THE BROWNS BOARD

Do We Take QB #1 If Hoyer Goes 8-8?

Soju

Mayyyyyyyybe....Weeds will see how Hoyer sees the field, and reacts so quickly...that he could...maybe...

compensate for his usual no fire approach to quarterbacking. Back in basic, I used to get in trouble for smiling

when one of our TI's was yelling. Well, he was funny. And he did it on purpose. Some of us maybe set a record for

pushups for grinning and doing pushups. In that order, ...

Our other TI, Sgt. Thompson, was a mean SOB every second. Maybe off duty too. I never had any trouble with him,

except for one misunderstanding. He was going to kill me once, but it wasn't my fault.

But Sgt. Reyes? Damn comedian. We'd be marching, and he'd suddenly stop us, clown around, then make us

do 50 pushups again for reacting to his clown crap.

This is how I see Weeds. He's just too cool, no fire. But he's worse, he's grinning on and off the field, with

no intensity. Hey, I got real serious and intense in basic when it was necessary. I'm not sure Weeden would

make it through basic...

I don't believe there is any "learning how to get 'it'..". But maybe he could improve enough, to remain

the backup, so the Browns don't have to draft a qb in the first round next year.

Hoyer, yes, needs to earn that respect the rest of the year. So far, though, Hoyer looks like a Brian Sipe to

some of us - hope he keeps growing into the starter role.

Frankly, for some reason, I don't see definate immediate star qb's in next year's draft. I don't why...

It's impossible to say right now, really. Hoyer was good in his first game and better in his second. He's 2-0. How far can this go? He's a very smart quarterback with almost no real holes in his game. He's smart, he's mobile, he's accurate, he's decisive, he's a leader, and he can zip it just fine. Considering he's only started two games in this offense, it's not off the table at all that he could be great.

Put it this way: Kurt Warner has nothing over Brian Hoyer physically. In fact, they have very similar arms and Hoyer is more mobile. An enormous amount of playing that position well happens between the ears and I really believe Hoyer has IT.

All that said, of course we'll draft a quarterback. Somewhere. Because Weeden will be cut or traded. It's the Ron Wolf theory: You draft one every year... especially when you have 10 freaking picks and 30 freaking million dollars. Where depends on what Hoyer does between now and the end of the season.

I really want Chud to just commit to him for the rest of the year. I'm hoping one more good start Thursday does that.

What record does Hoyer have to go (because he will be starting for the rest of season) for you to draft a QB with the first pick?

This always happens though, we are destined for a bad season, get a qb in there, usually a back up, that tears it up, think we have soneone special, then sucks ever year after and we lose out on drafting a franchise QB.

Yes....I too would want to Scarlett O'Hara that question (think about it some other time)

While its is only been 2 games I think Hoyer is going to do nothing but get better as he keeps getting more reps with the starters. What its going to come down to is how well he throws the ball in late November and December.

He's a Cleveland bred QB who played college ball in Michigan and pro ball in New England.

I think he's used to the cold weather.

At least, he better be. That's going to be the true test of the TR trade. How will our RB's fare when we don't throw the ball 55 times a game?

If Hoyer keeps playing like he is now you do not draft a QB in the first round. Even those most sure fire prospects are a big roll of the dice. We use all of our picks to shore up the right side of the line, add another shutdown corner and another receiver. I don't really see RB as a high need in the draft either. Maybe add a late round power / goal line back to complement Dion Lewis. I would take a developmental QB somewhere in rounds 3 through 6.

Really can you imagine how good our defense would be with the addition of another top notch corner?

I'll say this: If Hoyer actually gets better as he gains more experience and confidence in the offense, and ends up with a PR of like 90 and we with 7 games? I wouldn't draft a quarterback in the first round.

But I probably would in the second round. With those extra picks, you can trade up to that storied first pick of the second round to get Manziel or whoever slips out of the first round. Just depends on who the Browns like. I do know they're scouting the shit out of Johnny Cash, so it might be him.

Archived