THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hoyer

beefjerky

What were your impressions? Josh Gordon obviously boosted him a lot, but he threw into a lot of tight windows that I think Weeden otherwise would have missed, he also had some decent evasions that I feel Weeden would have otherwise gotten trunched on.

made a few awful mistakes but he comes off to me as the type that will study the film and learn from his mistakes to get better. He seems physically ready just not mentally ready yet.

321 yards (albeit with 54 attempts) 3 td 3 int in his first start with the Browns. I say we give him the rest of the season and see what we have with him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good touch and timing on the corner tosses to Cameron

did anyone catch what Hoyer said (in another thread - Patriots training camp video)

where he tossed the ball into a garbage can in the corner of the endzone and Brady couldnt?

3 picks - but redeemed himself on the final drive... Nice to see this win..

QB controversy?

I think they would like to see him all year, it would be nice not to have to draft another Qb, but the way the O line is playing, and lack of a running game, don't know if he will hold up with out getting hurt.

Two of those picks looked bad, but it was nice to see someone that had touch on his passes.

Keep it rolling Hoyer!

Quicker decision making than Weeden. A little more movement (would like to see the pocket move more). More decisive. Main thing, he won the game.

I liked what I saw. He also set his receivers up better for yards after the catch. He's great on those fades to the corner of the end zone & he & Cameron seem to have a nice chemistry.

Mike

I'm not ready to "annoint" Hoyer, & Gordon's return was huge, but the on field performance sure was better today. Hoyer gets at least a portion of praise for that.

Mike

good touch and timing on the corner tosses to Cameron

did anyone catch what Hoyer said (in another thread - Patriots training camp video)

where he tossed the ball into a garbage can in the corner of the endzone and Brady couldnt?

3 picks - but redeemed himself on the final drive... Nice to see this win..

QB controversy?

Also this:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_brian_hoyer_g.html

In practice one day, all three quarterbacks -- including Jason Campbell, lined up about 20 yards away from a net with small pockets in it and fired away. Hoyer zipped all six of his passes into the tight pockets, while the other two missed about half their chances.

Hoyer had good and bad.

I saw a few throws that were behind the Receivers, but considering he hasn't really played or practiced since Pre-Season (and then with third stringers), I think he did okay.

Should be interesting to see how he improves with extra practice and play if he's given the chance - no telling what our FO and Coaches will do, or if Gordon/Little are even going to be here next week.

I saw some good and some bad. I noticed as soon as the game started that he stared down his receiver from the snap until the throw and knew he would end up throwing more than one pick. Can't believe he threw 3 TDs though, and led that final drive. The offense was definitely more exciting with Gordon in the lineup...

It was a tale of two halves, as the first half Hoyer looked great, except the one bad pick. The Vikings adjusted in the 2nd half, & basically caved in our line up the middle, and hardly any QB can handle that type of pressure.

He was calm down the stretch & put the game winner right-on-the-money to Cameron. That's all I care about right now. He certainly looked poised.

I'm glad for the guy. If that game went into OT, I think we all would have been worried...too many mental scars for all of us. Let's be happy and enjoy the win.

Do you people have ANY IDEA how much better Brandon Weeden would have looked/performed in the first two games if HE had Josh Gordon out there? Josh Gordon is a freak of nature athlete, a top 5 NFL receiver RIGHT NOW. He is ELITE. He makes those around him BETTER. Josh Gordon changes the ENTIRE complexion of any game he is in. Let me put it ANOTHER way, how do you think Hoyer would have looked if he DIDN'T have Josh Gordon today? Today he had a passer rating around 68. There's is no way ANYONE can dress up a rating THAT LOW. It's BAD. However, when a defense is playing as well as ours did today against someone like AP 68 can maybe allow you to hang around and pull one out, which is what happened. His passer rating today would have been under 60 - perhaps maybe even under 50 - with no Josh Gordon. With no Josh Gordon he'd have been FORCED to throw to Greg Little and Benjamin. Without Josh Gordon, where does what rhythm he WAS able to establish come from? Hoyer completed 55.6% of his passes. That is NOT GOOD. It *CAN BE* GOOD ENOUGH for a third string backup who is pressed into duty to pull one out with a lot of help from defense and special teams and LOTS of turnovers by the other team - again which is what happened today. Seriously, had not Josh Gordon been suspended, there's a very good chance that we'd be AT LEAST 2-1, maybe 3-0 - that means BRANDON WEEDEN would be 2-1 if not 3-0. Before ANYONE starts leaping to ANY conclusions about Weeden NOT STARTING once healthy, I think it needs to be evaluated what Weeden is able to do AS A STARTER with JOSH GORDON on the field. Let me also add that the pass protection today was better than it was in games one and two for Brandon Weeden, and I didn't see anyone dropping passes that should have easily been caught. Perhaps this is from the fire the coaches/FO lit under the asses of the entire roster by getting rid of TR and hinting there's more to come. In any event, that worked in the favor of Hoyer - Weeden has yet to have the equal opportunity to benefit from said improvements, should they prove to last beyond just this one game. If Greg Little hadn't had his head up his ass again last week against the Ravens, Brandon Weeden has got a passer rating in that game somewhere around 90. On the road. Against the Ravens defense.

Do you people have ANY IDEA how much better Brandon Weeden would have looked/performed in the first two games if HE had Josh Gordon out there? Josh Gordon is a freak of nature athlete, a top 5 NFL receiver RIGHT NOW. He is ELITE. He makes those around him BETTER. Josh Gordon changes the ENTIRE complexion of any game he is in. Let me put it ANOTHER way, how do you think Hoyer would have looked if he DIDN'T have Josh Gordon today? Today he had a passer rating around 68. There's is no way ANYONE can dress up a rating THAT LOW. It's BAD. However, when a defense is playing as well as ours did today against someone like AP 68 can maybe allow you to hang around and pull one out, which is what happened. His passer today would have been under 60 - perhaps maybe even under 50 - with no Josh Gordon. With no Josh Gordon he'd have been FORCED to throw to Greg Little and Benjamin. Without Josh Gordon, where does what rhythm he WAS able to establish come from? Hoyer completed 55.6% of his passes. That is NOT GOOD. It *CAN BE* GOOD ENOUGH for a third string backup who is pressed into duty to pull one out with a lot of help from defense and special teams and LOTS of turnovers by the other team - again which is what happened today. Seriously, had not Josh Gordon been suspended, there's a very good chance that we'd be AT LEAST 2-1, maybe 3-0 - that means BRANDON WEEDEN would be 2-1 if not 3-0. Before ANYONE starts leaping to ANY conclusions about Weeden NOT STARTING once healthy, I think it needs to be evaluated what Weeden is able to do AS A STARTER with JOSH GORDON on the field. Let me also add that the pass protection today was better than it was in games one and two for Brandon Weeden, and I didn't see anyone dropping passes that should have easily been caught. Perhaps this is from the fire the coaches/FO lit under the asses of the entire roster by getting rid of TR and hinting there's more to come. In any event, that worked in the favor of Hoyer - Weeden has yet to have the equal opportunity to benefit from said improvements, should they prove to last beyond just this one game. If Greg Little hadn't had his head up his ass again last week against the Ravens, Brandon Weeden has got a passer rating in that game somewhere around 90. On the road. Against the Ravens defense.

No one ever wants to see Weeden again. He sucks. He has no touch. He doesn't put the ball in the right spot. It is what it is.

Do you people have ANY IDEA how much better Brandon Weeden would have looked/performed in the first two games if HE had Josh Gordon out there? Josh Gordon is a freak of nature athlete, a top 5 NFL receiver RIGHT NOW. He is ELITE. He makes those around him BETTER. Josh Gordon changes the ENTIRE complexion of any game he is in. Let me put it ANOTHER way, how do you think Hoyer would have looked if he DIDN'T have Josh Gordon today? Today he had a passer rating around 68. There's is no way ANYONE can dress up a rating THAT LOW. It's BAD. However, when a defense is playing as well as ours did today against someone like AP 68 can maybe allow you to hang around and pull one out, which is what happened. His passer rating today would have been under 60 - perhaps maybe even under 50 - with no Josh Gordon. With no Josh Gordon he'd have been FORCED to throw to Greg Little and Benjamin. Without Josh Gordon, where does what rhythm he WAS able to establish come from? Hoyer completed 55.6% of his passes. That is NOT GOOD. It *CAN BE* GOOD ENOUGH for a third string backup who is pressed into duty to pull one out with a lot of help from defense and special teams and LOTS of turnovers by the other team - again which is what happened today. Seriously, had not Josh Gordon been suspended, there's a very good chance that we'd be AT LEAST 2-1, maybe 3-0 - that means BRANDON WEEDEN would be 2-1 if not 3-0. Before ANYONE starts leaping to ANY conclusions about Weeden NOT STARTING once healthy, I think it needs to be evaluated what Weeden is able to do AS A STARTER with JOSH GORDON on the field. Let me also add that the pass protection today was better than it was in games one and two for Brandon Weeden, and I didn't see anyone dropping passes that should have easily been caught. Perhaps this is from the fire the coaches/FO lit under the asses of the entire roster by getting rid of TR and hinting there's more to come. In any event, that worked in the favor of Hoyer - Weeden has yet to have the equal opportunity to benefit from said improvements, should they prove to last beyond just this one game. If Greg Little hadn't had his head up his ass again last week against the Ravens, Brandon Weeden has got a passer rating in that game somewhere around 90. On the road. Against the Ravens defense.

ifs, and or buts, weeden sucks. Who's to say weeden could have accurately thrown to Gordon? Hoyer got it done weeds did not.

Relax pal.

Weeden will sit for the rest of the year. Because Chud is no idiot.

Archived