THE BROWNS BOARD

10 Commandments In Oklahoma School

Well, you think wrong. If you want to post the Golden Rule, then post the Golden rule. Because the Golden Rule is "Treat others the way you'd like to be treated." That has zero religious value.

And here are the first five of the Ten Commandments:

I am the LORD thy God

Thou shalt have no other gods

No graven images or likenesses

Not take the LORD's name in vain

Remember the sabbath day

That doesn't sound religious to you? Those aren't religious instructions?

Thanks for the ruler on the knuckles, but I know what the 10 commandments are. And if you'd look in Matthew, Jesus addresses the 10 commandments by using the golden rule.

But again, this whole thing is ZZZzzzzz...

Could be. But that would be the guy who`s outraged that somebody dare to put the Ten Commandments on a wall in the United States of America.

Nobody would lead that charge but a bitter paranoid crank.

Come on bud imagine if thats Mr T's railing about a statue of Buddha in a school.

WSS

1) Rules are rules. There is a good reason we have this separation. Just because it affects the majority religion in our country doesn't make it exempt

2) T would go after the actual religion and followers of the religion. That's wrong. Bringing up the whole separation of church and state thing like we are, that's the correct reason

Westside Steve, on 14 May 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Could be. But that would be the guy who`s outraged that somebody dare to put the Ten Commandments on a wall in the United States of America.

Nobody would lead that charge but a bitter paranoid crank.

Come on bud imagine if thats Mr T's railing about a statue of Buddha in a school.

WSS

I agree that this kind of stuff can be taken too far ("That WWI monument has a cross on it - take it down!") but I don't think it's too far in this case. This is clearly unconstitutional. The government can't endorse a specific religious belief in its schools. People want to read Bible verses they can do that on their own time. People want to show other people Bible verses, they can do that on their own time as well.

Not every kid who goes to that school is going to be a Christian. They get to be treated like everyone else. And they get to know their school doesn't prefer the Christian students to them.

It's a public school.

lrn2constitution

I emboldened the parts that make the ten commandments in a public school unconstitutional.

Lol..another lib misinterpreting the first amendment...what a surprise!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

First thing you need to do is look up the word "respecting"...you will find that it means "with regard to" or "having to do with".

This amendment simply states that government shall not make a law proclaiming an "official" religion of the United States....as was in England.

James Madisons summary of the First Amendement....

"Congress should not establish a religion and enforce the legal observation of it by law, nor compel men to worship God in any manner contary to their conscience, or that one sect might obtain a pre-eminence, or two combined together, and establish a religion to which they would compel others to conform"

Nothing here about a judge not being allowed to display the 10 Commandments in his courtroom, or not permitting a nativity scene at City Hall.

This clause has been intentionally misinterpreted by liberal judges because a few liberal asswipes are "offended".

Alan Keys puts it so eloquently, the first 2 minutes is all you need....

End of thread.

There is no "separation of church and state".

The state cannot establish a state religion.

There is no place that says teachers and students can't openly

be Christians, or Budhists.....

Putting up the Ten Commandments by the principal, is fine. He is a free person in a free ? country.

Putting up the Ten Commandments does not establish a state religion.

By the discretion of the principal, he exercised his free speech, and another school principal

can do the same thing, or not do the same thing.

Has nothing to do with having a state religion established and recognized as the official religion of the state.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c1c_1288120178

Lol..another lib misinterpreting the first amendment...what a surprise!

You mean another lib who understands the SCOTUS decisions on the topic. It's clear that everyone bitching about this has never bothered to pay attention to historical SCOTUS cases.

The 10 commandments come from the book of Deuteronomy. Here are other timeless classics from that same book. This thread is now about funny Bible passages.

11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Personally, I'm wowed by a God who is worried about whether or not you're talking about other Gods instead of him.

That sounds like the God I want to believe. At least once he gets by his insecurities.

Psssst.. Careful how you talk about Allah. His followers can blow up over the most trivial of matters.

All religions have some giant flaws

Followers are just brought in at a young age and its all they know and have been told.

There probably are only certain personality types that can look at the big picture and say "Hey, I know I've been doing this my whole life, but this just doesn't add up"

Hopefully it all dies off.

All religions have some giant flaws

Followers are just brought in at a young age and its all they know and have been told.

There probably are only certain personality types that can look at the big picture and say "Hey, I know I've been doing this my whole life, but this just doesn't add up"

Hopefully it all dies off.

Many people turn to religion later in life. You don't know that...you've never been a part of a church?

And all people have flaws. Should they all die off? Seriously - every type of personality is represented in churches.

I just quit going decades ago because of the church splits over issues. I decided it was time well wasted, that I'd rather

just go fishing, where I feel closer to God.

"And all people have flaws. Should they all die off? "

Is that really what you got from that.... sigh

I prefer people not killing each other over their version of a magic man in the sky. I prefer people being proactive and solving problems, not praying and chalking it up to god. I prefer not holding onto the outdated policies and ideologies of the past because its in your story book. I prefer people actively seeking knowledge and advancing society.

If someone needs to rationalize something by using a higher power, great. Religion can be a great source if charity too. I still don't think that outweighs the negatives and regressive influence it has on society.

Archived