THE BROWNS BOARD

There isn't a franchise QB in the upcoming draft

Cbus Brownie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

I don't know. I think all three can be a top pro QB. What is it about them that makes you think they won't?

There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

The guy that's under the radar is Hundley (sp?) from UCLA. I had nothing better to do so I pretty much watched that whole UCLA v Nebraska game and man he looked good. His passes were crisp, he runs well, and has all the measurable. I'm not one to compare but his overall style reminded me a lot of Colin K. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up being the top pick.

Overpriced turds that we will spend multiple first round picks on and will bust within 3 years. Partially because we didn't draft anybody around them that makes for a good team. It's going to piss me off kids, take that to the bank.

Great quarterbacks are not great quarterbacks just because they're the best of the crop for a particular year.

No matter how many first round picks they cost.

WSS

WSS

Overpriced turds that we will spend multiple first round picks on and will bust within 3 years. Partially because we didn't draft anybody around them that makes for a good team. It's going to piss me off kids, take that to the bank.

Great quarterbacks are not great quarterbacks just because they're the best of the crop for a particular year.

WSS

WSS

Well said.

There are potentially up to 8 franchise QBs that have the opportunity to enter this coming draft. Obviously, they still have a long season to go and the combine/prodays, and 3 or 4 of those guys are underclassmen, but all-in-all should be a great QB class entering the draft. I hope we find the right one.

I think there are possible franchise QBs in this draft. There was absolutely nothing last year, and that probably explains why Banner and co didnt do anything to build this offense. They put it all on hold and decided to see what Weeden can do. But Bridgewater looks promising. He beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl with Louiseville. Boyd looks decent. Manziel would bring popularity back to the Browns but i dont feel like hes a mature person and could possibly burn out in the pros. But all three of these players have great potential... much better than Weeden or any of our other Qbs over the years.

WSS

WSS

steve you are one smart man.

If you don't have anything better to do on Saturdays, keep an eye on these guys:

Obviously - Teddy Twatwater, Louisville; Tajh Boyd, Clemson; Johnny Manziel, Tex A&M

Also - Derek Carr, Fresno State; A.J. McCarron, Alabama; Zach Mettenberger, LSU; Aaron Murray, Georiga; Bryn Renner, UNC

The underclassmen - Brett Hundley, UCLA; Marcus mariota, Oregon; Kevin Hogan, Stanford

Not that ALL of these guys are potential franchise QBs, but they are all talented and are creating their resumes this year to try and be the next NFL QB. They all have the potential, but it will be interesting to see which of these guys shine as the season progresses and we near the draft...

If you don't have anything better to do on Saturdays, keep an eye on these guys:

Obviously - Teddy Twatwater, Louisville; Tajh Boyd, Clemson; Johnny Manziel, Tex A&M

Also - Derek Carr, Fresno State; A.J. McCarron, Alabama; Zach Mettenberger, LSU; Aaron Murray, Georiga; Bryn Renner, UNC

The underclassmen - Brett Hundley, UCLA; Marcus mariota, Oregon; Kevin Hogan, Stanford

Not that ALL of these guys are potential franchise QBs, but they are all talented and are creating their resumes this year to try and be the next NFL QB. They all have the potential, but it will be interesting to see which of these guys shine as the season progresses and we near the draft...

Bridgewater is the only relistic chance and I don't like the odds. Anyone that thinks Manziel is going to be a franchise qb in the league is delusional

Bridgewater is the only relistic chance and I don't like the odds. Anyone that thinks Manziel is going to be a franchise qb in the league is delusional

He puts up great numbers against the best competetion in college football. I haven't watched enough of him to trully say either way, but how can you be so sure? He has had 2 great games in his career against Alabama whose D is chalk-full of NFL talent... I don't know, too soon for me to tell...

Point is that college talent is not guarantee of NFL talent dimwit.

Never said it did, but I'm pretty sure you can't draft guys based on what they are "going" to do in the NFL. So, you kinda have to go off what they did in college, right?... who's the dimwit?

think i'll make my pick when the college season is over. what a concept

I don't think anyone is making picks now. That's just a list of people to keep your eye on, as evidenced by the line "players to keep your eye on".

I swear, some people on the forum would bitch if we signed Peyton Manning and AP because they weren't born in Cleveland.

I don't think anyone is making picks now. That's just a list of people to keep your eye on, as evidenced by the line "players to keep your eye on".

Exactly. If you watch a lot of College Football, like I do, I was just throwing some names out to possibly breed some excitement for our big moment in next year's draft. Watching the Browns this year, you can only hope to see improvement from our key young players like Skrine, Mingo, Gipson, Benjamin, Cameron, and maybe Rainey if he gets to play... Can't expect to many "W"s this year. So, you might enjoy scouting who our next QB and WR are going to be...

He puts up great numbers against the best competetion in college football. I haven't watched enough of him to trully say either way, but how can you be so sure? He has had 2 great games in his career against Alabama whose D is chalk-full of NFL talent... I don't know, too soon for me to tell...

No, I replied because you insinuated that Alabama has a D that is "chalk-full" of NFL talent. Which is horseshit.

If you guys think QB is our biggest problem you are crazy! Payton Manning could not win behind this line and with this skillet handed slow recievers.

my man. hit it right on the nose. fix the OL give haden and ward help then focus on these flashy divas that everyone is lining up to give blow jobs to even before the 3rd week of the NFL let alone the 3rd week of a 10 game schedule in college football.

i could care less if your were born in timbukfukin2 just block the defensive threat to the QB open holes for a running back and be able to shut down the opposing teams offense.

sound familiar. super bowl winning giants. super bowl winning ravens (even with dilfer). giants did it once with hostettlar (go ahead yungins go google it) ravens with dilfer. it was all about opposing will on both lines, pass rush, shut down corners and a solid offensive attack led by the run and no cough-up turnovers.

i mean we were more than 3/4 of the way after free agency last year and we couldn't pick a corner or a fucking guard that can actually play?

our FO(s) plural since our return will go down in history as the most inept bunch of dumbasses in history.

my man. hit it right on the nose. fix the OL give haden and ward help then focus on these flashy divas that everyone is lining up to give blow jobs to even before the 3rd week of the NFL let alone the 3rd week of a 10 game schedule in college football.

i could care less if your were born in timbukfukin2 just block the defensive threat to the QB open holes for a running back and be able to shut down the opposing teams offense.

sound familiar. super bowl winning giants. super bowl winning ravens (even with dilfer). giants did it once with hostettlar (go ahead yungins go google it) ravens with dilfer. it was all about opposing will on both lines, pass rush, shut down corners and a solid offensive attack led by the run and no cough-up turnovers.

i mean we were more than 3/4 of the way after free agency last year and we couldn't pick a corner or a fucking guard that can actually play?

our FO(s) plural since our return will go down in history as the most inept bunch of dumbasses in history.

I disagree. Solid front 7, and good secondary are important. O-line is important, but our guys are adequate (when healthy). The most important is having guys who can get open by either running good routes, creating mismatches, or just having a knack for being in the right spot in the defense. The QB has to be on the same page as those guys who run option routes and have to be able to anticipate the WRs next move. We need a QB who can anticipate and throw WRs open, and we also need WRs who are smart and sure-handed. These 2 skills are now being taught in college more than ever before. We also may still need a Big Play threat, but I think Gordon can be that guy... if he keeps his nose clean. A CB and G would not have lead to 2-0 this year... we need weapons.

Remember Brady wins when he has weapons. Rodgers wins with great weapons around him. Flacco got lucky b/c he had good weapons around him. Peyton Manning has always had weapons. Big Ben always had weapons. Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Kosar... and on and on and on... without offensive weapons, you are in the tank. The reality of the NFL today. You also have to have a solid line and front 7, which we already have...

I disagree. Solid front 7, and good secondary are important. O-line is important, but our guys are adequate (when healthy). The most important is having guys who can get open by either running good routes, creating mismatches, or just having a knack for being in the right spot in the defense. The QB has to be on the same page as those guys who run option routes and have to be able to anticipate the WRs next move. We need a QB who can anticipate and throw WRs open, and we also need WRs who are smart and sure-handed. These 2 skills are now being taught in college more than ever before. We also may still need a Big Play threat, but I think Gordon can be that guy... if he keeps his nose clean. A CB and G would not have lead to 2-0 this year... we need weapons.

Remember Brady wins when he has weapons. Rodgers wins with great weapons around him. Flacco got lucky b/c he had good weapons around him. Peyton Manning has always had weapons. Big Ben always had weapons. Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Kosar... and on and on and on... without offensive weapons, you are in the tank. The reality of the NFL today. You also have to have a solid line and front 7, which we already have...

oh i agree weapons are necessary but having the smarts is the main reason those QBs are successful.

also now that denver has lost their start LT lets see how it plays out for manning the rest of the year. i know he gets the ball out fast, but i guarantee you he'll be taking some shots.

it's not that i don't know we need a franchise QB and a top notch WR, it's that we've had these 2 other GLARING fucking holes for god knows how long (well since haden became a shut down corner) that it seems like these dopes will never plug those holes. if we had another stand out corner and maybe another safety the defense would be complete. finute. you wouldn't have to worry about anything else on that side of the ball except maybe depth which you can fill in with FAs or even UDFAs.

just give me that lord and a right guard and you guys can have a field day drafting every offensive diva from here to mars.

think i'll make my pick when the college season is over. what a concept

Agreed. I always like to watch some of the guys who aren't yet garnering the media hype. I find Hundley & Hogan interesting.

We'll see.

Mike

Archived