THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hoyer

beefjerky

well i, unlike some on the board have no attachment to any player on this team except for thomas, mack, haden, ward, DQ, sheard, cameron and gordon.

IMO everyone else is expendable.

weeden can be the next to go that slow thinkin ginger.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A rocket arm is more of a detriment when you can't control you're velocity like Weeden or Anderson. Firing bullets at dudes 10 yards away tends to create deflections, especially when the passes aren't accurate.

I didn't see any problems with Hoyers arm last game but wasn't looking that closely. His pass to Gordon deep was a tiny bit underthrown, but he threw a fade route like I haven't seen from a Browns QB in I don't know how long.

I just re-watched some of the highlights- and Hoyer is better than my first impression.

I have to give you a BIG ^+1 on that observation- if you don't have a change up to go along with the fastball, you're worthless in the NFL DA is Exhibit 1A in that regard- and Weeden is probably 1B.

OTOH, besides the two ints (one of which was a blind shot if you watched the field level replay) tossing up Foley floaters isn't the recipe for long term success either. :)

i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

I fear the Bungles are on the Lucky Train to the SB. Need a fumble recovery for the winning TD? Done. They do have talent, but as I've always said- "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Hoyer had good and bad.

I saw a few throws that were behind the Receivers, but considering he hasn't really played or practiced since Pre-Season (and then with third stringers), I think he did okay.

Should be interesting to see how he improves with extra practice and play if he's given the chance - no telling what our FO and Coaches will do, or if Gordon/Little are even going to be here next week.

A few of those along the sideline were thrown there for a reason. It was inside zone coverage and the QB is supposed to put it on the outside shoulder. The receiver has to see the coverage and know where the QB is going to put the ball, so some of those "behind" the receiver that most of us see will be graded as a perfect pass by Turner and Chud when they start grading the players when watching the film.

I fear the Bungles are on the Lucky Train to the SB. Need a fumble recovery for the winning TD? Done. They do have talent, but as I've always said- "I'd rather be lucky than good."

I believe that lucky train will be derailed for at least a week when we kick their ass next week. Everybody is going to be on a high. We roll them.

Hoyer showed more poise and brains than Weeden, and I think he did enough to deserve the start vs. the Bengals. It's hard to say how Weeden would've done, we saw some good play out of him in the preseason, so he might've played just as well as Hoyer vs. Minnesota. I was pretty disturbed by the three interceptions, as they looked like he was passing to the Vikings defenders for at least two of them. Still, a win is a win, and that's enough to see how far the Browns can go with Hoyer.

Please, though, I hope the Browns do NOT trade Gordon. That would be a huge mistake. Just hire a personal assistant for him who keeps him away from the drugs.

I feel much more confident in Hoyer then Weeden. He made some bad plays in the second half, but that he came back in the final minutes and won the game showed he has fire in the belly. He has earned the spot, and his 15 minutes of fame is hereby extended.

He did have the 3 picks but a win is a win I will take it. 2 of those were pretty bad. From what I saw is WR (except Little) were catching passes. I thought through the game maybe Weeden has too much zip, but then again so did Farve. Then again I was drunk.

The biggest difference between Weeden and Hoyer is how quick they release the ball. I'm in no way remotely comparing Hoyer to Tom Brady, but it's plain to see where he learned from the guy. Get the ball, make a read, and throw it (for better or worse). In this regard Hoyer looked A LOT better than Weeden. I'm pretty sure Weeden would have taken 2-3 more sacks than Hoyer yesterday.

Two of the three INT's were really, really bad. But the three TD passes were also really, really good. Sure Gordon was wide open but so was Obi last week and Weeden just missed him. I'm not saying Hoyer is the answer but it would be stupid not to give him another shot against a better team.

Hoyer showed more poise and brains than Weeden, and I think he did enough to deserve the start vs. the Bengals. It's hard to say how Weeden would've done, we saw some good play out of him in the preseason, so he might've played just as well as Hoyer vs. Minnesota. I was pretty disturbed by the three interceptions, as they looked like he was passing to the Vikings defenders for at least two of them. Still, a win is a win, and that's enough to see how far the Browns can go with Hoyer.

Please, though, I hope the Browns do NOT trade Gordon. That would be a huge mistake. Just hire a personal assistant for him who keeps him away from the drugs.

Int #2 WAS really bad- he had no clear vision where he was throwing to. Int #1, chalk it up to a misread, or a good guess by the defender. #3 in the end zone- he got his arm hit on the play- happens to the best of them.

The biggest difference between Weeden and Hoyer is how quick they release the ball. I'm in no way remotely comparing Hoyer to Tom Brady, but it's plain to see where he learned from the guy. Get the ball, make a read, and throw it (for better or worse). In this regard Hoyer looked A LOT better than Weeden. I'm pretty sure Weeden would have taken 2-3 more sacks than Hoyer yesterday.

Two of the three INT's were really, really bad. But the three TD passes were also really, really good. Sure Gordon was wide open but so was Obi last week and Weeden just missed him. I'm not saying Hoyer is the answer but it would be stupid not to give him another shot against a better team.

^+1, Hoyer is much more decisive and gets the ball out quicker than Weedster. Properly read a couple of blitzes, and got the ball exactly where it should have been a couple of times. Weedster is flat on his ass on those plays.

The local kid has more than earned his shot to start this Sunday against the Bengals- and if Chud is being honest, (Weeden must re-earn his starting spot) I'd count on it. May as well play the rest of the season like we have nothing to lose- because we really don't :)

A few of those along the sideline were thrown there for a reason. It was inside zone coverage and the QB is supposed to put it on the outside shoulder. The receiver has to see the coverage and know where the QB is going to put the ball, so some of those "behind" the receiver that most of us see will be graded as a perfect pass by Turner and Chud when they start grading the players when watching the film.

That's probably the case, though I think I saw it once or twice in the middle of the field - could have been defensive placement though (away from DB).

He had a good game with what little practice he got, I did mention that but forgot to highlight that he found out Tuesday night so he only really got two, maybe three days of actual practice.

Toss on top of that the T-Rich trade and then the Gordon/Little Trade Block news just before the game . . . hell, it's wonder the Team functioned at all, let alone pulled out a win.

Priceless picture...

Phil Sims apparently has loved Hoyer all his life...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_brian_hoyer_h.html

Gotta admit that it is nice to see us getting some good press in the national media. Wouldn't it be great if we have our QB of the future? It would be even better to use some of those draft picks to protect him better now.

Priceless picture...

Phil Sims apparently has loved Hoyer all his life...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_brian_hoyer_h.html

"We'll coach him a little harder,'' he said. "He’ll see it and that’s where you expect guys to grow and get better"

Ya .. big mystery who is starting this week.

Zombo

'Poised' Hoyer earned trust of team

Posted 14 hours ago

matt_60px.jpgMatt FlorjancicStaff WriterFacebook

Quarterback Brian Hoyer earned the confidence and trust of his team before engineering a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Hoyericon-article-link.gif had thrown two interceptions and been sacked three times in the second half against the Minnesota Vikings Sunday, but as he stepped onto the field down by three points with 3:21 to play, the veteran signal-caller had the support of his teammates and coaches.

Hoyer responded to and rewarded their confidence by engineering an 11-play, 55-yard driv130923-brian-hoyer-nai.jpge that he capped off with a seven-yard touchdown to tight endJordan Cameronicon-article-link.gif in the left back corner of the end zone, which sealed the 31-27 come-from-behind win.

“That was the belief that I had in him and the hunch on him,” coach Rob Chudzinski said. “We saw it in the preseason. Again, I’ve mentioned it before and I know it was the fourth preseason game, but he was able to do something very similar in that game.

“Looking at the guys’ eyes on the sideline, all of them, the whole offense and the group, they believed. When I saw them, when I looked at them, talked to them and talked about how much we would enjoy this after this series was over, and we scored the touchdown, the looks I got back from those guys, I knew we had a great shot at doing that.”

Chudzinski was particularly impressed by Hoyer’s ability to forget his struggles in the second half, and lead the game-winning drive in front 63,672 Vikings fans in Mall of America Field at the H.H.H. Metrodome.

“You have to be able to do that at that position in this league,” Chudzinski said. “No matter what kind of game you’re having, so many of these games come down to the end, and you have to be able to do that and perform in the end and have a short memory of what has happened.

“Guys being accurate is one thing, and then, putting the ball in a place where receivers can catch it and do things after the catch is another. I think all of the guys have grown and gotten better in that area. When you get to the elite level, that’s the thing they’re able to do better than the guys that are just real good guys.”

When the dust had settled on the Browns’ victory, Hoyer had completed 30 of 54 attempts for 321 yards and three touchdowns against three interceptions. He spread the ball out to six different receivers, including a game-high 10 passes to wide receiver Josh Gordonicon-article-link.gif for 146 yards and a 47-yard touchdown in the first quarter.

“I thought it was a gutsy performance,” Chudzinski said. “He had some turnovers in the second half, a couple throws I know he would like to have back, but that didn’t faze him. When we needed to rise up to the occasion on the last drive, he was able to do that and make the plays that, ultimately, helped us win the game.”

Cameron added, “He was very poised. That’s a great word to describe how he played. He had a rough third quarter, but led our team to a touchdown. It just shows a lot about him. With the opportunities he had, he took advantage of them.”

DETERMINED PLAYERS

Chudzinski said determination shown by the players was what made possible the Browns’ fourth-quarter comeback.

“This is a group, as I mentioned before, they respond to any sort of challenge, the things we’re coaching them to do,” Chudzinski said. “They really, really take to heart and work on those things. To have some success, it was no surprise for that group, and for us that we have success. It reinforces the things that we‘re coaching and teaching and expect to continue. Again, it’s one week, one game and we’re on to the next game after today.”

INJURY UPDATES

Due to injuries, the Browns lost three players during the game, kickerBilly Cundifficon-article-link.gif, defensive lineman Billy Winnicon-article-link.gif and outside linebackerJabaal Sheardicon-article-link.gif.

Cundiff suffered a quadriceps strain, while Winn also experienced an injury to his quad. Sheard has a sprained knee.

All three players will be evaluated over the next two days to see how their injuries respond to treatment, according to Chudzinski.

I am ready to "over-hype" him some more.

If you aren't rooting for this kid, then I really don't even know why you follow sports, let alone the Browns.

For Browns QB Brian Hoyer, Sunday marks a homecoming almost 28 years in the works
Sep 26, 2013 -- 6:00am
By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

The Morning Kickoff …

The next generation: It wasn’t Brian Hoyer’s birthright to some day play quarterback for the Browns. Every kid in Greater Cleveland of his generation who loved football dreamt of doing that.

He just happened to be born the same day Bernie Kosar made his first NFL start for the Browns on Oct. 13, 1985.

“My dad always told me that,” Hoyer said to me on Wednesday. “He said he was waiting for me to be born while watching that game.”

For the record, Kosar endured a difficult day in his first start as a 21-year-old rookie. But he beat a couple of Jerry Glanville’s all-out blitzes in the second half and returned from the Astrodome in Houston with a 21-6 victory over the Oilers.

Hoyer had no less difficult time than Kosar in his first outing for the Browns Sunday in Minnesota. A generation apart, the most obvious parallel was that both quarterbacks persevered and produced a victory that instilled confidence in them from teammates hungry for someone to lead them.

When Hoyer scanned the dozens of texts and messages of congratulations on his smart phone after the 31-27 win over the Vikings, the one from Kosar stood out.

“You look down on your phone and there’s ‘Hey, it’s Bernie Kosar,’” Hoyer said. “For me, when I used to wear his jersey in the backyard to now getting a message from him, that’s pretty cool.

“I do remember seeing him play. We had season tickets, so we were going all the time. Every game me and my dad would go. Our seats were behind one of the posts. I just remember trying to look around the post and seeing if Eric Metcalf made it up the middle.”

Hoyer was only 8 when Kosar was banished in the middle of the 1993 season by Bill Belichick. He was, of course, the same coach who eventually signed Hoyer for the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent from Michigan State in 2009. That’s a story for another day.

The homecoming: Hoyer grew up in suburban North Olmsted and played high school football for inner city powerhouse St. Ignatius, of course. Unlike Kosar, who was born and bred a Browns fan in Boardman, 80 miles southeast, near Youngstown, Hoyer is a true-blue Clevelander.

He will make his first start in his home stadium Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Brandon Weeden has been ruled out for the second week in a row with a sprained thumb.

“Sure, it means a lot,” Hoyer said about the occasion. “I think this is the part, when you guys ask me does it mean more, obviously playing at home, it’s going to be special. But once they kick that ball off, that’s what you have to worry about. Maybe you think about it after the game. It’ll be awesome. Our fans will be great.”

The more you’re around Hoyer, the more you can feel the influence on him by Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback for whom he understudied three years with New England.

Asked about his debut Sunday in Minnesota, in which he shook off three interceptions and led the Browns to their first win with a touchdown pass to Jordan Cameron in the last minute of the game, Hoyer said, “It was OK. I’m really disappointed in myself with those decisions I made because those are kind of easy things. Usually that’s not in my game to make bad decisions like that. But you watch it and you move on.”

Hoyer cobbled together a winning effort despite practicing with the first team for the first time on Wednesday since he joined the team in May. He worked with the third-teamers throughout training camp and preseason and practiced with the scout team the first two weeks of the regular season.

“I think just came out and played relaxed,” Hoyer said. “A lot of people probably thought I’d be nervous or anxious. For me, I always feel the best when I get to the stadium and get into a routine, get going. That probably helped me loosen up a bit, we had a few drives get going early, some big plays. You just have to be yourself. I’m not really concerned with what I did best. I’m concerned with what I did poorly. You try to learn from that and move on.”

When asked about Brady’s influence on Hoyer, receiver Josh Gordon said, “Sitting behind a guy like Tom Brady, you’re definitely going to pick up some things, especially after three years. You’re going to pick up his habits of the game, his leadership capabilities. You’re going to take that with you.”

One hungry quarterback: One of the interesting differences in the Browns’ passing game with Hoyer at the helm was the utter resolve to get the ball in the hands of Gordon. Hoyer targeted the smooth receiver 19 times – far more than any game with Weeden at quarterback last year.

“I’m very confident in him,” Gordon said. “He’s a real fired-up mentality kind of guy. He never seems to get rattled, after the interceptions, sacks, just bad plays. He comes out there the next drive and acts like it never happened and that’s just exactly what we need.”

Gordon observed a difference between Hoyer and Weeden.

“Hoyer definitely seems more like a scrappier player out there,” he said. “I don’t know, he just wants to prove himself. He just doesn’t really care what people think about him, anything like that, whatever his situation was about being a backup and how he got into this position now, he just wants to take full advantage of it.”

The new Browns’ regime has talked about fielding “hungry” players. There might not be a hungrier one on the team right now. Hoyer has been yearning for this job, well, since he was born.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=22751

What were your impressions? Josh Gordon obviously boosted him a lot, but he threw into a lot of tight windows that I think Weeden otherwise would have missed, he also had some decent evasions that I feel Weeden would have otherwise gotten trunched on.

made a few awful mistakes but he comes off to me as the type that will study the film and learn from his mistakes to get better. He seems physically ready just not mentally ready yet.

321 yards (albeit with 54 attempts) 3 td 3 int in his first start with the Browns. I say we give him the rest of the season and see what we have with him.

That works for me. They were talking last week about the team needing a "spark". Brian did a hell of a job, and as the game went on he gave us more and more hope to win it. I know that Weeden will be back soon but if Hoyer keeps winning Weeden will be the one with the clip board. Gordon is a beast, expecting more great things for him...

Hoyer makes the offense exciting to watch. Don't underestimate him - the fire didn't seem to

happen with Weeden.

Hoyer loves the game, and he sees the field. That is a huge improvement over Weeds with

the big NFL arm.

Yeah, I see Hoyer as having similar fire and ability to see the field as Sipe and Kosar.

This next game will be a bigger test...

but I found it interesting that 57 % of the SBNation experts picked the Minnesota defense

in fantasy football, over the Steeler defense next week. And Ponder got banged up by the Browns,

and Cassel may start. And AP gets his solid fullback back.

I love it when the players LOVE the game. And Hoyer seems to be the only qb that fits with that with the Browns.

Hoyer is such a fantastic Cleveland sports story waiting to happen, right on the heels of the Indians amazing run. He even LOOKS like Cleveland, like several kinds of Eastern European all mixed up together.

But I see it, what all those "insiders" see (and now Kosar, too). It's not all intangibles. He processes fast, sees the field, understands what's happening. He has a quick, compact release and a clock in his head (unlike pretty much the last 17 Browns QBs since Kosar). He has above average mobility and can get out of trouble pretty damn well. He can zip it and he can go over the top. Short of a cannon, I'd say he has a good arm. Belicheck used to say he has a really good arm. I think it's getting underrated because of Weeden's cannon.

A lot of people who spend a lot of time around football watch Hoyer and say, "He's got it." It's just a rare combination of tangibles and intangibles that add up to "it." Let's hope they're right, because it would be a blast.

Hoyer is such a fantastic Cleveland sports story waiting to happen, right on the heels of the Indians amazing run. He even LOOKS like Cleveland, like several kinds of Eastern European all mixed up together.

But I see it, what all those "insiders" see (and now Kosar, too). It's not all intangibles. He processes fast, sees the field, understands what's happening. He has a quick, compact release and a clock in his head (unlike pretty much the last 17 Browns QBs since Kosar). He has above average mobility and can get out of trouble pretty damn well. He can zip it and he can go over the top. Short of a cannon, I'd say he has a good arm. Belicheck used to say he has a really good arm. I think it's getting underrated because of Weeden's cannon.

A lot of people who spend a lot of time around football watch Hoyer and say, "He's got it." It's just a rare combination of tangibles and intangibles that add up to "it." Let's hope they're right, because it would be a blast.

I think you're glorifying him a bit. He has a quick, compact release but I would hardly qualify him as above average in the mobility department nor would I say he has a really good arm. He's certainly passing the eyeball test as far as his ability to make quick decisions and scan the field and he doesn't seem to predesignate his receiver before the snap. His biggest attribute, in my opinion, is his ability to throw receivers open, something Weeden has not exhibited once in his stint in Cleveland.

Archived