THE BROWNS BOARD

There isn't a franchise QB in the upcoming draft

Cbus Brownie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I call "jitterbug" running QBs, ie Tarkenton (remember him?), Vick, RG3, etc scare me injury wise & aren't proven in taking a team to a high level & maintaining success. While that type QB seems to be what teams like now, I'm still a little leary (but I'm OLD too! LOL). I still like pocket passers, but they need more athleticism in todays' NFL. To me, the most important qualities in a QB are intelligence & accuracy...the other stuff is nice to have, but those 2 are mandatory.

I guess we'll see what the Browns hierarchy likes soon enough.

Mike

I disagree. Solid front 7, and good secondary are important. O-line is important, but our guys are adequate (when healthy). The most important is having guys who can get open by either running good routes, creating mismatches, or just having a knack for being in the right spot in the defense. The QB has to be on the same page as those guys who run option routes and have to be able to anticipate the WRs next move. We need a QB who can anticipate and throw WRs open, and we also need WRs who are smart and sure-handed. These 2 skills are now being taught in college more than ever before. We also may still need a Big Play threat, but I think Gordon can be that guy... if he keeps his nose clean. A CB and G would not have lead to 2-0 this year... we need weapons.

Remember Brady wins when he has weapons. Rodgers wins with great weapons around him. Flacco got lucky b/c he had good weapons around him. Peyton Manning has always had weapons. Big Ben always had weapons. Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Kosar... and on and on and on... without offensive weapons, you are in the tank. The reality of the NFL today. You also have to have a solid line and front 7, which we already have...

We already have a serviceable Oline? Have you been watching the games? I know you meant WITH lauvao and Pinkston, and that's what I'm referring to, not the abomination combination of Greco and Cousins. Oh ya and btw, Mitchell Schwartz is statistically the worst OLINEMAN in the NFL through 2 weeks. We're "solid"?

We already have a serviceable Oline? Have you been watching the games? I know you meant WITH lauvao and Pinkston, and that's what I'm referring to, not the abomination combination of Greco and Cousins. Oh ya and btw, Mitchell Schwartz is statistically the worst OLINEMAN in the NFL through 2 weeks. We're "solid"?

Even when the oline was all together last year they really weren't that special.

O-line is important, but our guys are adequate (when healthy).

You also have to have a solid line ... which we already have...

Adequate = Solid? Not in my book, but does not matter since I disagree.

Even if I agreed that our best five are "adequate" (which I do not), lines rarely make it through a season intact.

You really have to be seven deep with a spare interior OL and spare OT... And your starting RT has to be at least an adequate LT... and no way we have an adequate back up LT.

You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

oh i agree weapons are necessary but having the smarts is the main reason those QBs are successful.

also now that denver has lost their start LT lets see how it plays out for manning the rest of the year. i know he gets the ball out fast, but i guarantee you he'll be taking some shots.

it's not that i don't know we need a franchise QB and a top notch WR, it's that we've had these 2 other GLARING fucking holes for god knows how long (well since haden became a shut down corner) that it seems like these dopes will never plug those holes. if we had another stand out corner and maybe another safety the defense would be complete. finute. you wouldn't have to worry about anything else on that side of the ball except maybe depth which you can fill in with FAs or even UDFAs.

just give me that lord and a right guard and you guys can have a field day drafting every offensive diva from here to mars.

You don't take a RG with a first round pick unless he is truly something special. Like a once in a lifetime talent with 200 pancakes a season and 0 sacks type player.

The talent differential between a 1st round OG and a mid round OG is a lot different than that of, say, WR or CB or QB. It's much more common to see mid round prospects at OG have solid careers than it is for mid round QBs and CBs.

I do agree, we need a OG. A real OG. But I think we can find a good one in rounds 2-4, if our scouts are worth their salt.

Adequate = Solid? Not in my book, but does not matter since I disagree.

Even if I agreed that our best five are "adequate" (which I do not), lines rarely make it through a season intact.

You really have to be seven deep with a spare interior OL and spare OT... And your starting RT has to be at least an adequate LT... and no way we have an adequate back up LT.

You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

The problem is:

We have two first rounders, a second rounder and two third rounders already starting for us if we ever get Greco and Lauvao together and ditch Cousins.

What say you to that?

I also believe we have shoddy line play as well, but I don't think it's because the talent isn't there. The offensive line is a cohesive unit, more than any other positional groupings on the field. They have to play together and learn how the person next to him thinks and what he sees.

Thomas has to know whether his guard is scraping to get to the second level or when the blitzing ROLB is his priority. Mack needs to know his teammates abilities in order to call out assignments. For instance, it may be easier for Lauvao to peel when he's uncovered than it is for Greco or Pinkston. So when there's no 3 technique and an edge blitz is detected, Mack's call might be a slide with Pinkston in but a peel and fill when Lauvao is in.

All of these things have to be determined in a split second and relayed to the other four OL. People like to just pile on the hog mollies and say that it's the easiest job in football but nobody realizes whst really goes into it. I'd take an OL on my trivia team before any other position on the field.

You don't take a RG with a first round pick unless he is truly something special. Like a once in a lifetime talent with 200 pancakes a season and 0 sacks type player.

The talent differential between a 1st round OG and a mid round OG is a lot different than that of, say, WR or CB or QB. It's much more common to see mid round prospects at OG have solid careers than it is for mid round QBs and CBs.

I do agree, we need a OG. A real OG. But I think we can find a good one in rounds 2-4, if our scouts are worth their salt.

never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

Bridgewater, Johnny Football, Boyd, Mariota, Hundley Murray, McCarron.

These are all capable QBs potentially to get us to the promised land. Yeah T rich sucks, but the WR draft class is pretty weak next year so what are we going to do with that pick? CB?

No need to tank AT ALL this year. We could have played out the season get 3-4 more wins and STILL get a GREAT QB--even if 2-3 of them don't declare, we'd still end up with a good one.

i thought you were the leader of the thread "great trade by the browns TR is a bum."

so what are you exactly saying now? would you consider drafting CBs Ss and OLmen before QBs and RBs and WRs?

you got the same weed guy as me?

chronic will swallow your brain sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

So did Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, and Jamarcus Russell. You think Manziel has the arm for a pro style offense? No.

And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... :D

I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... :D

Don't make idiotic comments like this, "Luck had college talent. So did Peterson, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Drew Brees... So, what's your point?", and I won't have to answer the most simple of questions for you. Manziel is not a long term NFL talent.

Two posters "talking" past each other in a forum? Never happens... ;)

I disagree on Lauvao, but will agree that Pinky back in is an adequate starter. Lauvao is fine as insurance, but if Gilkey develops (and I think he will), then Lauvao is expendable.

I don't see much upside on Schwartz. Size and technique are good, but he just lacks "quick"... and you can't develop quick...

And I did not say (or at least mean to say) that we need to draft a backup LT. What any team needs is a starting RT that can step in if the starting LT goes done. Schwartz is clearly not that guy.

I assume you are referring to Faulk as the OT on IR. Injuries aside (and that's putting a big issue aside), your 2nd best OT plays RT. I don't remember seeing anything that said Faulk was our 2nd best OT, but the staff just might have.

Right now our 2nd best OT may well be Wallace. He looked good against 2nd team D in the preseason.

never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

Agree on unit cohesiveness, TCLP... prolly more important for O-line than any other unit.

But disagree that Greco and Lauvao are of the quality we need at OG. Lauvao is fine for the run, but not pass protection. Greco is more balanced, but excels at neither. Either make decent back-ups.

Pinky was our best at the position and I expect him to be again. So we are still shy one starter.

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Watched Boyd last nite for the second time this year. Have yet to be impressed by him...

First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

I'm still waiting to see "the one" this college season. Hundley is the UCLA QB.... I haven't seen him yet. So maybe he's the one.

Have seen Boyd twice this year, and was not impressed either time. And I'm very confused by his run stats in a read option offense.

Have seen Bridgewater once.. and was not impressed. Plus he looks too fragile for the NFL.... the dude is a friggin' stick figure.

And I just think Mazel is poison...

Of all I have seen, I like McCarron. He has that game manager look that you want opposite a dominant defense over any swashbuckler. And if AJ was our man then we could do the trade down thing.

Manziel is completely out ofthe question. Hundley is actually in play, I watched him vs Nebraska last week. Aside from Hundley, Bridgewater is the only other QB I've seen that's a possibility - and I'm not real high on either of them.

Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA.

Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

^^I agree.^^

Im not high on any of the qb's this year none are 1st rd. top 5 talent IMO.

I would keep an eye on marcus mariota though from Oregon. As of now I would be giving him a hard look in the 3rd, but don't see chip kelly letting him slide past the second... especially the way vick played last nite.

The kid has speed, great arm, athleticism, and seems to make some good decisions. If he can run that style of offense at Oregon he should be able to make the transition to the pro game. One down side is he is young.

And that's all hinging on whether he declares for the draft or not.

Given the weak qb class he just might.

I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA. Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

Not a Cam Newton fan... He proved me wrong his rookie year, but not his sophmore. We're in the tie breaker season.

I just hope our FO realizes we don't HAVE to use our top pick on a QB. We can use our 2nd 1st rounder, or even a 2nd or 3rd on a guy like McCarron or Carr.

Don't know Carr, but a game managing QB like McCarron is just what is called for opposite a staunch D. And think of the picks we;d amass trading down... :ph34r:

My personal darkhorse was MSU's Tyler Russell, but he's been dinged (concussion) and we definitely won't be shopping in the latter rounds for a project QB.

Not a Cam Newton fan... He proved me wrong his rookie year, but not his sophmore. We're in the tie breaker season.

Don't know Carr, but a game managing QB like McCarron is just what is called for opposite a staunch D. And think of the picks we;d amass trading down... :ph34r:

My personal darkhorse was MSU's Tyler Russell, but he's been dinged (concussion) and we definitely won't be shopping in the latter rounds for a project QB.

No, not really a Cam fan.

Just looking at possible options the FO may be looking at to kickstart winning with a veteran/experienced QB - specifically the Chud/Newton connection.

It's shaping up to be one of the better QB drafts of recent past. Tons better than last year and it turns out two starters came out of 2013. And they both already look the part.

There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

Archived