THE BROWNS BOARD

Do We Take QB #1 If Hoyer Goes 8-8?

Soju

What record does Hoyer have to go (because he will be starting for the rest of season) for you to draft a QB with the first pick?

This always happens though, we are destined for a bad season, get a qb in there, usually a back up, that tears it up, think we have soneone special, then sucks ever year after and we lose out on drafting a franchise QB.

One real big difference is the amount of talent we have now compared to the past. Savage and crennel really screwed us talent wise. Heckert did bring in some pretty good players and left this new FO in much better shape than when he took over. With better players any QB has a much better chance to succeed here now. But they have to have some talent and Hoyer seems to have some. Just hope for the best and be happy that we are the only winners in the AFCN today

What record does Hoyer have to go (because he will be starting for the rest of season) for you to draft a QB with the first pick?

This always happens though, we are destined for a bad season, get a qb in there, usually a back up, that tears it up, think we have soneone special, then sucks ever year after and we lose out on drafting a franchise QB.

Yes, the question is legitimate, but then you had to add the negative shit... which I'll ignore...

It depends on:

- what role Hoyer plays in getting us to whatever our final record ends up being... I'm still stricking with my 6 - 10 projection for now... and his continued starting is still not a given...

- the final draft order, us and Indy... who is looking better than I thought they would...

- the QBs I love and the ones I like...

The key is if I love/ like a QB that is there when my next pick is up and I do not believe he will be there when my following pick occurs... then I take him.

It matters not when what round the to which you apply the above.. 1st... 5th... 7th...

but in the 1st you better be drafting your eventual starter.

If Hoyer keeps playing this well, I'd say he's earned the starting QB position for next year. Better to focus on shoring up other parts of the offense: OL, WR, RB first, and any remaining holes on defense second. I'd say it also comes down trying to evaluate the draft class for the year after next.

If Hoyer plays well for the rest of the year, and the 2015 draft class looks like it will be deep at QB, then I'd skip drafting a QB for 2014. If Hoyer doesn't pan out for the rest of the season (but I think he will), or if he does pan out but the 2015 draft class doesn't look like it will be deep at QB, I'd draft a QB in 2014, let him sit and learn behind Hoyer. If you end up with two good QBs, that's a nice problem to have, maybe get you some nice draft picks in a trade for one of them.

Depends on what he looks like. He could have a Derek Anderson year where he shows some flashes and has some huge mishaps. If that's the case definitely take one. With the way our defense is looking, I dont think it's inconceivable to go 8-8 and Hoyer have only a mediocre at best year. I can't even pretend to know how to evaluate a QB correctly, and I didnt catch the game last week, but he seemed poised, quick in his decision making and make the correct reads.

The Bengals are no slouch of a defense either, even with Leon Hall out. Reggie Nelson I dont think is a huge improvement over Taylor Mays either, so I'm not gonna say he was a big missing part. They got one of the toughest and quickest DL we will see all season, and they had a respectable but not spectacular 3 sacks today.

Time will tell, but I dont know if we take a QB #1 if Hoyer goes 8-8, but regardless I think we will take one sometime.

If Hoyer keeps playing like a top third NFL quarterback why in the world would you waste a number one pick on a crap shoot? Maybe if there were a Terry Bradshaw or an Andrew Luck or a Joe Namath or a John Elway sitting there but to toss a couple first round picks away on a Teddy Twatwater??? Come on.

Face it, if they do take a quarterback with the first pick then whoever we have now will be gone soon. You don't purchase a first round quarterback to back up your current starter.

Trade down and get a few other needs taken care of. You can probably get the best guard in the draft in the second round.

Unless, of course, Hoyer turns out to really suck. But then we just committed to a quarterback that, even if he does suck, we are stuck with for at least two or three seasons.

WSS

If Hoyer keeps playing like a top third NFL quarterback why in the world would you waste a number one pick on a crap shoot? Maybe if there were a Terry Bradshaw or an Andrew Luck or a Joe Namath or a John Elway sitting there but to toss a couple first round picks away on a Teddy Twatwater??? Come on.

Face it, if they do take a quarterback with the first pick then whoever we have now will be gone soon. You don't purchase a first round quarterback to back up your current starter.

WSS

I agree with you Steve however,I can a see a scenario where Hoyer continues to do well and you bring the new QB along much in the way Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 3 years and you continue to stock pile the team in vital areas...

Nickers how old was Brett Favre when they brought in Aaron Rodgers?

Hoyer isn't exactly a crafty old veteran with a few years left on the clock...

WSS

I get what your saying bro...I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility...not that I agree totally with that scenario..Id rather that Hoyer progressed as he seems to be doing...and negate the need to waste picks for a QB that has no guarantee of being succsesful

I feel silly for participating in this, especially coming off the Cinci Win.

The Buckeye homer in me thinks we could pick up Kenny Guyton (sp) as a late round pick UDFA and he would be worlds better than Weeden.

While I am participating in this silliness, I will engage in conspiracy. As long as the Browns keep winning, and/or Hoyer keeps looking good I think Weeden will remain injured. Even if he comes back he should sit behind Hoyer.

The record shouldn't really matter for Hoyer, our defense is good enough to keep us in the game, what really matters is how he looks the rest of the season. Next yrs QB draft has a lot of potential both in terms of talent and depth, if Hoyer continues to play at the level he has been(or better) I would suggest using our first round picks on WR and O-line, 2nd rd best RB or, CB, available 3rd round whatever you didn't take in the 2nd and QB, if he doesn't and they decide to go QB early then just switch the QB with my O-line pick.

Archived