THE BROWNS BOARD

The Amazing Tale of Colt McCoy

Shep

The Niners are bringing in Seneca Wallace, purportedly to cut McCoy who couldn't beat out Scott Tolzien... and now might not be considered good enough to be the THIRD QB.

Consider this: At one point, some draftnicks had McCoy going early in round 2 to the Browns. Just absolutely blows my mind for a guy who flat out does NOT have NFL caliber arm talent, backup or otherwise.

At least Texas isn't giving that same McCoy entitlement to his younger brother, David Ash's caddy. You know, the guy who said big brother's problems could all be blamed on the Browns?

Certainly brings Bernie Kosar's personnel eye into question. He said over and over that Colt McCoy had what it takes to win in this league. Doh!

The Niners are bringing in Seneca Wallace, purportedly to cut McCoy who couldn't beat out Scott Tolzien... and now might not be considered good enough to be the THIRD QB.

Consider this: At one point, some draftnicks had McCoy going early in round 2 to the Browns. Just absolutely blows my mind for a guy who flat out does NOT have NFL caliber arm talent, backup or otherwise.

At least Texas isn't giving that same McCoy entitlement to his younger brother, David Ash's caddy. You know, the guy who said big brother's problems could all be blamed on the Browns?

Certainly brings Bernie Kosar's personnel eye into question. He said over and over that Colt McCoy had what it takes to win in this league. Doh!

Lest we remind you of your love for claustrich, sanchez and leinart..they all SUCK..!!!!!!.

Plus, Colt sucking and Wallace signing has been discussed in other threads ... do we really need one last Colt thread?

Holmgren threw a third rounder at him, it didn't work out. End of story.

Zombo

Plus, Colt sucking and Wallace signing has been discussed in other threads ... do we really need one last Colt thread?

Holmgren threw a third rounder at him, it didn't work out. End of story.

Zombo

Based on the experience here though, I would still rather have Colt than Wallace.

But, OK, the three guys we got here now may all be better than either of them.

Based on the experience here though, I would still rather have Colt than Wallace.

But, OK, the three guys we got here now may all be better than either of them.

I'd rather have Colt than Wallace only because Wallace seemed like a pain in the ass who believes he should be a starter. Colt stinks but from all accounts he's a good guy and should be able to have a long career as a back up because of his attitude.

It appears then that Colt may be on the free agent market with the likes of Charlie Batch (who may actually have retired), Byron Leftwich, Tyler Thigpen, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinert.

I see where Vince Young may not be with the Packers. Can anyone confirm that?

Just reminds me of everyone saying how "Colt didn't get a fair chance to compete" last year to start over Weeden... LOL

McCoy may be a good kid with high character, but that doesn't cut it in the NFL... I can only imagine watching Kaepernick zing the ball damn near 60mph in practice everyday, and then put in the backup who throws it about 40mph... I could see why Colt would look so bad. Same as comparing Weeden to McCoy based on arm strength...

Jim Harbaugh likes a fairly complicated offense, similiar to the one he ran when he QB'ed Indy. In terms of McCoy getting cut, it may be due more to his inability to grasp than offense than due to physical ability. Further, Senaca Wallace has a style closer to Kapernick's than does McCoy. A third round pick spent on a bust QB isn't a franchise killer, ala Ryan Leaf. Though, come to think of it, the Chargers didn't exactly suffer too long after that Leaf pick.

It appears then that Colt may be on the free agent market with the likes of Charlie Batch (who may actually have retired), Byron Leftwich, Tyler Thigpen, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinert.

He is still struggling to make the team as #3 qb

i heard he had a decent game last night. 8/23

McCoy isn't the "good guy" some want to believe just because he's a Christian with freckles. After he left, there was lots of talk that he was spoiled, entitled, and definitely not a team guy. Being part of a well-off "football family" in Texas is like being that son of the veep in "Homeland."

(And yes, Leinart and Clausen apparently suck!)

That said, Tannehill is my new Rodgers, my feather to balance the other feather (!).

He is still struggling to make the team as #3 qb

i heard he had a decent game last night. 8/23

Vince Young is definitely with the Packers. Watched him play last night. I thought he played well considering he hasn't played in a while. Still has the scrabbling ability that is for sure.

McCoy isn't the "good guy" some want to believe just because he's a Christian with freckles. After he left, there was lots of talk that he was spoiled, entitled, and definitely not a team guy. Being part of a well-off "football family" in Texas is like being that son of the veep in "Homeland."

That said, Tannehill is my new Rodgers, my feather to balance the other feather (!).

Shep, we're not ragging on you because you love quarterbacks. However, I have to remind you about that little thing you had about Brady Quinn. Hehe- I didn't. OK, I was about 90% wrong about Couch.

I can only imagine watching Kaepernick zing the ball damn near 60mph in practice everyday, and then put in the backup who throws it about 40mph... I could see why Colt would look so bad. Same as comparing Weeden to McCoy based on arm strength...

all well and good until goodell finds out about kaepernicks' connection with the bloods on the west side.

bye bye baby, bye bye.

Smith is my favorite feather, not a miss. Most accurate QB in football last year according to PFF (82.6% when drops are removed). He's a very, very good quarterback and actually has been for longer than some realize.

BTW, I was an E.J. Manuel fan in a big way this offseason. It's as much about the way he carries himself as the tape. I gradually began to believe he was the best prospect in a weak group... and he went highest. I do think the Browns were fans, just not where they were drafting.

I had a bad run underestimating the importance of arm strength in the NFL (small windows): Quinn, Leinart, Kafka, and Clausen all fit that. Guys who looked the part, SEEMED like NFL QBs, but it all looked very different when the lights went on. That's why I didn't "over pump" Barkley. I learnt my lesson well.

One of my favorite draft darlings of the past few years was Nick Foles. I was stunned when he was projected (and taken) in the 3rd round, had watched him a lot and thought he was a first round talent. He went 10 of 11 last night and led a 99 yard scoring drive, has a preseason PR of like 130... and fits that offense not at all. He's gonna be a really nice trade chip for them sooner than later. Probably next offseason for a 2nd. He and Mallett will get a lot of buzz as alternatives to the draft.

rank-o-meter tipped wrongly, Shep. Old Colt McCoy has been named the backup qb behind Kaepernick.

How long, who knows. But he's a better option than Wallace.

"Although he finished 11-for-15 passing, he threw for only 109 yards (with several of those coming after the catch) and was sacked once. McCoy's best throw of the night was a nice touch pass downfield for 19 yards to new receiver Jon Baldwin."

hey we've all had our love affairs with browns players.

i hated the mcoy pick but once there i rooted for him as an underdog.

since then i've realized the kid doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL.

sorta like brady quinn....DA.... etc. etc. who you touted to be the second coming of joe montana.

i'll gladly tell everyone i was wrong about this kid (why? when i never liked the pick).

you roll the dice on every draft pick. holmgren was the worse and no one would listen.

at least i got that right......quinn queef.

Harbaugh says Colt McCoy is his guy

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 26, 2013, 6:01 AM EDT

x350-161-e1377511249644.jpg?w=190AP

Sometimes coaches see things we scribes, pundits and so-called experts fail to see.

Such was the case late last night, when 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said Colt McCoy had done enough to win the backup quarterback job.

I feel real good about Colt as the backup quarterback,” Harbaugh said after Sunday’s game, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

Meetings last week apparently put him on more stable footing.

“Jim (Harbaugh) and I had a great week. We talked and we met a lot,” McCoy said. “Between us, I think we figured each other out a lot better.

“I hadn’t performed the way I know I can’t perform. I hadn’t picked up the offense as well as I’d like to.”

It was a big weekend for the quarterback, who helped his chances of staying by agreeing to a pay cut as well.

“It really happened quick,” McCoy said. “This is a tremendous team. It’s well-coached. It’s a great organization from top to bottom. And when I was approached. This is personal, but I’m glad to be here. That’s new to me. I’d never done anything like that. But it’s all fine.”

Of course, to suggest McCoy is on stable footing would be a little naive. He was dangled in trade talks over the weekend, and his line from last night’s game (11-of-15 for 109 yards with an interception) wasn’t the kind of light bulb moment that made you see his true brilliance as a player.

Mostly, it seems about a temporary lack of better options. McCoy played the bulk of the game, with rookie B.J. Daniels getting some time, along with Seneca Wallace. Scott Tolzien didn’t play, which can’t help his chances of hanging on.

Because we needed a third Colt McCoy thread ...

In other news, Thad Lewis traded to the Bills ... I hope he beats out Matt Leinart, he looked every bit as good as McCoy last year.

Z

i'm going to preface my comments here by saying this is a touchy subject to me. i know people jump all over other people in this mob rules mentality when a guy you stick up for suddenly sucks.

i hated the mccoy pick. but under the circumstances and given what tools he had to work with, i grew to like the kid, cuz i always root for the underdog when i don't give a fuck about a head to head competition. i've seen many of small dudes beat the piss out of these "i'll take you outside and your girlfriend is a whore" type situations and that suits me just fine.

remember who it was who had to climb up and reach for this pick. yep. mike holmgren. who half of you motherfuckers swore up and down was the second coming of christ and was going to be the next paul brown. well not only did he leave a shit stain on all of your chins but he fucked up this kid's NFL career (if he ever had one) by surrounding him with the like of our great offensive talent at the time e.g. robiskie, massaquoi, hardesty and hillis and his first year lame duck coach in mangini and to follow up with shurmur.

talk about a unlevel playing field.

people get attached to players and it's almost a 'go down with the ship mentality' when someone bad mouths 'their' guy. i took it that way last year when weeden continued to struggle with his reads and kept throwin pick sixes and was a leader of the 'well let's see what mccoy could do!' chants.

all i can say is his family produced some great TEXAS football players who still hold records today at that level of competition.

BUT

if you were to ask me today what i thought of colt mccoy after seeing him play in the NFL, i would tell you he doesn't have the physical skillset to make it in this league as a starter, let alone a backup.

mik.....Yes, I think you make a point about McCoy being saddled with a poor situtation....from the coaching to the RBs to the WRs.

That said, he wasn't good enough to overcome that.

And, that said, I think he is where his talent level will take him. A second or 3rd string backup QB

mik.....Yes, I think you make a point about McCoy being saddled with a poor situtation....from the coaching to the RBs to the WRs.

That said, he wasn't good enough to overcome that.

And, that said, I think he is where his talent level will take him. A second or 3rd string backup QB

yes.

BTW, i hate reading charts, especially ones done that poorly. i did that shit for 10 years.

i still have nightmares of my first sergeant yellin at me "where's my chart spec. pratt!!"

yes.

BTW, i hate reading charts, especially ones done that poorly. i did that shit for 10 years.

i still have nightmares of my first sergeant yellin at me "where's my chart spec. pratt!!"

That one came out too small, so it was hard to read. Plus, it is like 3 years old. Maybe I can find something better.

Here is a bit of an older article I found that discusses the reasons certain QBs go bust. It talks about the drafting of Matt Stafford, but the analysis is probably still quite valid.

The only thing I disagree here with it the analysis of Tim Couch not having "intangibles". I think he had the intangibles. But he certainly didn't have the OLine, primarily, and he did come from a gimmick offense in college:

A question is: how would these factors apply to the likes of say, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, and other Browns QBs.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftquarterbackbusts.php

I should be the one to announce that the Niners did an about face and now say McCoy IS the backup. Maybe Harbaugh didn't like all the shit he was getting for trading for someone not as good as someone he could've signed as a UDFA.

"Intangibles" really do matter, but the two reasons QBs fail are below-the-bar arm strength (velocity) and an inability to mentally keep up with the complexity and speed of the game. Doesn't really mean you're "stupid," just that you have to process really fast and make your eyes/body keep up. It's not easy.

Weeden's still got plenty to prove. He has a serious A-list arm but the Colts put some heat on him (wow, did Joe Thomas have a rough day in every way or what?) and he did not handle it any better than last year.

I watched part of the game last night and McCoy looked pretty good. He drove them right down the field for a TD. He was 11-15 for a little over 100 yards. However I read today that he threw a pick. Didn't see it so who knows if it was his fault or not. But from what I saw I thought he definitely looked good enough to make the team, although they have Wallace, and Daniels there too who they took in the 7th round. My guess is Wallace will be the odd man out.

Archived