THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini thinks he smells a Rat in the Browns organization

JoeSixPat

I know its tough to believe, but it seems like a trusted member of the Browns - someone who's career was nurtured and developed by the organization, may be sharing team secrets, stabbing all those who trusted him in the back. Tough to believe I know.

The good news is that Mangini appears to be hot on their trail! ;)

BROWNS CHECKING CELL PHONE RECORDS?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2009, 10:35 a.m. EST

Though we don’t know whether it played a role in the decision to terminate the employment of director of player personnel T.J. McCreight, we’re hearing rumors and rumblings of a recent effort by the Browns to check cell phone records of employees, presumably in order to identify the source(s) of leaks.

Leaks have been a problem for a while in Cleveland, as evidenced by the fact that the media seemed to be constantly aware of every twist and turn in the team’s search for a new head coach and G.M.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs have kept one of the tightest lids we’ve ever seen on their search for a new G.M., their decision whether to keep coach Herm Edwards, and their search for his replacement.

So regardless of whether McCreight’s departure resulted from this interest in finding and plugging leaks, there’s a chance that other employees will be targeted by such efforts as well.

What if someone has been selling our secrets to the steelers, and that's why we haven't won a damn game against them in so long. That seems like it would go hand in hand with that organization.....

Although I liked all the inside info flying in, it still boils my blood, you dont know what other kind of things personnel could be spilling, and to who

I know its tough to believe, but it seems like a trusted member of the Browns - someone who's career was nurtured and developed by the organization, may be sharing team secrets, stabbing all those who trusted him in the back. Tough to believe I know.

The good news is that Mangini appears to be hot on their trail! ;)

BROWNS CHECKING CELL PHONE RECORDS?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2009, 10:35 a.m. EST

Though we don’t know whether it played a role in the decision to terminate the employment of director of player personnel T.J. McCreight, we’re hearing rumors and rumblings of a recent effort by the Browns to check cell phone records of employees, presumably in order to identify the source(s) of leaks.

If McCreight has been one of our our key personnel scouts the last 4 years - I'll miss him about as much as my last case of food posioning. Our previous talent scouts had no idea what they were looking for in front 7 personnel so we remained over-reliant on free agency for our front 7. LOVED Shaun Rogers but we had to strike out with 2 bad NT draft picks and 2 overpaid FA NT stiffs first. We also drafted David McMillan, Nick Speegle, Chase Pittman. Melila Purcell and other guys that were just plain wrong for the 3-4. His only decent find in 4-5 years has been Jackson and Hall. I'm not wild about Jackson but he showed me some improvement toward the end of the season at makign plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Others adore the kid. My problem is I overrated his immediate impact on draft day and that's my bad. Hall looked like a nice find but we're talking about 4 years so I think we could have done far better than we did.

Anyway, in order for Mangini to succeed - he will need a better eye for talent from the personnel dept IMO. McCreight is only nervous because he doesn't like looking in the mirror.

- Tom F.

If McCreight has been one of our our key personnel scouts the last 4 years - I'll miss him about as much as my last case of food posioning. Our previous talent scouts had no idea what they were looking for in front 7 personnel so we remained over-reliant on free agency for our front 7. LOVED Shaun Rogers but we had to strike out with 2 bad NT draft picks and 2 overpaid FA NT stiffs first. We also drafted David McMillan, Nick Speegle, Chase Pittman. Melila Purcell and other guys that were just plain wrong for the 3-4. His only decent find in 4-5 years has been Jackson and Hall. I'm not wild about Jackson but he showed me some improvement toward the end of the season at makign plays closer to the line of scrimmage. Others adore the kid. My problem is I overrated his immediate impact on draft day and that's my bad. Hall looked like a nice find but we're talking about 4 years so I think we could have done far better than we did.

Anyway, in order for Mangini to succeed - he will need a better eye for talent from the personnel dept IMO. McCreight is only nervous because he doesn't like looking in the mirror.

- Tom F.

McCeight was in charge of pro scouting and evaluating personnel from other teams. He was more involved in FA. He didn't do much with the draft or get involved with college players and was not a college scout. Daniel Jeremiah was Savage's right hand man involved in college scouting and the draft.

What if someone has been selling our secrets to the steelers, and that's why we haven't won a damn game against them in so long. That seems like it would go hand in hand with that organization.....

Although I liked all the inside info flying in, it still boils my blood, you dont know what other kind of things personnel could be spilling, and to who

I'm sure that's the reason the Browns haven't been able to beat the Steelers.

Dan Rooney: (Whispering into the phone) Alright, what do you have for me?

BDT (Browns Deep Throat): (Looks around furtively, then whispers into the phone) You're going to want to pay me double for this one!

Rooney: Sounds good...as long as we win, I'll take care of you.

BDT: See that you do; remember that those two wins every year are what gives you guys homefield advantage.

Rooney: Enough talk--give me the details. What's the gameplan? What are the team's weaknesses?

BDT: Okay, here we go...the team sucks.

Rooney: What? I watch Sunday Countdown, and I could have told you that.

BDT: Yeah, but they only tell you part of the story...this team sucks in ways that would blow your mind. Players, coaches, front office, they all suck.

Rooney: I said details! I'm not paying you to explain the team in terms that the mouth-breathingest message board troll could understand!

BDT: Okay, here are some details. Follow the money.

Rooney: What?!

BDT: Follow the money...to a #2 receiver who can only run on days that don't have a "y" in them...or to a DE who has been playing two-hand touch since the exhibition games, and a #1 pick LB who gets a sack once every four games or so.

Rooney: (Cautiously) Alright, tell me more...

BDT: Okay, you wanted gameplan details, here are some. The coach is trying to keep it quiet, but he's planning on calling a timeout to decide whether or not it's a good idea to challenge calls, then challenging them anyway. If the team is within thirty points in the fourth quarter, get ready for field goals. Oh, and if Roethlisberger is looking for a leg up, here's a hint about our defensive strategy: they're planning on not rushing the QB, leaving the middle of the field wide open to any and all receivers, and they're putting Terry Cousins out there.

Rooney: Good, good...you're starting to earn your money now. What about the offense?

BDT: Even though Jamal Lewis is averaging about a yard per carry, expect to see him early and often. Don't expect to see the other RBs. If Edwards gets thrown the ball, he's working on some new ways of dropping it--pretty scary stuff. Winslow is someone you should be concerned about, but his arm falls off about the third quarter of every game.

Rooney: But Quinn...what about Quinn?!

BDT: Two words, my man...screen pass.

Rooney: Screen pass?

BDT: Screen pass.

Rooney: My friend, you've outdone yourself this time. Armed with the information that we're playing a team with mediocre talent, lousy coaching, and a dysfunctional front office, we might be able to pull this one out.

BDT: I'm worried, though. What about the fans? I think they're onto me.

Rooney: The fans? The fans? You mean the people who are still pointing to a missed holding call from the 1971 exhibition season as proof of a longstanding, league-wide conspiracy to help the Steelers--with no explanation for why the league would conspire to help one team win for thirty years? With no explanation of how every single other conspiracy ever perpetrated--by individuals or government--has been exposed except this one? Trust me, you don't need to worry your pretty little head about the fans...besides, they're the ones who were caught on tape chanting "Super Bowl" at this year's Browns training camp...do you think anyone is going to take their theories seriously?

BDT: I guess you're right, Big Daddy. Oh, wait, the water on my desk is starting to ripple...I think Mangini is coming! I have to go!

(Click)

Rooney: (To himself) Fools, they'll never know...wait a minute, why am I wasting money bribing a guy who works for a team the Steelers could beat with their JV team? I knew I should have put a plant in the Patriots' offices instead! Oh, well, back to figuring out how to rig the coin toss for the Super Bowl...

Dennis

I have always suspected rip scherer of being a stooler stooly..i have read keenan saying that the 18 layoffs.. cough cough were to keep things honest and realistic/effecient.. layoffs we know there is leaks and people intentionally not doing their jobs throughout the organization thank gawd randy/mangini are finally taking out the trash!

I'm beginning to think that maybe Lerner's not as dumb as he appears.

After all - it takes a snitch to find a snitch!

You seemed obsessed with all this snitch stuff.

Belichick cheated, Mangini caught him, no one outside of New York or Boston really cares or cared.

It's not what anybody thinks about when they think of Mangini nor Belichick, yet you seem like it's some big deal or something.

You should concern yourself with how you are going to overtake Miami.

Zombo

Belichick cheated, Mangini caught him, no one outside of New York or Boston really cares or cared.

It's not what anybody thinks about when they think of Mangini nor Belichick, yet you seem like it's some big deal or something.

Jets fans used to say the same thing. Now they're hoping that they don't lose draft picks because Mangini tattles about instances of Tannenbaum tampering or who knows what else. ;)

Jets fans used to say the same thing. Now they're hoping that they don't lose draft picks because Mangini tattles about instances of Tannenbaum tampering or who knows what else. ;)

Are you like Mangini's stalker or something?

Zombo

Are you like Mangini's stalker or something?

Zombo

Nah - just a loyal Patriots fan!

I'm not expecting you'd understand. Clearly if Mangini left the Browns for the Steelers in a few years and told the commissioner about various instances of tampering that caused the Browns to lose draft picks, that wouldn't bother you.

Which is a good thing, as given Mangini's history that's exactly the chance Lerner's taking with this guy.

But I give you guys credit for being so mellow and cool about that sort of thing. 20 years ago or so, that might not be the case, as I recall a very intense rivalry with the Steelers and other division rivals. Man, back then Browns fans were some of the most rabid on the face of the planet!

The fact that the fanbase is somewhat ambivilent about such things today reaffirms that Lerner knows what he's doing by taking a chance on a guy who won't hesitate to undermine an organizatoin that gave him a shot when no one else would.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Mangini's the worst coach in the world (though hopefully he doesn't promise to name any more children after Brett Favre in order to coax him to the Browns)... I'm just saying if Browns fans are looking for loyal head coach, they've got the wrong guy on the field!

(and "Zombo" to you as well!)

Well I guess Belicheat shouldn't of.....uhhhh......cheated??

Maybe that would of prevented ALL of that from happening.

If nobody cheats and everybody plays by the rules then he has nothing to "rat" about.

Quit pissing and moaning, your team has won several super bowls this decade, so you pissing and moaning to a bunch of Browns fans about this isn't going to garner you much support or sympathy.

I fully agree. Taping signals is fully legal and even encouraged by the NFL which sets rules that allow it from the approved locations - just as it has been for more than 50 years. What's NOT legal is taping signals from the sidelines, and unfortunately for the Patriots, since most fans aren't smart enough to know that taping signals is allowed (let alone being knowledgable about the legality of stealing signals) Goodell took away one of the Patriots two 1st round draft picks to make himself look "tough" to punish the Patriots for breaking a silly rule amid what was largely perceived as "signal stealing scandal" even though signal stealing is condoned.

Which is why I mentioned tampering... another silly rule since pretty much everyone acknowldges that every team does it, though only the stupid teams get caught - and the commissioner has taken draft picks away from those stupid teams that embarass him by getting caught.

I guess you can't blame Mangini either - he's loyal to himself - and no organization.

I mean, who here would fault him if he did go to a division rival of the Browns, determine that he could help himself and his new team by squealing about tampering or some other rule violation?

No one here - that's for sure. You guys are getting my vote for the most laid back, mellow fans in the NFL!

LMAO, this is comedy Gold, COMEDY GOLD. I'm hoping my sarcasm meter is off. :lol:

I fully agree. Taping signals is fully legal and even encouraged by the NFL which sets rules that allow it from the approved locations - just as it has been for more than 50 years. What's NOT legal is taping signals from the sidelines, and unfortunately for the Patriots, since most fans aren't smart enough to know that taping signals is allowed (let alone being knowledgable about the legality of stealing signals) Goodell took away one of the Patriots two 1st round draft picks to make himself look "tough" to punish the Patriots for breaking a silly rule amid what was largely perceived as "signal stealing scandal" even though signal stealing is condoned.

Which is why I mentioned tampering... another silly rule since pretty much everyone acknowldges that every team does it, though only the stupid teams get caught - and the commissioner has taken draft picks away from those stupid teams that embarass him by getting caught.

I guess you can't blame Mangini either - he's loyal to himself - and no organization.

I mean, who here would fault him if he did go to a division rival of the Browns, determine that he could help himself and his new team by squealing about tampering or some other rule violation?

No one here - that's for sure. You guys are getting my vote for the most laid back, mellow fans in the NFL!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Maybe it's your posts that's putting us all to sleep ? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nah - just a loyal Patriots fan!

I'm not expecting you'd understand. Clearly if Mangini left the Browns for the Steelers in a few years and told the commissioner about various instances of tampering that caused the Browns to lose draft picks, that wouldn't bother you.

Yes, but you are missing a small step here ... well actually, it's a quantum leap:

Let's use your scenario: an assistant coach leaves the Browns and becomes head coach of the Steelers (By the way, where do you think Noll and Cowher came from?) and as Steeler HC he turns in the Browns HC for cheating. Then three years later he gets fired and then gets hired by Kansas City .... and I, a Browns fan, spend the month of January on the Chiefs board obsessing about this former assistant. Do you see where you are making the leap from good-natured rival to ... man stalker?

(and "Zombo" to you as well!)

Listen, I don't know what that means, but I have had all the psycho-stalkers one man can handle in a lifetime ... latch on to Dency: he's younger, funnier and fits better into Mangini's clothes.

Zombo

You guys are getting my vote for the most laid back, mellow fans in the NFL!

Good call.

Let's put aside the Dawgpound (which you wouldn't last two minutes in) and being the only franchise to defiantly restore our name, our colors and our team from the NFL ... this is what we do when we are 6-6 and we get a bad call against Jacksonville:

Yeah, Patsy ... we're laid back.

Zombo

Let's put aside the Dawgpound (which you wouldn't last two minutes in) and being the only franchise to defiantly restore our name, our colors and our team from the NFL ...

Dawgpound? Didn't you hear? Mangenius has decreed that every member be spayed or neutered. :lol:

It's all part of his plan to erase the past so fans and players aren't boasting about accomplishments from 1999 and earlier.

Zombo

No That would be because we are BETTER than you. Duh...And what do you think they were Radioing in the Plays ??? LOL...Hilarious !

Good call.

Let's put aside the Dawgpound (which you wouldn't last two minutes in) and being the only franchise to defiantly restore our name, our colors and our team from the NFL ... this is what we do when we are 6-6 and we get a bad call against Jacksonville:

Yeah, Patsy ... we're laid back.

Zombo

Will we all KNOW that would never happen in CINCINNATI !!! HA HA HA.... Gotta give Props to the Brownie Nation for Making a Statement !! LOL...

It's called an inferiority complex.

Kinda like when a fat guy hangs out with even fatter guys so he doesn't seem so fat.

Unfortunately this guy is a Retard who decided to hang out at a MENSA meeting.

What a tool....

Or is it a Dumb guy hanging out with DUMBER Guys ? That`s what Your Analogy indicates . Go back and look at what you said. I know what you meant though ...lol....

Archived