to have it removed are a little bit fucked up.

not much different than the people who hate queers.

WSS

A letter from the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation (FRFF) was sent to school officials after an anonymous student contacted the organization about the postings of the Ten Commandments at his high school, according to multiple reports

no need to read any further......

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

lrn2constitution

I emboldened the parts that make the ten commandments in a public school unconstitutional.

Yes.

and I'm not even a Christian.

furthermore I think the people who would spend their time, resources and energy to fight to have it removed are a little bit fucked up.

not much different than the people who hate queers.

WSS

It's not like that at all. Not one bit.

Would you be okay with a bunch of Koran verses being displayed in the same way? Do you think the folks in Oklahoma would be?

Don't look at them?

The fuck.

I'd ask you the same thing, Leg. If a Muslim principal wanted to post his Koran verses on the wall right where the kids walk in because he thought "A nation that refuses to allow educators to teach children right from wrong will become a corrupt nation, where sin prevails, evil abounds, and everyone does as they please" ...you'd be good with that?

I'd ask you the same thing, Leg. If a Muslim principal wanted to post his Koran verses on the wall right where the kids walk in because he thought "A nation that refuses to allow educators to teach children right from wrong will become a corrupt nation, where sin prevails, evil abounds, and everyone does as they please" ...you'd be good with that?

Like this one:

Quran (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Or this:

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Probably not.

Wow, you guys are missing the point, aren't you?

This is a PUBLIC school, not some religious establishment you drive by

Putting up any religious material in this way sends the message that this one religion is the correct one, everything else is wrong. This is just asking for non-Christian kids to take shit. Also the whole separation of church and state thing...

I was a little worried when the article said they were holding pray ins... I thought that would work.

Like this one:

Quran (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah."

Or this:

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Probably not.

Yes yes... and I'm sure there's no Retarded shit in the bible

Like this one:

Or this:

Probably not.

There you go. Well, at least you're honest. You don't mind the government endorsing a religion in schools as long as it's your religion.

I think it was placed there as a decorative reminder of "the golden rule" / right v wrong etc. something that schools used to teach.

Edit:

The presumed "attack" on the 10 commandments has probably taken on a more religious tone than what they were originally hung there with.

Well, you think wrong. If you want to post the Golden Rule, then post the Golden rule. Because the Golden Rule is "Treat others the way you'd like to be treated." That has zero religious value.

And here are the first five of the Ten Commandments:

I am the LORD thy God
Thou shalt have no other gods
No graven images or likenesses
Not take the LORD's name in vain
Remember the sabbath day

That doesn't sound religious to you? Those aren't religious instructions?

Here's what the Supreme Court said. 33 years ago.

The preeminent purpose for posting the Ten Commandments on schoolroom walls is plainly religious in nature. The Ten Commandments are undeniably a sacred text in the Jewish and Christian faiths, [n3] and no legislative recitation of a supposed secular purpose can blind us to that fact. The Commandments do not confine themselves to arguably secular matters, such as honoring one's parents, killing or murder, [p42] adultery, stealing, false witness, and covetousness. See Exodus 20:12-17; Deuteronomy 5:16-21. Rather, the first part of the Commandments concerns the religious duties of believers: worshipping the Lord God alone, avoiding idolatry, not using the Lord's name in vain, and observing the Sabbath Day. See Exodus 20:1-11; Deuteronomy 5:6-15.

This is not a case in which the Ten Commandments are integrated into the school curriculum, where the Bible may constitutionally be used in an appropriate study of history, civilization, ethics, comparative religion, or the like. Abington School District v. Schempp, supra at 225. Posting of religious texts on the wall serves no such educational function. If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments are to have any effect at all, it will be to induce the schoolchildren to read, meditate upon, perhaps to venerate and obey, the Commandments. However desirable this might be as a matter of private devotion, it is not a permissible state objective under the Establishment Clause.

Well, you think wrong. If you want to post the Golden Rule, then post the Golden rule. Because the Golden Rule is "Treat others the way you'd like to be treated." That has zero religious value.

And here are the first five of the Ten Commandments:

I am the LORD thy God

Thou shalt have no other gods

No graven images or likenesses

Not take the LORD's name in vain

Remember the sabbath day

That doesn't sound religious to you? Those aren't religious instructions?

Those are only the first four.

just for the record if somebody had quotations from Mohammed or perhaps some guidelines from the Karan or Confucius, Buddha or Ghandi or Krishna or Vishnu or whoever the fuck they pickedand some non profit organization like the one you have selected was going to court to have it torn down I think they, like you, are bitter little pricks

WSS

Could be. But that would be the guy who`s outraged that somebody dare to put the Ten Commandments on a wall in the United States of America.

Nobody would lead that charge but a bitter paranoid crank.

Come on bud imagine if thats Mr T's railing about a statue of Buddha in a school.

WSS

Archived