THE BROWNS BOARD

HUGE Hoyer V. Weeden Stat

Shep

And somebody would wonder why the Browns line graded out so well last week? Or why it was so bad when it was expected to be so good, just because of a veteran guard stepping into an otherwise excellent group?

It was Weeden.

Great #Browns QB stat over on @ESPN. Hoyer avged 2.77 secs in throwing the ball after the snap. Weeden aved 4.28 secs. 1.51 sec diff is HUGE

Now Hoyer's feeling all buzzy and psyched, playing "on the same ground Bernie played on," and all the Bengals DBs are dinged. He gets the ball out too fast for a pass rush to really rattle him (Vikings are an excellent pass rush team). He's teed up for a really exciting day. Hope Lauvao is well and McGahee shakes off the rust to help him out.

It's obvious Hoyer's release is faster than Weeden's, but I would argue that the averages would be much closer if Gordon played in the first two games. No one was getting open for Weeden. That does not excuse any poor throws or Weeden's inability to throw the ball away, but I don't think we are giving Gordon enough credit in those statistics..

Still pumped to watch Hoyer play this weekend and hope he can continue to play well against a good team.

It's obvious Hoyer's release is faster than Weeden's, but I would argue that the averages would be much closer if Gordon played in the first two games. No one was getting open for Weeden. That does not excuse any poor throws or Weeden's inability to throw the ball away, but I don't think we are giving Gordon enough credit in those statistics..

Still pumped to watch Hoyer play this weekend and hope he can continue to play well against a good team.

Then someone can just get the stats from last season when Weeden did have Gordon and he probably still had a subpar average release time. Not that everything should be about this stat, Tom Brady takes plenty of time to throw sometimes when he has a great oline blocking for him.

Sure some of the difference may be attributable to Gordon's return...

Some could be game plan as well...

And the line played better to be sure.

But then Hoyer had to play with the gloom of the TR trade hanging over the offnse...

Hoyer looked the part of a decisive gunslinger...

Wheezy just looks gunshy...

I thought I saw a glimpse of leadership from Wheezy in game 2...

I know I saw leadership often in Hoyer in game 3.

It could be thelaycalling is different with Hoyer in rather than Weeden as well. Route breaks and patterns could have been shortened knowing Hoyers arm strength is much weaker than Weeden's. In high school, our starting QB and backup QB both broke their collarbones in the same game and we used a freshman QB for the last few games. Our WR's were taught to shorten every route by half. 10 yd square ins became 5, 15 yard post breaks became 7, etc. also the line was told to cut block on nearly every play.

Regardless, Hoyer earned his opportunity to start this week by winning. Weeden did not. Hoyer made the game more exciting and certainly looked the part of a starting QB. I wish him well.

Playcalling, sure. Gordon, definitely. I think (aka hope) it's Hoyer's "smarts/it/being around Brady" and he's reading what he's got pre-snap and in the half-second after the snap better than Weeden.

Not saying he'll always get it right, but I think Hoyer was looking down the field (mainly Gordon and Cameron) and if it wasn't there, going to check down or throw it OB. The main thing is, even if he's not perfect with what he's seeing, Hoyer's making that read right away and trusting himself while Weeden - as has been said - is late by pro standards in seeing the open guy once he's already open. Even with that stat, we saw more nice plays down the field last week, so it wasn't all dump offs and stuff defenses should easily adjust to. (We go from one of the worst defenses to one of the best though today, so...sink or swim)

If we can take advantage of the injured Cincy CBs, the difference could be, probably needs to be, Bess being the man for a few first downs (like he has been) and Benjamin turning a couple quick, easy throws into big YAC.(like he hasn't been). And have to make Dalton hate life today. Going down being aggressive on D >>> Letting there weapons pick us apart.

Guys, Hoyer's head is on a swivel for those 3 seconds vs Weeden's 4.5 second "tractor beam" lock-on.

Absolutely nothing to due with arm-strength, Gordon, or O'neill Cousins.

I doubt it has "absolutely nothing" to do with those things.

Everything is connected.

Well of course, but it's not like Weeden just developed this problem.

I agree. Weeden seemed to have the dreaded slow eyes coming out of college. But I was very excited to see what he could do with a full season under his belt and a viable TE.

Alas, it is not to be.

Hoyer seems to be a student of the game, a la Brady, but it has only been one game. I'll withhold my judgment until he gets at least 3 or 4 games under his belt.

Archived