THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Do Some People Hype Up Hoyer?

Soju

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won a game after everyone thought we ended the season and looked pretty good minus the fact that he threw 3 interceptions. He made accurate throws in the short and intermediate game that Weeden couldn't dream of. He has hardly worked with the 1st team so he should improve with the dumb throws ideally, if he doesn't we will find someone better.

He won a game after everyone thought we ended the season and looked pretty good minus the fact that he threw 3 interceptions. He made accurate throws in the short and intermediate game that Weeden couldn't dream of. He has hardly worked with the 1st team so he should improve with the dumb throws ideally, if he doesn't we will find someone better.

Plus the overall game management. No delay of game penalties and every body seemed to be on the same page. Much better clock management as well

The story is just fantastic. I'm pulling for this kid, I really am. It would be a true Hollywood story if he succeeds and becomes our franchise QB that we didn't know we had.

But, more realistically, he'll lead us to 10 victories and a playoff berth and then we keep him instead of drafting Bridgewater. Then he'll fizzle out and never have more than 5 wins again in a season while Bridgewater goes on to become the love child made in an orgy featuring Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and Joe Namath.

And we'll be sitting there, saying "Yeah, but did you SEE Hoyer's stats in 2013? Amazing!"

That's Cleveland luck, baby.

sometimes the best grooming for any QB starts with watching and waiting... (Aaron Rogers)

Steve Young started off in the USFL (remember?) then in Tampa Bay and did not have a great start to his career ...

til he got to SF and I think he even waited abit behind Montana...

this trial with Hoyer could be huge or be a bust, but is no different if it were any other high expectation QB coming from the draft.

but in the meantime, it is making Sundays more fun to watch and anticipate?

The story is just fantastic. I'm pulling for this kid, I really am. It would be a true Hollywood story if he succeeds and becomes our franchise QB that we didn't know we had.

But, more realistically, he'll lead us to 10 victories and a playoff berth and then we keep him instead of drafting Bridgewater. Then he'll fizzle out and never have more than 5 wins again in a season while Bridgewater goes on to become the love child made in an orgy featuring Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and Joe Namath.

And we'll be sitting there, saying "Yeah, but did you SEE Hoyer's stats in 2013? Amazing!"

sounds like the DA story part 2.

I can certainly understand cynacism on this. I'm hoping that with his slow up bringing that it could be a longer term solution. I hope!!

sometimes the best grooming for any QB starts with watching and waiting... (Aaron Rogers)

Steve Young started off in the USFL (remember?) then in Tampa Bay and did not have a great start to his career ...

til he got to SF and I think he even waited abit behind Montana...

this trial with Hoyer could be huge or be a bust, but is no different if it were any other high expectation QB coming from the draft.

but in the meantime, it is making Sundays more fun to watch and anticipate?

I do agree that, unless you find some sort of ridiculous All-Star, sitting and waiting is the best way to groom a QB. I also believe that, more often than not, a player lives and dies by the system he's in and the coaching staff around him.

But Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers have had many backups and none of them have gone on to be All-Stars themselves. There's only so much that someone can learn.

Hopefully, Hoyer is more of a Brady or Rodgers clone than a Flynn clone.

We'll find out. I just know he has a TON of "insider" fans who like to claim him. Phil Simms loves the hell out of him and he's one of many, obviously including Lombardi.

Here's what I've seen: Spot accuracy, compact release, gets the ball out out fast, nice but not overwhelming mobility, can make every throw but won't "wow" you (about like the 50% of NFL starters between "cannon" and "noodle"). I also saw a few glaring mistakes. Seems to be fiery and takes charge of the huddle, seems to be smart and/or football smart.

Again... I'm intrigued. He's been intriguing me for the three years the Browns have been talking about him!

We'll find out. I just know he has a TON of "insider" fans who like to claim him. Phil Simms loves the hell out of him and he's one of many, obviously including Lombardi.

Here's what I've seen: Spot accuracy, compact release, gets the ball out out fast, nice but not overwhelming mobility, can make every throw but won't "wow" you (about like the 50% of NFL starters between "cannon" and "noodle"). I also saw a few glaring mistakes. Seems to be fiery and takes charge of the huddle, seems to be smart and/or football smart.

Again... I'm intrigued. He's been intriguing me for the three years the Browns have been talking about him!

His overall game management is much better than we've seen in some time as well. If he keeps up the good and limits the turn overs.........we may have something!

No guarantees what may happen, but Hoyer is smart & decisive with TOUCH on his passes. Those are things we've seen little (if any) of from any other Browns' QBs since the return. Don't give me the "physical shortages" either, or I will throw out a 5'9" 185 lb undrafted WR who ran a 4.65 40.....ever hear of Wes Welker? I want to see a lot more of Hoyer. Yes, he threw some picks, but he came back & led us to a W. Besides, were the picks all his or maybe, just MAYBE due to a misrun route by a WR? In addition, the players around him played better. That says a lot about our QB.

I'm not ready to ordain Hoyer after one game, but I DO like what he brings to the position. Time will tell whether or not it's enough. We'll see.

Mike

I do agree that, unless you find some sort of ridiculous All-Star, sitting and waiting is the best way to groom a QB. I also believe that, more often than not, a player lives and dies by the system he's in and the coaching staff around him.

But Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers have had many backups and none of them have gone on to be All-Stars themselves. There's only so much that someone can learn.

Hopefully, Hoyer is more of a Brady or Rodgers clone than a Flynn clone.

for sure

Actually...there's a lot you don't know about. Part of that information is anything about football.

And this post has nothing to do with hoyer. Its about you....a clueless fantasy football fag.

Who me? I don't play fantasy football.

Why Do Some People Hype Up Hoyer?

'Cause he ain't lost us no games as the Browns' startin' quarterback yet.

Rodgers backed up Favre, Brady backed up Bledsoe, and Phillip Rivers backed up Brees.

But Curtis Painter might skew the numbers more in your direction when it is all tallied.

Rodgers was a first round pick. Rivers was a top 5 pick.

Not exactly drafted to be backups.

this said (zombo) would be a hollywood grammy winning movie if the home-town kid made good and won us 8 games this year.

of course it wouldn't be on the scale of 'rudy' or any other fantastical sports movie

BUT

it sure is hell would make me feel better knowing the fans can see this kid can play and take the #1 trump card (franchise QB) out of lombardi's hands.

Archived