THE BROWNS BOARD

Government Shutdown Over Obamacare

That's the latest from Capitol Hill. The Republicans are threatening to shut down the government and/or refuse to raise the debt ceiling if Obamacare is not repealed.

Mike Lee is leading the effort in the Senate. 64 House Republicans have signed a letter to Boehner suggesting he do the same. You can read about it here.

Anyone in here think that's a good idea? Will you support that?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so last week.....

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dem-senator-obamacare-switch-was-law-how-can-they-change-law_739179.html

"This was the law. How can they change the law?" Harkin- D

dont mind if I answer that Tom..... you are retiring... we cant afford to allow another election cycle go by and risk another huge loss politically

by what this HC law will do to small business' let alone families who will foot the bill starting next Jan....

bait and switch the people Tom- Cmon get with it ok? J Carney

"This was the law. How can they change the law?" Harkin- D

It's your leader that is selectively changing the law.

Listen closely you dumb ass democrat...

“The president has said that he’s not willing and not able to enforce Obamacare as it was written,” Sen. Lee told TheBlaze in a phone interview. “And so he has chosen instead to enforce this law selectively.”

“He has picked out two things that he has said he won’t enforce. One is the employer mandate and the other is the requirement that the government obtain some kind of proof for those who are claiming eligibility for Obamacare exchange subsidies,” he added.

The senator continued, arguing that the president “doesn’t have the power” to selectively enforce and amend laws passed by Congress.

“Once a law is passed by Congress, in order to amend that law, you have to go back to Congress and you have to amend it in the same way that you passed the original law,” he said.

“If the president isn’t going to enforce this law, the American people shouldn’t be required to fund it.

“Those that feel this way should stand up and say they won’t vote for any continuing resolution that contains funding for further implementation and enforcement of Obamacare,” he added.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/07/23/last-call-if-you-want-obamacare-out-sen-mike-lee-needs-your-support/

Obamaocare must be repealed. Several of us SAID well before, that we can't afford it,

and it won't do what they say it will do. It's a gigantic disaster, and Obamao is backtracking it

as much as he can, unions are getting really po'd, ...

If they have to shut the gov down, then so be it. Our national debt is out of control, and the dems

couldn't care less as long as they can still get the votes. Well, that is finally going to fail them, I think..

to a point.

Things are really getting out of hand, and we must stop the spending increases.

And hell no, no more raising of the debt limit. Who the hell supports that again?

and...

you are against the possibility of a shutdown, we take it, Heck?

(just say no, but be for a gov shutdown if we have a Rep pres after 2016, right?)

Let's all remember this....

I think using the continued threat of a government shutdown or refusing to raise the debt limit are indications of a political system/Party that has ceased to function properly.

Here's how I'd rather see it work: the 2012 election was a referendum on, among other things, Obamacare. And Obama got 8 million more votes than Mitt Romney. If you wanted to repeal Obamacare, that was the time to do it. But you lost. In an election.

What shouldn't come next is the phase where you sabotage the law. They should be working to fix what's wrong with it, or offering their own proposals on health care. (Remember repeal and replace? Whoever could have guessed that they only had one part of that in mind!)

The Republican Party simply isn't interested anymore. You guys are perfect examples. You don't have ideas about policies. You have ideas about people you don't like.

That's not what politics is for. That's what therapy is for.

From the looks of it you don't seem to know what the debt limit is. It's not a spending parameter. It doesn't constrain spending. The spending has already been authorized and the money has already gone out. We raise the debt limit to pay our bills. By not raising the debt ceiling, the Republicans are threatening to have the US default on its obligations - not pay the bills on money we've already spent - in order to get their way.

You think that's how our system should work?

But hey, you got to make it about me. I'm so glad I can perform this function for you guys. Some people burn effigies. People who believe in voodoo use a doll. You guys have me.

Heh.

no problem bud. The credit card is maxed out? Just get your limit raised. Who cares? When the shit hits the fan somebody else will probably be in the Oval Office and get reamed for it.

And remember we made those laws those limits at cetera just to placate the rubes.

WSS

WSS

If you could only find facts to marry with your opinions, or type more than partisan angst, or more than a paragraph at a time, you might be interesting to someone who knew more than Cal.

Have fun impressing him with "the credit card is maxed out" and "every Democratic policy has only one goal: to buy votes."

We shouldn't have a debt ceiling. It serves no function. And now instead of being a harmless formality, it's a hostage. So yes, do away with it entirely.

The spending exists whether or not we have a debt ceiling. If you want to cut spending, cut spending. If you want to raise spending, raise spending. But don't do either and then not pay for the spending you just voted to spend. It's absurd.

Raising the debt ceiliing allows for more and more and more and more and more spending,

incurring more and more and more and more bills, which makes less and less and less and less

and less sense because our national debt it AT critical mass right now.

But the dems are in control of the exec branch, and Senate, so you want to keep

spending and incurring more bills.

Until the reps have the WH and Senate and House. Then you will revert back to "Our national debt is

spending our children's futures to oblivion, and it is unpatriotic of this Republican president".

It all emotionally switches, depending on your political bent.

The rest of us hate the debt the whole entire time.

Norm Ornstein: "When a law is enacted, representatives who opposed it have some choices (which are not mutually exclusive). They can try to repeal it, which is perfectly acceptable--unless it becomes an effort at grandstanding so overdone that it detracts from other basic responsibilities of governing. They can try to amend it to make it work better--not just perfectly acceptable but desirable, if the goal is to improve a cumbersome law to work better for the betterment of the society and its people. They can strive to make sure that the law does the most for Americans it is intended to serve, including their own constituents, while doing the least damage to the society and the economy. Or they can step aside and leave the burden of implementation to those who supported the law and got it enacted in the first place."

"But to do everything possible to undercut and destroy its implementation--which in this case means finding ways to deny coverage to many who lack any health insurance; to keep millions who might be able to get better and cheaper coverage in the dark about their new options; to create disruption for the health providers who are trying to implement the law, including insurers, hospitals, and physicians; to threaten the even greater disruption via a government shutdown or breach of the debt limit in order to blackmail the president into abandoning the law; and to hope to benefit politically from all the resulting turmoil--is simply unacceptable, even contemptible."

Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) on Thursday tore into efforts by his GOP colleagues to shut down the government if Democrats don't agree to defund Obamacare.

"I think it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of," he told reporters. "Listen, as long as Barack Obama is president, the Affordable Care Act is going to be law."

"I was around in '95. I think some of these guys need to understand, you shut down the federal government, you better have a specific reason to do it that's achievable. Defunding the Affordable Care Act is not achievable through shutting down the federal government."

Burr isn't anymore a genuine conservative than John McCain.

He's a rino. try again.

About 473,000 results (0.31 seconds)
Search Results
  1. Senate RINO Roll Call on McGrahamnestyio, including Richard Burr ...
    www.americavictorious.com/.../senate-rino-roll-call-on-mcgrahamnestyi...‎
    Jun 12, 2013 - The Chuck Schumer Republicans Roll Amnesty Train Down the Cliff | RedState. “Now that we have brought the amnesty-first supporters out of ...
  2. Richard Burr, United States Senator of North Carolina: Home
    www.burr.senate.gov/‎
    3 days ago - Official site includes biography, press releases, photo gallery, contact information, and latest news.
  3. RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again! | John Jacob H's ...
    johnjacobh.wordpress.com/.../rino-republican-richard-burr-strikes-again/‎
    Dec 5, 2009 - This entry was posted in politics, Senator Richard Burr File, Uncategorized and ... 9 Responses to RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again!
  4. Richard Burr: RINO
    rinosandrats.com › RINOs
    Aug 2, 2011 - You are here: Home / RINOs / Richard Burr: RINO ... DEBT CEILING BILL: This senator voted YES to S. 365 on the final vote to raise the debt ...
  5. RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again!(Health Care Gun ...
    www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2400968/posts‎
    Dec 5, 2009 - RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again! ... The State that gave the nation Jesse Helms (Senator NO), now has Richard Burr (Senator ...
  6. Could Richard Burr Be A RINO? | North Carolina Tea Party
    www.ncteaparty.com/2010/12/could-richard-burr-be-a-rino/‎
    Dec 22, 2010 - Folks we have had a slew of emails come in about how bad Richard Burr is, how they regret voting for him last month and sending facts about ...
  7. Citizens against Senator Richard Burr - Timeline | Facebook
    www.facebook.com/CitizensAgainstSenatorRichardBurr/timeline?filter=2
    Citizens against Senator Richard Burr. 54 likes · 0 ... Burr should be tarred and feathered I will vote for whoever runs against this lying RINO waste of breath.
  8. Sad to hear of Sen. Lautenberg's... - Senator Richard Burr | Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRichardBurr/posts/579459685440579‎
    Senator Richard Burr · 6,759 like this. June 3 at ... Len Tower Senator Burr, you are to kind. June 3 at ... I'll never trust the RINO in you ever again. June 3 at 10: ...
  9. Obama found out about the IRS scandal... - Senator Richard Burr ...
    https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRichardBurr/posts/571847342868480‎
    Senator Richard Burr · 6,745 like this .... Vince Beasley That's PRESIDENT Obama to you, senator... show some ... No more dinners with him and the RINO's!
  10. A Senate Divided: GOP Senator Says Mike Lee's Plan to Defund ...
    www.theblaze.com/.../a-senate-divided-gop-senator-says-mike-lees-plan-to-...
    7 hours ago - Richard Burr on Thursday called Lee's plan the "dumbest idea I've ... If anyone had any doubts about the RINO's/Establishment types in the ...

Burr isn't anymore a genuine conservative than John McCain.

He's a rino. try again.

About 473,000 results (0.31 seconds)

Search Results

1. Senate RINO Roll Call on McGrahamnestyio, including Richard Burr ...

www.americavictorious.com/.../senate-rino-roll-call-on-mcgrahamnestyi...‎

Jun 12, 2013 - The Chuck Schumer Republicans Roll Amnesty Train Down the Cliff | RedState. “Now that we have brought the amnesty-first supporters out of ...

2. Richard Burr, United States Senator of North Carolina: Home

www.burr.senate.gov/‎

3 days ago - Official site includes biography, press releases, photo gallery, contact information, and latest news.

3. RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again! | John Jacob H's ...

johnjacobh.wordpress.com/.../rino-republican-richard-burr-strikes-again/‎

Dec 5, 2009 - This entry was posted in politics, Senator Richard Burr File, Uncategorized and ... 9 Responses to RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again!

4. Richard Burr: RINO

rinosandrats.com › RINOs

Aug 2, 2011 - You are here: Home / RINOs / Richard Burr: RINO ... DEBT CEILING BILL: This senator voted YES to S. 365 on the final vote to raise the debt ...

5. RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again!(Health Care Gun ...

www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2400968/posts‎

Dec 5, 2009 - RINO Republican Richard Burr Strikes Again! ... The State that gave the nation Jesse Helms (Senator NO), now has Richard Burr (Senator ...

6. Could Richard Burr Be A RINO? | North Carolina Tea Party

www.ncteaparty.com/2010/12/could-richard-burr-be-a-rino/‎

Dec 22, 2010 - Folks we have had a slew of emails come in about how bad Richard Burr is, how they regret voting for him last month and sending facts about ...

7. Citizens against Senator Richard Burr - Timeline | Facebook

www.facebook.com/CitizensAgainstSenatorRichardBurr/timeline?filter=2

Citizens against Senator Richard Burr. 54 likes · 0 ... Burr should be tarred and feathered I will vote for whoever runs against this lying RINO waste of breath.

8. Sad to hear of Sen. Lautenberg's... - Senator Richard Burr | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRichardBurr/posts/579459685440579‎

Senator Richard Burr · 6,759 like this. June 3 at ... Len Tower Senator Burr, you are to kind. June 3 at ... I'll never trust the RINO in you ever again. June 3 at 10: ...

9. Obama found out about the IRS scandal... - Senator Richard Burr ...

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRichardBurr/posts/571847342868480‎

Senator Richard Burr · 6,745 like this .... Vince Beasley That's PRESIDENT Obama to you, senator... show some ... No more dinners with him and the RINO's!

10. A Senate Divided: GOP Senator Says Mike Lee's Plan to Defund ...

www.theblaze.com/.../a-senate-divided-gop-senator-says-mike-lees-plan-to-...

7 hours ago - Richard Burr on Thursday called Lee's plan the "dumbest idea I've ... If anyone had any doubts about the RINO's/Establishment types in the ...

Everyone with a head on their shoulders is a RINO.

How about Tom Coburn, too. Also RINO?

Byron York: "Tensions inside the Republican Party about a proposal to defund Obamacare reached a new level Friday when Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), a lawmaker with unsurpassed credibility in the field of cutting federal spending and limiting the size of government, called the defunding plan 'dishonest' and 'hype.'"

Said Coburn: "I'd love to defund it. I'd be leading the charge if I thought this would work. But it will not work."

Archived